• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

The problem is I see with the Vita is that the focus was to create console games for a handheld and that failed miserably for some titles. With this Nintendo might do the same becuase it's hybrid and to design games to fit both and lose their fantastic handheld focus games.

I'm expecting Nintendo to do both and a chunk of the 3rd party support will probably be from devs that supported the 3DS and indies.

Xenoflare

Umm... What is your problem with OLED? Is it the amazing contrast ratios, saturated colors, better battery life?

Cheap OLED panels that is.

Burn in, calibrations, and the pentile matrix oh and the dreaded mura spots

Giving Nintendo's track record on the 3DS XL screens I won't hold my breath. I went through 3 NXLs with grossly different panels in terms of color temperature, and yes I do know there are both IPS and TN panels floating around.

If they can pull off Samsung S7 levels in terms of color and consistency, sure, but I doubt it if they are going to use AMOLED in the first place.

LCD is much more likely

gamerMan

UoTzbhM.png

Fascinating and not too crazy.

Makes no sense. The detachable controllers doesn't even make sense from a design standpoint especially if there are 2. How would you even play a game like that on the go? Also how practical would that thing be to carry in your pocket. If there were 2 controllers, you would have to have awfully tiny fingers to play that thing. Let's just say it has a 5 inch screen.The 3DS already feels cramped.

This is all too predictable. Also, how is this a "new way to play?" I am failing to see how the casual crowd would be interested in this. It's essentially a successor to the Wii U. They should call it the Wii U2.

No, people are more attached to their phones. Why spend more money to carry around something that causes more clutter?

Shield Tablets aren't a hit when they were claimed to be gaming systems on the go. Honestly I think the era of handhelds are coming to a close.

Shield tablet has sold fairly well, but no ody buys Android devices for gaming as the number of good android games is still absurdly low.

(And I own a shield TV nd shield tablet)

JClarke

Banned
I'm in. I've never been excited for a Nintendo home console before, but I've always appreciated their handhelds (even though i don't own one)

This seems like an excellent move

I actually like this a lot more if I think of it as the 3DS successor... that also plugs into a TV.

It's one hell of a leap forward in tech, and will have a ton of games. The same Japanese third parties that jumped on board 3DS will likely be ready to support NX here.

When you think of it as a Wii U successor... the picture is a lot more grim lol. underpowered and really doesn't seem to go after what the world is looking for in a new, video game console in 2017.

but as a 3DS successor? it's fucking sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
I didn't think of it this way with the 3ds, but I agree. It is an awesome evolution of the 3ds. As a console? I'm as interested in it as I was with the Wii U. Which was no interest at all, sadly. Who knows? Nintendo might change my mind when they showcase it.

Seik

Banned
I'm concerned about the power of NX. Just a small upgrade from Wii U seems super disappointing.

At home, you'll be using your TV with NX.

Well, in terms of flops it's something around 3X stronger than the Wii U.

If it doesn't have a second screen to substain like the Wii U, it could squeeze a descent IQ...but that's just speculations.

pixelation

Oh how i wish Nintendo would just go 3rd party already, only then would we get their franchises running on decently powered hardware. Nintendo can do no... good.

Why do i have to love their stupid franchises so much?

Ok, I was wrong GAF, I was pretty adamant that it wouldn't be a weird hybrid thing but if it's region free I'll still bite quickly because that's why I adore my vita

BedBison

Neo Member
I don't see any reason why Nintendo should have made a console on par with PS4/XBO without any gimmicks. Why would anyone buy a NX over a PS4/XBO when the PS4/XBO already has a library of 3+ years built up for the same price? The other consoles would be an obvious choice for the consumer. On top of that, the NX would have just been overpowered by the Neo/Scorpio anyways. Nintendo is 3 years too late to compete.

This is a far better opition. It would basically have double the output of the 3DS or Wii U. While I'm worried about western 3rd party support, I feel like Japanese devs will be quick to jump on to NX so the can capitalize on the handheld market. If this is somewhere between Wii U and Xbox One in power, I can see Japanese 3rd parties doing PS4/NX multiplats to get the handheld market. If NX gets Pokemon, Yokai, Monster Hunter, and Animal Crossing (and I don't see why it wouldn't) those alone will give it a solid userbase in Japan that would entice Japanese devs.

It would be alot harder to get western third parties on board though, in which case Nintendo would have to sell NX in the west on Japanese 3rd parties and first party stuff alone, which I think could do respectible, of not mindblowing, numbers.

The thing it comes down to, I think, is price. $200 would be the sweet spot, $250 max. I'm not sure Nintendo could do that without taking a hit though.

Russ T

Banned
I hope this is true. I also hope it's incomplete. I really want that Supplemental Computing Device stuff to be a part of this.

This is actually exactly what I was hoping. I handheld device that can hook up to your TV. Hopefully the reveal is no later than September because the wait to hear about this goddamn thing has been way too long.

The problem is I see with the Vita is that the focus was to create console games for a handheld and that failed miserably for some titles. With this Nintendo might do the same becuase it's hybrid and to design games to fit both and lose their fantastic handheld focus games.

The whole "Nintendo makes portable games, not watered down version so console experiences" argument falls apart when you look at the number of console games and console styled games on the 3DS.

The only real "bite sized " gaming experiences are on mobile these days.

For ergonomics it depends. The original 3DS is too small, but I find that the XL models are suuuuper comfortable. I'm not sure which is the one you had trouble with, but I guess it's true that experiences vary.

