• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer's Games of the Generation

Kssio_Aug

I liked it. Good list!
Specially for adding Dark Souls and The Last of Us. Definitely 2 of the best games of the generation to me! :)

SmokyDave

That's a killer list of games. Top it off with Minecraft (although my personal choice would probably be Saint's Row: The Third) and we're done here.

You are looking at the style, not the substance. It's clear why you're so keen on Galaxy ;)

No, I'm fine with people disliking the game, but if you decide to write about that, you better do a good job at the writing. Also, disliking a game doesn't automatically validate a review. I forgive him because of his Bulletstorm review though. ;)

Now there is a game that deserves more praise and attention.

Cyrano

A good illustration of both points is Eurogamer's recent ocarina retrospective. The genesis of the piece starts from the truism that Ocarina is, and always will be, the best of all time and just goes to town with literally meaningless (seriously, read it) homilies to its unquestionable greatness. There is no analysis in there whatsoever.
And again, the creepy "all hail game X" wouldn't really be so terrible in isolation. You're going to get some reviewers, even some very professional reviewers, who have an unabashed love for something. It's more that the dominant reviewing media seems to be inclusive of just these writers.

Melchiah

It's good to see extraordinary games like Journey and The Last of Us, which weren't afraid to shake up common gaming foundations, getting the recognition they well deserve. It also puts a smile on my face to see such different games, as Journey and Dark Souls on the same list. From my point of view, it's giving the finger to those, who claimed Journey wasn't a true game, whatever that laughable definition means. Personally, I would have included WipEout HD on the list as well.

pooch

Neo Member
Much as I'm a fan of Tim's rants, they are oftentimes a bit too rant-y for my tastes. They feel like the travel section of videogames mixed with twenty or so years of bitterness. I like reading them, but they're also reads, and it's hard for me to sit down and escape my own hallucinations about games. Sort of a, "actual conversations about design are hard, ya know?" Tim plays it off all very jovially and I love him for that, but I do find myself distracted by his wordiness at times. Or maybe, thinking about things that aren't games (which might actually be a better way to write about games in the first place).

I suppose what I would really like to read are the stories of a writer playing a game, and I get some of that from a variety of writers; I just feel that it's not really a consistent thing from any of them. Though maybe that speaks to how poor most games are, as I think being able to tell a story from an experience is a result of that experience also being memorable enough to have a story to tell. There are really only a handful of games I can go into any great detail about, and a whole horde of games that I've played and couldn't tell you the first thing about aside from scant details that you could probably glean from a back-of-the-box scan.

Though at the same time, I feel like games of the generation might be selling the generation a bit more than it's deserving of. Just the consummate critic in me I guess.

Yeah, I sometimes feel that if he could rein it in a bit it would be much more effective. And sometimes he overreaches. I read his MGS2 piece recently for the first time as was disappointed in how empty it was (although this is relative - he still discussed the game as postmodern, which is well beyond what you would get from most reviews.

I agree with your point about the experience of games. I think a long shadow is still hanging over games reviews of discussing the technical aspects, and describing 'what' and 'how much' game you are getting.

Magic Mushroom said:
No, I'm fine with people disliking the game, but if you decide to write about that, you better do a good job at the writing. Also, disliking a game doesn't automatically validate a review. I forgive him because of his Bulletstorm review though. ;)

I can see what you mean about his writing style. But I don't think disliking a game validates his review - I think the substantive points he makes 'validate' his review.

Cyrano

Yeah, I sometimes feel that if he could rein it in a bit it would be much more effective. And sometimes he overreaches. I read his MGS2 piece recently for the first time as was disappointed in how empty it was (although this is relative - he still discussed the game as postmodern, which is well beyond what you would get from most reviews.

I agree with your point about the experience of games. I think a long shadow is still hanging over games reviews of discussing the technical aspects, and describing 'what' and 'how much' game you are getting.
'How much' game. Now there's a lark.

Where is the 50% more game of games?
The Stanley Parable

RaikuHebi

Banned

I can see what you mean about his writing style. But I don't think disliking a game validates his review - I think the substantive points he makes 'validate' his review.
I read this post without the context and immediately knew you were talking about Tim.

The Journey is one the most talked about and praised games during this generation, that will keep being influential, so it's not a bad choice at all, even if some didn't enjoy it, A very good choice for this list.

mapla

Neo Member
What game better sums up the meteoric rise of artistic indie games this gen than Journey?

I don't care about the artistic matter in indie game, neither in AAA games. I only recognise the value of a game based on its gameplay.

And in that case there are a lot of game much better than Journey, indies too. I could say The Mark of the Ninja, FEZ, Super Meat Boy, Braid (this is a good example of artistic game and it give a few hours of real gameplay).

Don't get me wrong, I understand the choice, but the first consideration of all these lists would have to be a good gameplay, IMO. Spelunky is a great choice, for example.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's likely to be number one on thier list, but then SMG may not be artistic or emotional enough for EG.

