• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euthanizing a dog is f*cking devastating

Lum1n3s

Honest question,why does euthanizing a dog or pets for that matter hit that certain chord in your heart? I didn’t think I’d have to face this heartache again but here I am experiencing it once again. I dealt with euthanasia before when I had a cat when I was 12 but unfortunately my cat had been food poisoned. When we went to the vet she wanted to do a stomach pump on him when she found out what had happened. It was a costly procedure that my parents couldn’t afford so we ended up having to euthanize Pancho(my cat) which was the worst. Now, my gf’s dog is being put to sleep tomorrow and I’m fucking devastated.

I’ve dated my gf for 7 years and in those 7 years I’ve also gotten to spend time with her familie’s shelties (male and female.) Their shelties are wonderful dogs and I’ve had a lot of fun getting to bond with them but now one of them has gotten to the tipping point. The male dog has a hard time doing anything now... he can’t hear well, can’t go outside anymore to do his business without help and most importantly isn’t eating anymore. He’s just skin and bones now and has gotten super weak. My gf’s dad ended up deciding today to put him to sleep tomorrow and told us to say our goodbyes to him.

When her and I went to do so though and saw him we just teared up and got super emotional... especially since we won’t get the chance to be there tomorrow to say our final goodbyes when he’s put to sleep. The thing that got me is that he was wagging his tail while laying on the ground when we went to see him and he looked super happy but once my gf hugged him while balling her eyes out his attitude changed and all of the sudden he stopped wagging his tail as if he knew something was up. I think that hurt me the most and hit me right in the heart. I did my thing too but omw back home I couldn’t stop thinking about that last encounter. Now I’m here having a couple beers to a wonderful dog knowing that today was my last time seeing him alive and wan to say a toast to him.

Here’s to you Max old buddy old pal... thanks for being a great doge, I hope the great doge skies have a wonderful treat waiting for you up there among the others out there. L’chaim 🍻🍻🍻

jRIWw6Y.jpg

inner-G

Banned
😭

Poor lil buddy. I know I’m going to lose it when our dogs pass on, I feel for you. He won’t be in any more pain or discomfort and your gf and family probably gave him the most awesome life a dog could want.

It hurts because they're part of your family that you no longer will get to pet, hold, or spend time with. If that wasn't hard enough every time I've had to make the decision to euthanize a pet I experience guilt like I was failing them, even when I know it was the best and most humane decision.

NimbusD

Yeah, had to do this a month ago for a dog who I've had literally half my life, and I'm in my 30s (she was fuckin old man).

My condolences. This shit sucks, wish there was a way to make it better other than time.

I went through something similar, OP. Had my childhood dog put down in the Spring and it really messed me up. He was 17 and deteriorating...by the end he couldn't walk, needed to be held up when using the bathroom, partially blind, couldn't sleep, dementia..My parents brought him by in March to spend one last weekend with me and that was the last I saw of him. Couldn't go to the vet and watch them take his life.

RIP Rio and condolences OP

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I'm so sorry, for you and all who have to make that choice. If I have to someday... I can't even imagine. We love our puppers so much, and they love us right back.

Try to feel all the good times and joy, and the gratitude I know you feel for having had that in your life.

*Hugs*

Lum1n3s

It hurts because they're part of your family that you no longer will get to pet, hold, or spend time with. If that wasn't hard enough every time I've had to make the decision to euthanize a pet I experience guilt like I was failing them, even when I know it was the best and most humane decision.

True and I think that’s what getting me, having aged and now being an adult I feel like it hurts more than it did back then.

Condolences mate, had to do it a few times and it never gets any easier.
I can imagine, I don’t even know if it’s worth getting another dog just to go through something like this again.

True and I think that’s what getting me, having aged and now being an adult I feel like it hurts more than it did back then.

I can imagine, I don’t even know if it’s worth getting another dog just to go through something like this again.

The fact that it hurts means you gave that dog, and cat earlier in your life, love that I'm sure was returned in spades.

Don't let that pain stop you from getting another pet when you're ready. I promise it'll be worth it. I just adopted a senior cat (7) and he follows me around and lays on my lap when I'm on the couch and next to my legs when I go to sleep. Little guy feels the apartment with life.

