• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Staff Selling Illegal Nintendo Bootlegs

angelic

Banned
peach1.png

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
A : The guy in the youtube... I found him difficult to watch.
B : Bitching about someone advocating for throwing milkshakes... really dude? This was a reference to someone throwing milkshake on a known fascist in the UK. Yes - the milkshake throw was warranted, and far lesser a fate than the violence his views have catalyzed. Kindly fuck off.
C : Eurogamer is not behind the bootlegs. Apparently one journalist is, and one other guy who did art for the pressing. This just seems like this Youtube guy is bitter, and dancing in a glee of pety revenge?
D : How is this a 15 minute video?

angelic

Banned
B : Bitching about someone advocating for throwing milkshakes... really dude? This was a reference to someone throwing milkshake on a known fascist in the UK. Yes - the milkshake throw was warranted, and far lesser a fate than the violence his views have catalyzed. Kindly fuck off.
C : Eurogamer is not behind the bootlegs. Apparently one journalist is, and one other guy who did art for the pressing. This just seems like this Youtube guy is bitter, and dancing in a glee of pety revenge?

LMAO. Horrible post of the month.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

tripple SHIT post award

Pejo

Gold Member
Questioning the ethics of game journalists? Sounds like time for them to bust out the ol' "G" word and deflect!

Orta

Banned
This is absolutely uncalled for. Sure what they did was scummy and unethical at best, but to wish homelessness upon them and use a slur ontop of wishing ill upon them? No, just no. I was homeless and I wouldn't wish that upon even the worst person in society. It's a hell no one should have to endure the indignity of. You should retract your comment and apologize.

You had to wank tramps off, didn't you? :messenger_pensive:

sublimit

Banned
Kinda unrelated but also a bit related. How do you guys think press kits end up on ebay selling for hundrends of dollars?

Sure companies say that they are not for sale but who's to stop those "journalists" to sell them and get a fair amount of money? This is one of the worst aspects of this industry (it's basically a type of bribe) and it's ridiculous that we consumers are accepting it. Those "journalists" are so stupid that they even make bragging videos showing these press kits which are basically "hey look how much money this X company has sent me in order to write my review!!" (press-kit = money)

Of course in contrary with the thread's topic we only have the publishers to blame for the press kit situation.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Absolutely sickening to see no one covering this, Eurogamer hasn't even put out a statement, they are hoping this gets swept under the rug.
The media will never pick up anything were the primary source is TheQuartering, there's no gain for them as it'll only give more "power" to someone they most definitely despise. Unless Nintendo themselves make a formal demand this will never appear on any of the main gaming sites.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The media will never pick up anything were the primary source is TheQuartering, there's no gain for them as it'll only give more "power" to someone they most definitely despise. Unless Nintendo themselves make a formal demand this will never appear on any of the main gaming sites.

That's what is called, ethics in journalism.

/s

petran79

Banned

This will also give time to the ones involved to remove or alter the evidence and get lighter sentences or none at all. Because who will dare to take them to court over something that was illegal in the first place? Time is crucial in this case. Just like with Zoe Quinn, they have now all the time in the world to turn the tide on their side. This is how they work all this time

ExpandKong

Banned
No, I have friends who do sex work for a living and that word is a slur. I don't appreciate seeing it be used, especially when it is used to demean a group of people.

PRO TIP: if you have nothing to be offended about, getting offended on behalf of another group of people is a great way to waste your precious time on this earth.

Pretty sure your sex worker friends have heard far worse than “tramp” by the way. Unless they cater exclusively to the septuagenarian crowd.

Maybe if there was a source that wasn’t a butthurt GamerGate shithead.
Did you watch the video? There's people who bought the music that are complaining. The source should be irrelevant, this obviously isn't made up. People should be able to look at the evidence and make a decision for themselves, but obviously people rarely think for themselves anymore.

Myths

Basically pressing copyrighted bootleg Nintendo music on vinyl, using a fake record company name stolen from an already established record company, and never delivering the product by waiting for the 6 months PayPal dispute to expire and keeping everyone’s cash. Upwards of $20K or more.
HopefulElegantEquestrian-size_restricted.gif

edit: ^whole time I was on my phone lookin for that gif with the post written but it refreshed the post showing you used it L

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it is an incredible story. glad they are busted.

funny enough, pirating has played a big role in music history. we kind of have pirated music to thank for the 60s bubblegum music boom, and from that, a number of spin off genres, everything from punk to glam to new wave.

i read a book last year about Tommy James & the Shondells who did the huge hits "Crimson & Clover", "I Think We're Alone Now", and "Mony Mony". one day when his manager was out of town, he got his accountant and they went through all his receipts and found out he had been cheated out of tens of millions of dollars. his manager was a mob boss who used to skip town during the 60s mob wars. families were killing each other in NYC and NJ. eventually the manager got busted in a huge sting for RCA records in the late 70s. they had fleets of mac trucks driving around the country delivering "extra" pressings and bootleg prints to various warehouses. it's crazy how much vinyl was inadvertently produced for illegitimate means. it must be a good way to hide your money & turn it into a profit.

Last edited:

Shmunter

The dude was first to report on Apex coming. He got credit on at least 1 or more prominent sites.

Shmunter

Eurogamer the entity obviously did not sanction this. It’s only a couple of employees or maybe even freelancers?

Looking into it one of them was a holier than thou virtue signaller, aka better than you and I, and anybody that has alternate opinions on the culture war. The irony.

I’m sure most of us have created a bootleg tape, and even gave it to a friend. But profiting off someone else’s IP is immoral and a completely different thing.

I expect those involved to quietly evaporate from the site without much fanfare.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I’m sure most of us have created a bootleg tape, and even gave it to a friend. But profiting off someone else’s IP is immoral and a completely different thing.

I expect those involved to quietly evaporate from the site without much fanfare.

yes they will need to be fired if they haven't been already, for liability reasons at the very least. where they doing this on company time? or with company property? lot of questions. whoever did this is fucked.

i've copied music before but never for sale, only as gifts. i always support musicians whenever i have money. i try to by a shirt or album whenever i go to a show to pay it back. artists gets screwed over by so many people already, their agents and managers and producers and stuff, without even throwing in videogame journalist hacks in there.

if your job is profiting off the work of others you are a hack.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Always despised Eurogamer and find this hilarious
You're telling me all the DF videos they did where one game is claimed the ultimate leader in clarity (even though it requires special pixel counting software), and indisputably smoother at an extra 0.3 frames per second (during 1000 frames of a 20000 frame test) is despisable editorial?

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’m waiting for one of these:

“Paul Watson will be taking a leave of absence from Eurogamer after being inundated by make-believe death threats on social media. We support Paul Watson with what he is going through.”

Dr.D00p

For the likes of you, anyone to the left of Karl Marx is a 'fascist'. All you're doing is cheapening & trivialising the real meaning of what it is to be a 'fascist'.

Saber

Gold Member
All I can say is that I hope the better for DF. This is a sign for them to keep distance away from that shitty site.

Shifty

You're telling me all the DF videos they did where one game is claimed the ultimate leader in clarity (even though it requires special pixel counting software), and indisputably smoother at an extra 0.3 frames per second (during 1000 frames of a 20000 frame test) is despisable editorial?
1*ogiN87jNoWparjm_JPBuFg.png

At this point DF's wheelhouse is so different to EG's that they might as well be a different company.

Last edited:
Top Bottom