• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Switch screen is 6.2", 720p, Capacitive Multi-Touch, IR sensor

People want the Switch to run AAA titles at good framerates AND have a good battery life but also want a 1080p / 1440p screen

?

If you seriously think that because your phone has a 1440p screen the Switch, a gaming-oriented handheld machine, should have it as well, then you really should not be discussing anything tech-related, at all.

Like, seriously, ok, your phone has a 1440p screen, but do you think it could run something like zelda BoTW at stable 30 FPS at 1440p or even 1080p? No. In fact, I bet that if you load up San Andreas and increase the resolution slider to 100% it will be choppy.
I think what they should do is advertise it like a
Reina display. A lot of people don't understand DPI, but they know what 720p is. So say it's a display that pushes sharpness and clarity for small power and better battery life. Technically you're not lying lol

I think what they should do is advertise it like a
Reina display. A lot of people don't understand DPI, but they know what 720p is. So say it's a display that pushes sharpness and clarity for small power and better battery life. Technically you're not lying lol

Yeah I suggested that earlier. It works for Apple!

Arttemis

Pixel Per Inch (ppi) comparisons

WiiU - 854x480 @ 6.2 inch = 158 ppi
Vita - 960x544 @ 5 inch = 220 ppi
Switch - 1280x720 @ 6.2 inch = 236 ppi

This is a great post. I've heard the Switch is more capable when docked, so I'm sure it'll output 1080p, but I doubt this thing will be that capable unless the pricepoint is high enough to reflect native-1080p performance.

ggx2ac

Still catching up on the thread but, it's as I said before. Nintendo have to use a buzzword for its screen display resolution like "blast processing".

It can definitely work seeing as Nintendo's marketing has already worked on this forum by convincing people that the Switch isn't a hybrid but a "Home Gaming System".

lol

The amount of people complaining that this thing is only 720p in handheld mode is seriously hurting my brain. Can you really be that stupid? Your telling me for an EXTREMELY SLIGHT resolution boost to 1080p that you will not even notice because of the fact you're using a handheld you'd be willing to pay more for the system and have it have even less battery life?! Tell me these people are using some kind of dry sarcasm or are they really that stupid?

Arc81

Banned
The amount of people complaining that this thing is only 720p in handheld mode is seriously hurting my brain. Can you really be that stupid? Your telling me for an EXTREMELY SLIGHT resolution boost to 1080p that you will not even notice because of the fact you're using a handheld you'd be willing to pay more for the system and have it have even less battery life?! Tell me these people are using some kind of dry sarcasm or are they really that stupid?
So when docked the output is native 1080p? Enlightened me genius.

6.2" screen at 720p is 236 ppi.

27" 4k monitor, omg graphics, is 171 ppi.

To anyone complaining the handheld isn't 1080p.........wut.

So true. The image quality for a handheld title at that resolution will be great considering the screen size, in fact its going to have better clarity than what everyone in this thread is seeing when playing consoles on their big screen TV's

Speely

Banned
Reminder: a 6.2 inch screen pushing native 720p games will look great and have a pixel density that is very favorable vs a big 1080p TV screen.

Edit: ^^ The above makes my post redundant and less informative.

Portugeezer

Should be nice and crisp is Vita is anything to go by. I am more worried about whether games will bother having AA in portable mode and how that will then translate into docked mode.

Speely

Banned
Would be great if true. Then handheld mode at 720p should be enough

Docked resolution is going to be up to the developer. Can a custom Tegra chip output 1080p? Sure. Will that be realistic for every game? Probably not. There is a definite ceiling for power here, and it will be up to each dev team to figure out how they want to utilize everything under that ceiling, and the tools they are using will affect that a lot. Quick and dirty ports will probably look like quick and dirty ports.

I predict (safely) that some games will run at 1080p in docked mode and others will not. There won't be a magical 1080p switch (hah) that devs can just toggle on.

Seloth

Banned
Were people expecting a 4K handheld that fits in your pocket with external hard drive support? Sure does sound like it.

I honestly wonder if some of the people in here really upset about 720p on this screen realize it will look clearer than their PS4 looks on their TV right now

Bgamer90

Banned
The iPhone has a 4.7" display.

The pixels will be quite obvious on this thing. Won't touch a resolution that low with a pole tbh. Hope it doesn't limit the resolution on TVs to 720p...