Man the pancho part got me and that's where I stopped. I know the day will come one day with my cat and I try not to think about it because hes my first pet since I was a kid and back then I went through multiple dogs and had to deal with their deaths and it never got easier.

Dogs are one of the purest forms of love on this planet. Anyone that says dog lovers are just anthropomorphizing their pet has never experienced the pure unadulterated joy and love a dog will show you just for BEING there with them. If only humans had a fraction of the purity of spirit a dog has.

My boston is sitting next to me under her blanket as I write this. She has bad knees (luxating patellae) to both hind legs. We've been blessed wirh 6.5 years with her so far, but I know I will have to face euthanizing her in some more years, once she reaches the point where she's in too much pain to move and whatnot. I pray for as many years as possible, for my wife and my sake.

I cried a little reading your post OP. I havent cried over the loss of a human being in over a decade, when my son died back in 2006 that was the hardest, and last, time I cried about a human. I can think about human misery and feel pity but not cry. But I cannot even THINK of a pure spirited pup suffering without getting emotional. We fallen beings dont deserve dogs, and they deserve so much better than us.

I am truly sorry for your loss, OP. Dont avoid another pet in the future though. So many pups out there need a good, loving home. I cant stand the thought that so many of them will get neglectful, or even abuseful, homes. I'd take millions of them in if I could. Always have a pup in your life, if for no reason other than to give them the best life you can.

Spyware

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? I mean... it's death. The death of a family member. Of course it hurts. I would be quite disturbed if it didn't hit that chord.

But we owe it to them. Old, injured or sick people can be told to rest and read a book or play a video game. Or whatever they like to do. They can most often tell us if it hurts an if the meds work and so on.
A dog wants to be a dog. To run, play and work. And as soon as it can't live the life a dog should and we can't be sure a treatment will work, we owe it to them to not let them suffer.

I had to euthanize my one and a half year old dog last year. He was my first dog, I learned so much from him and the love I have for him is neverending.
He got really sick and after almost a year of meds that just gave him bad side effects, special food that he refused to eat and having to sedate him over and over to do different examinations I felt he had gone through enough.

I still feel guilt. Over not trying even more, but also for letting it go that far. He was a happy pup that loved me and he had days where he seemed fine. Others never knew he was in pain. For me it was obvious. I couldsee the change in him, the frequent "bow" pose that tell me his tummy hurt, the vomiting and do on. Dogs are experts on hifing pain and I could see his pain most of the days :(

Well... it fucking sucks. But that's the responibility we have chosen.

My condolences, OP.

Megatron

Absolutely sucks. Go over there in the morning with a stack of hot dogs op. Let Max go out on a good note!

My dog is 14 and snoring next to me. I think all the time about how little time she has left.

FUME5

I'll be honest, that was my opinion as well after the last one, but fuck was I wrong.

Give it a little bit and then get a new dog who you can give a good life to, rather than it languishing in a pound somewhere.

When I was a senior in high school we had to put both my Dachsunds to sleep on the same day. That was 14 years ago, I haven't gotten another dog since then.

Lum1n3s

The fact that it hurts means you gave that dog, and cat earlier in your life, love that I'm sure was returned in spades.

Don't let that pain stop you from getting another pet when you're ready. I promise it'll be worth it. I just adopted a senior cat (7) and he follows me around and lays on my lap when I'm on the couch and next to my legs when I go to sleep. Little guy feels the apartment with life.

That’s awesome, I hope I get the opportunity to go about this again I just have to mentally prepare myself, especially since I have a dog of my own and ugh her dog hurt me a lot and now just thinking about that moment for my dog has hurt me even more.

Man the pancho part got me and that's where I stopped. I know the day will come one day with my cat and I try not to think about it because hes my first pet since I was a kid and back then I went through multiple dogs and had to deal with their deaths and it never got easier.
it certainly doesn’t, Poncho and now Max have hurt me a lot. Now I have to think about this happening to my own dog... f*ck

Dogs are one of the purest forms of love on this planet. Anyone that says dog lovers are just anthropomorphizing their pet has never experienced the pure unadulterated joy and love a dog will show you just for BEING there with them. If only humans had a fraction of the purity of spirit a dog has.

