• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer's Games of the Generation

Hindle

Banned
Joy is an emotion, isn't it? And incredible level design is artistic, isn't it? Chances are still there, they pick the right game (SMG) :).

Skyward Sword, imo it's the best Zelda ever made. However, since there is only one spot left and SMG is the best game of the generation, Eurogamer obviously disagreed on that :D.

Lets hope they do.

Level design and joy doesn't seem to be the main focus of this list though.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Not to mention that 6 of the 9 are multiplatform games that they could've played anywhere (that they're available).

The only platforms that are 'missing' from this list are Nintendo platforms. Understandable given that it's 'best' games and not 'best selling' games.

He didn't want to say that it's a list full of only PS3-exclusives, just that the list seems to be biased towards PS3, since it's the only console with exclusive games for it on the list and disregarding WoW, every single game on the list is also on PS3. Moreover, I'm quite sure that it's possible to name five games that are exclusive to any console of the last generation that one could make a point for legitimately being on that list. The list as is seems to be in favour of the PS3 and in disfavour of the Wii. If you seriously think not one game available on Wii or DS could be legitimately called one of the ten best games of the last generation, that's really ignorant from my perspective.

SmokyDave

He didn't want to say that it's a list full of only PS3-exclusives, just that the list seems to be biased towards PS3, since it's the only console with exclusive games for it on the list and disregarding WoW, every single game on the list is also on PS3. Moreover, I'm quite sure that it's possible to name five games that are exclusive to any console of the last generation that one could make a point for legitimately being on that list. The list as is seems to be in favour of the PS3 and in disfavour of the Wii. If you seriously think not one game available on Wii or DS could be legitimately called one of the ten best games of the last generation, that's really ignorant from my perspective.
Take it up with Eurogamer, I didn't write the list. I'm pretty sure they have access to all the platforms though. I have no reason to cast aspersions on their selections, they obviously chose the games that mattered most to them.

GameFaqs level of garbage posting?
SmokyDave plz
Yawn. The fact is, games that make western core gamers and western game journalists moist don't tend to be on Nintendo platforms. Look at the myriad of GotY lists from the last 6 years, or keep looking at these GotG lists that will pop up over the next few months.

Dawg

How is it understandable? A game like Prime 3 is better than the majority of the games on that list and among the best FPS released this generation.

Overall this list is, unsurprisingly, pretty bad. The only games I consider good on it are Portal and Dark Souls. Journey and World of Warcraft among the best games of this generation? Sure, Eurogamer.

World of Warcraft did define an entire generation of MMO's. And back in the old days, it was an amazing game. It still is a very good game imho, I just can't get into it anymore.

I'm the only one who thinks Spec Ops:The Line is one of the most important games this generation?

The writing and the game tone were miles away of most games.

MYE

Yawn. The fact is, games that make western core gamers and western game journalists moist don't tend to be on Nintendo platforms. Look at the myriad of GotY lists from the last 6 years, or keep looking at these GotG lists that will pop up over the next few months.

Don't backtrack from that juvenile jab at Nintendo's output.
That post of yours didn't sound like you were speaking in their behalf or making any kind of observation of the scoring practices of the western reviewer ;)

I'm the only one who thinks Spec Ops:The Line is one of the most important games this generation?

The writing and the game tone were miles away of most games.

In that case Shattered Memories should take its place IMO

SmokyDave

Don't backtrack from that juvenile jab at Nintendo's output.
That post of yours didn't sound like you were speaking in their behalf or making any kind of observation of the scoring practices of the western reviewer ;)
Read it however you like, I stand by it. 360, PS3 & PC all have libraries full of games better than 99% of the stuff on the Wii & DS. That's my opinion, that seems to be the opinion of Eurogamer, and I expect to see it echoed across many GotG lists. Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 will make an appearance on most of them, but very little else. Nearly all the best stuff this gen was on PS3, PC, or 360.

Super Mario Galaxy:

Christian Donlan said:
It's the apocalypse, and you're wearing a bumblebee costume.

Well, it's an apocalypse anyway. Out here, in the bright depths of space, Mario Galaxy wants to show you the end of a universe. And - sorry to break this - it's a universe you probably know so well. 11 years after Nintendo's designers revealed the true potential of the 3D platformer with Mario 64, Tokyo EAD would essentially draw the genre to a close, taking the simple business of running and jumping to places that running and jumping had never been - and at times moving beyond them both entirely. Your expectations would never be quite the same again.

Sure, people would still release 3D platformers after this (and Nintendo would definitely release more Mario games, too), but somewhere within Galaxy and its sequel I think there's the unmistakable sense of a great idea reaching its fullest, and perhaps final, expression. Mastery is often a dead end, isn't it? Still. What a way to go.

Galaxy begins with a gentle statement of its astonishing scope. The opening sequence presents the Nintendo equivalent of a powers-of-ten shot, snatching you away from the familiar surface of the Mushroom Kingdom before dropping you high overhead on a beautiful lumpy planetoid covered with felty grass and shimmering puddles, where three bunny rabbits are waiting to lead you on a treasure hunt.

There's time to register how different this all feels - stuck to the surface of a sphere while a camera roves unmolested above you - but before long, Nintendo is moving outwards once more. Now it's unveiling the first of a million plasticky launch stars and blasting you far beyond the rabbits and the grass and the puddles and into a glittering archipelago of floating space rock, home to a handful of scattered moons. Each of these moons is as pretty, as mysterious, and as playful as the place you've already spent 10 minutes exploring. Each is yours to claim, and beyond this archipelago, dozens more await your arrival.

afoni

Banned
I hope Galaxy being Eurogamer's game of the generation pisses a lot of people off.

It's definitely top 3 for me.

Cipherr

Ill accept portal. I love it and part 2 equally. But lol @ the people with to much pride to admit P2 was just flat out harder.

"I.... I couldn't.... I couldn't find the well lit plastered wall to shoot so I could advance! This game sucks!"

Bunch of babies. People like y'all are the reason they took out twitch puzzles in the sequel. They didn't want to hear you all cry about spending 30 minutes trying to place a portal fast enough. Heck they even made placing the portal while falling easier and automated in the sequel.

Shameful stuff. Portal was fantastic, but it was far to easy. Portal 2 took the ball and ran with it by adding a tiny morsel of difficulty that you couldnt just immediately solve after 15 seconds, and people cried.

Portal hit me hard, I checked it out from gamestop and was having a blast. Was like 1 in the morning, then I found that room :(, I almost died, I didn't ask for that

AniHawk

SMG and SMG2 are basically one game in my eyes.

They're basically like the Half Life episodes.

smg 2 is way different though. the hub world is replaced by a traditional level select, there are different powers, yoshi is back after an absence in the first game (and yoshi has its own separate powers), and the green stars are accomplished in a very different manner. plus you can play as luigi very early on.

saying smg and smg2 are basically one game makes about as much sense as saying metroid prime 1 and metroid prime 2 are basically one game.

afoni

Banned
smg 2 is way different though. the hub world is replaced by a traditional level select, there are different powers, yoshi is back after an absence in the first game (and yoshi has its own separate powers), and the green stars are accomplished in a very different manner. plus you can play as luigi very early on.

saying smg and smg2 are basically one game makes about as much sense as saying metroid prime 1 and metroid prime 2 are basically one game.

Half Life episodes added new things and kept the core mechanics + engine. I think you're taking it far too literally, man.

AniHawk

Half Life episodes added new things and kept the core mechanics + engine. I think you're taking it far too literally, man.

i don't think so. sequels are sequels for a reason. smg2 changed a lot of stuff for the better. so much so that i think it should be fairly obvious for anyone who actually plays the two from the start. smg is a lot more about spectacle (which seems to be what everyone responds to). smg2 is a lot more about mechanics. smg has the story, smg2 has the gameplay.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
As I've said already the list is fine! It has Spelunky on it ffs! :)

And SMG on top is just the icing of the cake!

In my eyes the only odd choice is Journey.

I've also a nagging feeling that TLOU may have been to close to the ceremony to give a past-the-hype kind of verdict on it. We'll see.

The only platforms that are 'missing' from this list are Nintendo platforms. Understandable given that it's 'best' games and not 'best selling' games.

Someone slap this unwashed heathen :p Your Nintendo trolling is usually sublime Dave, what gives?

Kokonoe

Banned
i don't think so. sequels are sequels for a reason. smg2 changed a lot of stuff for the better. so much so that i think it should be fairly obvious for anyone who actually plays the two from the start. smg is a lot more about spectacle (which seems to be what everyone responds to). smg2 is a lot more about mechanics. smg has the story, smg2 has the gameplay.

I need to try out Galaxy 2 then because I did not like Galaxy 1.

AniHawk

Read it however you like, I stand by it. 360, PS3 & PC all have libraries full of games better than 99% of the stuff on the Wii & DS. That's my opinion, that seems to be the opinion of Eurogamer, and I expect to see it echoed across many GotG lists. Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 will make an appearance on most of them, but very little else. Nearly all the best stuff this gen was on PS3, PC, or 360.

that means nothing in an age when heavy rain gets an 87 on metacritic and something truly amazing like 999 has to slide in under the radar. people reacted strongly to video games with a heavy focus on story this generation and then they go and ignore one of the best ones.

i think there ought to be a lot of revision as time goes by. i think the last of us may stand the test of time. maybe journey will too. but the games that will wind up standing out will be the ones that won't be embarrassed by presentation efforts in future generations. burnout paradise, mirror's edge, and valkyria chronicles all come to mind. think back to the ps2 era and i think mostly everyone can agree that the once-darling ffx is actually pretty cheesy in retrospect (although it seems to have built a fanbase despite or maybe because of that).

basically what it boils down to is that i know better than all of you and everyone would be a lot happier if they enjoyed the things i do.

Yagharek

Phew, pitchforks can be put down.

Killer list. I've played all of 'em except WoW.

Pitchforks in the rack when your snarkiness subsidies.

Anyway, justified number one entry but I'm sure a case could be made for dozens of games not in their top ten. The order is somewhat irrelevant at this end of the scale.

mclem

Didn't they say this list is in no order?

No.

They said the first week was a five-way tie for sixth place, so they were presented in no order. The remainder of the list is ordered.

Thanks to a neat quirk in the voting results, numbers five to ten were tied - we'll be bringing you each of them in no particular order this week, with a rundown of the final five starting next Monday.

(Actually, on rereading, there's a mistake there. Either it was a six-way tie from five to ten, or it was a five-way tie from six to ten)

Good list. Good variety of titles.

The one title I'm missing is the PC version of Team Fortress 2. It started with showing how you do an early access title, and it showed how to do functional graphics. And later on it grew to show what iterative development of a title really can do, added innovative game modes to online shooters, and did F2P in a customer friendly way.

For me, that title has really been one of the greatest titles of this generation.

Shadoken

Glad to see SF4 on the list. It made a pretty big impact this gen , especially for people who used to play fighters.

Vitor711

How is it understandable? A game like Prime 3 is better than the majority of the games on that list and among the best FPS released this generation.

Overall this list is, unsurprisingly, pretty bad. The only games I consider good on it are Portal and Dark Souls. Journey and World of Warcraft among the best games of this generation? Sure, Eurogamer.

You're gonna have a pretty damned difficult time arguing against WoW being on that - best of luck to you.

Unless your point is that it shouldn't be part of the last generation, you really can't deny that a game that influential, successful and well made shouldn't be on there.

Journey is more a matter of personal taste but I'd still wager than your views against it are in the minority.

EDIT: The lack of OG Bioshock does throw me a little though as I'll happily take that over almost any other game on the list.

pinny

Banned
I forgot for a moment the list isn't supposed to show the best games, but the games that "defined the generation". But if that is the case, how could they have forgotten about CoD 4?

Wait, so Journey isn't good? The Last of US isn't good? What!?
I have never played world of warcraft, nor have I ever wanted to, but the way it changed the MMO scene justifies its place.

pinny

Banned
Journey is terrible. I've only watched someone else play the first two hours of The Last of Us, but it looked pretty boring.

And yeah, WoW changed MMOs, only for the worse.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This is the trendiest-hipster gamer list I have ever seen. The games on it are certainly worthy, but a games of the generation list without UC2, Bioshock, ME2 and maybe Arkham Asylum cant be taken seriously by me

SmokyDave

that means nothing in an age when heavy rain gets an 87 on metacritic and something truly amazing like 999 has to slide in under the radar. people reacted strongly to video games with a heavy focus on story this generation and then they go and ignore one of the best ones.
I thought Heavy Rain was one of the most memorable experiences I had this generation, and it probably would make it into my top 20. 87 is underrated in my eyes. Diff'rent strokes and all that.

