• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euthanizing a dog is f*cking devastating

grimmiq

Had to do the same 2 years ago, cancerous growth in her spine, was fucking sudden. Went to bed all happy, woke up and she couldn't move, at all, not even raise her head, had apparently been there for a while, ticking time-bomb sort of thing without us knowing. 11 years old, still miss her, haven't had the heart to fill that void yet. Was with me from high school, moving out of my parents house, and got me through a lot of depressing shit.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So sorry OP. It's absolutely devastating, no two ways about it.

The only solace you can take is if the dog is very ill, it will be finally at peace.

But even after two years we had to let our 17 year old dachshund go, thinking of the end still brings me to tears.

pa22word

God, I remember when we had to put down the family dog when I was a sophomore in hs. My brother, mother and I were dead quiet till about halfway home. I lost it first, then my brother, and finally my mother. We cried all the way home after that, just buckets and buckets of tears ;.;

Shit sucks man. Just remember the good times and know that their pain is over. Evolution wants us to feel pain at their loss, they are our brother species after all. Just take solace knowing that back tens of thousands of years when your ancestors were hurling rocks and basic spears, tough as nails, they too were probably crying when Bub bit the dust. It's an entirely human emotion to feel that pain, and don't feel bad about doing so. You loved them, it loved you. That's all that mattered.

xk0sm0sx

A few months ago we went our dog of 10 years for a checkup because it seemed to be having trouble shitting.

It was a tumour, and a fairly large one. Doctor said the chances of curing it is very low, and would likely paralyze the dog for the rest of it's life if it did make it.
It was heartbreaking to have to decide if we should pay a lot of money for an operation that would likely prolong it's suffering, or euthanize it before it suffers. And when should we do it.
We decided to not do an operation, and for euthanasia we would delay it until the dog can no longer eat and is clearly in pain. For the meantime the dog was still pretty active and it would be sad to let it go.

But we knew things could change drastically in a few weeks, a few months, or hopefully a few years.
And my rule is that we must not let the dog suffer at all. The dog should go when it needs to.

1 month later that moment came. It stopped eating and walking and we sent it to the doctor who said it was pretty serious. So I told him to euthanise it. I will not let the dog suffer more than it needs to.
Ultimately I felt no regrets in what I did. I did not prolong my pet's suffering for our own selfishness. I feel it was my final gift of love to my companion of 10 years go quickly and peacefully.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I just had to go through this within the last hour. It's really rough. You can never be prepared for something like this.

Gibbs

I went through it twice in two years... Never again will I have another dog. Its extremely hard to deal with, let alone coming back from.

One died Christmas from a stroke. The second died two years later of a brain disease. Never. Fucking. Again.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Fuck this thread :/ my dog is sitting on my lap and I’m regretting getting the little punk. I don’t even know how the wife and I will handle it when that day comes.

Went through the same thing with my German Shepherd in 2011. Definitely the worst day of my life and it was very painful for a long time. A lot of people cope by getting another dog, but some people (myself included) just cannot get another dog because it’s way too much emotionally. I don't want to go through that pain every 10 years or so. :(

RIP to your little friend.

I had to do this a little over a year ago. Devastating is the only word to describe it.

Our dog, Charlie, had a malignant tumor that ruptured. Costs to help him would have been over $10k (and I had already spent almost $2k in treatment costs) far beyond what we could afford.

I still cry on occasion thinking about that day.

Shadybiz

Very sorry for your loss. He looks like he was a proud pup.

We had to have our Golden Retriever put down when I was around 12 years old. No one took it harder than my dad. Other than when his grandmother died, that was the only time I had ever seen the man cry. ...We never had a dog after that; the thought of the eventual loss was just too much for him.

Many years later (I'm 37 now), I am thinking about getting a dog. My wife is on board, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. One of the reasons is because I remember the past, and I know how hard it will be when he/she eventually has to be euthanized. The dog will be a great friend to us...but it's hard when you know that you will most certainly have to see your friend go.

May you find some solace in knowing that your friend is no longer in pain.

Grisby

I think it hurts the most because you can't convey to them what your trying to do or how much you love them. That they might be in pain and this is in their best interest because you don't want them to suffer.

You just can't say it.

Sorry OP. Been 9 years for me and I still think about her in that tiny veterinarian room.

