• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Tabata on Final Fantasy XV - "core-centric", "casual", "best FF ever"

Kssio_Aug

I'm not too worried about the battle system. I think that there is much more than his interviews led us to believe and something lost in translation as well. If we play the demo and it feels like I'm watching a movie I'll start to worry then, but for now the hype train is chugging along.

Indeed there is much more we dont know. Even if you get all the patent anlysis and the little Tabata's words about the combat system, you will see that there's still a "hole" about all of this. We will probably have many more surprises regarding gameplay, and hopefully good ones (and I'm confident).

Why are you frowny facing?

luna30uj8.jpg
lunaoccsuyy.jpg
lunafullqtkb3.jpg

thanks alot :).

Golnei

Well, Nomura was the main artist for Parasite Eve 2.

I'm not sure whether he did the creature designs too though.

I'm not sure either, though I did love his PE1 designs. Eve's first two forms and the third version of the Ultimate Being are the perfect mix of grotesque and elegant.

Dark_castle

This game is going to be amazing, not long now.

I can remember thinking, next year, next year, since it was announced. At one point, "I'll probably be playing it in 2011, that's a safe guess." This was in 2008 if I remember right. If only I knew how wrong I was. Such a long, long time.

It's also crazy that we're finally nearing the end now. I'm probably going to go on blackout from the beginning of next year, like I've done with MGS5. It's nice to have some surprises. I remember playing FFVII, VIII, IX, X, and XII, without really knowing anything about them.

Woah, hold your tiger there. This is a big claim.

Verendus

Banned
Says the only guy on Neogaf known to have played it already.
I'm not sure how to respond to this since you just made an ass out of me (I commend you for it though), but a more developed demo about a year later in a more significantly developed stage where you can waste a good few hours compared to that miniscule hands-on is still a significant difference to me. That's still worth something. It's that line.

Woah, hold your tiger there. This is a big claim.
2006. The game was announced in 2006.

wmlk

2006-10:

CG Trailers, Pre-production work begins with a very small team of artists and writers and planners.

FFXIII,XIV pull the core teams here.

2010-2011

Small team working on the Versus...XIII-2 begins,XIV flops.

Early working prototype shown in the 2011 trailer

Planning for ARR revival begins.SE issues XIV apology and takes it very seriously.

Planning for XIII-2 in full steam.

VersusXIII full production simply cannot begin
2012-2013

XIII-2,LR,ARR full steam ahead.

SE cannot dump the valuable pre-production work done by small team under Nomura over many years : Prototype is switching to next gen in 2012..Enter Tabata.

Nomura still co-director.

Next gen switch and tech hurdles coupled with a still small team establishing some newly revised framework for what is now FFXV.

Mix of cross gen work shown at E3,Game acquires a full team after ARR releases and XIII trilogy ends , KH3 premature announcement.

2013-2014

Nomura must be moved to KH3 which is facing developmental issues

FFXV finally gets a full 300 man production team under Tabata's sole leadership.

Much of Nomura's pre-production was used but the battle system is completely revised..

2014-2015-2016

Tabata proceeds with the game. Nomura making KH3.

Nomura got screwed over because just as soon as he has a chance to make a game, the behemoth that is KH3 pulls him away from Versus.Overall management in the company is messed up.

Your point was how amazing the 2011 trailer was. I just said it wasn't. I didn't need a damn history. I've waited enough.

The second half of the trailer music gave me ASMR goosebumps all over.
Though she said on her twitter that it's a new piece of music and Gaffer Falk (who worked on it) said it was recorded just recently. So I wonder how much is done and how much is left to go.

Falk also said that soundtrack recording tends to come at the end of production, so as not to record too much material that won't be used.

I would guess she's been steadily composing some songs that have yet to be recorded. I'd also think she'd have to know the context of which her music fits into the games and certain scenes. I particularly don't know much on this front. If anybody aware within the industry could enlighten us. Do composers get to see certain scenes, read treatments or view storyboards to get a sense of how their music can fit within the game by reflecting the atmosphere of locations or the emotion of scenes?

duckroll

March 2006 - Lord Nomura-sama first scribbles the words Noctis, reality, and Hamlet on a napkin

March 2016 - Prince Tabata-kun finally ships Final Fantasy XV

---

"Sorry it took us this long."

