• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Why I'm tired of Fallout 4 encumbrance

Aaron D.

I can see the argument against encumbrance.

I personally enjoy it as it leads to some interesting, strategic decision making out in the field. Also seems like its absence would break the game in many ways in regards to devaluing items in the world.

But I can see why it's not for everyone.

Garlador

Constantly going back and forth to drop stuff off is like grinding battles in a JRPG. You are choosing to play in an unnatural (and tedious) way to facilitate a level of ease that wasn't intended.

Removing encumbrence is just accelerating the same end, which is: make an easy game even easier by enabling a "have all the things" cheat. You're not actually supposed to have all the things.

The game is no more easy or difficult with encumbrance removed. I've had just as much of a challenge with or without it.

There's no "skill" involved. No challenge. No difficulty.

It's just tedium and busy-work. With it removed, the game doesn't magically get "easier". Just more enjoyable and well-paced.

I feel like Bethesda games will get cuasualized more with each installment to the point where f4 is barely recognizable as a real rpg. Dont worry detractors, Im sure f5 will lose loot weight

And I'm sure you'll be able to mod it back in if you really want it.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm tired of <every game> encumbrance.

Yes.
And I wouldn't say necessary evil. It's just evil. Make a magic sci-fi device that miniaturizes stuff and you can only grow them again when in a town or something. There, problem solved; you can't carry eveything at once, but you don't stop looting to drop stuff on the ground either.

Afaik it would even help performance to not have a world littered with discarded / uncollected loot.

I personally enjoy it as it leads to some interesting, strategic decision making out in the field. Also seems like its absence would break the game in many ways in regards to devaluing items in the world.

Stuff you can pick for free on areas already ridden of enemies are already devalued. It costs only time in the real world.

MMaRsu

Banned
I don't get the people giving the immersion argument. For me being emcumbered and item management is playing the video game. So I'm glad it's in there.

But item management is boring busywork?! What if just wanna shootbang and not worry about anything?

*Sarcastic response*

I personally enjoy it as it leads to some interesting, strategic decision making out in the field. Also seems like it would break the game in many ways in regards to devaluing items in the world.

I wish I could say the same thing. The only decision I've had to make due to encumbrance is when to fast travel back to Sanctuary Hills to store/sell all of my junk. It's a minor annoyance but I do wonder why they made carry limit so small.

MMaRsu

Banned
Who here is even saying that? What 'worries' would be removed if the system was changed/removed?

I feel the same way about encumbrance as it is.

Plenty of people are saying exactly that!

If you dont like encumbrance I feel you are playing a gane which ddoesnt cater to your every wish. Its part of the game. Deal with it? Or mod it out

Garlador

Crap like this whining is why the games keep getting dumbed down.

... You're playing FALLOUT 4, right? That ship sailed long ago.

It's in the same footstep as every other streamlined RPG.
rpg-dragon-age-2-vs-planescape-torment-%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%87%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B0-538328.jpeg

I feel like Bethesda games will get cuasualized more with each installment to the point where f4 is barely recognizable as a real rpg. Dont worry detractors, Im sure f5 will lose loot weight

Seeing as how I'd be reluctant to call FO4 an RPG then it's pretty much there. I'm not a huge fan of the game but FO3 was already very casual. Losing encumbrance or at least giving the option is nothing compared to what they've already done to it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
There are many ways they could introduce a more meaningful and mechanically interesting encumbrance system in the game's world and it wouldn't take all that much effort or alteration to the current game. The current one is simply not suited to the changes that have been made from FO3/NV, not that it was ever great in those games either as people still hoarded everything. Plus few games really put any thought into inventory and weight limits. So it's not that big a surprise it's an issue here.

As others have said it would be great if they had some system that let you collect everything from a location into a pool of sorts that then remains there until collected by your settlements, which are everywhere. It would be a stronger incentive to develop and build up more settlements. As the more settlements you have the faster things are collected. If you only build up Sanctuary then the time it takes to pickup stashes from downtown Boston are going to take a while. You still get everything but it's balanced out a bit by wait times.