I can imagine, I don’t even know if it’s worth getting another dog just to go through something like this again.

I'll be honest, that was my opinion as well after the last one, but fuck was I wrong.

Give it a little bit and then get a new dog who you can give a good life to, rather than it languishing in a pound somewhere.

I'm yet to get another dog........ and it's been 14 years........ I know time to move on and all that. I actually thought about getting a new pet, ultimately it's a joy I want to share when I have a family of my own....so I'm waiting for the family (that's probably never going to happen at this point :-/) before I get a new family dog.

My pet dog I had grown up with from when I was a child, through to early adulthood (I was 21 at the time) collapsed and could no longer move one side of her body which was heartbreaking in itself. In hindsight the last few years you could tell she was getting on a bit.... going blind etc.

She was a border collie and the best dog ever (grew up with German sheperds previously)

Been there.

One of the worst days of my life.

But to you OP, you have my respect. What you did was a selfless act; an act of genuine compassion.

That's true, unconditional love.

Take care.

mhayes86

Im sorry for your loss, OP. I had to do it to my 12 year old miniature poodle back in July due to a spread of cancer, and my wife and I were devastated for a few weeks. A day hasn't passed where I haven't thought about him since I miss him dearly. If anything, I'm glad to have had as much time with him as I did since he had several health issues over the years.

After a few weeks of mourning, we decided to rescue a couple miniature poodle in his memory (I'm allergic to dogs, so poodles are great for me), and feel great for giving a couple dogs a second chance.

oxidax

Shit fucking sucks. My pet licked my face before we put him to sleep as if he knew it was our final goodbye. I started crying like a baby right away.
He completely stopped eating and was having seizures. The vet did humorous tests except a cat scan to check his head and getting to the point, but he said it was very costly and we might only be able to extend his life for a couple of more months but he doubted the seizures would completely stop and he wasn't sure about the eating situation.

He now rests in peace. I miss my Buddy :(
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

zeemumu

I'm sorry, OP. Euthanizing a dog is never easy to handle. You have them for so long and they love you unconditionally until the end, so it's always painful saying goodbye with the knowledge that they probably don't know what's going on.

Apathy

Dogs are family members. You feel sad when your normally family does, why wouldn't you feel the same way when the member of the family that gives you unconditional love dies as well?

I'm sorry that you had to put down the dog. It's always hard, but I think it was a wrong choice to not be there (and too many people do it so don't feel bad, I'm not blaming you).

I've been told a lot of stories from friends that are vets about families that rightfully couldn't take the pain of watching their pets be put to sleep, I get it, but my friends always tell me they wish there families could stay. The reason being that their pets get really scared and they spend their last moments without their families at their sides, in a strange place, and in fear. I implore everyone, when the time finally comes that you need to put down your pet, I know it's hard cause I've had to do it, but please please please be strong for them, no matter how painful it is for you, it's a million times scarier for them to be without you at that moment. They spent their lives being there for you, in their last moments they need you to be there for them.

It's going to hurt from a while op, but the pain will pass, your dog will always be in your heart and you'll be able to get another dog who will be part of the family as well.

Definitely not looking forward to this day when we have to do it with our husky. The thought of it makes me feel sick.

Sorry for your loss. Dogs are literally one of the best things in life. My girlfriend and I adopting one was one of the best decisions we've ever made together as a couple.

dochuge

My condolences to you. I am a stoic man, I’m not very emotional at all. I can count on one hand how many times I’ve cried as an adult. But when I put my boy Willie down a few years ago, I cried like a freaking baby. It was uncontrollable and I started feeling embarrassed but it showed how much I cared and loved him. Seeing him go to sleep still brings tears to my eyes. Of course my wife showed little emotion. I was the big baby of the two of us. Now I have Jake and when he goes it’s going to be the same thing over again.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Sorry for your loss OP, wish you and your family all the strength in the world. Had to go through it this summer and it's devastating. A dog is a family member, so painful to say goodbye. The last seconds of my dog's life and his death broke me. I don't think I'll ever forget that image and moment. It took a long time to heal but I'm doing better now. We made a photo album and put his ashes next to his picture. I'm sure you guys will do everything to keep the memory alive.

It's been 7 years since I had to put my dog to sleep and even thinking about it now I still get choked up about it, all that shows is how important and impactful that dog was to your life and that they loved you just as much as you loved them.