My boston is sitting next to me under her blanket as I write this. She has bad knees (luxating patellae) to both hind legs. We've been blessed wirh 6.5 years with her so far, but I know I will have to face euthanizing her in some more years, once she reaches the point where she's in too much pain to move and whatnot. I pray for as many years as possible, for my wife and my sake.

I cried a little reading your post OP. I havent cried over the loss of a human being in over a decade, when my son died back in 2006 that was the hardest, and last, time I cried about a human. I can think about human misery and feel pity but not cry. But I cannot even THINK of a pure spirited pup suffering without getting emotional. We fallen beings dont deserve dogs, and they deserve so much better than us.

I am truly sorry for your loss, OP. Dont avoid another pet in the future though. So many pups out there need a good, loving home. I cant stand the thought that so many of them will get neglectful, or even abuseful, homes. I'd take millions of them in if I could. Always have a pup in your life, if for no reason other than to give them the best life you can.

Dogs are as innocent as a baby but with more energy put into things and they’re the best thing to have as an all around source of happiness and many other great things at the same time they can be a double edged knife just like any other pet for that matter. The good for me outweighs the bad but still 😞

Fat4all

Banned
Me and my family have had to do this too many times. It’s heart wrenching but it’s the right thing to do.

I still remember the first dog we had to put down, Shayna. 14 year old Boxer, got a bit grumpy as she aged, but get her in your lap and she would fall asleep while you pet her.

Sweet baby.

One of my cat is about 9 years old and still seems healthy, but I'm dreading when the day comes when I have to do the same. I also have two more to deal with.
To be honest, I'll probably never have a pet again. I'm not doing this shit more than these 3 required times.
I'm too "soft" for this kind of shit.

Phased

It's worth it and it helps. I know it feels like betraying or forgetting your old one but that isn't the case at all. Once you get used to the companionship an animal gives you, nothing can fill that hole except another animal.

You can go out right now a rescue a dog in need of a good home. Bring some good out of a shitty situation.

Anura

I had to put my dog down today. According to the vets she had cancer and might have had only a few days to live at that point. Just a week ago she seemed so fine and lively. It’s so hard.

I grew up with her and we’ve been through so much together. Every day for almost ten years now she’d greet me when I got hone. She’d follow me everywhere. She’d Sleep in my bed and in my room. I would cuddle with her once life got me down. Now, this might be the most life has ever gotten me down and she’s not here to cuddle with me. She’s not here greet me anymore and she’s not going to sleep with me anymore. I can’t sleep because the empty bed reminds me of her. It’s very, very hard

I’m so sorry about your dog. I’m here with you and I know how hard it can be. At least you’re not alone.

That’s awesome, I hope I get the opportunity to go about this again I just have to mentally prepare myself, especially since I have a dog of my own and ugh her dog hurt me a lot and now just thinking about that moment for my dog has hurt me even more.

it certainly doesn’t, Poncho and now Max have hurt me a lot. Now I have to think about this happening to my own dog... f*ck

Dogs are as innocent as a baby but with more energy put into things and they’re the best thing to have as an all around source of happiness and many other great things at the same time they can be a double edged knife just like any other pet for that matter. The good for me outweighs the bad but still 😞

I know man. The back edge of the knife gets you when you loose them, but it is worth that pain to have the love and joy they bring throughout their lives. If it werent for Lexi (my dog), my heart would be as cold and black as a lump of coal in siberia. My wife and my dog are really the only two things in my daily life that keep me sane and retaining any hope for this world, because humanity sucks.

I'd hug you right now if I could. I pray for peace in your soul in the knowledge that you gave your dog a good life in this world, and that you take in a new pup when the time is right and your heart is ready. PM me any time if you want to share pup stories.

My 8 year old cat Apollo was put down last week. Wheb i was 15 my parents brought home 2 kittens. One for my sister, and one for me. Apollo was mine and addy was my sisters. Out of nowhere and at a routine vet examination i learned apollo had cancer, and he was dying. The vet recommended he be put down, but i couldnt do it. I took him home and for a few days he was with me. The night before he passed he crawled up with me in bed, and he put his paws on my face and cuddled with me. I was anxious as heck and every 15 minutes i was worried he was gone. At some point during the night he started lixking my face and fell asleep right next to my face. The next day he ended up passing away in his cat bed. It felt like he was saying goodbye to me. I loved him so much. Losing a pet hurts. You are just left with the insight that you were able to bond with them and that you could give them as good as a life as possible.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I had a bf whose parents had dogs. I stayed over all the time and got to know them all. Maltese shih-tzus Hercules and Gabrielle. Hercules was old and very sick so they decided to put him down. None of them cared enough to be with him, they were just going to drop him off and go. So I took him in and held his paw bawling my eyes out while he went to sleep. It was one of the most horrible things I've ever done and I never forgave those people. They didn't look after their pets very well so it didn't surprise me that they did that. They did the same thing to their other dog Xena but I didn't know until after.

I hope Gabi had a good life.

I'll be a wreck when my Lucian goes.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Same but it was our cat which we had for 10 years.

My oldest cat is 9, you are ruining my day.

In any case my condolences OP. I had a dog put down before and that fucked me up for weeks. I feel you :(. Take care of yourself.

Swass

We just put down our 17 year old dog last June, that night I was so sick and depressed, I didn't think I would recover. As the months have passed though I realized how we should have probably done it sooner as her last year she had a very low quality of life. We have 2 more dogs also getting up there in age and I am dreading the day we have to do it again.. absolutely brutal.

Sarcasm

Forgot when but here in Taiwan a women who worked at a vet committed suicide because she couldn't handle all the euthanizing being down.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yup... did it twice the last few years (one old age, the more recent with a genetic disease they couldn't figure out until it was too late) and I was in the room as it happened because I feel I owe it to them to be there so they aren't with a stranger (Not that the vet is a stranger) and it pretty much kills me a little bit more every time.

And one of my current dogs is both old for the breed (10 year old golden retriever, a breed known to not last much more than 12ish usually) and developed diabetes a couple of years ago so I'm already preparing for the worst any day now (well not any day because he's fine so far, just going blind and has to take insulin twice a day).

Well this thread sure bummed me out :(

hamsjams

It's true for humans but somehow especially so for animals that the pain inflicted on loss is directly proportional to the love shared in life. That's why it's so devastating, but also why it's so worth it.

When euthanasia is required it's the final gift we give to our pets. We embrace heartache and take on suffering ourselves so that they may be spared it. It's repayment and ultimate gratitude for their lifetime of unconditional love.

Time never takes the sadness away, but eventually it does soothe the sting. You just have to endure until then. Allow yourself to cry, let yourself actually grieve and mourn. Talk with your girlfriend and memorialize him if the notion arises. You will "recover" faster and stronger if you actually work through your sorrow as opposed to ignoring it.

You don't ever need to get another pet. But if you keep your heart open it's more than likely that you'll encounter an animal that needs you in time. You'll eventually need it, too.

I'm sorry for your loss. It sucks exceptionally hard, and all you can do is bear it.

In my experience losing loved ones is getting harder with age and as more have occurred. My latest pet was not quite a year ago, and my latest human was barely three months. I still easily tear up and cry about both of them. I would rather have this grief for the rest of my life than ever have to forfeit the years and years of incredible joy both brought me. I think you'll feel the same way.

jfkgoblue

The dog we had as a family while I was in High School died suddenly (she just got really sick and died in the span of 24 hours)at 9 last week, my sister was the one who had her and she had to discover her in the morning. My childhood dog(who was also a sheltie) was euthanized around 5 years ago at 13.

Trust me the euthanized way is much easier as you are mentally prepared for it, the suddenly dieing has been really rough, especially for her.

Cronen

We recently discovered that our cat had a cancerous lump that had unfortunately spread to his lungs and was causing him to struggle to breathe. We put him to sleep 2 weeks ago and I was an absolute wreck. I understand what you're going through OP, and I wish you all the best. Just know that you did your part in giving Max a wonderful life, that was full of love.

