• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Staff Selling Illegal Nintendo Bootlegs

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Basically pressing copyrighted bootleg Nintendo music on vinyl, using a fake record company name stolen from an already established record company, and never delivering the product by waiting for the 6 months PayPal dispute to expire and keeping everyone’s cash. Upwards of $20K or more.

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
MwCKgLg.png

Pallas

Gold Member
Can’t really watch it right now but is it a single person or like the entire EG staff?

Rajack

Nintendo needs to be made aware of this. I'd love to see Eurogamer get shut down and its self righteous staff ending up homeless, wanking tramps off for money.
This is absolutely uncalled for. Sure what they did was scummy and unethical at best, but to wish homelessness upon them and use a slur ontop of wishing ill upon them? No, just no. I was homeless and I wouldn't wish that upon even the worst person in society. It's a hell no one should have to endure the indignity of. You should retract your comment and apologize.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
What are the chances Nintendo take actions on this? I really don’t care about EG. I care about the people of DF because they’re amazing and take time to break done every tech aspect to make it understandable for all.

Can we have some names please?

I hope this doesn't end up like the ND fiasco where there was a conscious cover-up effort...

Cattlyst

This will probably just be brushed under the carpet by mainstream games sites. None of them like reporting on each other's staffs questionable activities in case they upset each other or make the chats in their private Facebook groups awkward. Also worth noting is that Eurogamer and Nintendo Life are part of the same company. As arguably the biggest Nintendo-specific site you'd think they'd report on this...but all you see is silence on the matter.

CuNi

Did someone tweet this to Nintendo? I wonder how this all will pan out for eurogamer.. Couldn't care less about them except for DF.

Haha I wonder if anything will come of this? That wanker already made his twitter private :messenger_ok: He won't be responsible for Eurogamer's "bad tweets" as he puts it for longer it seems

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
TL;DW?

I can never get through his videos, he just talks and talks and never gets to anything resembling a point, so I nope out after a few minutes.

And he kinda shot himself in the foot that one time he talked about how he hates when journalists need to state how much of a gamer they are... while sitting in front of a wall covered in console boxes that are put there to prove without a doubt how much of a gamer he is.

Eh... yeah.

stranno

I like some EG content, at least the Ian's videos. But i'm not surprised by this. Everything in their YT channel look so fake. Every video has the same likes at the same time, most comments feel like something from a bot, paid subscribers look fake, etc.

I could be wrong and it could be a perfectly legit channel, but It doesnt look like.

Last edited:

FranXico

I like some EG content, at least the Ian's videos. But i'm not surprised by this. Everything in their YT channel look so fake. Every video has the same likes at the same time, most comments feel like something from a bot, paid subscribers look fake, etc.

I could be wrong and it could be a perfectly legit channel, but It doesnt look like.
The entire GamerNetwork (of which Rock Paper Shotgun are also a part of) sells marketing (clients/partners not disclosed publicly). That's their main business. No wonder it all looks fake.

angelic

Banned
This couldn't be funnier. Although I think the outcome will be a discrete firing of this Watson character, who will worm his way into some other outlet in time. These people look after their own. Hopefully the cash settlement is high though, remember how much Nintendo asked from that ROM site person.

My personal solution to it all? The perpetrator should come out as trans, then start a crowdfund for his rent.

Shifty

Good, good, another step in the direction of my Steam feed not being consistently shat up by articles that don't deserve to be syndicated.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I wonder how often this happens. Been seeing a lot of vinyl reissues in the past few years I would be surprised if all of them had reached out for the proper licensing.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Euuugghh....as someone who watches gaming companies and their legal teams quite closely....
Ninty isn't the type to play with gloves over their IP; if there's actual validity to this, I'm 100% certain that Ninty's legal team is already looking into what they can do

Came for the news
Left because of The Quartering

petran79

Banned
They wouldn't do it if they knew repercussions would not be from light to non existent. They'll get just a slap on the butt by Nintendo. They are in this together
If only the Quartering reports it it is worrying.

Top Bottom