I have lost family members and friends, but nothing devastated me so far in life more than losing my dog.

This happened to me last month.

Long-time GAFers may remember Kiki, who was the kicked by burglars that stole all my very large Nintendo game collection with hundreds of games about 9 years ago that ultimately paralyzed her that required surgery. She rebounded and gave us 9 more years of love, including an appearance on House Hunters about 5 years ago.

The reason why euthanizing her was so hard is because sometimes, they act normal, so when something is wrong, you just can't anticipate that becoming something you have to think about. Kiki had a vaginal infection that was life-threatening, but she was acting like nothing was wrong, even playing the day before we had to make the toughest decision of our lives. Due to her age, the prognosis wasn't good, and her health was deteriorating (she is a Pekingese and had lost 2 pounds when we took her in). That was a month ago and even today I just feel horrible, to the point I just don't think I can handle that anymore with another pet.

gamz

My Pug is 12 and the tumor on his leg came back. He's losing balance and we are waiting for X-rays. He has a great vet since he was a puppy and she adores him. We are just waiting to see what she says. Man, I'm super worried.

OP I feel for you... It's devastating.

I'm pretty sure I'll never get another pooch. He was so perfect that I just can't replace him.

DirtyLarry

A pet provides unconditional love that is rare to find from fellow humans.
They will never break your heart.
They will depend on you for nearly everything if you accept that responsibility.
They will never have a bad day.
They will never hold a grudge.
Simply put, if you love them, hell, even if you just like them a little, they love you back. No questions asked.

It is truly a rare example of unconditional love in our lives.

They also become such a huge part of a day to day existence. Whether you acknowledge it or not, if you are a responsible pet owner that tries to provide the love that they give back to them, your daily routine revolves around them. So when you lose them, you lose a part of your life that you came to rely on. The routines are no longer there. That in itself is jarring and hard to accept.

I am not a very spiritual person, although the older I get, the more I find myself open to something changing my mind. However the one aspect of our lives that makes me believe perhaps there is something greater at play is the existence of pets. You can look towards them for every life lesson there is really.
Live for the moment.
Love those around you.
Enjoy your time as much as possible as it is short and precious. So much so for them.

I typed this all out as my dog Oliver gently laid his head on my lap, so perhaps I am bias.

Its tough, i had to put my 2 pugs down a few years back. Its one of the toughest things i had to do, but remember that hes probably in a lot of pain too. Right now i have a sheltie, max, their really great dogs. Its going to be tough for a bit, and i know it will completely destroy me when it comes his time. Condolences OP

Eskiboy

I feel your pain, OP. Had to let go of my best bud a few years ago. He was 15 and had cancer. It really broke me down being in that vets room and having to let him go. The house felt soo empty after and i still miss him. He had a good run and he certainly made my life better.

It's the shittiest thing about having a dog, hands down. But it's the price we have to pay for years of unconditional companionship. I think about it everyday with my dog. I've had dogs before but it's my wife and child's first dog and it pains me to know that they will experience this heartache when the time comes.

I was alone in the room the day my 15 year old dog, and best friend, was euthanized. No one else from my family wanted to see it (or thought they could take it) and I think that was for the best... I cried so goddamn much, I knew it would hurt and I had prepared myself for it, but goddamn, how it fucking hurt. It also didn't help that on that day he looked way livelier than what I was used to see him in those final weeks, but that was probably my brain fucking with me... I still felt guilt for a long time though. This was last year, February, there's not a day I don't think about that little guy.

I had a bearded collie named Max. We had to put him down at age 7, and it was the worst experience for me.

I've had four dogs, and putting him down was definitely the worst.

Also had a sheltie named Morris. Putting him down was really sad, because he never got a chance for a good life. Just misery all the way through.

:(

Symphonia

Banned
Our family dog had to be put down in 2013. I wasn’t even living at home at the time, but made the trip to see our dog. I’d been told she was fine but something kept nagging at me. My father said not to worry and stay home. I ignored him and drove over. I got there, saw our dog, and knew she was unwell. She wasn’t eating, wasn’t sleeping, and could barely hold herself up.

