• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Sony mandates Vita Remote Play for all PS4 games that don't use camera.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
The 'Unaffordable PS4 Act' has a mandate? KazuoCare is Islamic communism!

I have one question for all Vita owners scared of Microsoft and Sony spying on them via Kinect and PS4Eye: Vita has a front facing camera, aren't you terrified of your privacy being violated while playing that thing?

Mr Swine

Banned
I respectfully disagree. FPS games that use L3 to Sprint are great. Vita may have the ability to play Call of Duty/Battlefield 4 via Remote Play but do I really want to with gimped controls? Nope.

What about the touchpad on the DS4? Won't that further gimp Remote Play on Vita? Sounds more like a hassle to make games work on Vita if games start to use the front touchpad.

Also wont this Remote Play neceserealy make devs not make any Vita games and just make PS4 games work on it?

Nikodemos

I really don't think so. The types of games played using a camera and the types of games played on a handheld device seem like entirely disjunct sets.

Which is why I could see Sony potentially going for two separate bundles, the "crowd pleaser", with the PS4I, a Move controller, maybe a Navigator, unlikely but possible a second DS4, and a "wayfarer" bundle, with a single DS4 and a Vita (and a 4 GB memcard, since nobody buys those anyway, so including one is basically a 'free action').
It would make even more sense if the rumours about Vita's refresh (the one with HDMI-out) edition turned out to be true: bundling the 'old' Vita with the PS4 would be a great way to clear inventory.
Were I some grand poobah at Sony marketing, I'd seriously consider such a release strategy (along with the barebones $399 version occasionally hinted at).

SmokyDave

Does the Vita have L2/R2 equivalents? Analogue sticks clicking?

No, it'd all need to be done on the front & rear touch. It doesn't work all that well in PS1 games, but then they only use a small area of the rear touch.

I guess the 'impact' of the missing buttons will vary on a game by game basis. Hopefully it'll allow custom remapping of controls. I'm using that feature on the PS1 / PSP emulators all the time.

AniHawk

with wii u and vita (and maybe increased smartglass functionality, who knows), it's looking more and more like we're going to just have different pieces of hardware that play the same games. the next generation of handhelds, if they exist, might just be what the psp go was, and let you play the thing you downloaded to your xbox live/psn/nintendo network service.

Guymelef

ps-vita-firmware-1-80-psp-touch-screen-controls-news-2.jpg

Krilekk

Banned
Kinect 1.0 though.

Much like PSN was Xbox Live 1.0 when the PS3 launched.

Not even, PS Eye only sees your controller. I guess you could put glowing LED orbs all over your body to get human tracking. :D Smartglass will supposedly over the same functionality but work on every iPad, Android device and Windows Phone. So no, Vita remote play is not interesting to the masses.

Yeah, but since its made by sony, its good.

When it was just a nintendo gimmick, it was bad

This is like Nintendo mandating remote play with the 3DS. I don't know anyone who wouldn't rejoice to that.

(although yes, a bit pointless with the gamepad but you get what I mean.)

PrimeX

Yay, this is good news for Wii U owners too.
The porting of 2nd screen-based games should be so much easier for third party developers. Also looking forward for async play games at a bigger scale, as only Nintendo exclusive devs would have ventured into this.

I have one question for all Vita owners scared of Microsoft and Sony spying on them via Kinect and PS4Eye: Vita has a front facing camera, aren't you terrified of your privacy being violated while playing that thing?

You mean you're trolling? Camera isn't actually turned on unless called by the app/game.

One doesn't also use a Vita to watch TV or place it convenient to face the couch or other private places when not using it.

AlucardGV

Banned
wasn't already confirmed that the ps4-vita remote play is done by the gaikai chip so it's something done by the ps4 and not by the games?

Socky

Vita remote play: Good.

My only concern with it (beyond the connection, which should be okay if it's hardware supported) would be the viability of the controls, but if every game has to support Vita I expect Vita control systems to get better in general.

Bundled camera: Good.

Bundling it with the system guarantees the possibility of support. I've had it with Sony and their me-too add-ons that nobody gives two hoots about. It also makes better Move support more likely because you only need to buy the Move controller to use it.

I fully expect head-tracking in first-person racer Drive Club if this is the case (and possibly KZ?). Also good news.

On a partisan note, bundling the camera might have a similar effect on Kinect games as lower hardware does on multi-plats, ie. games are designed for the lowest specs (PS4Eye). That isn't good for Xbone potentially (although it could bring wider Kinect support) but wouldn't hurt PS4. If it is bundled then head-tracking and the like might become much more prevalent. That's more interesting to me than jumping around the room and waving my hands at least.

QaaQer

No it's not, but how many people complain about multiple SKU's ?

what people? Computers would suck if everyone did the apple thing.

Upping the screen size without upping the resolution would make the games look worse. Upping the resolution would require extra power under the hood creating a disparity between the two models.

ps4 does all the work.

Also given that people complain about the price of the Vita now, can you imagine the price Sony would be charging for a Vita with a 7" OLED screen?

haha, no kidding: http://store.smallhd.com/Store/AC7-HDMI-OLED-Field-Monitor

Although their 7" ips field monitors are $599: http://store.smallhd.com/Store/AC7-HDMI-LCD-Field-Monitor so field monitors are more expensive than equivalent tablets, but still $1099 for the 7" oled version, ouch.

