• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Rumor: Guerrilla Games working on open world RPG, too early for E3 reveal

I would love a Sci-Fi RPG from GG, or even set in the Killzone universe.

GG really need to get better at telling the story if their games though. There's so much lore in the Killzone Universe that isn't put across very well in their games.

IMHO if they had made an RPG set in the Killzone Universe and nailed the story, it would be amazing.

Sid

"They" have those games only coming out for their consoles.

I don't know why you're being so dense. Whatever you're trying to accomplish is pointless. Go take a look at all of the exclusives that aren't published by Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft. No one ignores them or doesn't count them for their lineup.
I don't know why you're being so dense when all I'm trying to say is that their first party output for the PS4 is low if all they have for this year are TLoU and DriveClub.

I can only think of one time when he saw a PS4 with some new firmware features and assumed all of them were coming with update 1.7. What are the lots of others?

Yes, he was wrong about update 1.7. I honestly haven't kept a tally of every time he's been wrong, but I've seen people make reference to things he's said before that were wrong.

Even if GG aren't ready to put out a reveal trailer they could still introduce the IP, tease some details and give us an idea when a trailer would be ready.

It's happened before.

But yeah thank god they're moving away from Killzone. They've had enough chances to realise the potential of that series and, the way i see it, they haven't done that.

I'd love a fantasy RPG though; I want to see what that studio could accomplish if they were rendering sunlit forests not rubble strewn streets. Plus, give the writing jobs to someone else pls.

fasTRapid

Banned
Yes, he was wrong about update 1.7. I honestly haven't kept a tally of every time he's been wrong, but I've seen people make reference to things he's said before that were wrong.
Then better find them. You can't just spout things like that and then not back it up.

For me, I take his word as a guy who's actually working in the industry over some uneducated Eurogamer speculation, based on a comment that sounds exactly like what someone who doesn't want to ruin a surprise would say.
I'll keep wearing my E3-tinted sunglasses either way...

That's not the point, it's your hyperbole of "most unique by far" that's throwing me off here. I respect that you think the game was great and whilst I don't agree with the amount of praise it receives I did very much enjoy it's MP.

As far as "unique" goes, mechanically Killzone is not, which to me represents a large portion of what defines a shooter as unique. Titles such as Gears of War and Bulletstorn are a couple of games I think stand out on a mechanical level from last-gen, and while you may not enjoy those titles I think Epic deserve credit for trying to make something different. The Killzone series' main stand out of course is its setting and even then it's not like galactic war between two factions is unheard of. It's various additions of multiplayer modes such as Warzone was very welcome and I'll admit that that is one of Killzone's most appealing features, but besides that I really fail to see where you find Killzone 2 to be the most unique shooter by leaps and bounds..

Killzone 2's cover system is not mechanically unique?

Dusky

Killzone 2's cover system is not mechanically unique?

Well, I'd hardly call it a cover system but regardless "peak and lean" is not unique and Killzone 2 wasn't the first to introduce this mechanic anyway. I don't even think it's featured in Killzone 2 MP, only SP?

RainbowSix 3 had a lean function and I'm sure it goes even further back than that, System Shock 2 had a lean mechanic too if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Probably worth mentioning that I'm not a fan of Killzone's cover system either, it just feels redundant and awkward to use.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The maps and weapons were actually pretty great in killzone 2, and that designer has been back with GG since shadow fall, which has good maps for the most part.

I thought the map design in 2 was terrible, actually. But they're pretty good at world-building.

sublimit

Banned
If they DO announce the game at E3 i hope they show something a bit more substantial than what ND showed of U4.Otherwise i think it would be better if they wait until they are more ready.

Everything he's wrong about is only regarding 1.7

He was right regarding initial PS4 features, Snowdrop and... NHL 15, if I'm not wrong on the last one.

The other stuff he's saying? Unproven yet, because they're all E3 teasers. GG, Bend, 2 Studio Japan titles. Uncharted 3 minutes trailer, etc.

Some Nobody

Everything he's wrong about is only regarding 1.7

He was right regarding initial PS4 features, Snowdrop and... NHL 15, if I'm not wrong on the last one.

The other stuff he's saying? Unproven yet, because they're all E3 teasers. GG, Bend, 2 Studio Japan titles. Uncharted 3 minutes trailer, etc.

This is how it works with any insider:

When they're right: "OUR savior!"

When they're wrong: "Eh, knew that was a lucky guess."

It's weird to me. And no one ever keeps count of how accurate they are or aren't, except internally which is pretty trash.

These guys make gorgeous looking games but after the mess of KZSF I'm kinda worried about this now. I hope we hear something at E3, even if it's too early to show gameplay.

fedexpeon

Banned
I can't wait to play a RPG forest level from GG.
KZSF beginning level is godlike in environmental design.

