• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Monthly Charts November 2023 | PS5 #1 +376% YOY, Switch #2 -35% YOY and Xbox series S/X #3 -26% YOY

Alex Scott

What are these numbers based on? Where are they coming from?
From IB user enpleinjour

I just can't believe those Xbox numbers.
These are the equations I used:

x + y + z = 690
0.65x + 4.76y + 0.74z = 1300
x >= 2y

x = NSW
y = PS5
z = XBS
They also use this information from gameindustry.biz:
NSW sold more then double the sales of PS5.

November 2022

"Across tracked European markets, 690,000 games consoles were sold in November, according to GSD. It's a drop of more than 21% over the year before.

Nevertheless, Switch was comfortably the No.1 selling console across Europe, with more than double the sales of second place: Sony's PlayStation 5.

Both PS5 (up 49%) and Xbox Series S and X (up 22%) had a bigger November this year than the year before."

Last edited:
Actually that’s a good point. If $350 holds for XSX then maybe? Strangely enough XSS isn’t really being discounted all that much in US.

IMG-6206.jpg

onQ123

gokurho

If sales don’t matter, why are they massively dropping the prices of both consoles trying to win December genius?
why have they not been trying till now though, it does seem odd. Literally zero xbox marketing for the past 2 years at least in UK and Europe. Only in the last month have adverts started to appear even then its not like they are all over the place like PS5 adverts which I see every day driving to work or taking a train.

twilo99

Thos Xbox numbers though...now that's a different story. Not even being given away almost for free is making people buy it. Incredible.

I guess $350 is almost free and unfortunately that’s nowhere near as free in Europe anyway where for whatever reason they haven’t done such heavy discounts.

I do agree that even then it won’t make much difference to the euro market..

Unknown?

why have they not been trying till now though, it does seem odd. Literally zero xbox marketing for the past 2 years at least in UK and Europe. Only in the last month have adverts started to appear even then its not like they are all over the place like PS5 adverts which I see every day driving to work or taking a train.
Because they used to be able to spin numbers. They are now so bad that spinning would no longer be a half truth but a full on lie.

I guess $350 is almost free and unfortunately that’s nowhere near as free in Europe anyway where for whatever reason they haven’t done such heavy discounts.

Won't make a difference in the US either. December will be just as bad on Circana. Most gifts have been bought already. Had they cit the price at the end of November or very least beginning of the month, it may have stopped the bleeding

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
it's going to be fun to see how the xbox podcasters "report" this news.
"Xbox Outsells PlayStation in Europe During Black Friday 2023"

According to GFK data, shared by Chris Dring of gamesindustry.biz, Xbox Series X|S console comfortably outsold the popular PlayStation 4 during this year's Black Friday. Chris Dring did not share PS4 sales data. Other consoles included in the data were Nintendo Switch Online and PlayStation 5.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
"Xbox Outsells PlayStation in Europe During Black Friday 2023"

According to GFK data, shared by Chris Dring of gamesindustry.biz, Xbox Series X|S console comfortably outsold the popular PlayStation 4 during this year's Black Friday. Chris Dring did not share PS4 sales data. Other consoles included in the data were Nintendo Switch Online and PlayStation 5.
Wait, that was really a paragraph they typed?

🤣

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
it's going to be fun to see how the xbox podcasters "report" this news.

"Xbox doesn't need Europe."

"Xbox gaming is much bigger than just consoles. "

"Things will change when the software flood gates open next year"

"The PS5 sales number are fake, Sony is sitting on 20 million unsold PS5s and is in deep financial trouble."

"Consoles? The future is the cloud, old man!"

"Once people realize the value of Gamepass, PS is dead."

Last edited:

I'm from Europe and I paid €400 (20% VAT included) for my SX just last week. If we remove the sales tax we get €333 which converts to $365. Not sure if MS can sell the Series X lower than that; they'll be losing a considerable amount of $ per each unit sold.

ArcaneNLSC

I mean, all their poker cards of the year are on the table and it’s been an unmitigated problem: the Forza Motorsport + Starfield combo of implosions not only did not drive hardware sales it it looks like it stalled them.
Any more stalled and it would be like this

cars reverse GIF by Top Gear

"The PS5 sales number are fake, Sony is sitting on 20 million unsold PS5 and is in deep financial trouble."

well, i only listen to two xbox podcast (Xbox Two and Defining Duke)

in the last 3 weeks or so, it feels like something broke inside them. They have a hard time acknowledging how bad the xbox situation is but still have hope for the future, all this talk about going third party really is messing up with them. Probably they will not even really talk about these numbers anyway, they will report and say: "Wait until CoD" and move on to another topic.

Woopah

Mario showing insanely good legs, and I think that's pretty good/great performance from Spiderman, Assasin's Creed and Football Manager too.

Switch on the way out and PlayStation left carrying the industry on its shoulders. Time for Nintendo to announce switch 2 and help a brother.

Agreed. Sony has done their part for the industry, Nintnedo need to cut the Switch price in ealry 2024 to stem the delcine, and then launch Switch 2 before the holidays.

Pelta88

"The PS5 sales number are fake, Sony is sitting on 20 million unsold PS5s and is in deep financial trouble."

You forgot about "The tools."

demigod

Pretty sure i’ve seen their fanboys typed all of this on twitter.

With October and November data now released this is what i'm predicting for Global shipments in Q3. NSW and XBS will be down in all region and PS5 will be down in the U.S but massively up in Europe and moderately up in Japan.

Oct - Dec 2022
NSW -
8.22M
PS5 - 7.10M
XBS - 3.50M

Oct - Dec 2023 prediction
PS5 -
9.90M
NSW - 6.15M
XBS - 3.30M

Last edited:

NickFire

The MS numbers have gotten ridiculously bad. But sure, why not, just keep spending the Office money and carrying on with business as usual so the failed leadership can reap praise from evangelicals and media that want to sell ads.

Or do the sensible thing and pivot. Replace leadership with people that celebrate success by return on investment instead of vapor metrics that shift whenever something flops. Stop trying to buy success and focus on creating successful gaming endeavors instead.

Top Bottom