• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2 to be announced at Bethesda presser

Zexen

Curious about Prey 2, don't care about Wolf/Evil Within and disappointed looking at Skyrim Remaster if all of this is confirmed. I want a new Elder Scrolls, not something that is still doing fine on PC, but with ESO being a thing, I don't have much hope.

I guess it's cool for console only players.

Futurematic

Sweet!
Both games will probably run on id Tech 6 engine (I hope).

The Prey 2 leak a while back was CryEngine. Dishonored 2 is Void, an idTech 5 upgrade. Tango was hiring UE4 developers. Basically it's potentially Ubisoft bad over at Zenimax especially once you toss in Creation (née Gamebryo) over at Bethesda. However I imagine idTech 6 will be used for Doom 2, (I assume they'll make it) Quake, Wolfenstein, and it's unlikely though not impossible for both Prey 2 and TEW 2. It also could be that Zenimax wants to standardize on idTech 6, the engine just hasn't been ready yet.

I don't know if anyone has heard anything about the engines used by the unannounced games however, I'd love to know more details. (Is Mr. Tibbs around?)

If not Mikami then probably John Johanas, who directed the DLC episodes.

I wouldn't be happy if Tango wasn't behind a sequel, though.

Please no to the DLC director. The original game is a flawed gem of a game, the DLC is awful and doesn't play to any of the strengths of the main game.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
The Prey 2 leak a while back was CryEngine. Dishonored 2 is Void, an idTech 5 upgrade. Tango was hiring UE4 developers. Basically it's potentially Ubisoft bad over at Zenimax especially once you toss in Creation (née Gamebryo) over at Bethesda. However I imagine idTech 6 will be used for Doom 2, (I assume they'll make it) Quake, Wolfenstein, and it's unlikely though not impossible for both Prey 2 and TEW 2. It also could be that Zenimax wants to standardize on idTech 6, the engine just hasn't been ready yet.

I don't know if anyone has heard anything about the engines used by the unannounced games however, I'd love to know more details. (Is Mr. Tibbs around?)

I assumed that TEW was forced to iDTech5 by Bethesda, since they own the technology. All of the early "Project Zwei" shots were in Unreal, I believe.

We also know that Tango posted 19 job openings for an unnamed Unreal 4 project a year ago.

It sounds like iDTech6 is a much better fit for Tango than iDTech5, but what will they do with those 19 Unreal personnel (presuming they hired them)? I suppose they could not have hired iDTech6 personnel in June of last year, because it wasn't even available publicly.

An announcement next week would be great, because maybe some info about the project will start to trickle in.

JimmyJones

Banned
I'm surprised at The Evil Within 2. I will still buy it even though I didn't finish the first one. Wolfenstein was great as well, but I would rather they made the Darkness 3 instead. I guess Wolfenstein is more successful and easier to sell to people.

AWESOME, I can't wait to get my hands on The Evil Within 2, the horror & the atmosphere were superb in the first game, I really liked it as a whole despite having some bad moments.
Same goes for Wolfenstein The New Order, a game where the story was strong and the gameplay was top notch, The SP was also not a 6hrs shitty campaign, it was a long quality one. So give me that Wolfen.2.

Neff

Please no to the DLC director. The original game is a flawed gem of a game, the DLC is awful and doesn't play to any of the strengths of the main game.

I wouldn't call it awful, it was a worthwhile play, had some good sections, and the story stuff was great. It's even kind of enjoyable on repeat plays knowing that you're not getting Kidman running around shooting stuff like we all wanted. But yeah, it was disappointing at the time.

It seemed to me to be a hard reaction to the criticisms that there wasn't enough 'horror' in TEW, hence lots of cliché genre shit like hiding and being perpetually vulnerable. Having Johanas in the pilot seat wouldn't necessarily result in the same kind of material, what with him being a level designer of the base game, but like I said before, I'd prefer if TEW 2 had the full backing of Mikami and Tango behind it.

Yes, Evil Within 2! Please ditch ID Tech 5 engine, and go with new engine please. Or, if you must, use the same engine as Doom, which is ID Tech 6.