I hope the series doesn't take place in a post apocalypse world.
Hate the boring brown and dusty world of FO.

It's not a direct quote from the dev.

The devs are saying "I can't say even a word about it!!"

I get that. I am merely questioning the logic of the article.

Even a game that has just barely begun development can have a trailer thrown together from CG or early engine stuff.

From the way the article infers, this deal has been in development for some time. So an E3 reveal would definitely be feasible.

Perhaps even with some gameplay too.

Well, I'd hardly call it a cover system but regardless "peak and lean" is not unique and Killzone 2 wasn't the first to introduce this mechanic anyway. I don't even think it's featured in Killzone 2 MP, only SP?

RainbowSix 3 had a lean function and I'm sure it goes even further back than that, System Shock 2 had a lean mechanic too if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Probably worth mentioning that I'm not a fan of Killzone's cover system either, it just feels redundant and awkward to use.

You lock to cover as much as you would in Gears of War. It's not just a lean and Rainbow Six goes into third person when in cover. Also, it is not redundant at all. It is crucial to the game on higher difficulties.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Too early for an E3 reveal?

Why?

They couldn't just show an announcement trailer? How much effort would that take?

Whenever a dev says something like this close to E3, they're really just trying to dodge the question. "It may be too early" is a complete non-committal statement either way.

Dusky

You lock to cover as much as you would in Gears of War. It's not just a lean and Rainbow Six goes into third person when in cover. Also, it is not redundant at all. It is crucial to the game on higher difficulties.

You've practically just removed the possibility of it being unique by comparing it's cover system to a game that came out before it. I think you answered your own question.

I'll admit I only played the campaign once so I never touched the higher difficulties, but if a mechanic as important as a cover system is only "crucial" in harder settings then I'd say it's poorly designed. From what I remember I didn't find the need to use it and most of all I didn't want to use it simply because it felt uncomfortable and awkward holding L2 and L1 down.

EDIT: I still fail to see why you think it is unique, perhaps if you gave me a breakdown I could address your point better.

Ye and the Last Of Us took 4 years.
They started on TLOU after U2, roughly 3 1/2 years I believe.
TLoU wasn't shown until after UC3 shipped, so it was probably in the dark for that long.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=the+...nnel=fflb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Mcx7U9jCJcqC8QeGoYHgCg

Says it was unveiled GDC in 2011, roughly a year before U3 came out by looks of the first articles's date. If it's not shown at this E3, it might not be shown at next years E3 which means at the absolute least of all it comes out Nov/Dec of 2015 but likely sometimes in 2016, which makes it anywhere between 4 to 5 years in the making.

Sooo

No Sony Santa Monica game at e3 (confirmed by Cory Barlog)
No GG presence at e3

Yeah that's not reassuring.
And given the latest layoffs at Naughty Dog I'm not even sure we'll get an Uncharted demo at this point.

Plus, Sony is quiet as fuck, apart from the Project Beast leak...

Doesn't sound good for me. Still hyped but i think I should lower my expectations.

And given the latest layoffs at Naughty Dog I'm not even sure we'll get an Uncharted demo at this point.

Doesn't sound good for me. Still hyped but i think I should lower my expectations.

So companies should be loud and tell you what you are going to see at E3?

Because if they are quiet they surely have nothing to show, correct?

Bruh. Come on

Servbot24

Banned
If they DO announce the game at E3 i hope they show something a bit more substantial than what ND showed of U4.Otherwise i think it would be better if they wait until they are more ready.

They might tease it just to pad the show. MS showed a ton of stuff that wasn't ready last year to make it look as though they had a good line up. Sony could always do the same if they feel they need to.

RulkezX

What "latest layoffs"

Yup.

My expectations are super low

Servbot24

Banned

It's not E3 yet. What is Sony supposed to say?

And a couple people getting laid off or transferring is not going to sink a game that has a couple years and hundreds of people behind it.

You'll get the Uncharted demo. I am not that optimistic for Sony's show, and no them showing a ton of 3rd party games everyone can play will mean nothing Sony. I really hope we aren't in for another pitiful show like last years. :\

RulkezX

It's not E3 yet. What is Sony supposed to say?

And a couple people getting laid off or transferring is not going to sink a game that has a couple years and hundreds of people behind it.

Some people just see what they want to see.

You'll get the Uncharted demo. I am not that optimistic for Sony's show, and no them showing a ton of 3rd party games everyone can play will mean nothing Sony. I really hope we aren't in for another pitiful show like last years. :

You do realise the show is aimed at the mainstream ( those buying 20 million copies of CoD) and not the *hardcore* fighting list wars on forums ? Both conferences are going to be 3rd party heavy.

Salex_

So companies should be loud and tell you what you are going to see at E3?

