• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Sony mandates Vita Remote Play for all PS4 games that don't use camera.

shink

This is like Nintendo mandating remote play with the 3DS. I don't know anyone who wouldn't rejoice to that.

(although yes, a bit pointless with the gamepad but you get what I mean.)

You mean you're trolling? Camera isn't actually turned on unless called by the app/game.

One doesn't also use a Vita to watch TV or place it convenient to face the couch or other private places when not using it.
Yep, nor is it always connected to the internet. Not the same.

Lol if the camera is bundled.

Still gonna buy it, but it is such a negative on the Xbox one..I predict it will not be seen as the same problem here for some reason.
Time to hunt down a cheap vita

No it was the statement that Kinect had to plugged in for Xbone to work. Even if the PS4 came with the eye if it still works without the eye being plugged in it won't piss people off as much.

wow Sony covering all the bases.
Kinect and the Gamepad.
It does everything.

Plus move-like controller integrated in DS4. Should still be good for looking around in 1st view games ( see Cerning moving the camera of Epic Elemental demo in PS4 presentation with the DS4 like it was a move ), even better than with move as you use your 2 hands to hold the pad instead of only one.

big youth

reminds me of the all encompassing/one size fits all moves Nintendo made back in the days of NES/SNES that soured 3rd party relations.

Yay, this is good news for Wii U owners too.
The porting of 2nd screen-based games should be so much easier for third party developers. Also looking forward for async play games at a bigger scale, as only Nintendo exclusive devs would have ventured into this.

I doubt this will affect much to wii u. developer really don't need to do anything to add remote play, it's built on the system by default, what the developer need to do is offer alternate control scheme for vita, which may be customizable by vita anyway.

it's not like dev have to do separate programming to enable remote play.

also mean the number of cross-controller supported games (like the current guacamelee as map screen, or lbp cross controller dlc) will remain minimal unless vita suddenly sells a lot to justify it.

Durante

Why is Sony insisting on a feature that doesn't sell PSPs and Vitas FOR YEARS?
Why would they not provide a useful, optional feature if all the components required for it are already available and implemented in the system?

reminds me of the all encompassing/one size fits all moves Nintendo made back in the days of NES/SNES that soured 3rd party relations.
Nah. This is probably 5 lines of code for developers.

bad wireless net can lead to a piss poor uncharted 5 in my vita?
Yes, it isn't magic, just technology.

Tobor

Haha. That's a reach. This no more of a big deal for third parties than MS requiring they add achievements.

liger05

Nice feature but not enough to make me buy one. My handheld needs are sorted with the 3DS and the not a chance I would lay down money for a PS4 and then more money for Vita because of remote play. I feel the majority of consumers that haven been interested in a vita so far are not going to change because of remote play.

Jockel

Remote play on PS3 with a Vita was so exciting
... Until I actually tried it. There's nothing on earth besides maybe visual novels I would play like this. The lag is horrendous. Especially when compared to the Wii U.

DieH@rd

Banned
Nah. This is probably 5 lines of code for developers.

Not even that. Each PS3 game has its own "cfg" file in which CFW users can change 0 to 1 in the "use remote play" line. OS takes care of the rest, starts encoding and sending signal...

Mokubba

Same here and the same issue i have with MS.
Does No PS4 Eye mean the Dualshock 4 controller stops working?

E3 had better be an exercise in clarity and bullshitless knowledge transfer if MS or Sony want me to get hyped.

Nope it was already clarrified that the Dualshock 4 doesn't need the camera to work.

Does the Vita have L2/R2 equivalents? Analogue sticks clicking?

Yes you can use the touchscreen. Marvel vs Capcom 3 has the ultimate controller mode where you can use your vita as a controller for the game on ps3. I assigned 4 corners of the screen for assist calls and supers and it works very well.

With Street Fighter X Tekken you can customise the touchscreen even further for additional inputs so L2/R2 and L3/R3 shouldn't be a problem with the touchpad and touchscreen

Of course not, your internet connection probably has an upload rate that's far too slow to support this. You'd need at least 5 MBit upload. And 5 MBit download on your mobile connection. Remote Play is meant to work on your WLAN, not over the internet. ALso you'll be able to literally watch your energy drain while you're doing this. A constant wireless connection with that much data, you're good to game for 1 hour tops.

This is just wrong

Lol if the camera is bundled.

Still gonna buy it, but it is such a negative on the Xbox one..I predict it will not be seen as the same problem here for some reason.
Time to hunt down a cheap vita

Difference is the camera doesn't have to be connected and isn't always and PS4 isn't always online

I prefer L2 and R2 matched in the bottom of the touch screen, in the left and right sides. i can reach it with my thumbs easily.

Not in games where you might need to press L2 or R2 at the same time as you have to use the left or right stick or any of the face buttons actually. Then the back touch for L2 or R2 would be much preferred.

Tobor

Not in games where you might need to press L2 or R2 at the same time as you have to use the left or right stick. Then the back touch for L2 or R2 would be much preferred.

The back touch is hot garbage and shouldn't be preferred for anything. It's a blight on an otherwise well designed piece of hardware.

dont own a vita yet, but then again i only got a PS3 last week, so maybe in time i will get a vita too, as for PS4 that will most likely be day one for me

as for this news, i think its great news, does it mean all first party PS4 titles though? or third party too?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I could be wrong, buy I think the remote play issues on PS3 have more to do with the lack of dedicated hardware to compress and decode video than Wi-Fi bandwidth.

Yes, the PS4 has Gaikai tech built in. This allows them to turn the PS4 into a server for the Vita and so 'significantly cut lag'.

Developers don't have to do anything for this to work. If they want to add Wiiu like features, they can, but that's completely optional.

Akira_83

Banned
oooh cant wait to play all those games that rely on L2 and R2 using that rear touchpad.. cuz we know how good that is as a button!

/sarcasm

Im not buying a likely $500 system to play the latest and greatest in graphics on a small 5 inch screen

i love my vita but its got a ton of games already, ill stick to native vita games thank you

this is about as useful as wiiU off tv play

Grinchy

Banned
ibcLB1jnMuJv5A.gif

pfft call me when Sony gets around to making something original, like a new Mario game

Nothing that isn't a system seller is worth buying or caring about.

Majanew

Banned
So, will the camera be in all SKUs? And if so, can I unplug the PSEye and throw that fucker in the trash unlike Kinect 2.0?

The back touch is hot garbage and shouldn't be preferred for anything. It's a blight on an otherwise well designed piece of hardware.
Huh? It works well if you just have to press on a random spot, like if R2 was mapped to the right half and L2 to the left half. I agree that the back touch is not very good if used for precision control like in Escape Plan to give an example.

CHC

This is amazing, cemented me buying a PS4 for sure and the idea of sitting outside on a nice night playing PS4 on the Vita is pretty nice. Hope it sells them some Vitas, as well, bundle pack would be enticing.

Tobor

Huh? It works well if you just have to press on a random spot, like if R2 was mapped to the right half and L2 to the left half. I agree that the back touch is not very good if used for precision control like in Escape Plan to give an example.

No, it's shit 100% of the time. My fingers are always accidentally touching it while playing. I turn it off for every game, and it's definitely turned off for the PS1 and PSP emulation. Hopefully I can turn it off for PS4 remote play as well.

Top Bottom