Creeping up on a year since my wife put her dog down. I didn't even say goodbye because I assumed they'd just come back. My wife made the decision to put her down after all her test proved she was worse than we thought. I'm still upset over it.

Sorry for your loss

Just make sure someone is in the room with Max when the time comes. I work in an industry where I unfortunately have to see this thing on a regular basis and it still surprises me how many people let their pet reach the end on their own.

While it's devastating on us humans, the least we could offer is our company during their final moments...

Godspeed, Max.

This is my little guy Scottie. I recently lost my childhood pet cat, Artie, at the old age of 15. I had two cats with my ex-gf. When we broke up, I thought she should keep them because she has had the older one since he was a kitten. Hes now 17!

It hurt losing the cats and I told myself I wasnt ready for another one. I saw a picture of Scottie on the Humane Society's Twitter page, and his description as a senior lap cat struck me. I went to go see him in person, and read on his sheet that he was given up because his owner died and the family coulsnt care for him anymore.

When I bent down to pet him, he looked up to me touched my nose with his while he smelled me. I ended up taking him home a hour later.

Anyway, OP and others in this thread, I know it hurta, but I think when enough healing has happened, you will fins your own Scottie. Just allow yourself to your grief.

Madao

a pet dying feels very bad.

i refuse to own any pets because of this. i used to have mice but them dying of old age usually hit me a bit and i know a bigger pet that lives longer will wreck me so i just prefer to avoid it and not have any.

SMattera

"When you purchase a pet, you're purchasing a small tragedy. It's going to end badly. You know that in the pet store." - George Carlin

Putting down my cat was one of the worst days in my life. But I think finding her dead body would've been worse.

Kuntz

My dog is one of my first memories as a kid.
I lost a brother the day we had to do end his suffering. I didn't have the strength to go with my parents. Then one or two hours later I finally realized what was really going on and burst in tears like never. One of my biggest regrets. I'm sorry bro.
No more pets. Ever.

Spyware

Just make sure someone is in the room with Max when the time comes. I work in an industry where I unfortunately have to see this thing on a regular basis and it still surprises me how many people let their pet reach the end on their own.

While it's devastating on us humans, the least we could offer is our company during their final moments...

Godspeed, Max.
Actually, I really wish my SO hadn't been with our little Moriarty when we had to put him down. My SO is still haunted by it a year later. Sometimes he just starts to cry or wake up all sweaty and horrified at night because he's right back at that moment. We're both extremely sad about Mory being gone but his pain is sometrhing else, something I can't fault people for not wanting to experience. He describes the way Mory's eyes just... faded away, and he can't get that out of his mind.

It can also be better for the pet. If the owner is in distress the pet will of course sense that. Going with the experienced vet and just falling asleep doesn't hurt them. Just make sure not to leave them, let them leave you with the nice and cool vet that has treats for them.

I will surely not judge anyone that can't handle being in there.

Dogs are humanities closest friends and allies in the animal kingdom. I firmly believe that.

It is always upsetting to lose one. They can be our closest allies and friends. Beautiful dog OP, my condolences.

I hope this comes out in the nicest way and is interpreted as such, but I'm glad most pets have a peaceful euthanasia when they are suffering. Even we as humans don't have that "right" to leave this earth peacefully just quite yet.

JoeBoy101

*hugs*

Having to put down my dog ripped my heart out as well. Totally the right decision as cancer was doing a number on her, but still it was really tough.

KrisB

Sorry to hear, OP.

I had to do the same 2 years ago. Worst day of my life, it's completely heartbreaking.

Crazy timing on this thread as I just went through this Monday morning. Had her since I was a kid (she was 18 years old), so I'm having trouble adjusting to life without her. As an only child, she was kinda like the sibling I never had. Not seeing her face pop up around the corner as I walk through the door is going to hurt for a while.

I'm not one to get too emotional about things, but I've been a wreck these past two days. I can empathize with what you're going through OP. Cherish your memories with Max.

Top Bottom