Allowing the player to then collected items and not miss anything without having to personally carry every single bit would allow them to place more realistic carry limits on the player and more realistic weights on items. Instead of being able to carry a super human amount of 200 pounds of stuff you could cut that in half, or less, and allow the player to focus only on what they immediately need on hand and setting aside the rest to be retrieved later.

Alternatively they could have introduced a new weight limit system where by only the items you have equipped affect your encumbrance. Instead of having some hugely inflated carry limit, you instead have an equipment limit. So at 5 STR you can equip up to say 75lbs of items. So you could have everything under the sun in your inventory, but only what you actively wear and have slotted affect you.

So that Heavy Combat Armor set of yours will take up 30lbs, then those 4 guns of yours will take up another 25lbs, plus those chems and food items you choose take up another 10lbs. So you're sitting at 65/75lbs. This encumbrance could then affect your other stats. Closer you are to that weight limit will slow down your sprint speed and increase your AP drain, it will reduce your sneak and maybe your melee attack speed and reload speeds. During combat then your inventory would be locked out and only those items you had equipped would be accessible until hostilities ceased.

So again players aren't punished or prevented from picking up everything and reaping the rewards from that, but they still needs to be mindful of what items they are using and have slotted actively for when it matters in combat. No more pausing and switching gear or weapons, or partaking in the dozens and dozens of chems and consumables they may have on hand.

There are plenty of other systems and mechanics they could introduce to make a more meaningful and interesting encumbrance/inventory system, but these two really don't require all that big a change to the current system. Only minor changes to item weights and character weight limits would be needed for the first, along with a catchall storage for each location. The second would need a bit more in terms of background stats and balancing, but the current interface wouldn't need to be changed all that much. The current quick menu on the D-Pad is more than sufficient to be used as an indicator of your active weapons and items compared to the rest of your inventory.

Having an enemy wait 5 minutes while you sort through your inventory isn't realistic, nor is fast travelling, nor is the entire premise of the game. Nothing in Fallout is realistic, that's a poor argument.

man, immersion gamers are the worst.

Nobody understands what makes things immersive or not for you. They just think you mean realistic. So maybe be more specific if you're going to call out a mechanic as "not immersive"

smudge

To me, that sounds like poor game design. You can't build your title, especially when you already have a significant fanbase, around what you want players to do without also considering what players will actually do.

If you're building a system and trying to incentivize players towards a given set of decisions (say, about which items are worth picking up), but time and time again see that your players pick up *everything*, and when defending their love of your work often cite "I can pick up everything" as a major positive trait of your games, and one of the main things which distinguishes it from the competition, then maybe you should take that into consideration.

It's a given that there's a spectrum of opinions on this stuff, but the other thing that's abundantly clear if you look at the kind of mods that pop up quickly on PC, is that many people dislike these systems, in both directions. For as many weight mods and lockpick cheats and whatever else, there's a corresponding hardcore mod for making you carry only one weapon, or have to drink water all the time, or take damage when it's too cold, etc.

I just see no reason to admit this on a developer level, and just make the shit optional out of the gate.

I agree, perhaps it should be optional out of the box as part of difficulty selection like hardcore modes which give ammo weight etc.

Item management is fine, but not as it is at the moment. Being 0.1 over your limit and suddenly being rooted to the ground is an awful system, especially since inventory management doesn't exactly flow well in bethesda games. If they made it easier to sort your inventory, rank your weapons/armours etc then it would be an easier pill to swallow.

You can already sort by weight, damage, rate of fire, accuracy, and value. There are icons that indicate what you have equipped and what items are favorites. Further you can rename items so you can quite literally rank them yourself so it auto sorts with whatever you want at the top of the list.

The UI is far, far from perfect but most of that functionality is already there.

I think people are being too defensive here. I like Fallout and TES games, I just think the way encumbrance currently works is an annoyance and has no benefit to the overall experience. I'm not saying remove it, I'm saying make it better.

For me it has a huge benefit because I try to avoid fast travel. It's a core part of the experience because it feeds into my settlements and supply lines. 80% of the reason that I establish settlements are to provide a staging point where I can drop off loot, craft, etc.