i think there ought to be a lot of revision as time goes by. i think the last of us may stand the test of time. maybe journey will too. but the games that will wind up standing out will be the ones that won't be embarrassed by presentation efforts in future generations. burnout paradise, mirror's edge, and valkyria chronicles all come to mind. think back to the ps2 era and i think mostly everyone can agree that the once-darling ffx is actually pretty cheesy in retrospect (although it seems to have built a fanbase despite or maybe because of that).

basically what it boils down to is that i know better than all of you and everyone would be a lot happier if they enjoyed the things i do.
Yeah, time will definitely change things. Saints Row: The Third will finally get the recognition it deserves ;)

Empty

good list. though i'd chuck out red dead and fallout.

i think smg2 is the more refined game but the original had more impact. the novel side of space theme in both visuals and what it allowed for level design was so impressive in 2007.

Read it however you like, I stand by it. 360, PS3 & PC all have libraries full of games better than 99% of the stuff on the Wii & DS.

Sorry, but WHAT? The DS has one of the unarguably best libraries in video game history. What exactly makes you say that 99% of the stuff on PS360 is better than that? Seems fucking ridiculous honestly, despite being an opinion. TWEWY and 999 were my GotYs 2008 and 2010 ahead of any 95% Metacritic blockbuster for the big consoles.

edit: Or fucking Order of Ecclesia. It was released fairly close to Shadow Complex and got a worse Metacritic despite taking a HUGE FUCKING DUMP on every single aspect Shadow Complex was praised for. I was flabbergastet as to how ignorant reviewers were and how apparently getting released on a major console with some hype will automatically net you a huge Metascore. What the fuck was up with that?

edit²: Have a brief look at this pretty decent list (order of the game is irrelevant and I disagree with it but the games mentioned are fantastic):

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/402812/best-nintendo-ds-games-9-years-50-must-own-games/

Now tell me with a straight face that the Xbox 360 had a better library than that. Unless you are very into shooting people in the face (that's what the 360 was for primarily), I can't see how one would discredit the DS's gaming portfolio.

pinny

Banned
The DS library is extremely overrated. There are only a handful of great games and a lot of mediocre ones, like the majority of the games on that Top 50 list.

DS has a lot of good games, but not a lot of all-time great ones, IMO. Not a lot I see myself ever going back to. Especially if you're not a huge fan of JRPGs.

DS has a lot of good games, but not a lot of all-time great ones, IMO. Not a lot I see myself ever going back to. Especially if you're not a huge fan of JRPGs.

I'm not a huge fan of action or shooter games which is why Dark Souls and New Vegas are basically the only ATG games on 360 for me (even though I played them on PC). That's hugely dependent on taste and simply assuming that being fond of action games is more valid than having a hard on for japanese gaming culture, is a little ignorant. TWEWY, OoE and 999 were fucking breathtaking. Not a single 360 exclusive was even remotely as good as either in my humble opinion.

And think about Pheonix Wright, Prof Layton, Pokemon, Mario kart DS, Dawn of Sorrow, Advance Wars, Dragon Quest 9, Mario and Luigi, Animal Crossing, Golden Sun, Ghost Trick, Fire Emblem, NSMB, Hotel Dusk, Okamiden and so forth. I'm getting a freaking boner listing these games.

SmokyDave

Sorry, but WHAT? The DS has one of the unarguably best libraries in video game history. What exactly makes you say that 99% of the stuff on PS360 is better than that? Seems fucking ridiculous honestly, despite being an opinion. TWEWY and 999 were my GotYs 2008 and 2010 ahead of any 95% Metacritic blockbuster for the big consoles.

*snipped rant*
You seem like you struggle with opinions. To me, the DS library was pretty mediocre. My top 3 would be Ketsui, Chinatown Wars and Nanostray. I bought less games for my DS than any other platform that gen.

You're welcome to choose your own games of the year, generation and any other period you can think of. You're welcome to disagree with Metacritic. You should remember though, your opinion has no more weight than mine.

Imp the Dimp said:
Now tell me with a straight face that the Xbox 360 had a better library than that. Unless you are very into shooting people in the face (that's what the 360 was for primarily), I can't see how one would discredit the DS's gaming portfolio.
The 360 library crushed the DS library. As did the PS3 and PSP. In my opinion, of course. Well, and Eurogamer's, judging by the 0 DS titles in this list.

Top Bottom