Dinda

I meant that with irrelevance. We're not going to see big games that use it in any meaningful way, eg any way that could not be replicated by a controller. It's going to be like the Move, except bundled with every console.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Yeah, i know what you mean, but i kind of disagree.
In that way Sony could benefit from Multiplatform Titles. A lot of the features that are developed for the Xbone Titles could be ported to the PSeye (maybe not as advanced, but still). So, maybe that way Sony could offer the best of both worlds.

SmokyDave

And a heck of a cost if you don't own a vita and fancy remote play with the ps4.

Nice selling pint for wiiu to get this for far less.

The Wii-U doesn't really have this. If it did, you'd be able to play all your Wii-U games on a 3DS. The Wii-U has 'Off-TV play', but it isn't mandatory for games and it doesn't have the same range. In addition, you can't buy and play separate games for the Wii-U pad.

There are as many differences as there are similarities.

What kind of question is that? are you terrified about your smartphone/ipad/laptop front camera?

Kyoufu

What about the touchpad on the DS4? Won't that further gimp Remote Play on Vita? Sounds more like a hassle to make games work on Vita if games start to use the front touchpad.

Also wont this Remote Play neceserealy make devs not make any Vita games and just make PS4 games work on it?

Touchpad = Touchscreen

That wouldn't be a problem. Clickable sticks/Triggers are the problem here.

So?

I mean, says who? How do you know they are telling the truth?

Of course they arent "spying" on you, but then again neither is Kinect going to.

So... unless you have an app/game using the camera it's not turned on. It's not about telling the truth, it's how the system works.

Kinect however, is recording whenever the system is powered.

Winkle

I was wondering would the PS4 be able to play PS Vita games? So the likes of Uncharted Golden Abyss could be digitally download to the harddrive and played on the big screen?
Would think this would be a cool feature too if possible?

Durante

I respectfully disagree. FPS games that use L3 to Sprint are great. Vita may have the ability to play Call of Duty/Battlefield 4 via Remote Play but do I really want to with gimped controls? Nope.
You are playing it on a console. You are already playing with gimped controls :p
I see your point though, I didn't think of it because I'd never play games like that on console anyways. For the stuff I buy consoles for (mostly JRPGs) it seems like a fantastic feature.

Krilekk

Banned
So wait in theory can I leave my PS4 at home, take my Vita to Uni and play PS4 games on my vita?

Of course not, your internet connection probably has an upload rate that's far too slow to support this. You'd need at least 5 MBit upload. And 5 MBit download on your mobile connection. Remote Play is meant to work on your WLAN, not over the internet. ALso you'll be able to literally watch your energy drain while you're doing this. A constant wireless connection with that much data, you're good to game for 1 hour tops.

AngryMoth

I've never had any interest in the vita but I can see myself getting one for this if it's implemented well. Will probably hold out until a price drop or new hardware revision but it is a very appealing feature.

Suzzopher

I think the bigger deal is that Sony are pushing the second screen. We know that you'll be able to access your PS4 from tablets and phones, not to play games but to always be connected to your PS4.

Microsoft are trying to get everyone onto one screen with the Xbone, but that isn't what is happening in the real world, people are out and about more, our lives mean we are not able to devout hours in front of our televisions any more, dads are no longer able to get access to the family TV as much, teenagers are not wanting to be tied to one device to access their content. You put your PS4 experience on your phones, tablets, PCs and Vita you are onto something. Microsoft are about 10 years behind the curve, this should have the direction for the original Xbox not a consumer product in 2013.

Maybe I should write PR for Sony or something >_>

Of course not, your internet connection probably has an upload rate that's far too slow to support this. You'd need at least 5 MBit upload. And 5 MBit download on your mobile connection. Remote Play is meant to work on your WLAN, not over the internet.

Ofcourse he can. I did it with the PSP. It's meant to be used over the WLAN AND internet.

PrimeX

The Wii-U doesn't really have this. If it did, you'd be able to play all your Wii-U games on a 3DS. The Wii-U has 'Off-TV play', but it isn't mandatory for games and it doesn't have the same range. In addition, you can't buy and play separate games for the Wii-U pad.

There are as many differences as there are similarities.

Price: Wii U + 3DS << PS4 + Vita for the same functionalities
Games: Wii U + 3DS >> PS4 + Vita and I don't see this changing for at least 2 years

SmokyDave

Of course not, your internet connection probably has an upload rate that's far too slow to support this. You'd need at least 5 MBit upload. And 5 MBit download on your mobile connection. Remote Play is meant to work on your WLAN, not over the internet.

You can, it even worked with the PSP.

Price: Wii U + 3DS << PS4 + Vita for the same functionalities
Games: Wii U + 3DS >> PS4 + Vita and I don't see this changing for at least 2 years
Again, it's not the same functionality.

Games are subjective.

I was wondering would the PS4 be able to play PS Vita games? So the likes of Uncharted Golden Abyss could be digitally download to the harddrive and played on the big screen?
Would think this would be a cool feature too if possible?

That would be suicide for the Vita, unless they already plan on killing it off.

Durante

I do wonder if they'll allow "real" remote play over the internet. It could be a boon for those with sufficient upload speeds, but I think there could be a huge backlash from people with bad (or even average really) connections.

Top Bottom