Joy is an emotion, isn't it? And incredible level design is artistic, isn't it? Chances are still there, they pick the right game (SMG) :).
Which Zelda qualifies as one of the best games this generation?
Skyward Sword, imo it's the best Zelda ever made. However, since there is only one spot left and SMG is the best game of the generation, Eurogamer obviously disagreed on that :D.

Red Dead Redemption doesn't belong in that list. I can't think of a more over praised, hyped up game that ended up being the most boring and dullest game of this gen. It's popularity amongst these GOTG and GOTY lists baffles me.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Guys, Super Mario Galaxy is tomorrow.
I'd actually be surprised at this point.

The generation had six platforms, and there's nothing in this list to suggest anybody played more than one since the consoles came out.

It was? And is?

Yes.

For the bit about being the most talked about - remember or google the discussions about the game from when it came out and a long time after about not just whether it was fun or not, but also about games as arts, how interactive a game need to be/should be and about gamelength. The game asked a lot of questions and caused a lot of interesting discussions, even if you didn't happen to like the game.

I would probably not put it in my own top 5 game list, but it was really interesting.

As for praised - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_(2012_video_game)#Reception

Journey and Last of Us don't belong on this list, imo.

I bought Journey when it was on sale and I honestly didn't see what was so ground breaking about it. It ended up being frustrating; How easy it was to get separated from your companion and lose connection with them. Beautiful visuals but very simplistic gameplay.

Last of Us is too early to be judged as "greatest of the generation".

Dusky

I'd personally go with Braid, but Journey is a fine choice.

Ditto. Braid had much more of an impact on me than Journey did, but as stated above Journey is a damn good choice as well.

Shame UC2 didn't make the list, game of the generation for me. I'm sure it made the top 50 though.

SMG will no doubt take the crown and deservedly so.

vladdamad

I agree with all of these choices, despite never having played Spelunky or Dark Souls. Will definitely be checking those two out as soon as possible. I'd put Wipeout HD on here, but it seems that people just don't remember that game. Journey is a fine choice, and is my personal Game of the Generation.

Any idea if this list is ordered? Or is it just at random?

Huggers

The Last of Us is that good you can tell it deserves it's place despite only coming out recently.

Mario Galaxy is a glaring omission for sure. As is Bioshock and Uncharted 2. Guess there's only so much room on the list. Shows what a great gen it has been

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'd actually be surprised at this point.

The generation had six platforms, and there's nothing in this list to suggest anybody played more than one since the consoles came out.

World of Warcraft is not on PS3. Since they are obviously doing console generation + PC, there were actually seven systems to consider, they must have played at least two of them (PS3, PC).

mclem

1-5 are ordered. There was a five-way tie for #6, so there's no ordering in the first five revealed.

Thanks to a neat quirk in the voting results, numbers five to ten were tied - we'll be bringing you each of them in no particular order this week, with a rundown of the final five starting next Monday.

Zia

I agree with all of these choices, despite never having played Spelunky or Dark Souls. Will definitely be checking those two out as soon as possible. I'd put Wipeout HD on here, but it seems that people just don't remember that game. Journey is a fine choice, and is my personal Game of the Generation.

The first five published are 6-10, while the top five are ordered:

5. Street Fighter IV
4. World of Warcraft
3. Spelunky
2. Dark Souls

SmokyDave

World of Warcraft is not on PS3. Since they are obviously doing console generation + PC, there were actually seven systems to consider, they must have played at least two of them (PS3, PC).
Not to mention that 6 of the 9 are multiplatform games that they could've played anywhere (that they're available).

The only platforms that are 'missing' from this list are Nintendo platforms. Understandable given that it's 'best' games and not 'best selling' games.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
World if Warcraft came out a year before the Xbox 360 and two years before PS3, so that's why I said since the consoles launched they haven't looked at anything else.

eot

Banned
I think Fallout 3 is the odd one out to be honest. As someone who doesn't play fighting games SFIV didn't do much for me, but I understand its significance.

let me just say Id take a billion Eurogamer reviews before I read another inflated Tim Rogers review with lots of ten dollar words and nebulous feelings to describe his arbitrary opinion about video games

rrs

I think Fallout 3 is the odd one out to be honest. As someone who doesn't play fighting games SFIV didn't do much for me, but I understand its significance.

Fallout: New Vegas took the fun of the FO3 and made it suck less everywhere else.

Cyrano

Fallout: New Vegas took the fun of the FO3 and made it suck less everywhere else.
Yeah, I can get on board with this. Fallout 3 is such a chore compared to Fallout New Vegas that it's really a testament to how huge a gulf there is between developers.

pinny

Banned
The only platforms that are 'missing' from this list are Nintendo platforms. Understandable given that it's 'best' games and not 'best selling' games.

How is it understandable? A game like Prime 3 is better than the majority of the games on that list and among the best FPS released this generation.

Overall this list is, unsurprisingly, pretty bad. The only games I consider good on it are Portal and Dark Souls. Journey and World of Warcraft among the best games of this generation? Sure, Eurogamer.

Top Bottom