On the way back to drop off loot I've had numerous encounters, quests, and other random cool stuf that I would not have encountered if I simply fast traveled everywhere or modified the carry weight.

I get that other people don't like it but the system, as is, does provide a lot of value to some of us.

Doc_Drop

I wish I could say the same thing. The only decision I've had to make due to encumbrance is when to fast travel back to Sanctuary Hills to store/sell all of my junk. It's a minor annoyance but I do wonder why they made carry limit so small.

But what are you carrying that is taking up your inventory? Is it all necessary? Do you need to be carrying hundreds of junk items or over a dozen weapons?

These are questions that are seemingly going unanswered by those complaining of small carry weight

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Encumbrance is the worst thing developers put into RPGs, it adds nothing but really annoying trips back to different towns to try and sell all your useless loot.

I spent hours fucking around with my inventory in Witcher 3 on the PS4 that could have been spent actually having fun. I've gotten a mod/command in Skyrim, Fallout 4, New Vegas, Witcher 2 and any other RPG game I end up playing on the PC.

Garlador

I agree, perhaps it should be optional out of the box as part of difficulty selection like hardcore modes which give ammo weight etc.

Precisely.

I see no good reason why this can't be an OPTION for players. If you want it, have it. If you don't, you can adjust it on the difficulty selector.

I want to hear from someone any legitimately good arguments against having this as an option. Really. Let me hear a good reason against giving players MORE choice in how to play the game.

But what are you carrying that is taking up your inventory? Is it all necessary? Do you need to be carrying hundreds of junk items or over a dozen weapons?

These are questions that are seemingly going unanswered by those complaining of small carry weight
Then let me answer them.

Yes, all junk is now useful and necessary crafting material for a variety of uses. Yes, I need to carry hundreds of junk items and a dozen weapons because I'm USING them, often and constantly, in a variety of ever-changing scenarios, and having the means to do that makes the game more enjoyable.

They created new mechanics in the game that make all that "junk" legitimately useful and essential... but didn't balance the encumbrance to compensate for the change.

man, immersion gamers are the worst.

Nobody understands what makes things immersive or not for you. They just think you mean realistic. So maybe be more specific if you're going to call out a mechanic as "not immersive"

What? I don't understand what any of this has to do with my post.

MMaRsu

Banned
Precisely.

I see no good reason why this can't be an OPTION for players. If you want it, have it. If you don't, you can adjust it on the difficulty selector.

I want to hear from someone any legitimately good arguments against having this as an option. Really. Let me hear a good reason against giving players MORE choice in how to play the game.

Bethesda isnt really about b giving you lots of choices in their games anymore..

I wish it had two kinds of encumbrance (that's a really weird word btw), one for what you're wearing dictating stat modulation, and one secondary for inventory which doesn't affect your character in any way and is upgradeable/changeable so you are increasing your inventory space through exploration/item management. As it is it's just an arbitrary limit that's... well, fun and all, but adding gameplay mechanics to it would flesh it out a bit and i think people would have less trouble with it that way. The perception that this is a clear very simple abstraction of something a lot more complex is imo the one thing people have the most trouble with.

Sblargh

Banned
Strategic decision:
"I want to use this very big armor, but I don't have enough strenght; I could put points into strenght, but that would prevent me from using the sniper rifle which demands a lot of points into perception"

Not a strategic decision:
"I could pick up everything, but I don't want to be bored by fast travelling back and forth from the town and where I am for the only thing I lose by this is time I could be spending with my family or reading a book about the debate of wheter lobster is an insect or not"

Greddleok

Because the game isn't designed to allow the player to do that, the whole point of the system is to make the player think about which items they pick up

I would argue that people should be more careful with what they loot. Especially since the looting of containers has been streamlined in not even needing to open the container menu, being able to see in passing what's in a container, and selecting according to what you want. The fact that you can tag items that are of particular use for specific mods makes it even more simple to loot.

Yet it encourages you to do it, by making objects stick out in the environment, making them worth money, or components to progress.
It's awful design.

... You're playing FALLOUT 4, right? That ship sailed long ago.