Because if they are quiet they surely have nothing to show, correct?

Bruh. Come on
Yeah, I'm sitting here trying to understand this logic. Do people want them to stroke their dicks for 3 weeks? Will going on twitter saying "Our E3 is going to be awesome" change anything? They already said similar things a few months ago.
What "latest layoffs"
People are making things up to confirm their hopes and dreams. I tried informing them, but they refuse to listen to the facts. It's best to ignore them.
You'll get the Uncharted demo. I am not that optimistic for Sony's show, and no them showing a ton of 3rd party games everyone can play will mean nothing Sony. I really hope we aren't in for another pitiful show like last years. :\

They didn't announce games in February this year like they did at the PS4 reveal event. Another thing to consider is that they announced games at every event last year.

E3 should automatically be good because they have to show gameplay footage of the games they already announced and they have 1st/2nd party studios that have been working on a new game for awhile (like Sony Bend, Media Molecule, SCE Londons, etc). I doubt their going to use most of their 12 months of game announcements at E3 like Microsoft did last year though. They have other countries that are important to their business.

Although, it would be a good idea because the perception of having more games seems to revolve around E3.
Show footage of already announced games + announce a bunch of exclusives ---> slowly reveal details, screenshots, and videos throughout the year.

Some people just see what they want to see.

You do realise the show is aimed at the mainstream ( those buying 20 million copies of CoD) and not the *hardcore* fighting list wars on forums ? Both conferences are going to be 3rd party heavy.
My point is clearly aimed at showing 3rd parties with pointless 1 hour exclusives when you have fuck all other than 3-4 games from 1st/2nd party perspective like last year is horrible.

B.O.O.M

My point is clearly aimed at showing 3rd parties with pointless 1 hour exclusives when you have fuck all other than 3-4 games from 1st/2nd party perspective like last year is horrible.

well you're clearly going to be disappointed then.

Those 'pointless' extras as you call them are there to sway multiplat buyers of those multi million sellers. Not only that most of the time those games also carry an exclusive marketing agreement. They are also vital for third party relations for hardware developers. So no, not pointless. You personally not liking them is a different issue altogether

Some of these comments here are just so damn silly. Silence is a bad thing now? For fks sake in the past people were blaming them for revealing too much before E3!

I mean after last year's 'sony-too' mantra being repeated over and over just to be crushed at the event should have taught people something. Think for a second. Why is MS going full on rambo with a month till the actual event?

You can either believe the PR fluff OR see their sales are struggling and that the gap in sales is increasing even in their strongest markets and hence they HAVE to act as such. Sony is not in the same situation and hence they are using a different approach.

As for Stig's thing. It's an absolute shame. I loved his work in GOW3 so I am very disappointed. But one game getting cancelled isn't going to be as damaging as some are trying to push these days. This is Sony. Thanks to PS3 troubles they woke the fk up and built an impressive strong first party. The last thing one should worry is the number of exclusives from Sony.

Also people are quick to forget sony actually spreads out their reveals well across TGS/GC/E3. Much better than the competition, especially MS.

I think lowering my expectations is way more legit than thinking "they are quiet because they want to surprise us! they have a billion games to show !".

Latest releases, announcements and news from Sony studios aren't enthousiasting me. That's how I feel. I only ask to be surprised.

Well, actually give me my Uncharted (and don't make an open world, please) and you're already half-redeemed for your faults (like killing Studio Liverpool).

Edit: Oh, and about Santa Monica, are people telling that apart from God of War Ascension which released last year, Cory project which has just begun and Stig's project which has been canned, they have ANOTHER game which could be ready to show ?
Come on, obviously you can still hope, you always can, but the rational conclusion to me is that we simply won't see any game frome their internal team at E3.

B.O.O.M

The thing is Sony has not been silent.

I don't know where this came from.

Yep but I think they are trying to say not 'loud' enough lol As in why aren't they going nuts and revealing at least a few BIG reveals already like MS? Taking a few seconds to think about it would make the answer clear to anyone...but alas not many are doing it. So hence, They are so silent...I'm worried comments come in abundance

Yup.

My expectations are super low

They're in a position of strength sales wise, they don't need to be rushing out announcements or anything, they can afford to give games the proper time in the oven to show off well to the press etc.

I think Sony will have a great show, they have just done pretty well with keeping leaks low (except for Project Beast)

Loudninja

Regarding E3? Yes they have.
Not talking about E3.

Yep but I think they are trying to say not 'loud' enough lol As in why aren't they going nuts and revealing at least a few BIG reveals already like MS? Taking a few seconds to think about it would make the answer clear to anyone...but alas not many are doing it. So hence, They are so silent...I'm worried comments come in abundance
I not sure what some people want them to do really.

Salex_

I think lowering my expectations is way more legit than thinking "they are quiet because they want to surprise us! they have a billion games to show !".

