• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2013 - Malmö, Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

Norway, Sweden and Denmark have all won the competition the last years. Time to step it up Finland and Iceland, your failures in the ESC are embarrassing the rest of us Nordic countries.

We could secure our position in the years to come if we paid for the membership of Greenland and the Faroe Islands.

EBU membership requires you to be part of the European Broadcasting Area or part of the Council of Europe. Azerbaijan is a Council of Europe member and thus qualifies.
Israel is in neither i think.
Norway, Sweden and Denmark have all won the competition the last years. Time to step it up Finland and Iceland, your failures in the ESC are embarrassing the rest of us Nordic countries.

How can you forget about Lordi? They are still the best Eurovision winners.

Enkidu

Israel is in neither i think.
It's part of the European Broadcasting Area.
SMSipgz.png

RedShift

By the way, with that 'Swedish Smorgasbord' thing... is that how the rest of the world felt during the 2012 Olympic opening ceremony?

Zutroy

All I can hear when I listen to Norway's song is Shout by Tears for Fears.

Ukraine was shit, why so many votes?

The 'Sweden' performance towards the end was amazing.

Loreen was amazing.

#thatsall

Jucksalbe

Banned

Thanks for posting. At the very least the jury votes didn't change the winner. But beyond that there were some pretty big differences. I still think they should stop using juries at all. They don't improve anything and make all the PR before the show more important. That extremely high jury rank for Sweden is a bit....troubling.

Fuck the jury.

That's another way to put it.

Kurtofan

This Sweden entry got qualified in the Swedish prequalification because of the Jury vote as well, we should have gotten Yohio :[

Kabouter

- Romania got screwed over by the jury, it was awesome
- Greece was far and away the best entry, and got screwed even more. How do you listen to all the songs and not give massive points to it? Are these people anhedonic?
- Wtf? People liked Hungary? Ugh.
- Sweden? Really jury? Be more transparent.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hmm...looking at the low end of the table, it really shows that those average rankings don't say much about what the final results would have been without a jury. You'd really need the results split between jury and televote per country. They probably don't release those, I guess.

Edit: Just saw this on the official Eurovision site:

To protect the fairness of the voting, the EBU does not release the split ranking of televoting and jury per country. Publishing these numbers would explicitly highlight if countries don't meet the televoting threshold – the minimum number of televotes needed to become a statistically valid result - is and where thus only the jury voting was regarded valid. Explicitly highlighting these countries could lead to unwanted disproportionate influence on the televoting in these countries in future years to come.

Didn't know they disregard the televotes in certain countries.

Any system is going to have its issues, but this one is particularly obtuse and pointless. I get that they want to minimize the impact of voting blocs, but it ends up looking just as shamelessly rigged. That they disregard televotes for some states entirely is bizarre. When the presenters for each country deliver the votes, the implication is clear: this is what the country as a whole decided.

And then there's the weird "Top Ten" average thing, which results in a country like Ireland placing 14th in the televote and ~21-24 in the jury vote and finishing last. Add that to the "Big Five" frustrations (literally all of them were terrible, and only Italy finished in the top 10), and maybe the Turks were on to something.

This was a weird Eurovision.
  • Norway was robbed
  • there were a bunch of songs that deserved better performers/performances (Belgium & Sweden in particular, but also Azerbaijan and Ireland)
  • the jury screwed us out of a Montenegro finale performance
  • Finland sent a campy bop that was criminally ignored
  • only the Dutch GAFfers seemed to understand how crappy Anouk's song was
  • I will never understand the fascination Swedes have with Eric Saade
  • Norway was fucking robbed, damn it

Sweden was a great host, though. And Loreen again proved that she and "Euphoria" were the best things to come out of ESC in the last decade.

Dennis

Banned
So we are gearing up for this years Eurovision Song Contest, huh?

How about unbanning Phoenician_Viking and Sethos in tribute to the glorious Danish hosts of this years show? It is going to get awfully lonely if I am the only one cheering the Danes on......I fear the Swedes have us outnumbered....

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Rule Britania!
I have no idea who's singing for us, or anyone else for that matter.
Or when the show is. Or where it's being held.
My knowledge of current events is non existent without the proper threadage, someone should fix that straight away

Rule Britania!
I have no idea who's singing for us, or anyone else for that matter.
Or when the show is. Or where it's being held.
My knowledge of current events is non existent without the proper threadage, someone should fix that straight away

Sigh why do we bother man!

ow YEAAAAAH love the final thread always! gifs are amazing and the gaf community on that night is fantastic!

Remember this guy?

euro_ken1ubs6t.gif

Still in LOVE ! <3 <3 <3
euro8hmsrm.gif

Malta had such a fun song last year:
euro13qys4f.gif

The rest is all crazy.
euro3vlsgc.gif

euro12ojssn.gif

euro157os1v.gif

euro17ffswb.gif

euro185fspy.gif
HORDOR !
euro4m5syx.gif

euro5sks8o.gif

euro7zmslt.gif

euro99as2q.gif

euro11x8sfr.gif

euro22yjs76.gif

euro25aysfr.gif

euro27n9sdr.gif

euro28pzsib.gif

euro29l8s1p.gif

euro327nbru.gif

Wes

venison crêpe
If we get no takers by the end of the week I'll put something together over the following week. We're still over a month away, there's no rush.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I don't have a favorite yet, but I haven't listened to all entries. I'm kinda disappointed that both Moldova and Romania have such boring songs this year.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Nothing will be more uncomfortable than the Lithuanian guy that took of his blindfold, did a back flip then started pelvic thrusting.

Kabouter

Greece and Romania were absolutely brilliant last year. Not going to spoil myself by watching videos beforehand, but another entry even half as awesome as those would be fantastic.

Jamie OD

Can't wait to see how bad Ireland does again. We've done everything the last decade bar sending out eye candy for the lads. But we're so stuck in our old ways we probably haven't figured out that's an option yet.

Also we're one of the countries that pretends to not take it seriously when we really do. Our Eurovision victories came at a time when we had no international success in anything competitive so it was all we had to brag about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom