• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Super League (Football/Soccer)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I worry who might buy them. The Glazers are shit. But someone like the Saudi royal family would be much worse. I don't want them ending up like City or PSG.

I would rather just sell the shares for the public, until they reach 51% then sell it to whatever who wanna "invest" not "own".

Bo_Hazem

Banned

It's happening!

EPYKXZeXUAULG6s.jpg

DKehoe

Oooh, you meant like that! Of course, you're absolutely right.

I was so focused on the sporting aspect of it that I didn't stop for a second to think about, well, who they would be as people.
Yeh, I'm sure the Saudis or whoever owning it would lead to United winning more trophies and becoming an absolute monster on the pitch. But becoming that kind of PR exercise for human rights abusers is not worth the trade off.

Jon Neu

Banned
First you suggested this idea, which is dumb and impractical

Your arguments against it are dumb, the idea works perfectly fine in other sports, but FIFA and UEFA are monolithic bureacrauts who take decades to change anything and seems some alleged football fans are as closed minded as them.

and now anyone who has a problem with increase in diving (aka cheating btw) is incoherent?

I have a problem with incoherent arguments, yes.

Your irrational fear of players diving because of such rule it's incoherent with the already established rules of this sport that already let players dive as much as they want.

Also, I prefer to potentiate a more fluid and attacking game over the irrational and way out of proportion fears of some people over players diving, like if that was the most important thing that happens in the field and the core of how the game should be molded around. It's ridiculous.

I prefer to mold the game around a more offensive & less defensive mindset, while others just want to bitch about players diving and do nothing. At this point, it's just virtue signalling.

I'm guessing you're not much of a football fan.

Seems to me you are the one who isn't much of a football fan, as everything you care is your virtue signalling players diving but you don't care one bit about the quality of the game.

You know what's worse than players diving? Players making constant fouls to stop attacking plays and draggin the game to a super slow boring rhythm in which there are very few attacking plays. That's cheating too and players take advantage of it to make the game insufferable.

VAR on each contentious foul will not go down well.

Already explained that's not how it will work.

VAR already is used in limited scenarios and the referee is still the one calling the fouls.

dcmk7

Banned
Your irrational fear of players diving because of such rule it's incoherent with the already established rules of this sport that already let players dive as much as they want.
Actually no, they aren't allowed to dive. It's a yellow card offence called 'simulation' and is basically cheating.

Since you clearly don't even know that, which are basic rules of the game afterall, It helps explain to me why your new proposed rules are nonsensical.

Jon Neu

Banned
Actually no, they aren't allowed to dive. It's a yellow card offence called 'simulation' and is basically cheating.

That's only in the penalty area, genius. And most of the time the yellow card is given only if the player diving protests for a penalty call, because there's plenty of times in which a player dives in the area and inmediately goes up and there's no yellow card.

And that's why I told you that according to your silly fearful logic, we should ban penalties or yellow and red cards.

Well, having read Perez's shit about shorten games I come to one conclusion.

This guy is insane.

Most games don't even even reach 60 minutes of real gameplay because there's so many interrumptions and teams losing time in every play.

If you make a 60 minutes game, you will have like 35/40 minutes of actual playing, at best.

The best 48 hours I've enjoyed in a while.

This shit was so cash.

But to be fair to those saying this was a power play to force UEFA to make changes, this was a dumb idea irregardless due to the timing.

And with barely any real explanation to their plans after announcing, allowing fans, players, coaches, and pundits alike to react swiftly and negatively - this was doomed to fail.

I for one enjoyed the living hell out of this drama.

Jon Neu

Banned
By the way, if the Super League doesn't come to fruition, what's the investor JP Morgan going to do? I mean, it's probably going to sue the hell out of every club.

Seems Barça put a clause on the contract about joining the Super League only if the members in the assembly approved it, so that's their easy legal way out of this.

But the rest?

By the way, if the Super League doesn't come to fruition, what's the investor JP Morgan going to do? I mean, it's probably going to sue the hell out of every club.

Seems Barça put a clause on the contract about joining the Super League only if the members in the assembly approved it, so that's their easy legal way out of this.

But the rest?
As a Real Madrid fan since 2000, I couldn't care less. Sue Perez ass to the moon. In my opinion we could start from scratch to be honest. Even bigger joke after this whole fiasco they will proudly wear 13 UCL badges like nothing happened.

dcmk7

Banned
That's only in the penalty area, genius. And most of the time the yellow card is given only if the player diving protests for a penalty call, because there's plenty of times in which a player dives in the area and inmediately goes up and there's no yellow card.

And that's why I told you that according to your silly fearful logic, we should ban penalties or yellow and red cards.

Most games don't even even reach 60 minutes of real gameplay because there's so many interrumptions and teams losing time in every play.

If you make a 60 minutes game, you will have like 35/40 minutes of actual playing, at best.

Diving is a foul no matter where it is... It mainly happens in the penalty box as that's where it's most rewarding. It's also effective as a time wasting tactic.

I'm glad that you finally recognise it for cheating though. It's a shame you're not bothered about it but would rather remove tackling out of the game.

Encouraging players to dive all around the pitch.. that is going to encourage fluid play? It doesn't do that. Not to mention the increase usuage of VAR, since innocuous fouls become far more significant to the play.. and guess what, the resulting delay of action when reviewing these incident, actually slows down play. Not makes it more fluid.

You say there won't be an increase in VAR. But there would be, there would have to be. Since a stupid rule is in place that rewards a team a major, major advantage in a game.

So it will actually slow it down, would encourage more cheating and make it more complicated for everyone to follow.. some feat that. Do you have anymore bright ideas, genius?

dcmk7

Banned

But the rest?
For a team so poorly run like Barcelona. That's actually surprisingly smart of them.

Well actually... that's part of the problem. International fans typically pick up the strongest teams with the best players. Because they have no ties to a city, they have no family members that made them fan of a team. They buy their kits, watch their games and so on and so forth. Fast forward 25 years and you have the situation we have now in top european leagues: Global superclubs stomping smaller teams with local fanbases week in and week out.

The Superleague is nothing but a symptom. The disparity in european football brought by the globalization of the sport is the problem. This is a problem american sports don't have due to salary caps. Small market teams like San Antonio Spurs can beat the Lakers thanks to good front office management. And big teams like the Knicks are not guaranteed sucess due to the salary cap.

I think its impossible to solve, you can't restrict access to the international fans. But you can at least circumvent the issue by going back on the Bosman rulling. That way, global teams won't be able to get all talent, at most they will get the best players in their country. There will be a gap, but not as pronounced.

With a more egalitarian league, international fanbases should be more distributed across teams on the long run.

I 100% agree with your post. Though it can be said that well-managed teams were able to attract more deep-pocketed owners which in turn would buy better/expensive players... rince/repeat. Virtuous cycle...

The irony in all of this is that the EPL is substantially more egalitarian than other European leagues as the revenue sharing is mostly even with minimal performance-based bonuses.

The dream is that if the Class of 92 along with other United legends can form a company to acquire the club that would be financed by a bank, of course.

6e6d8591a7b5c5fc0a2a093c7990cf37.jpg

Depends how deep-pocketed these guys are. But leveraging up a football team is very dangerous. Case in point, the Chinese ex-owners of AC Milan.

Right now, ManUtd is probably worth about $3bn or even more, after accounting for control premium, meaning that they will probably need $2bn of equity at the very least.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Depends how deep-pocketed these guys are. But leveraging up a football team is very dangerous. Case in point, the Chinese ex-owners of AC Milan.

Right now, ManUtd is probably worth about $3bn or even more, after accounting for control premium, meaning that they will probably need $2bn of equity at the very least.

I think there are some British guys who would buy it at least instead of relying on foreign investors, so to can have that guy hole like 30% and they own the rest. Not a businessman myself but dreams are for free :)

Porcile

Why not just have a knock out competition that's the league champion and the cup winner from each country, plus the Champions League + Europa League winners?

Agreed that the ESL is a dumb idea but football is so boring now.

Majukun

and now it's official for liverpool and arsenal as well.

cue the :wearesorrysouthpark.gif:

shame that the rest of the leagues will not have the balls to punish those teams...but it's probably better to stay political and just let it go.

Jon Neu

Banned
Diving is a foul no matter where it is...

No, it's not.

When a player dives outside the area, the referee simply doesn't give the call and the game continues.

I mean, have you even watched any game ever?

It's also effective as a time wasting tactic.

That's not diving, that's pretending to be injured. Most players nowadays don't even need to dive to pretend they are injured, they simply act like they are when they want to break the rhythm of the attacking team and waste time. PSG for example was doing that in the second half against Bayern the other day.

Games having a real playing time of 55 minutes it's a disgrace. I'm completely in favour of not letting that happen, but I don't know which rules could be implemented to prevent it. Maybe do like the NBA and stop the clock every time the ball isn't in movement and also limit the number of fouls a team can make before being punished for it, just like the NBA too.

Encouraging players to dive all around the pitch.. that is going to encourage fluid play?

Players already dive all around the pitch free of consequences (except in the penalty area), but your weird obsession with players diving as if it's super important to the game it's astonishing.

And yes, a game in which you can't make 24 fouls because you are going to get heavily punished for it, makes the game far more fluid and attacking minded than letting the rival team foul every promising attack to stop and drag the game through the mud all the time.

Players nowadays view fouling as something almost free of consequences if you know how to do it. How many players can do 3, 4 or 5 fouls and no receive not even a yellow card because the fouls were not that apparent? And if a player receives a yellow card, the team still has 10 players more to commit fouls all the time.

Make a foul, take the ball with you or shoot it away to prevent the other team from playing the ball and go complain to the referee about the foul to lose even more time. You can see that behaviour all the time in every game and it completely destroys the game itself.

That's cheating too, you're literally using force to preventing the playing of the game itself.

Not to mention the increase usuage of VAR, since innocuous fouls become far more significant to the play..

Again, the referee would be the one calling the fouls, not VAR. No stopping time added, a lot of fluidity and time earned through the teams not being able to foul everybody all the time. Players will know that fouling (aka cheating), have severe consequences so they will refrain to do it so often and more creative plays and spaces will be made inside the pitch.

Since a stupid rule is in place that rewards a team a major, major advantage in a game.

Hahahaha, what?

So that's why the rule hurts you so much? Because you don't want attacking teams to be rewarded over fouling prone teams?

You could have say that from the beginning, at least you wouldn't have sounded half as ignorant.

No, it's not.

When a player dives outside the area, the referee simply doesn't give the call and the game continues.

I mean, have you even watched any game ever?

That's not diving, that's pretending to be injured. Most players nowadays don't even need to dive to pretend they are injured, they simply act like they are when they want to break the rhythm of the attacking team and waste time. PSG for example was doing that in the second half against Bayern the other day.

Games having a real playing time of 55 minutes it's a disgrace. I'm completely in favour of not letting that happen, but I don't know which rules could be implemented to prevent it. Maybe do like the NBA and stop the clock every time the ball isn't in movement and also limit the number of fouls a team can make before being punished for it, just like the NBA too.

Players already dive all around the pitch free of consequences (except in the penalty area), but your weird obsession with players diving as if it's super important to the game it's astonishing.

And yes, a game in which you can't make 24 fouls because you are going to get heavily punished for it, makes the game far more fluid and attacking minded than letting the rival team foul every promising attack to stop and drag the game through the mud all the time.

Players nowadays view fouling as something almost free of consequences if you know how to do it. How many players can do 3, 4 or 5 fouls and no receive not even a yellow card because the fouls were not that apparent? And if a player receives a yellow card, the team still has 10 players more to commit fouls all the time.

Make a foul, take the ball with you or shoot it away to prevent the other team from playing the ball and go complain to the referee about the foul to lose even more time. You can see that behaviour all the time in every game and it completely destroys the game itself.

That's cheating too, you're literally using force to preventing the playing of the game itself.

Again, the referee would be the one calling the fouls, not VAR. No stopping time added, a lot of fluidity and time earned through the teams not being able to foul everybody all the time. Players will know that fouling (aka cheating), have severe consequences so they will refrain to do it so often and more creative plays and spaces will be made inside the pitch.

Hahahaha, what?

So that's why the rule hurts you so much? Because you don't want attacking teams to be rewarded over fouling prone teams?

You could have say that from the beginning, at least you wouldn't have sounded half as ignorant.
OK but awarding a penalty after X number of fouls is still a pretty dumb idea.

Especially when you consider teams like Barcelona who are VERY fond of simulation and play acting to get fouls etc.

I agree that fouling to break up play is cynical but this is why we have yellow and red cards. Maybe some reform is needed in how refs give out those cards. OK.

Shouldnt this really be something for another thread?

Diving is a foul no matter where it is... It mainly happens in the penalty box as that's where it's most rewarding. It's also effective as a time wasting tactic.

I'm glad that you finally recognise it for cheating though. It's a shame you're not bothered about it but would rather remove tackling out of the game.

Encouraging players to dive all around the pitch.. that is going to encourage fluid play? It doesn't do that. Not to mention the increase usuage of VAR, since innocuous fouls become far more significant to the play.. and guess what, the resulting delay of action when reviewing these incident, actually slows down play. Not makes it more fluid.

You say there won't be an increase in VAR. But there would be, there would have to be. Since a stupid rule is in place that rewards a team a major, major advantage in a game.

