• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of don't trust anyone

Who will win the next game?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A strange thing happened to me in my Novgorod single player campaign. In the three restarts it required to get things right, Poland refused the Lithuanian union in two of them, including the one that finally succeeded. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Sweden and Lithuania have me surrounded, and although Sweden is friendly, I can imagine things going sour.

Generally, if you have a border with someone, they tend to hate your guts eventually.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Russia desiring all the Commonwealth's lands is perfectly rational compared to some of the past nonsense, like this:
abSBPWO.jpg

Kabouter

Ratings for the past game, rounded to two decimals.
1. Mgoblue201 - 4.9
2. Roboleon - 4
3. Spirited - 3.96
4. Morfeo - 3.42
5. Red Arremer - 3.21
6. Stefan - 3
7. Uzzy - 2.5
8. KingSnake - 1.58
9. fanboi - 1.43
10. FACE - 0.92

Average over the past three games people played (so actually play badly if you want your rating to go down :p), including people who didn't participate. Might be some minor difference even if you didn't play because I averaged the complete ratings rather than rounded ratings, but nothing earth-shattering.
1. Jazz - 4.92
2. Mgoblue201 - 4.76
3. crab - 4.31
4. Kabouter - 4.31
5. Fitz - 4.30
6. Spirited - 3.96
7. Steeven - 3.88
8. Toma - 3.76
9. Roboleon - 3.63
10. haly - 3.47
11. Gamma - 3.19
12. Morfeo - 3.18
13. Stefan - 3.10
14. fanboi - 3.06
15. ZZMItch - 2.96
16. Jwitjes - 2.92
17. Uzzy - 2.82
18. Red Arremer - 2.75
19. Mleugie - 2.50
20. KingSnake - 2.45
21. Valhelm - 2.23
22. FACE - 1.35
23. RickDeckerSpiegel - 1.28

Now as far as re-rating countries goes, there are two factors to consider here:
A. crab was right that too many countries are locked from major players, it makes it really annoying when you can only pick from garbage nations where you need to either be lucky or be mgo to succeed.
B. The add-on changes to diplomacy have made succeeding as a tiny minor much harder than it was previously, you do not earn favours quickly, and major allies will get mad if they aren't rewarded proportional to their war effort.

I propose that in re-rating countries, we make it so that something like Holland (currently #32 in the sheet) is the worst country that can't be picked by all.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm okay with being lower than all those tryhards.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Looks good.
I'll get to have some fun next game.

Might have to buy the dlc so that I can test stuff out before :/ (my wallet is already RIP after Christmas shopping and later today winter sale)

EDIT: Found it with 25% off :D

Oh, I was also thinking about that (Me playing there not you playing there :p)
I think you could get a pretty good country there with the new ratings.

(Like Delhi or Vijay)

I'm not sure which one yet, it depends on the ratings the countries are gonna get. But I'm definitely not going to take a path of much resistance this time. So if I do play in India, expect me to pick one of the top dogs.

I do like that we both seem to have similar notions of playing countries, btw. I too was considering playing Japan for the past session, and both of us had put forward the notion of HRE minors earlier in the thread. :p

2.5? Oh you guys.

I'm gonna pick France then.

I rated you higher than that. Don't blame me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I guess it's fair, AI doesn't drop out of the game because their internet connection.

I hope the country ratings are changing, because there is practically no difference between 2.79 and 2.45, unless FACE decides to not pick Burgundy.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Thank you, I would love to play as The Ottomans in the next game.

No problem, I would love to see that swahili ottoman myself!

That's right, the AI knows that taking multiple HRE provinces without claims in one war tends to lead to a bit of upset in Europe.

This is what Im talking about. 1-rating skills right here.

Oh come off it lol

Scale is basically: 5 is incredibly good, 4 is much better than AI, 3 better than AI, 2 same as AI, 1 worse than AI

Seems majority agreed with you and gave me an irrational high rating, no ottos for me this time either :(

Irrational Numbers > Rational Numbers

That's right Morfeo, you get a φ rating.

3.16? Would have loved it if that was right, but I was unfortunately heavily overrated for how I crashed and burned at Savoy:

1. Mgoblue201 - 4.9
2. Roboleon - 4
3. Spirited - 3.96
4. Morfeo - 3.42
5. Red Arremer - 3.21
6. Stefan - 3
7. Uzzy - 2.5
8. KingSnake - 1.58
9. fanboi - 1.43
10. FACE - 0.92

I think I'm gonna play in India next session.

With my rating, it seems like I will have to join you, which should make for a great repeat of our splendid late-game alliance from this game. Looking forward to it!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Uzzy and Red Arremer are much better than their ratings

Haven't really watched RA in action. Not sure about Uzzy's country management in general, but his army handling in combat is very good.

I honestly think both Red Arremer and Spirited are better players then me, and at least one of them are rated accordingly because of averages. Uzzy is at least on par, if not better. Same with Morfeo. I probably play a bit safer then RA and Uzzy though.