Are you kidding me....

If 720p causes pixels to be "quite obvious" on a 6.2" screen then how in the world are you playing current gen console games on a TV? Come on. Seriously.

Thank you. The marketing war over phone specs has officially killed some people's idea of what is good resolution for a small screen.

Yep, as long as every game runs at native resolution (and based on rumored specs I don't see why they can't) the games should look great at that resolution. Really the issue is not the handheld part at all which seems fine, but what happens when you dock it. 720p on current tvs is not great.

720p is a perfectly decent resolution for that screen size, especially if the goal is to have most games run at native res, which will look very sharp compared to a 1080p screen with all the content running lower than native anyway.

But c'mon man. 1080p is not a small jump from 720p. "Extremely slight"... Sounds like a post from 2010.

It's like you yourself just said and like others have previously said: 720p on a handheld looks extremely sharp therefore 1080p is near useless.

Nice and cheap. Everything I have read so far looks like this is going for the sub £200 mark. This screen will be similar to what is found on sub £100 devices at the moment. The chip set and memory are the other expensive factors. Going by the K1 which by all accounts looks like the base for the Switch, most likely to be an upgrade on that as is about a year old now, so that realistically would fit into that price range. Basically going to be down to the memory which sets the price for this as the dock wont really do much.

Most likely use 720p across the board with 1080p upscale for tv for the more intensive games, the ability to supersample on the tablet and native 1080p for those that aren't. It will be interesting to see if Nintendo decide to output 4k non gaming media via HDMI which the K1 can do.

btrboyev

6.2" ..... at 720p...... 2017 and forwards....ew!

raw

720p still looks very sharp at those small sizes.

Are.. are you people crazy... like... what will please your unrealistic and unreasonable expectations? The impossible?

720p on a device that's built for portable gaming is absolutely fine, given the level of gfx expected from the switch, any higher and I'd be concerned with the long term thermal performance and reliability, we are not talking about apple level engineering with the switch and ninty had to go to a third party vendor to get the soc for their device.720p is a sound choice given the options available.

However the so called crazy people are not so crazy as we do live in a world that's powered by 1080p and above mobile screens and even apple has done away with sub HD ipads and gone above the resolution with its higher end phones. To the extent that 720p is considered entry level among android phones and tablets.

While I totally understand the res choice for the switch I completely agree with it, a portable tablet in 2017 having a 720p screen can be considered having a low end and dated res.

dogen

720p is a perfectly decent resolution for that screen size, especially if the goal is to have most games run at native res, which will look very sharp compared to a 1080p screen with all the content running lower than native anyway.

But c'mon man. 1080p is not a small jump from 720p. "Extremely slight"... Sounds like a post from 2010.

1080p has 2.25x the pixels of 720p but on a 6" screen doesn't look anywhere NEAR 2.25x better.

To anyone who thinks it should have a 1080p screen, the only outcomes of that would be either significantly lower framerate or significantly worse graphics vs 720(or somewhere in between), or sub native games that would end up looking worse than they would have otherwise.

It would make no sense whatsoever.

How can Nintendo even say this isn't replacing the 3ds lol.. what reason would anyone have to buy another Nintendo handheld after this is released?

Should be nice and crisp is Vita is anything to go by. I am more worried about whether games will bother having AA in portable mode and how that will then translate into docked mode.

If that improves performance like having it be able to maintain a locked frame rate, isn't that preferable?

A question I've wanted to ask - if we do get a USB3 port on the retail version like the development hardware, will plugging it into a wall while playing offer the same performance boostbovwr 'portable mode' as it would sitting in the dock?

The masses really don't care that much about resolution. DVDs still massively outsell Blu-Rays. The most popular console in the US the last couple of months is the one which plays the most popular third party games at lower resolutions than its competitor (including the most popular game of the moment, BF1, at 720p). The most popular hardware in Japan for the past few years runs games at 240p, and the most popular smartphone is just over 720p itself.

This is when you know you are really reaching, when you have to add multiple modifiers to prove a point.

I'll also save you the trouble of checking my post history, I don't like Nintendo games, haven't bought a Nintendo console since gamecube, 2ds and 3ds are all gathering dust because my daughter doesn't touch them. I generally only read topics related to Nintendo and rarely post in them, and this system will likely change none of that.

Ninferno

Well, your almighty, "best on earth" iPhone also sells for $600 as a start, remember? You sure you want a dedicated gaming device, which is by no mean a NECESSITY for daily life to cost that much as well?

Type_Raver

Originally Posted by Robert at Zeboyd Games

Just for giggles and additional context, whats the 3DS ppi?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
People fail to realize that rendering and playing a game like Bayonetta 2 on a portable in 720p is more impressive than playing Angry Birds in 1080p on their phone ...lol.

99% of the people seeing Switches in the Wild once it out will be impressed by what they see.

Formosa

720p device releasing in 2017? You're kidding me, right?

Even if that is serviceable, people know what resolutions are these days and that won't be seen as a good thing in the eyes of the masses.
+1. Although 720 is enough to look "okay" on a small screen, the iPhone Plus got 1080p. I know it's not the best comparison... But it tells me that the resolution for the Switch doesn't give me a wow factor. And ya... 720p for a handheld from 2017 and forward is kind of weak.

Type_Raver

3DS OG 2D/(3D) - 132.15 / (236.61)
3DS XL 2D/(3D) - 95.59 / (171.15)
2DS - 132.15
New 3DS 2D/(3D) - 120.23 / (215.26)
New 3DS XL 2D/(3D) - 95.59 / (171.15)

Thats quite interesting on many fronts

Firstly, there a difference in ppi between 2d and 3d modes.

Next, between OG 3ds and NEW 3ds theres a difference in 3D mode (but no difference between XL models 3D mode).

Finally, comparing apples to apples, that is 2d modes across all consoles including wiiu, vita and NS, the xDS's ppi is appauling!

I think the NS's screen will be quite impressive and the on-the-go experience will be surprisingly good!

Thoughts on IR:

When Laura Dale reported that, according to her sources, all games must be playable without touch, I made an admittedly hyperbolic thread about how Switch MUST have a gyro/IR pointing interface to simulate touch screen controls on a TV. Even though gyro/IR will never replicate a touch interface, a touch game can at least minimally function when docked.

One option is to disallow touch games like Severed on the system completely, which would be a shame because Switch is perfectly capable of running the game as intended in portable mode.

Assuming you allow touch games, the interesting case arises when the user is playing the game and they decide to dock the system. From a usability perspective, I think it's better to provide minimal functionality while warning the player that the game experience may be suboptimal because it was designed with a touch screen in mind. The alternative is to throw up a message on the screen telling the player to undock the Switch because it's only playable in portable mode.

EDIT: As a bonus, you can hypothetically play Wii VC games without breaking out your Wiimotes, but the upside-down joycon doesn't look very ergonomic.

Speely

Banned
+1. Although 720 is enough to look "okay" on a small screen, the iPhone Plus got 1080p. I know it's not the best comparison... But it tells me that the resolution for the Switch doesn't give me a wow factor. And ya... 720p for a handheld from 2017 and forward is kind of weak.

How long can you play games with modern 3D graphics at 1080p on the iPhone Plus? How many games even allow this that are available for the platform?

Formosa

How long can you play games with modern 3D graphics at 1080p on the iPhone Plus? How many games even allow this that are available for the platform?
There are already a lot of modern game that ported to mobile games in 3D. Even Unreal Engine games.

Take a look at the iPhone screen resolution chart here. And you'll realize that the switch handheld resolution is pretty weak.

https://www.paintcodeapp.com/news/ultimate-guide-to-iphone-resolutions

Take a look at any other portable devices gaming catalog and tell if they hold a candle to Nintendos??? 720p on a portable is not bad.. isheep are perfectly fine with 750p and Japan is more than ok with the sony Xperia compact at 720p and the ds at 240p lol.

People forget that Nintendo merged their portable and console development teams. So we are going to get pokemon and animal crossing on a home console with the option to take them on the go. Content drives a platforms and Nintendos has enough ip consolidated in one place to be successful.

Namikaze

First of all, people aren't stupid because they have other expectations than you have. My biggest concern isn't that the games run in 720p when mobile, I'm okay with that. But I expect a 2017 console which apparently is designed to be a home console first of all - according to Nintendo - gets native 1080p together when connected to a TV. And yes, you can see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a TV. It's huge.

Top Bottom