• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer's Games of the Generation

I found most of those titles not to my taste or simply mediocre. I mean c'mon, NSMB? Okamiden? Golden Sun? Really going for the bottom of the barrel there.

The great DS games I played(not counting CT):
-AA3:TT
-Contra 4
-Bowser's Inside Story
-Kirby Canvas Curve
-Elite Beat Agents

and I would trade all of them in a heartbeat for Bayonetta or Galaxy 2 or Street Fighter 4 or dozens of others from this generation

redcrayon

I'm not a huge fan of action or shooter games which is why Dark Souls and New Vegas are basically the only ATG games on 360 for me (even though I played them on PC). That's hugely dependent on taste and simply assuming that being fond of action games is more valid than having a hard on for japanese gaming culture, is a little ignorant. TWEWY, OoE and 999 were fucking breathtaking. Not a single 360 exclusive was even remotely as good as either in my humble opinion.

And think about Pheonix Wright, Prof Layton, Pokemon, Mario kart DS, Dawn of Sorrow, Advance Wars, Dragon Quest 9, Mario and Luigi, Animal Crossing, Golden Sun, Ghost Trick, Fire Emblem, NSMB, Hotel Dusk, Okamiden and so forth. I'm getting a freaking boner listing these games.
While personally the DS is one of my favourite consoles, I bought around 70 games for it, and I love JRPGs and SRPGs, the DS iterations of Fire Emblem, Golden Sun and Dragon Quest aren't really anything special compared to their predecessors- Fire Emblem DS especially is a poor example of its series.

I agree with you on Castlevania OOE and Ghost Trick though, and I'd add Contra IV, Etrian Odyssey III, Last Window and Might & Magic Clash of Heroes to a personal list of the best on the machine.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Any "Games of the Generation" without Wii Sports is a bad list.

This game single-handedly made both Sony and Microsoft bow down. This game expanded and exploded the market in a way never seen in console gaming. Since the Wii's demise, the market has done nothing but shrink year over year. This game is the game of the generation. Period. This game, above any other example any one could come up with (with exception of one) is the definition of "killer app."

The 360 library crushed the DS library.
If you are into shooters and action, I suppose it does. The rest of your post is simply opinion I vastly disagree with. Like, I didn't even think anybody would not like the DS library, that's how ridiculously good it was, but I'm apparently mistaken. I'd rate the DS library just behind PC, SNES, PS1 and PS2.

SmokyDave

If you are into shooters and action, I suppose it does.
That's as simplistic as me saying 'If all you like are JRPGs and Mario games, the DS library is OK, I guess'.

The rest of your post is simply opinion I vastly disagree with. Like, I didn't even think anybody would not like the DS library, that's how ridiculously good it was, but I'm apparently mistaken. I'd rate the DS library just behind PC, SNES, PS1 and PS2.
Precisely. Different strokes for different folks. If I was thinking of 'greatest libraries', the DS wouldn't even enter my head. We're lucky to live in a world where both of our tastes are amply served.

redcrayon

You seem like you struggle with opinions. To me, the DS library was pretty mediocre. My top 3 would be Ketsui, Chinatown Wars and Nanostray. I bought less games for my DS than any other platform that gen.

You're welcome to choose your own games of the year, generation and any other period you can think of. You're welcome to disagree with Metacritic. You should remember though, your opinion has no more weight than mine.

The 360 library crushed the DS library. As did the PS3 and PSP. In my opinion, of course. Well, and Eurogamer's, judging by the 0 DS titles in this list.

Well, it's not like EG put any PSP games up either. I suspect they thought neither handheld really did anything to define the generation, but I spent more time with both than any home console. I wouldn't want to choose between the PSP or the DS for the genres I like, both have got shitloads of great stuff.
Precisely. Different strokes for different folks. If I was thinking of 'greatest libraries', the DS wouldn't even enter my head. We're lucky to live in a world where both of our tastes are amply served.

Too true. I suspect the articles broadly represent their readership too, on the off chance I talk about games with friends the ones on their list are pretty common occurrences, and mobile games get mentioned more than portable ones.

Shahed

It's all subjective, but DS and PSP have the same problem for me (ignoring the fact they are handhelds). They both have a lot of good games, but few to none absolutely amazing games with the exception of 999. Kind of like if I were to compare the PS2 and Gamecube. As an overall library PS2 was better. Had far more games around the 8-9 mark if you will. But if I was to list a so called Top 10 of the generation, the Gamecube would more than hold it's own in comparison.

DS had a lot of great games, but not many in the upper echelons.

SmokyDave

Well, it's not like EG put any PSP games up either. I suspect they thought neither handheld really did anything to define the generation, but I spent more time with both than any home console. I wouldn't want to choose between the PSP or the DS for the genres I like, both have got shitloads of great stuff.
Yeah, my phrasing was poor there, I meant more PS3 / 360. I liked the PSP library a lot, but nothing would make my top 10 games of the generation.

redcrayon

Yeah, my phrasing was poor there, I meant more PS3 / 360. I liked the PSP library a lot, but nothing would make my top 10 games of the generation.
I agree with you there- I spent hundreds of hours with the handhelds on my commute but can't remember much that made me go 'wow' in comparison to their home console cousins, just glorious timesinks by the dozen.