Latest releases, announcements and news from Sony studios aren't enthousiasting me. That's how I feel. I only ask to be surprised.
Seems like you're taking news up one ear and closing out the other ear. Or maybe you feel this way because the media is only reporting when someone leaves a studio?

Out of curiosity, did you know that SSM has over 200 employees and was still hiring before and after the big article/thread about the layoffs? Did you know that SCE London Studios, Sony Bend, Guerrilla Cambridge, Media Molecule, Japan Studios (might be Project Beast and TLG is still alive according to Sony), Tarsier Studios, and the other 1st/2nd party studios have been working on AA/AAA PS4 games?

Knowing this information, how can you come to the conclusion of them not having anything to announce? What do you think all these studios are doing?

EDIT: Okay, you said it might not be a good E3. I think it should be pretty great. It all depends on if they think making a big splash at E3 is better than spreading out their announcements. Personally, I want them to go big at E3. It'll get rid of the no games/nothing to announce meme and give people games to be excited for. They can slowly reveal more info, screenshots, and videos over the year. Microsoft did this approach last year and the response has been great as you can see on this forum. I'm not sure how this marketing is working, but it created the perception of more announced X1 exclusives than the reality.

well you're clearly going to be disappointed then.

Those 'pointless' extras as you call them are there to sway multiplat buyers of those multi million sellers. Not only that most of the time those games also carry an exclusive marketing agreement. They are also vital for third party relations for hardware developers. So no, not pointless. You personally not liking them is a different issue altogether

Some of these comments here are just so damn silly. Silence is a bad thing now? For fks sake in the past people were blaming them for revealing too much before E3!

I mean after last year's 'sony-too' mantra being repeated over and over just to be crushed at the event should have taught people something. Think for a second. Why is MS going full on rambo with a month till the actual event?

You can either believe the PR fluff OR see their sales are struggling and that the gap in sales is increasing even in their strongest markets and hence they HAVE to act as such. Sony is not in the same situation and hence they are using a different approach.

As for Stig's thing. It's an absolute shame. I loved his work in GOW3 so I am very disappointed. But one game getting cancelled isn't going to be as damaging as some are trying to push these days. This is Sony. Thanks to PS3 troubles they woke the fk up and built an impressive strong first party. The last thing one should worry is the number of exclusives from Sony.

Also people are quick to forget sony actually spreads out their reveals well across TGS/GC/E3. Much better than the competition, especially MS.
I have yet to meet a single person in real life that gives a shit about these 1 hour exclusives. For people, it's usually what friends have what system and which console they're comfortable with, with the occasional big game building in hype.

Microsoft is hilariously desperate, but you get the idea they have a few things coming. I never said Sony won't, but if they rely like last year on all previously mentioned games, Uncharted 4 and 3rd parties, I won't give a crap and it will be a waste of my time. I know all the studios Sony has and that they usually spread information for all 3 events.

What ? I never said that they will not have anything to announce. I just don't expect a great show. To be fair, most of the E3 conferences are shit, it's a common thing, (the last ones i liked were Sony 2009, Nintendo 2010, Ubisoft 2012 and Microsoft 2013).

Sony London has only released casual titles last gen and now they're just talking about Morpheus. But yeah they may show a game, why not. Bend is right now the safest bet, their last game came out in 2011. But Guerilla Cambridge, i don't think so, they're a small studio and released their latest game in late 2013.

But I get your point for the layoffs, obviously we talk more about people fired than people hired.
It's mostly the Naughty Dog case that's worrying me, the only names we knew working on the game left, and the reactions of both ND and the people fired weren't good signs. I'm not saying the Gods are dead, just that we may not get our Uncharted demo just yet. Once again I would be pleased to be proved wrong.

We'll see. But I don't know why you would tell me that I shouldn't be lowering me expectations.

Edit: Oh God, the "exclusive content" trend is killing me. It's just so bad. So so bad. Nobody gives a shit, and it can't be important content since it would damage the whole game on the other platforms if it was. And it uses conference time for fucking nothing.

sublimit

Banned
They might tease it just to pad the show. MS showed a ton of stuff that wasn't ready last year to make it look as though they had a good line up. Sony could always do the same if they feel they need to.

Yeah MS did it too (and i bet they will do it again this year) but it's something that i don't like personally.
I'd prefer it if they wait a bit more and show a proper reveal trailer along with a few details about the game.

Yeah MS did it too (and i bet they will do it again this year) but it's something that i don't like personally.
I'd prefer it if they wait a bit more and show a proper reveal trailer along with a few details about the game.

Completely agree. I'd rather they focus on games due in the next 12 months, rather than go all out with games that aren't due until Xmas 2015 or beyond. That goes for Sony and MS.

Top Bottom