It's in the same footstep as every other streamlined RPG.
rpg-dragon-age-2-vs-planescape-torment-%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%87%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B0-538328.jpeg

Can we please drop this ridiculous hyperbole? People have been ignoring encumbrance rules since the day D&D was invented.

And while Torment is an amazingly written game, it was an anomaly then, and is still to this day the peak of RPG (and probably games in general) writing. Acting like we were just flooded with well-written and complex story-driven games with innumerable interesting dialogue paths to go down is disingenuous at best.

Here we are comparing it to what? A bland conversation option in a game which featured several absolutely incredible character moments through conversation, like Dorian's entire backstory and quests.

edit: I realize now that's a shot from DA2, not DA3. But my point stands. There are plenty of modern games with good moments of writing, and I maintain that Fallout 4 is Bethesda's most competently-written game yet, and that the conversation system is a huge improvement on their previous efforts.

smudge

Yet it encourages you to do it, by making objects stick out in the environment, making them worth money, or components to progress.
It's awful design.

Is it better design to allow the player to loot everything with zero consequence ?

Is it better design to allow the player to loot everything with zero consequence ?

In this specific case I would argue yes. If it means I can spend more time actually playing the game and not having to travel back and forth from base regularly, and examine my inventory before approaching a quest/dungeon then I would say that's a better gameplay decision. There are plenty of other ways the game can be difficult, the current encumbrance system does nothing but waste time.

Mockerre

God, having the game not pause when you open the pipboy would be hell. I can just see myself now having a look at equipment, maps, quests, and then being sacked by a deathclaw out of nowhere

There's just to much cheating going on for me with the Pipboy in combat ;)

What? I don't understand what any of this has to do with my post.

Oh, I mistook his 'you' as referring to me.

I was responding to someone who said encumberance was immersion breaking. I said I thought it was more realistic to have encumberance and thought that was what immersion was about. McGreevious jumped in and I assumed he was the one I originally responded to, but he's just being that guy in the thread that responds to literally everything.

dity

In this specific case I would argue yes. If it means I can spend more time actually playing the game and not having to travel back and forth from base regularly, and examine my inventory before approaching a quest/dungeon then I would say that's a better gameplay decision. There are plenty of other ways the game can be difficult, the current encumbrance system does nothing but waste time.
Question: how DO you play? How do you loot?

I was responding to someone who said encumberance was immersion breaking. I said I thought it was more realistic to have encumberance and thought that was what immersion was about. McGreevious jumped in and I assumed he was the one I originally responded to, but he's just being that guy in the thread that responds to literally everything.

I'm on lunch at work and the conversation is interesting. I'm sorry that bothers you.

smudge

It isn't about being difficult, it is about choice. It's about making meaningful decisions. You know, you don't have to loot every single item in the game.
When I first played Oblivion I looted everything, I spent so much time trading or dropping items so I could pick up more, until I decided I was only going to loot things that I needed or things which had high value. This is the systems intention.
Not having the system, in my opinion renders looting anything pointless, it might as well already be in you inventory.

Greddleok

Yes. It's far more fun. The consequence is so low an insignificant in game terms. You lose minor things, fast travel then dump everything safely.
In reality, the consequence is me wanting to turn the game off because it's no longer interesting looking at menus.

Sblargh

Banned
Dark Souls:

You can carry everything at once, but the weight of stuff is more vital in that game than most I played that had an encumberance system, because weight matter when (and only when) you equip the items. So you can only equip so much at a given time and it's not simple to change equipment in the fly. Also weight determines stuff like speed and dodging; experienced players run the game naked because of how weight works.

But Dark Souls is a dumbed down game where loot is not important.

Fallout:

You can equip almost everything as soon as you find it, but to do so, have to stop collecting important vital stuff like "tin can" and armor you won't use unless you're willing to fast travel to town and sell all the other tin cans and armor you won't use.

But Fallout is a deep game, in which you think deeply about everything you loot.

Question: how DO you play? How do you loot?

I take stuff that I think I'll need or that looks cool. The thing with games like TES or Fallout is you don't really know how important everything is or when you're going to need it, so I'd rather not have to leave stuff at base, then find out that some of it would have been convenient to have, then have to travel back and get it again. Especially since (I don't think) stuff is stored across different settlements, so if I leave something in Settlement A and decide it would be useful to keep at Settlement B, I need to travel to A just to get it again.