I kinda wanted to see the original Valkyria Chronicles on the list, I think it's one that'll really still stand up in a decades time, due to a nice combat system and art style, but it is a bit niche in comparison. EG's list is pretty much what I'd expect a poll of any major gaming website to come up with based on quality combined with broad appeal, nothing wrong with that, no matter how much I like agonising over every step in VC, X-Com or Etrian Odyssey :)

Ashes

Banned
Any "Games of the Generation" without Wii Sports is a bad list.

This game single-handedly made both Sony and Microsoft bow down. This game expanded and exploded the market in a way never seen in console gaming. Since the Wii's demise, the market has done nothing but shrink year over year. This game is the game of the generation. Period. This game, above any other example any one could come up with (with exception of one) is the definition of "killer app."

Yeah, that's why it got 90+ on Metacritic right? You might as well also suggest Kinect Adventures.

AniHawk

I thought Heavy Rain was one of the most memorable experiences I had this generation, and it probably would make it into my top 20. 87 is underrated in my eyes. Diff'rent strokes and all that.

heavy rain is like the room of video games. it's supremely entertaining for all the wrong reasons. i wouldn't say i love it, but i do find it greatly amusing, especially if you're playing with friends.

Yeah, time will definitely change things. Saints Row: The Third will finally get the recognition it deserves ;)

would be nice if the silly stuff was taken more seriously. sin & punishment, vanquish, and bayonetta were also just fucking rad action games, all hit in the same year, and all pretty much ignored. baffling i tells ya.

MYE

heavy rain is like the room of video games. it's supremely entertaining for all the wrong reasons. i wouldn't say i love it, but i do find it greatly amusing, especially if you're playing with friends.

If its anything like MGS4 I'll buy it!
That game is so retarded I can't bring myself to sell it. Its an amusing train wreck of a game I like to keep around.

AniHawk

That game is so retarded I can't bring myself to sell it. Its an amusing train wreck of a game I like to keep around.

i never played mgs4 because i legitimately enjoy the series too much and it seems it goes too far for me.

but heavy rain is that sort of game from what i've seen. so much doesn't make sense and the acting is so strange (and in some ways, endearing). it really is like watching a bad movie. the funniest part is that it did receive genuine high praise when it came out. it would be like troll 2 being recognized as a great piece of storytelling in 1991.

I would rather see a franchise originator, ala Demon's Souls on the list, rather then the spiritual successor.

Dark Souls does not exist without Demon's being made and garnering the popularity and acclaim it received.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Yeah, that's why it got 90+ on Metacritic right? You might as well also suggest Kinect Adventures.

If you can't comprehend why Wii Sports is the game of the generation and why its a perfect example of how Metacritic is sheer shit, I got nothing for you. The entire success of a console was due to this one game. No other game in history can claim that to the degree Wii Sports can.

MYE

Yeah some of the acting in HR is weird as hell.

I would rather see a franchise originator, ala Demon's Souls on the list, rather then the spiritual successor.

Dark Souls does not exist without Demon's being made and garnering the popularity and acclaim it received.

That and Demon's is a better game

I thought Heavy Rain was one of the most memorable experiences I had this generation, and it probably would make it into my top 20. 87 is underrated in my eyes. Diff'rent strokes and all that.
Played Beyond yet?

I guess it is similar. Many gamers enjoyed MGS4 genuinely and so did people with HR. But you can also enjoy them as a weird comedy depending on your personality. I'm in the group of people that genuinely enjoyed HR, but it has a lot of flaws for sure.

Anth0ny

DS has a lot of good games, but not a lot of all-time great ones, IMO. Not a lot I see myself ever going back to. Especially if you're not a huge fan of JRPGs.

Thank you.

Everyone goes nuts over that library like it's the greatest thing ever, and I have a hard time coming up with ONE truly great DS game. A ton of good games, though.

I think Pokemon Black is my favorite DS game... maybe a GOTY caliber game, but isn't even in the conversation for GOTG.

So Galaxy and Dark Souls is Eurogamer's top two games of the gen? They're my top 2 as well ^_^

I agree with you there- I spent hundreds of hours with the handhelds on my commute but can't remember much that made me go 'wow' in comparison to their home console cousins, just glorious timesinks by the dozen.

Half Minute Hero & Phoenix Wright would get onto my top ten for sure.

AniHawk

infinite space and 999 were real standouts for me this generation. the phoenix wright games were almost guilty pleasures given my tastes. i liked both mega man games and all the sonic titles. oh and the castlevania games were pretty good, but order of ecclesia was fucking rad. then there's something just bizarre and fun like soul bubbles. good stuff mang.

i have over 50 games for the ds. it was a pretty deep library. i really enjoyed the experimental stuff in the first few years. yoshi touch and go and the first lost in blue were strangely memorable.

Axass

Good list. Though, taking into consideration the importance certain games had in the industry, aside from simple preferences, I'd change the list like this:

- Portal (rethinking of puzzle games)
- (Red Dead: Redemption) -> GTAV (much bigger critical success, sets the bar for open worlds)
- Journey (frontrunner of the games as art movement)
- (Fallout 3) -> CoD 4: Modern Warfare (had a more lasting impact on gaming)
- The Last of Us (the sum of cinematic gaming)
- Street Fighter IV (brought back fighting games)
- (Spelunky) -> Braid (opened the floodgate for indies)
- World of Warcraft (the model of any MMO)
- Dark Souls (Demon's Souls? Showed how hard games are still viable and great, if done right)
- Super Mario Galaxy (pure innovation and fun)

Top Bottom