Neiteio

TEW2 without stupid black bars would be amazing.
The first game received an update (on consoles and PC) that allows you to disable the black bars. Runs fine, too, except for the very first scene of the game (standing outside the hospital in the rain), where it chugs slightly when you pan the camera in front of lights. Smooth otherwise, though.

TEW is a superb game. Superb. Some of the best game balance I've ever seen. That's the main thing I want them to preserve for the sequel. The exquisite balance where you always feel like you're just barely surviving by the skin of your teeth.

The Evil Within had so much potential, but was so damn clunky at a technical level. Also, some of the design choices just didn't click with me. Overall I enjoyed it and hope its sequel will manage to improve upon everything it started.

Gator86

Excited for both games. Evil Within was a tremendously flawed 6/10, for me, but you could see the potential there. A sequel could be pretty amazing if they double down on what worked and drop the shit that didn't. More Wolfenstein is obviously a good thing too.

Neiteio

Assuming we get one, at least. Unfortunately TEW2 has the least basis for existing (next to none) in this article despite it ironically being the most discussed in this thread.
Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-05.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
Bethesda is becoming one of my favorite publishers.
They seemed to have somehow slowly morphed into this entity that is like "so we got these great teams and global talent and we really wanna give them the ability to keep making their games better and let them do their thing even if they werent smash commercial hits'

Which is weird for some reason. I dont know why.

I think Bethesda is going to have a really great conference this year if all this is true. I'm glad last years conference wasn't just a one off for Fallout.

Shauni

Assuming we get one, at least. Unfortunately TEW2 has the least basis for existing (next to none) in this article despite it ironically being the most discussed in this thread.

Why? Game sold well, had a lot of sequel bait within the game, seems pretty likely really. More likely than a Prey 2, I would say.

sjay1994

Sequels to 2 games I disliked from 2014. Might give them a look if they ditch the trash Id tech engine, but it's unlikely

Agreed.

I think that is misreading the article. The initial comment in the article about expecting these games seems to be based on private sources. Then they spend the rest of the article talking about previous hints, if any, of those games existing before now.

shingi70

Banned
So looking at the timeline for RPG releases.

2015 - Fallout 4
2016 - Dishonored 2
2017 - Prey 2
2018 - new elder Scrolls game

kodecraft

Evil Within sucked. That's a shame. Expected a new IP from Tango.

This is what I was hoping for a new IP from Tango.

TEW was cool and all and Mikami is one of my fav game designers, and I would take a Vanquish 2 over TEW2 as that franchise deserves it more.

But Mikami stated there is another up and coming director that would do their next game and the director is female. So that had me intrigued.

So maybe TEW2 is outsourced and developed by another studio like WB Montreal was to Rocksteady in doing Batman Arkham Origina.

And Tango is really working on the female directed new IP.

For TEW2 the entire game needs to be like chapters 7-9 from the first game and just maybe you've got something good.
But then again, it's going to be sad seeing Mikami's studio trapped doing mainstream AAA sequels/RE4 clones, i.e. doing the opposite of what he wanted his new company to achieve.

That's why I'm not in here excited for TEW2.

Neff

Why? Game sold well, had a lot of sequel bait within the game, seems pretty likely really. More likely than a Prey 2, I would say.

Well financially speaking it's viable since it apparently sold well, but there's nothing specific to suggest that it's coming beyond that, unlike the other games mentioned in the article.

I think that is misreading the article. The initial comment in the article about expecting these games seems to be based on private sources. Then they spend the rest of the article talking about previous hints, if any, of those games existing before now.

True, they basically say "we've heard they're announcing it" and no more than that. I hope it is announced though.

icespide

Banned
was there ever any information about why TEW ran like such shit? most other idtech5 games on console ran pretty well right?

Shauni

Well financially speaking it's viable since it apparently sold well, but there's nothing specific to suggest that it's coming beyond that, unlike the other games mentioned in the article.

Well sales is all that really matters as far as potentially getting a sequel, so I don't know what else there really is to it. And there was obviously a lot left open from the first game, so it's rife for a sequel, creatively, as well.

Top Bottom