Ceravic

I'm not sure how to respond to this since you just made an ass out of me (I commend you for it though), but a more developed demo about a year later in a more significantly developed stage where you can waste a good few hours compared to that miniscule hands-on is still a significant difference to me. That's still worth something. It's that line.

2006. The game was announced in 2006.

You got to play XV and have an awesome Lincoln Osiris avatar. Some people have all the luck

Man, watching this makes me realize how far we've come (from a technical standpoint anyway).

I really hope some of the sequences in the trailers make it into XV somehow. Like running through the city as it explodes or the party with Stella.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
March 2006 - Lord Nomura-sama first scribbles the words Noctis, reality, and Hamlet on a napkin

---

If we get XVI the year after will it have been worth it?

---

Duck-Sama pls to much logic in this comment! March 2016 it is!.. Duck give me a date for MGSV ;P

HeelPower

Your point was how amazing the 2011 trailer was. I just said it wasn't. I didn't need a damn history. I've waited enough.

Never said it was amazing on its own.

I said it was on the right track to be amazing but was never given the proper chance to fully grow...for a large multitude of reasons I mentioned in the long post.

HeelPower

I'm going to skip the demo. When they clarify on the battle system some more or if I'm presented with another opportunity, I'll probably know what I want to, and that'll be me done. I like the fresh experience, or as fresh as it can possibly be. And I still haven't completed the Mass Effect series, Sleeping Dogs, and many others that I want to play. I want to focus on that backlog with the little time I do get.

That might be a good idea.

SE is going to spoil a lot of the experience and I'd much rather have it while playing the game rather read it on some website.

After waiting so long..Its time to wait for the final stretch.

luckily that final stretch is 2015 and boy does 2015 have an amazing list of games.

Kssio_Aug

That might be a good idea.

SE is going to spoil a lot of the experience and I'd much rather have it while playing the game rather read it on some website.

After waiting so long..Its time to wait for the final stretch.

luckily that final stretch is 2015 and boy does 2015 have an amazing list of games.

Will be the time to avoid the forums. I dont know if it happens on gaf, but I'm sure that in another forum that I know will be having stupid people spoiling the end.

Kssio_Aug

interesting, nomura already said weapon switching would be automatic in 2011

http://andriasang.com/comtqu/nomura_ffxvxiii_famitsu/

Interesting. Maybe the menu with the weapons were never meaning manual switch then. Maybe they were just a preview of weapons on the deck to be used or someting like that?

The more I read about all of this, the more it seems the game is NOT going that far from its original concept, even on gameplay.

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, but in 2013, he said they decided to make it manual instead.

Even if it was said in 2013, it was last year. By all the fanfare generated out there I thought this was a crucial point of their original concept. That pratically proves how people were overracting imho!

BadWolf

They probably tried and ditched the weapon switching because it complicated things. They really seem to be focusing on making the battle system as accessible as possible in terms of execution.

Skilletor

Anyone wondering just how much FF XV has cost Square to make so far? Dev costs must be over $100m by now.

They've probably written off most of that, as others have mentioned. Development before two years ago doesn't really matter except for people who want to dwell on it.

This isn't the same game that was announced so long ago.

duckroll

I honestly think FFVI and IV are very comparable sister games.

IV can't possibly be the worst when VI is considered by some to be GOAT :p

They're very comparable in the sense that one is bad and the other is good, yes. One is an example of a bad game, the other is an example of a good game. It can be compared like that.

HeelPower

They're very comparable in the sense that one is bad and the other is good, yes. One is an example of a bad game, the other is an example of a good game. It can be compared like that.

It can be compared that both are similarly good.

Like good in the same way as each other.VI and IV.

Heck their numbers are mirror images :p

Top Bottom