Only comfortable handheld I've used is 2DS. A flat slab will make playing the new Zelda a miserable experience IMO. If they go that route, hopefully there's an aftermarket grip made not long after launch.

aBarreras

Oh how i wish Nintendo would just go 3rd party already, only then would we get their franchises running on decently powered hardware. Nintendo can do no... good.

Why do i have to love their stupid franchises so much?

i thougth there werent decently powered hardware this gen, thats why scorpio and neo exists.

also, and here you are begging for their franchises

Peterc

Samsung phones have a high resolution screen and cost $700.....

Image result for samsung s6 production cost
The answer is no. Based on our teardown costing methodology, the Samsung Galaxy S6 costs approximately $275.50** to produce, while the Apple iPhone 6 bill of materials only adds up to $228.

Ok so following you the NX is an underpowerd smartphone with following included:

connect-smartphone-with-led-tv.jpg

PhoneJoy-Play-Game-Controller-for-Smartphones-1.jpg

The Light

It is more of a portable than a console? I can see the appeal, but I don't think 3rd parties going to jump on board for this. Guess it makes sense for nintendo as there handhelds seems to have more mindshare than their consoles and now all resources are focused on one device.

Not really feeling it tbh, but i don't game on the go anymore so I'm probably not their target with this.

The trouble with this is it includes the DS, something which only one console has ever outsold. Every console this gen will look like a failure compared to it.

That doesn't explain why 3DS peaked so early in its lifespan, or why you think NX would reverse that trend.

If 3DS had sold 60M while following a normal, healthy sales curve for a platform with a 5-year lifespan, that would be one thing, but it hasn't at all.

The whole "Nintendo makes portable games, not watered down version so console experiences" argument falls apart when you look at the number of console games and console styled games on the 3DS.

Exactly... I think Smash Bros is an example of this done super well. Hyrule Warriors... not so much, but the intent was there.

Mexen

Some of my best moments in gaming have been on Nintendo hand helds. I wished that some of them would come to console even as remakes (Golden Sun, anyone?).

If this is true and it turns out that the library will be shared then count me the fuck in.

Pandy

No, people are more attached to their phones. Why spend more money to carry around something that causes more clutter?

Shield Tablets aren't a hit when they were claimed to be gaming systems on the go. Honestly I think the era of handhelds are coming to a close.

The more I think about it, the more this rumour just seems like a re-purposed Shield design. If there was nothing more to the system to elevate it then it would be pretty much DOA. (Wouldn't get close to 3DS sales)

I'd probably end up getting one just to play Nintendo games, but as we discovered with the WiiU there aren't enough people willing to do that to drive system sales to strong levels.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that this is either nonsense, or there's a big piece of the puzzle missing.

EDIT: Subconscious double use of 'the more I think about it'. Maybe I'm thinking about this too much. :)

I travel a lot. This seems dope.

In my old age, I've drifted away from consoles to handhelds for this very reason. My gaming PC is nice and all, but my 3DS on intercontinental flights keeps me from ripping off the emergency door and jumping out of the plane just to make the soul-crushing boredom go away.

I-hate-u

1 system for all Nintendo games, handheld or console, is a future I want to live in. Though I highly doubt they will phase out 3DS anytime soon.

Jubenhimer

UoTzbhM.png

Makes no sense. The detachable controllers doesn't even make sense from a design standpoint especially if there are 2. How would you even play a game like that on the go? Also how practical would that thing be to carry in your pocket. If there were 2 controllers, you would have to have awfully tiny fingers to play that thing. Let's just say it has a 5 inch screen.The 3DS already feels cramped.

This is all too predictable. Also, how is this a "new way to play?" I am failing to see how the casual crowd would be interested in this. It's essentially a successor to the Wii U. They should call it the Wii U2.

That's why I'm not buying any of this. This sounds like the same needlessly complicated nightmare the Wii U suffered from. And I fail to see how this would add any meaningful gameplay benefit.

maxcriden

Some of my best moments in gaming have been on Nintendo hand helds. I wished that some of them would come to console even as remakes (Golden Sun, anyone?).

If this is true and it turns out that the library will be shared then count me the fuck in.

The library won't need to be shared. All HH games will definitely be playable on the dock. I guess it's possible some games would require the theoretical extra juice of the dock, if there is any, but I imagine most every game Nintendo at least releases will be playable on the go.

Nintendo Stay'r'Go.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I actually like this a lot more if I think of it as the 3DS successor... that also plugs into a TV.

It's one hell of a leap forward in tech, and will have a ton of games. The same Japanese third parties that jumped on board 3DS will likely be ready to support NX here.

When you think of it as a Wii U successor... the picture is a lot more grim lol. underpowered and really doesn't seem to go after what the world is looking for in a new, video game console in 2017.

but as a 3DS successor? it's fucking sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

The thing is, in order to think of it that way you have to accept that Nintendo has left the console market. That's the hard part.

Then again, people here can't wrap their heads around a handheld using cartridges...

crash-14

I doubt this will make Nintendo be a success again.

Will see if it's profitable for them cause I doubt they can pull out again the Wii/Wii U "cheap tech" formula again...

adroit

Anyone else think this sounds like another hoax? I suppose in a post-Iwata Nintendo anything is possible. But this "leak" smells more like fanwankery than an actual Nintendo product to me.

I'm prepared to eat a plate full of Krispy Fried Crow (KFC) if I'm wrong.

hemo memo

Gold Member

Aside from the 2 Zelda remasters, what Nintendo game that feel like a watered down console experince?

Gitaroo

didn't the google c tablet with X1 turn out very mediocre compare to ipad pro? Ipad pro can't even produce graphics close to half decent xbone 1 games, people really are expecting miracle here. And for nintendo adopting X2, is even less likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom