• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waji

I'm not a "fan" of Nintendo or anyone, but I think it's a great idea on the paper.
Let's see how the usual "new versions" go (like 3ds, New 3ds, 3DSLL...)

Mediking

Japanese developers like Atlus and Koei and Namco and maybe even Square Enix to some degree will be there for NX.

Netherrealm Studios might toss Injustice 2. Warner Bros. might toss some games.

But guys like Rockstar and CDPR? That's the real question. Cyberpunk 2077 on the go does sound incredible to me. It would be amazing. Same goes for GTA6. If the NX can get those games on the go................................. along with high quality Nintendo games........... and cool quirky JRPGS.............................

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If this is legit, my ride on the NX hype elevator has reversed course and is heading toward the basement.

I was looking for a console, not a mobile device which connects to the TV. I just don't want to carry around any other device other than my phone. My iphone 6 plus is too big already.

This is great for a successor to the 3DS. A nice powerful handheld, but I'm underwhelmed at the idea of using this as a console.

I'm really hoping there's more to it than this because if it's just a handheld, it better be priced right. I'm not spending more than $200 for a dedicated gaming handheld.

Opposite for me. As I get older I have less time in front of the TV and my kids are often using it. This will let me play anywhere but not limit me to handheld size screens. I might even buy a couple of docks if they're affordable and have one in the living room and another attached to my PC monitor

Trogdor1123

Sounds pretty awful to me... Definitely interested in how it turns out but I am not overly interested in it anymore. Seems seriously underpowered...

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Considering that it would supposedly use cartridges. I hope you'd be able to play 3DS and DS games on it. Would be a really cool bonus.

oti

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

I don't like this

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What if this is just one form factor? Who is to say the company doesn't also release a traditional console with the same architecture?

Like a cheaper Apple TV style variant (no screen, no battery)?

I could see that, but it would presumably be the same power level.

ZeroX03

Banned
People have this idea that the dock would contain a supplemental GPU. It's theoretically possible, but I consider it incredibly unlikely simply due to the price they want to sell this whole system at.

Didn't Nintendo's patents indicate multiple/supplementary processors on a docking system?

I expect higher clock rates on a powered dock at the very least, maybe cooling. If the dock has more than that it'd be adding a chunk to the cost or some weird sold separately deal.

Kimawolf

Nintendo GO is a Horrible name! Sony already released a system named GO. Why would Nintendo want to associate with that failure?

Nintendo Portable, NP is much better.

Jarmel

Banned
This reminds me of the Microsoft Surface articles when it was first announced. "It's a half-assed tablet, AND a half-assed laptop!" Yeah, no.

People like convenience and multipurpose function. It's elegant, a one-stop shop for (most) things Nintendo, and should sell boatloads.

Very excited.

The Surface also costs $1500.

Genio88

Considering this is getting an HD Pokemon game, I think we'll be fine then.

Yes, a finally full HD and with decent graphics Pokemon RPG will be awesome, i just hope they looked at the Pokemon Go success, which features the first gen Pokemon, and they'll put those first 151 in the newer game

Can someone explain how this is any better than a setup like the PS Vita and PSV TV? Why make something so complicated?
I guess you wouldn't have to But two separate things, and that's assuming it doesn't get a boost from the dock.

Yes, a finally full HD and with decent graphics Pokemon RPG will be awesome, i just hope they looked at the Pokemon Go success, which features the first gen Pokemon, and they'll put those first 151 in the newer game
They've done this since Diamond and Pearl 10 years ago.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So how is this meant to work when you're playing on the TV? Do we still have to use a controller with a screen in it or do we detach both of the side controller things from the screen and stick them together to make a controller? I hope controllers we buy for local multiplayer won't be too expensive.

You detached the controllers from the screen part, and slot the screen into a dock which connect to the tv. Seems the controllers will be seperated, but i guess you can buy a shell to combine em as one too

Kolx

So no bc and no graphical party which will affect 3rd party support smh. I might just hold on my WiiU if so and play Nin old games. Also, what's the point behind cartilage? Does it really have any advantages nowadays as it used to?

Yado

All the buttons are clickable scroll buttons. A,B,X,Y, D-PAD...everything. Nintendo Scroll.

I think it could work if you have joysticks on the left and right on the front, under them is the d pad on one side and abxy on the other.

On the top right and left at the back are the clickable scroll wheel things/triggers and at the bottom left and right on the back are triggers. These things at the back will be accessible to our index fingers when the controllers are being held on its side and when they're attached to the screen in an upright position you just use your index fingers for the top triggers, and little fingers for the triggers at the bottom.

I know I'm right. Bookmark this post.

gunstarhero

So confused by this detachable controllers rumor...

Assuming the system has a dual analogue controller, how will the 2 detachable controllers support this?

When in portable form, it's easy to imagine an analog on each side of the screen, but when detached... then what? Each player would only have 1 analogue stick each.

Unless the portable form has 4 sticks. LOL. O_O

DizzyCrow

I guess you wouldn't have to But two separate things, and that's assuming it doesn't get a boost from the dock.

They've done this since Diamond and Pearl 10 years ago.
Most Nintendo players are already buying just one, why force something they don't want? And if the dock gives it a boost, why not just have a more powerful console? This doesn't make practical sense

So no bc and no graphical party which will affect 3rd party support smh. I might just hold on my WiiU if so and play Nin old games. Also, what's the point behind cartilage? Does it really have any advantages nowadays as it used to?
Cartridges are much faster and can store more data afaik. More sturdy too.

I think they'll sell it in 3 configurations:

Screen only
Screen + controller
Screen + controller + dock

With one game purchase that can be played (for better or worse) on any of the configurations. Can offer games cheaper ie retricted modes for "screen only" config, pay to upgrade to the "controller" experience, pay to upgrade to the "TV/HD" experience.. Maybe lol

Different configs gives them a price point at every market segment; kids, dedicated handheld gamer, dedicated console gamer.

What if this is just one form factor? Who is to say the company doesn't also release a traditional console with the same architecture?

Because why would they? The point seems to be an all in one device to avoid the hardware the software costs of creating two devices. Same reason I'd be shocked if the dock has any additional power other than maybe up scaling.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, it's a handheld, so it's not feasible to put a giant disc drive in it.

Er, the regional pokedex may be different for each game, but you're definitely able to have all the Pokemon ever created in one game if it's the newest generation.

No installs and improved load times. Not having to install every 50gb is a huge selling point for me.

orioto

Good Art™
My skills suck to do otherwise, haha! I figure the top screen would be better since it's a better screen ratio, but I got lazy! (At work, LOL!!)

I might try to fix the ratio in a second though, unless someone beats me!

I did it for you quickly

NXPortable.jpg

Wuold be the size of a Vita when buttons out, smaller when slided in i guess.

LucidFlux

I still need more information of course, but I'm intrigued at the notion of a hybrid. I haven't played a handheld since the GBC and I haven't kept a game installed on my phone for more than a day (except for PoGo going 2 weeks strong now) but If the form factor is convenient enough I'll gladly take this on the go with me. I can just imagine doing some side farming for items in Zelda while I'm out and then docking back at home to tackle a dungeon.

Now, those that are concerned about sacrificing performance for the sake of portability, and inferring that this is nothing more than a handheld with an HDMI out are forgetting about the doc and SCD patent. This along with the possibility of multiple SKU options (console only perhaps?) which could even have varying degrees of power for the doc/SCD and then there's the possibility of daisy chaining multiple SCD together as per the patent.

The point is we still don't have too many details yet so we're all just speculating on what this one thing could be but it's obvious now and they've said it themselves, Nintendo is building towards a future where development teams are all working in the same ecosystem so they can bring in new devices of varying degrees of power without interrupting production thanks to common architecture and scalability.

jstripes

Banned
It's just the next phase of "console warz!"

My favorite are the people simply posting "Nintendo never learns", as if creating carbon copies of Sony and Microsoft's devices is the only option for making video games.
Seriously. If Nintendo "simply listened to what gamers wanted", they would have been out of business 10 years ago.

Opposite for me. As I get older I have less time in front of the TV and my kids are often using it. This will let me play anywhere but not limit me to handheld size screens. I might even buy a couple of docks if they're affordable and have one in the living room and another attached to my PC monitor

Same here. I don't play my consoles as much as I used to because I don't get much time in front of the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom