• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Sony mandates Vita Remote Play for all PS4 games that don't use camera.

Shahed

Bundled huh. Part of me doesn't mind in that it needs to be bundled for proper support throughout the PS4's lifetime. But the other part hates motion tech and just hopes all functionality is optional

Not really news at this point, we already had yosp (who is a pretty good source!) unofficially confirm this months ago.

As a Vita owner, I think it's a really cool feature. Also, 4x OGSSAA for 1080p games!

They'd be downsampled right? Should be awesome for IQ.

Still I'd probably very rarely use it

Vita with a 7 inch screen please? Or just a playstation tablet with the same buttons that rips out the vita functionality for the bigger screen to balance off the cost pls.

Rootbeer

Banned
They mean local remote, not REMOTE remote, right?

I want to be able to use my Vita at work to play the PS4 sitting alone and unused at home T__T I have fast internet at both, it should be allowed.

Hopefully this mandate does about as well as Vita sales.

Wait, are you trying to say that you hope the mandate isn't successful? Because that makes no sense and shows that you don't understand what mandate means.

Anyway, given what Sony have been saying, this is no surprise. Good move.

SmokyDave

This could potentially be huge for Vita owners. My only worry is the prospect of lag, but given that they seem to be very serious about this from the beginning, it might be fine.

If it lives up to potential, I'll probably end up playing more PS4 games on the Vita than on the console itself.

Toki767

I would imagine that since Kinect comes bundled with the Xbox One, if the PS4 Eye comes bundled with the PS4 there may be quite a bit more games that use a camera. Maybe just for voice control.

What about ps3 then? Most games don't use the eye and would love to see much more games that support remote play via vita, or at least GT6.

I want to be able to use my Vita at work to play the PS4 sitting alone and unused at home T__T

You already can on PS3, although it's not on the level of PS4 but you can still remoteplay your PS3 with your Vita/PSP anywhere in the world as long as your PS3 is set to remoteplay and you have a wifi connection.

Rootbeer

Banned
You already can on PS3, although it's not on the level of PS4 but you can still remoteplay your PS3 with your Vita/PSP anywhere in the world as long as your PS3 is set to remoteplay and you have a wifi connection.

Huh... well I'm going to look into this! I need to be able to play Dragon's Dogma anytime I want.

Durante

Didn't we know this already?
We've known for months, then ~1 month ago we got the "news" that it was going to happen, and now we get the news again.

I assume we'll receive the news once more at E3!

Yeah, but since its made by sony, its good.

When it was just a nintendo gimmick, it was bad
I think what most people called a "gimmick" is dual screen play at the same time. This (and Wii U remote play) is just a different output device, and increaases flexibility. Of course, there's also a huge quality (and price) difference.

I want to be able to use my Vita at work to play the PS4 sitting alone and unused at home T__T I have fast internet at both, it should be allowed.

if your internet is fast enough and have low latency, you can do that I think.

This could potentially be huge for Vita owners. My only worry is the prospect of lag, but given that they seem to be very serious about this from the beginning, it might be fine.

Should be a non-factor - Vita and PS4 support the IEEE 802.11n standard (WiiU uses literally the same thing) unlike the PS3.

Remote play (local) should have the same input lag as your console+tv.

sajj316

As much as I like this, the hope is that Sony/Publishers do not put similar pieces of software at almost the same time. Ex Killzone Shadowfall and Mercenary.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

If it lives up to potential, I'll probably end up playing more PS4 games on the Vita than on the console itself.

considering how often I use the offtv with the gamepad, I agree.
I don't own a Vita yet, so a bundle would be really tempting if it comes at a very good price. Would be a really great additional function, imho.

If conexion is going through wifi direct instead of via router it will have probably almost no lag.

Huh... well I'm going to look into this! I need to be able to play Dragon's Dogma anytime I want.

ps3 games need to be supported though because remote play on ps3 require extra resources, there's very few ps3 that support remote play. I don't think dragon dogma is one of them

What about the latency? The no-latency thingy is seemingly the only expensive part of the gamepad, so how well do you expect PS4/vita remote play to work? (no sarcasm please, I'm curious about that)

Corto

Current remote play feature allows that. You can play games on the Vita/PSP through the internet from on your PS3. The performance is not good though. Even with high speed internet. Too much lag and occasional freeze.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
This gives the handheld access to the entire PS4 library which will have solid third party support. Would be funny if the PS4 manages to save the Vita and rejuvenates the platform.

Fusebox

Banned

Yep, at the moment there's a bit of lag using it over the Internet on PS3 and it makes games like God of War II impossible to play but it would be fine for a turn based RPG or something else that isn't latency critical.

GeoramA

Makes me downright giddy as a Vita owner. Like PS Plus, it's another cool feature that just fell right into our laps.

Durante

Will this use any resources? Or will it use the video-sharing processor thingy?
The system is encoding video at all times. The assumption is that this will just use that video stream, which exists already. So it won't cause any additional performance penalty.

wapplew

Vita with a 7 inch screen please? Or just a playstation tablet with the same buttons that rips out the vita functionality for the bigger screen to balance off the cost pls.

7" vita is not a bad idea at all... I like it alot! Just need a better browser and LTE support we are good to go.

Cannot wait for this :)

Really Sony are doing everything right in my books. Even IF they bring on used game DRM I'm not that fussed as I don't tend to buy used or sell my copies on. I can see why people are unhappy with what's going on in the used market though.

Tantalus

Neo Member
This is cool. I hope Sony have more mandatory features this time around instead of the "developers can add this if they really want to" system

Top Bottom