• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Sony mandates Vita Remote Play for all PS4 games that don't use camera.

I don't care about the eye being bundled, as long as I'm not forced to have it connected.

Same here and the same issue i have with MS.
Does No PS4 Eye mean the Dualshock 4 controller stops working?

E3 had better be an exercise in clarity and bullshitless knowledge transfer if MS or Sony want me to get hyped.

This basically condemns the camera to irrelevance, though.

Can you imagine first party games without Vita Remote Play? Gamers would be pissed.

Siegmeyer

I used to never see the appeal of handhelds, but after recently picking up a Wii U in the HMV deal, I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying off-tv play (SMW and long dumps FTW).

Was already getting a PS4 day one, and seeing as I already have PS+ this news is sorely tempting me into getting a Vita.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
With ps plus and remote play, they almost make it necessary to own a vita with a ps4 and vice versa. Good strategy actually. Owning a single system doesn't mean you lose out on any of the usual console features, but you gain more functions when you have both.

Dabanton

Of course not.

And come on Sony just fuck off with this camera bullshit, make an extra bundle or whatever but leave me alone with this garbage.

It's looking like if your buying a next gen system you will have some sort of camera sitting on your TV or monitor.

QaaQer

7" vita is not a bad idea at all... I like it alot! Just need a better browser and LTE support we are good to go.

especially if you can dual boot into android, it would be a pretty awesome tablet, assuming decent rez...doubt we'll see it though.

Durante

Can you imagine first party games without Vita Remote Play? Gamers would be pissed.
I really don't think so. The types of games played using a camera and the types of games played on a handheld device seem like entirely disjunct sets.

rouken

camera being part of the bundle would mean that it's really needed by the controller right? because if not they would just bundle it with a game that needs the camera.

How they handle L2,R2,L3,R3 is the problem.

well the vita has a back touchpad, i imagine they would use that

Number45

I wonder what effort developers have to put in for this? Minimal I would think.

Perhaps it'll make support for the camera a consideration. If remote play proves to be popular and there's sales data to confirm that it boosts software sales could it prompt developers not to support the camera?

Kyoufu

It's too bad Vita is missing buttons from the DualShock. Some games that use the triggers/analogue stick buttons are going to be difficult to play on Vita.

Number45

It's too bad Vita is missing buttons from the DualShock. Some games that use the triggers/analogue stick buttons are going to be difficult to play on Vita.
With the four corners of front and rear touch there are more than enough pressure points to cover the buttons. What? Nobody said it has to work well. :p

Dinda

Why? The only thing that is needed is that the game works without the camera. If the camera is included but not required to use the system it could just be something you can check in the game options. "Use eyetoy features yes/no". Remoteplay will only work while set to no.

AOC83

Banned
It's looking like if your buying a next gen system you will have some sort of camera sitting on your TV or monitor.

Well, that depends. If the camera is mandatory to run the PS4 i´m not going to buy it and if it´s not i´m not going to use it.

The problem I have with features like this, and with all the indie ports and multi platform titles, is that none of this convinces me to spend the money to purchase this system. They are basically features for people who ALREADY OWN Vitas. I'm sure it'll convince a few people, but portability and this streaming are not enough to justify the purchase of a new system.

DieH@rd

Banned
iIbdlh4bVc7xS.gif

tumblr_inline_mk0yn7qnvZ1qfb1ni.gif

Durante

They still need to compress the video stream.
Aren't they already always compressing a video stream? Or do you think they store the last 20 minutes or whatever you have access to with the share button uncompressed?

To be fair, games that use the analog stick buttons for anything important already suck inherently :p
(Seriously, I always though those were a terrible idea. And we can blame Sony for it!)

NotLiquid

I think what most people called a "gimmick" is dual screen play at the same time. This (and Wii U remote play) is just a different output device, and increaases flexibility. Of course, there's also a huge quality (and price) difference.

Also a control input difference. The one thing that kind of turns me off of Vita Remote Play is that all the triggers are inevitably going to be mapped to the rear touch pad. That's kind of going to suck for people who prefer feedback. Also lack of clickable sticks could be an issue assuming games use them.

Of course this all sounds great otherwise.

SmokyDave

If conexion is going through wifi direct instead of via router it will have probably almost no lag.
Should be a non-factor - Vita and PS4 support the IEEE 802.11n standard (WiiU uses literally the same thing) unlike the PS3.

Remote play (local) should have the same input lag as your console+tv.
Aye, I know it should be awesome thanks to the faster Wifi and the video encoding, I just need to see it to believe it. If it works as well as it should, it'll be the best thing about the next generation for me.

it's funny because it's true
It really isn't the same thing as the Wii-U, despite appearing similar on the surface. Off-TV play isn't mandatory and has some serious range issues.

Why? The only thing that is needed is that the game works without the camera. If the camera is included but not required to use the system it could just be something you can check in the game options. "Use eyetoy features yes/no". Remoteplay will only work while set to no.

I meant that with irrelevance. We're not going to see big games that use it in any meaningful way, eg any way that could not be replicated by a controller. It's going to be like the Move, except bundled with every console.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Another issue is that this could potentially make the PSEye defunct, I imagine more developers (and consumers) would choose remote play over any camera functionality.

Kyoufu

To be fair, games that use the analog stick buttons for anything important already suck inherently :p
(Seriously, I always though those were a terrible idea)

I respectfully disagree. FPS games that use L3 to Sprint are great. Vita may have the ability to play Call of Duty/Battlefield 4 via Remote Play but do I really want to with gimped controls? Nope.

Thrakier

Yeah, but since its made by sony, its good.

When it was just a nintendo gimmick, it was bad

Bullshit. It's a gimmick for Sony as well, it's not their main selling point. Making it a main selling point and selling an underpowered machine would make it bad as well. Your comparison stinks.

Anyway, on topic. It's worth nothing if it's not lagfree.

Interesting read, especially the below quoted (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-sony-mandates-vita-remote-play-for-ps4-games) phrases.

Remote Play works by downscaling the 1080p framebuffer to the Vita's native 960x544 resolution, using the PS4's in-built hardware h.264 video encoder to compress the image.

Remote Play itself is nothing new of course - PSP and Vita had lacklustre, laggy support for a handful of PS3 games... ...It's all change for PlayStation 4, which features bespoke hardware video encoding for Remote Play, gameplay recording and screen-sharing support with all the benefits of the Gaikai streaming technology. It's a feature built into the operating system itself, incurring no performance penalty to developers.

Looking forward to the end of 2013!

giving options to consumers is stupid? ok then. Btw, 7" isn't non-portable.

No it's not, but how many people complain about multiple SKU's ? Upping the screen size without upping the resolution would make the games look worse. Upping the resolution would require extra power under the hood creating a disparity between the two models.

Also given that people complain about the price of the Vita now, can you imagine the price Sony would be charging for a Vita with a 7" OLED screen?

Does the Vita have L2/R2 equivalents? Analogue sticks clicking?

No current solution by games is using the back touch screen.

Top Bottom