I picked her up in some towels, and along with my dad, took her to the vets. It turned out she was seriously ill and there was nothing they can do - the kindest option would be to put her down. My dad and I just broke down. Our beautiful little dog we’d had for ten years was dying. I’ll never forget that last look she gave me.

Fuck.

Carn82

My condolences OP, it will never get easy :(

https://youtu.be/le34ygtODfI

Now your bowl is empty
And your feet are cold
And your body cannot stop rocking
I know
It hurts to let go
Since the day we found you
You have been our friend
And your voice still echoes in the hallways of this house
But now
It's the end
We will be with you
When you're leaving
We will be with you
When you go
We will be with you
And hold you till you're quiet
It hurts to let you go
We will be with you
We will be with you
We will be with you
You will stay with us

:(

Blackie

Sorry for your loss :(

My family had to put down our first cat when she got really sick and was painfully dying from the disease. They let us remain in the room. I will never forget the last sound she made, like a sad meow that strangely trailed off into silence...

z1ggy

I had a dog for about 15 years (i was 14 when i got him and he died when i was 29). A bit after he reached 15 years old cancer showed up and i had to put him to rest. It was fucking terrible, i mean, i lived with the little guy half of my life.

Here he is, swiming in the middle of a fucking river lol. Amazing creature.

1015561_10151659825702290_285804274_o.jpg

So for some years i didnt want another pet in my house but then again, 2 cats started to show up at my garden and i had to take care of them. A friend of mine saves stray dogs and has a shelter for them and she gave me one of them. Its terrible when they die, but its amazing to have them around. I cant live without them.

10623591_10153195522422290_7340973533001862246_o.jpg

19417350_10155447996627290_4069468373441191071_o.jpg

holtlegna

Banned
I'm so sorry for you loss op :(.

I just euthanized my dog this past summer. We didn't have to funds to cure her tumor so we made the decision to put her down. It was the most heartbreaking moment of my life but in the end it was for the best I didn't want her to suffer anymore.

Ashhong

I need to stop reading these threads. Don’t need to be crying at 9 in the morning. Anytime I think about the day when my dog needs to be put down I get teary. It’s just so sad to think about. Dogs are so innocent, loving, and kind. They don’t want anything other than some food and your love. Putting them down has to be one of the saddest things to do.

It's because you're making the choice to end that life. Even if you know full well that it's the right thing to do and needs to be done it's a tremendously heavy burden.

Had to put mine down 5 years ago and it still tears me up to think about.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Had to do this a year ago. And by had to I mean..... if I hadn’t, he would have gone on his own within less than 24 hours and who KNOWS what that would have been like...?

Absolutely awful, but you did what was best for him. In my case falling asleep next to me made him happy. He pushed into me and fell asleep snoring before they even started.

It took me weeks to recover. I still miss him to this day. He was my best friend for 12 years.. and I say that feelin very blessed to have the quantity and quality of friends and family that I have.

Seik

Banned
I'm going to be devastated once my cat will die.

In the end, these little fellas teach us that we can love, lose, and then love again.

I feel for you, OP.

G-Bus

Banned
Seen 3 dogs and 3 cats pass since I was a kid. Hardest one being my wife's dog. Put him down a couple years ago and I was in the room as they were prepping him. Ended up not staying and watching and waited in the lobby. Cannot handle that.

We have a 6 years old puggle and a 5 year old great Dane. Gona tear my heart out when those two go. They're my first dogs from puppy I've raised on my own.

Triz

I had to put my last dog down when we couldn't afford the medical bills to "possibly" save her. Wife and kids left the room while I stayed and held her paw. Wrecked me for a few days.

Sorry for your loss.

Feels Bad man.jpg

It hurts dude, 5 years later and I still miss her

The worse is when they in your dreams and you can't understand why you feeling so attached when you see them. Then you wake up.... still get them dude.

But you do move on, but it hurts

Had to euthanize my kitten in July after having him for only 6 months. Was the hardest thing I've done in my life and the first time I cried in 15 years. I took him to the vet twice because I couldn't go through with it the first time. It was weird how truly devastating the loss was as I'm normally a level headed and rational person. I only had him for a short while but I was really attached to him and he was to me.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpUSWlgZXvY I don't think this song was meant for a pet, but I the lyrics fit my emotions perfectly at the time when I heard it. (Steven Universe song). I think a lot of people feel this way when they lose a pet.

Top Bottom