So it will actually slow it down, would encourage more cheating and make it more complicated for everyone to follow.. some feat that. Do you have anymore bright ideas, genius?
It would change the entire nature of the game.

Youd need some kind of counter beside the stadium clock (and on the TV broadcast) tallying up the fouls so we'd know when a penalty is due.

Tackling would possibly dissappear from the game as you couldn't really afford to risk fouls.

Tactics would then alter across the board to accommodate this. Like you could just try to draw the opponent into fouls to get penalties. Why try loads of crosses into the box etc when 10 fouls against you guarantees a penalty kick. The game would end up revolving around this concept.

Imagine the first 15 minutes of a derby game where both sides are refusing to go in and challenge for the ball.

Totally off topic here. :)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
North American sports fans will never accept soccer due to diving. Or as football fans call "simulation". It's diving.

Frowned upon in big time in pro sports in NA. Refs give penalties and players even get fined. Weekly replays of the week will even show fakers as it's laughed at.

In soccer "it's part of the game". The only sport I can think of where players, refs, fans and coaches all accept diving as a good part of the game.

I don't watch soccer aside from World Cup, and whatever MLS or Premier game is on Sportsnet or TSN at random times, but out of all the soccer matches I've seen, I have seen only once a ref giving a yellow card for diving. Once. I couldnt believe I saw it. I didnt even think refs could do this, but it looks like they can if they really wanted to.

If soccer refs gave out more penalties, you'd get less diving and more integrity into the sport.

I don't follow rugby, but when I see it on TV, it's the total opposite of soccer. Tough as nails guys and I've never seen a guy fake a foul or lie on the ground hurt hoping to kill time or try to get a penalty call out of refs. Totally different mentality of sportsmanship.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
OK but awarding a penalty after X number of fouls is still a pretty dumb idea.

It's literally the same principle as giving a yellow and a red card. You cheat, you receive a punishment.

Except players have learned how to cheat the red card punishment and can keep away with fouling and destroying the game without repercussions all the time. You want to prevent players from fouling too much? Make every foul count, not just an irrelevant statistic.

And by the way, a foul is much worse than someone diving, because someone diving doesn't stop the game from being played, but a foul is by definition the intention of stoping the game from being played by the sheer act of cheating.

But for some weird reason, british are okay with fouls -some even see them as something good and brave, like if somehow football was rugby- but despise diving like if it was the antichrist reincarnated. It's kind of amusing because it doesn't make any sense.

specially when you consider teams like Barcelona who are VERY fond of simulation and play acting to get fouls etc.

Funny, Barça endures much more fouls that aren't called than fouls that are "simulated" and called.

Imagine the first 15 minutes of a derby game where both sides are refusing to go in and challenge for the ball.

If you can't challenge the ball without fouling the opponent 10 times, maybe you aren't very good at challenging the ball.

But british teams can indulge in mindlessly challenging the ball all they want and then they will have penalties to shoot and actually score more goals, I fail to see how that is a bad thing, lads.

And by the way, there are matches being played today that end up with teams having less than 10 fouls. It's not an impossible feat, you can actually play football without fouling all the time, believe me.

It's literally the same principle as giving a yellow and a red card. You cheat, you receive a punishment.

Except players have learned how to cheat the red card punishment and can keep away with fouling and destroying the game without repercussions all the time. You want to prevent players from fouling too much? Make every foul count, not just an irrelevant statistic.

And by the way, a foul is much worse than someone diving, because someone diving doesn't stop the game from being played, but a foul is by definition the intention of stoping the game from being played by the sheer act of cheating.

But for some weird reason, british are okay with fouls -some even see them as something good and brave, like if somehow football was rugby- but despise diving like if it was the antichrist reincarnated. It's kind of amusing because it doesn't make any sense.

Funny, Barça endures much more fouls that aren't called than fouls that are "simulated" and called.

If you can't challenge the ball without fouling the opponent 10 times, maybe you aren't very good at challenging the ball.

But british teams can indulge in mindlessly challenging the ball all they want and then they will have penalties to shoot and actually score more goals, I fail to see how that is a bad thing, lads.

And by the way, there are matches being played today that end up with teams having less than 10 fouls. It's not an impossible feat, you can actually play football without fouling all the time, believe me.
Look, there's no point in arguing around in circles about a fantasy rule change that is never ever going to be implemented.

Awarding a penalty after 10 fouls is a dumb idea in my opinion but each to their own. Maybe we should make the goals bigger or award double points for a goal from outside the box. Doesn't matter as its not going to happen.

You are arguing so passionately for a rule that will never be introduced ever. Its just a waste of time.

Top Bottom