Uzzy

It's true, I shall show how terrible I am at country management by falling to rebels in 1750 after taking out 50 loans as France.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's true, I shall show how terrible I am at country management by falling to rebels in 1750 after taking out 50 loans as France.

Haha. I only meant that I haven't really observed it. You were also lagging a bit behind in tech/ideas compared to other euros, but that doesn't really tell much given how fucked you got repeatedly in the early/middle game.

I think not allying Austria from the start, and not focusing on expanding westwards was a big strategical blunder to be quite honest.

I also remember when you were severely behind in mil tech as Venice. Sadly I didn't get to witness too much of your Pasai :p
<3

Uzzy

Maybe. But I do feel that my plan was sound and it had worked a thousand times before. The standard BB opening is to ally Poland and beat on the Teutonic Order, expanding eastwards that way. But in my first war, the Teutons called in Bohemia and thanks to terrible AI work from Poland, I ended up having to peace out with Bohemia by ending the alliance with Poland. That was a mistake, though as Poland peaced out a month after, probably necessary.

Losing the alliance with Poland meant that they were free to launch their own wars with the Teutons later, and they got stomped all over. Twice. So I was left with a very strong Teutonic Order, allied with Bohemia and The Hansa, just sitting on my borders and routinely taking chunks out of me. That's where I went wrong, letting Poland launch their own wars and inevitably losing them.

Later on when I finally took down the Teutons, I had Sweden and Lithuania on my eastern border in a PU, as you know! That was a rather hard stop on my advance, especially as they were trusted allies. If the game was to continue in the new year, I'd probably have turned on them when you guys were launching an attack against them, but I rather fancied some PvP and I had thought Morfeo would join my side.

Expanding westwards might have a been an option, but originally I had a deal with Red to not go past the Lubeck trade node. By the time that wasn't an issue, the nations there were good allies and electors, so conquering them wouldn't have helped my HRE ambitions.

Morfeo

Later on when I finally took down the Teutons, I had Sweden and Lithuania on my eastern border in a PU, as you know! That was a rather hard stop on my advance, especially as they were trusted allies. If the game was to continue in the new year, I'd probably have turned on them when you guys were launching an attack against them, but I rather fancied some PvP and I had thought Morfeo would join my side.

Yeah, I honestly got so surprised by your sudden animosity towards me in the Balkans, that I just didnt trust you enough for it. And I had also already gotten a sweet deal with Robo, so there is also that.

Seriously, I will just say that I agree that both Red Arremer and Uzzy did very well this round, and both got partially fucked by things beyond their control. And after witnessing first hand Uzzy moving those troops, I know that he is indeed a great player, and definitely better than 2.5. Should probably be ranked higher than me at least.

smjanssen

1. Mgoblue201 - 4.9
2. Roboleon - 4
3. Spirited - 3.96
4. Morfeo - 3.42
5. Red Arremer - 3.21
6. Stefan - 3
7. Uzzy - 2.5
8. KingSnake - 1.58
9. fanboi - 1.43
10. FACE - 0.92

MGO is still rated almost an entire point higher than Spirited and Robo with those crazy big empires???

That's like the same difference between 'Crash&Burn' Fanboi and Uzzy, wehere Fanboi couldn't drop that much lower

And people actually rated Face below 1? Isn't that the lowest score we were using?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
And people actually rated Face below 1? Isn't that the lowest score we were using?

Sometimes drastic measures are necessary.
Though I didn't vote him 0

If he gets less than 0,5 he should be able to play all the banned countries, haha.

Uzzy

Honestly, I'm totally fine with my rating. Going by the most recent nations rating table, that'd give me access to Lithuania (with it's terrible starting development level of 346, more than France) or the totally not overpowered Sweden. Forget Space Marines, I want Viking Space Marines. I will dare to Zlatan.

*Sabaton intensifies*

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm testing out Lübeck with the new patch and it's not really harder than it used to be.
Only difference is you have to ally countries that is about the same size as you and join in offensive wars and you're going to be fine.
So I might just go for HRE minor for the next campaign.

Took all this by 1459

EDIT: Nope, 1460 and Ausria declared imperial liberation war.
EDIT2: LMAO they're demanding full annexation and they don't even want my stuff according to diploview.
EDIT3: and down the drain it went. I should stop being so cocky.

CloudWolf

Merry Christmas, I hope I don't instantly die in the new session since my only real experience with the new DLC/patch is playing a stupidly overpowered custom nation.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm testing out Lübeck with the new patch and it's not really harder than it used to be.
Only difference is you have to ally countries that is about the same size as you and join in offensive wars and you're going to be fine.
So I might just go for HRE minor for the next campaign.

Took all this by 1459

EDIT: Nope, 1460 and Ausria declared imperial liberation war.
EDIT2: LMAO they're demanding full annexation and they don't even want my stuff according to diploview.
EDIT3: and down the drain it went. I should stop being so cocky.

Git rekt or die trying

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Morfeo

Why do you always have to be near me. :(

Hey, I was just thinking it could be a good opportunity to continue our great cooperation from the last few games!

Anyways, hope everybody have a nice holiday, looking forward to new round in january!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom