• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Switch screen is 6.2", 720p, Capacitive Multi-Touch, IR sensor

brawly

I'm confused, GAF.

Okay, so say the screen is multi-touch. What's the point in making a multi-touch game if the screen is covered while docked?

I think it'll be mostly for browsing, mobile apps/games, maybe some emulation (DS/3DS). I can't see traditional games making it a focus again, especially after how grounded that reveal was (thank god).

AzaK

I'm confused, GAF.

Okay, so say the screen is multi-touch. What's the point in making a multi-touch game if the screen is covered while docked?

From the rumours, games have to all be playable whilst docked. Therefore touch is secondary or will be for apps like Netflix etc.

I'm guessing they would have some provision for games that are entirely touch based to be playable ONLY when undocked. a-la phone games. Any game that plays with a controller would then HAVE to be fully playable docked.

Kyuur

Screen size is much smaller than it appeared to me in the video; much more portable, so I'm not complaining!

Da-Kid

From the rumours, games have to all be playable whilst docked. Therefore touch is secondary or will be for apps like Netflix etc.

I'm guessing they would have some provision for games that are entirely touch based to be playable ONLY when undocked. a-la phone games. Any game that plays with a controller would then HAVE to be fully playable docked.
Well if it supports Wiimote, there's your answer for intuitive navigation on Netflix apps and such.

Neoxon

Are the games in 720p? Because I'm not copping it then.

I mean jesus 720p on a mobile device in 2017? Come on Nintendo.
Keep in mind that this will be pushing console-level games with mobile hardware. A 1080p screen would murder the visual fidelity of Switch games as well as its battery life.

After years with the 3DS, 720p handheld Nintendo games are going to look glorious.

Really excited how the rumoured touchscreen/IR control scheme is used and what doors this opens to apps and other mobile games on Switch.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
A PS4 can barely spit out stable 1080p yet people want what a PS4 can do in a thin profiled handheld? I find myself critical of Nintendo but that's just insane.

The dual nature of this console seems to have people confused. You can't tow the traditional line of brute power for this thing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Are the games in 720p? Because I'm not copping it then.

I mean jesus 720p on a mobile device in 2017? Come on Nintendo.

Hahaha! You thought the mobile games are actually rendering at the resolution of the smartphone/tablet's screen? Lol. This is hilarious.

I guess it's also a proof that advertising works.

Betty

Banned
As long as it's HD, I don't see the problem. The iPhone has a similar resolution.

Only the regular smaller version. The 6s Plus is 1080p.

I'm not bothered by the resolution the Switch anyway, as long as it looks good on a big tv that's all that matters.

Nerrel

People are aware that we're coming from the 240p 3DS and 480p gamepad, right? And that just a few months ago we were seriously speculating that the handheld screen would most likely be 480 or 540p? And that 720p was considered the best possible case scenario? It just seems odd to me that people are so unhappy with this. For Nintendo, this is actually a great resolution. And no, you don't need more on a screen that small.

Ennosuke

I have all current consoles, also Vita and 3DS. I know what 1080p gaming looks like and even pc gaming in 1440p. For me 720p is absolutely fine and when I think about how much fun I had with the 3DS and it's bad resolution, I am sure this will be some amazing handheld console. Which is by the way also a home console. How can people say it should be 1080p? Would be pointless.

The Hardware really sounds good, but the Software output will be important as well. 3DS and Wii U failed in its first year extremely hard.

And for the record my Galaxy S7 barely lasts a few hours when I am playing pokemon go .. and most definitely doesnt last as long when I use it with my gear VR.

What Nintendo is making is nothing short of remarkable if it can get Wii U gamepad type battery life that was 3 to 5 hours.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And no, you don't need more on a screen that small.

It's not that we don't need more, it's that even when there is processing power to get more, we don't have the battery tech to support more. Currently we can get more just by optimising the processors, but everything portable is still limited by the power consumption.

Vertti

Hell my TV is still 720p and it works fine for being ancient technology.

720p 6.2'' has a great pixel density. Games will look really nice don't worry about that.

Anyone expecting more than 720p at that competitive price point, with a decent battery and that size is insane. 6.2"@720p is really not that bad.

KDin

Neo Member
A PS4 can barely spit out stable 1080p.

1355.gif

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Stop quoting Ribman, he troll Switch threads for a living. Just put on ignore list.

LOL.

Finally some credible information on specs!

Assuming that Eurogamer's info is up-to-date, the Switch's screen is outdated. I'm assuming Nintendo will treat the Switch as an evolving platform in the same way they've treated their older handhelds as evolving platforms. With that in mind, a Switch Lite or Switch XL could have a modern screen, so the platform -- to me -- could be worth an investment down the line. As of right now, the only way a 720p screen makes sense is if the device costs $119.99 or less -- basically the average resell value of 720p devices from 4 years ago.

Multi-touch sounds good, so I'm interested in seeing how the Joy-Cons replicate the touch functionality on the big screen. Messaging the 4 different control methods (Joy-Con, Touch, Pro Controller, Joy-Con Grip) is going to be tough. I don't envy the people in charge of control method and or input method communication(s). As long as they focus on the device and not the control methods then they'll avoid recreating the Wii U problem wherein the console took a backseat to the GamePad, leading to way more confusion than necessary.

Battery life is probably going to be the next leak from Eurogamer. If the rumored 3 hours of playtime is true, then Nintendo should get it out of the way sooner rather than later. Their January event should focus on games and the strong points of the device, and not on the outdated screen or (rumored) poor battery life, as those two would be the majority of headlines from the event. They don't have a lot of time between now and January, so they've got their work cut out for them.

On a personal note. Switch is shaping up to be a very nice portable gaming unit. I'm looking forward to when it's hacked to run homebrew stuff like emulators.

El Topo

I don't get the complaints about a 720p screen for what will likely be a $199-249 device. It's not like the system could run (proper) games at that resolution, not to mention it wouldn't help battery life.

Da-Kid

I mean, a game running 720p or slightly lower on a 6.2'' 720p screen is going to look pretty crystal-freaking-clean and smooth. Even if some effects and AA are lowered for being undocked. That's if you're worried about imagine quality SO much. Jesus.

People act like 4K is not going to take years to be the norm.

Vita looks great and is less than 720p so the Switch will be fine.

My Wii U looks fine on my 55" 4k Sony Bravia, so I'm sure the Switch will look fine on the big TV too, unless you have a TV with a really crappy upscaler, then it might look a little rough around the edges, but even then its not like it will be unplayable.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don't get the complaints about a 720p screen for what will likely be a $199-249 device. It's not like the system could run (proper) games at that resolution, not to mention it wouldn't help battery life.

720p on a portable screen that size is fine. Games are going to look fantastic. There is no need to worry about that.

Well...you know...certain fans of certain companies have been taught...well...you know to believe what their favorite company says and then they have to repeat it without understanding...well...marketing.

King_Moc

Banned
On the tablet there appears to be a large vent at the top next to the game card slot.

Nintendo_Switch_12.0.jpg

Just a hunch, but in portable mode the cpu/gpu are down clocked and passively exhaust out the vent. In Docked mode the cpu/gpu clock speeds are upped so target 1080/60, and I have a suspicion the dock has a fan to help deal with the extra heat this could cause.

This thing requires fan? The Shield Tablet K1 was 0.512TF and will be coming on for three years old when this comes out, and that required no such cooling solution. Given that this is built on similar tech, surely it must be a higher equivalent power in 2017, than that was in 2014? So probably over 1TF?

I don't get the complaints about a 720p screen for what will likely be a $199-249 device. What were you guys expecting? It's not like the system could run (proper) games at that resolution, not to mention it wouldn't help battery life.

The funny thing is a new PS4 Slim that runs things at roughly 1080p costs 300 bux.. The PS4 Pro is priced at like 400 bux and it can barely run 4k native and you would need a 4k tv that includes HDR to take full advantage of it that would cost over 1k...

But Nintendo is expected to sell a console at 250 bux and is expected to perform on par with the ps4 running at 1080p / 60 fps (which the ps4 doesn't necessarily do stably) and be portable with at least 5 hours of battery life...

cracks me up..

Oregano

This thing requires fan? The Shield Tablet K1 was 0.512TF and will be coming on for three years old when this comes out, and that required no such cooling solution. Given that this is built on similar tech, surely it must be a higher equivalent power in 2017, than that was in 2014? So probably over 1TF?

I don't think the K1 was that powerful, that sounds like the X1 but at peak performance that needs a fan too. Switch could be a bit higher than that but probably around that region is the safest assumption.

1 TFlop would be close to impossible I think.

Top Bottom