I've not yet played FO4 so I'm just basing all this on experiences with FO3, NV, Skyrim and Oblivion. Love the games as a whole but things like this are just bothersome.

smudge

Yes. It's far more fun. The consequence is so low an insignificant in game terms. You lose minor things, fast travel then dump everything safely.
In reality, the consequence is me wanting to turn the game off because it's no longer interesting looking at menus.

You don't have to loot everything you see. Try it sometime.

I'm on lunch at work and the conversation is interesting. I'm sorry that bothers you.

it's fine, do whatever you want!

which i guess is the good thing about Bethesda.

So when they take out encumberance and all checks and everything, they can all just be modded back in! Unless they take away modding too.

personally, i like working around the weight limit. It's the only thing left in the game to think about.

Garlador

Can we please drop this ridiculous hyperbole? People have been ignoring encumbrance rules since the day D&D was invented.

And while Torment is an amazingly written game, it was an anomaly then, and is still to this day the peak of RPG (and probably games in general) writing. Acting like we were just flooded with well-written and complex story-driven games with innumerable interesting dialogue paths to go down is disingenuous at best.

Here we are comparing it to what? A bland conversation option in a game which featured several absolutely incredible character moments through conversation, like Dorian's entire backstory and quests.

edit: I realize now that's a shot from DA2, not DA3. But my point stands. There are plenty of modern games with good moments of writing, and I maintain that Fallout 4 is Bethesda's most competently-written game yet, and that the conversation system is a huge improvement on their previous efforts.

No, you're absolutely right.

But to claim that Fallout 4, at this point, is somehow still the hardest of the hardcore survival RGPs that just shower you with player choice and options, and that it hasn't - like EVERY franchise - evolved with the times, trimmed some fat, streamlined its mechanics, and made things more and more accessible to new and old players is, well, delusional.

Fallout 4 is a far, long, streamlined way away from where it started:

The thing is... change and accessibility can be GOOD things. Making a game more enjoyable by dropping or changing things that weren't enjoyable or weren't resonating with players is how a franchise improves, grows, and stays relevant.

... And it would be hypocritical to say Fallout 4 hasn't done this in many areas. "Encumbrance" just isn't one of those areas.

It isn't about being difficult, it is about choice. It's about making meaningful decisions. You know, you don't have to loot every single item in the game..
What about the meaningful decision to use encumbrance or not? ... Oh yeah. We don't get to make that choice.

AColdDay

Solution: After clearing a dungeon of enemies, you then have the option to access your home base storage at will in that dungeon.

From a gameplay standpoint, it eliminates the biggest gripe about encumbrance without actually taking the system out, is that it creates an unnecessary barrier between the junk system being used for crafting and having to always return to your home base. It would also make clearing a dungeon even more rewarding, knowing that you can just strip that sucker down to the bone after you take it over.

In Fallout, you can even justify it in storyline saying that you are assigning some of your settlers to strip a place down now that you've cleared it of danger.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Junk is important for the base crafting elements, but the existing encumbrance parameters that accommodate junk hoarding also allow for a ton of weapon and armor hoarding. When the player has the ability to schlep around 30 guns on their person, is encumbrance really encouraging hard decisions about inventory management?

I'm for the give-and-take solution. Pare down the amount of weight players can carry to encourage more focused personal inventory builds instead of just accommodating huge laundry lists of weapons and armor pieces, but implement a button prompt that will send found items in the field directly to the workshop rather than into your pack. Carrying he amount of junk you can carry never really made sense, and asking people to collect, fast travel, dump, repeat to scavenge materials is unnecessary tedium.

Just cut out the middleman.

So yeah, more restricted personal inventory management, unrestricted settlement inventory management.

dity

I take stuff that I think I'll need or that looks cool. The thing with games like TES or Fallout is you don't really know how important everything is or when you're going to need it, so I'd rather not have to leave stuff at base, then find out that some of it would have been convenient to have, then have to travel back and get it again. Especially since (I don't think) stuff is stored across different settlements, so if I leave something in Settlement A and decide it would be useful to keep at Settlement B, I need to travel to A just to get it again.

I've not yet played FO4 so I'm just basing all this on experiences with FO3, NV, Skyrim and Oblivion. Love the games as a whole but things like this are just bothersome.

Well, I actually am playing it, and with a weight limit of around 250 I still wasn't needing to dump my loot back at a settlement all the time. I only go back when I want to mod weapons or get away from the action - it's not a routine "after every mission" deal here.

No, you're absolutely right.

But to claim that Fallout 4, at this point, is somehow still the hardest of the hardcore survival RGPs that just shower you with player choice and options, and that it hasn't - like EVERY franchise - evolved with the times, trimmed some fat, streamlined its mechanics, and made things more and more accessible to new and old players is, well, delusional.

Fallout 4 is a far, long, streamlined way away from where it started:

The thing is... change and accessibility can be GOOD things. Making a game more enjoyable by dropping or changing things that weren't enjoyable or weren't resonating with players is how a franchise improves, grows, and stays relevant.

... And it would be hypocritical to say Fallout 4 hasn't done this in many areas. "Encumbrance" just isn't one of those areas.

Oh, there's no question that the Bethesda Fallout games are completely different. I wouldn't use "dumbed down", and don't think streamlining is a bad thing.

I've been playing RPGs and loving them just as long as most of the people here who are totally fine with these things. Personally, I have been perfectly fine with and enjoyed the vast majority of changes taking place in RPG development over the last 25 years or so. It's only made them more and more enjoyable, IMO.

Doc_Drop

Precisely.

I want to hear from someone any legitimately good arguments against having this as an option. Really. Let me hear a good reason against giving players MORE choice in how to play the game..

Options are always good, I would never complain about options. I certainly don't begrudge people using console commands or mods to help tailor the game to their personal tastes.

Then let me answer them.

Yes, all junk is now useful and necessary crafting material for a variety of uses. Yes, I need to carry hundreds of junk items and a dozen weapons because I'm USING them, often and constantly, in a variety of ever-changing scenarios, and having the means to do that makes the game more enjoyable.

They created new mechanics in the game that make all that "junk" legitimately useful and essential... but didn't balance the encumbrance to compensate for the change.

I understand that, and I do feel they missed a trick in not providing an answer for item weight in most different S.P.E.C.I.A.L attributes; i.e. Strength allowing you to carry more, Endurance having a similar effect or perk, Charisma having some weight related/barter related perk, etc.

As it is, I am happy but can understand those who are not.

On the subject of all junk having an intrinsic value, I don't believe that anyone requires all components at all times really. Wood and steel are generally abundant around settlements and workbenches, and if you are specialising in specific modding, only specific items relate to those recipes. If you want all junk at all times I don't know what to tell you.

On guns and armour, I personally just mod the best armour pieces I can find (usually the ones with perks) and only collect components if that's what I want to do at the time. One night in a week I'll decide to focus on getting crafting for example, for that 1-2 hour stretch I'll be looking for components and modding. For guns I do something similar, like you said guns for different situations.

The following is not aimed at you specifically, but I feel that there are many people who want to experience/have all things at all times and in my experience that's not gonna happen in a Bethesda open world RPG. At the moment my character can't hack or pick locks for shit, but that's my choice. It's sometimes somewhat heartbreaking not being able to get into an armoury to loot it to high heaven, but that was my choice in building my character. Next playthrough I might go INT/PER build to get that stuff, or CHA/LCK to get dialogue benefits that I missed out on before

Sblargh

Banned
The following is not aimed at you specifically, but I feel that there are many people who want to experience/have all things at all times and in my experience that's not gonna happen in a Bethesda open world RPG. At the moment my character can't hack or pick locks for shit, but that's my choice. It's sometimes somewhat heartbreaking not being able to get into an armoury to loot it to high heaven, but that was my choice in building my character. Next playthrough I might go INT/PER build to get that stuff, or CHA/LCK to get dialogue benefits that I missed out on before

That's a meaningul choice. Loot restriction isn't.

You don't even lose the loot. It stays there until you decide to come back for it months later.

Top Bottom