• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evangelion 3.0 SPOILER Thread | You Can (Not) Comprehend

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Woops misread title and got scared by kagari. LOL But I haven't and can't see the movie yet but for me it was a pleasant surprise to hear Utada actually made a new song for the movie. That along with all your comments is making the wait harder!!!

raven777

It seems that with the trailer for 3.0 at the 2.0, none of the scenes were used, but they actually all happened in between 2.0 and 3.0 in that 14 year period I guess. Like how Nerv was abandonment, Mark 6 going down the central Dogma, etc.

Jinroh

I am pretty sure some of the stuff are not correct there, like the eva units
Yup not correct from what I read.

Unit 06 lays in terminal dogma, pierced by a lance, while unit 01 is powering Misato's ship. Unit 13 is a totally new eva, even though it looks like unit 1 and 6.

raven777

The more I look at the design, I am getting used to it.

When I first saw designs of Wunder and new Eva unites I was like wtf.

But now, it all looks normal (actually, not all but most)

But I get more Nadia/Guren Lagan vibe as well.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't see the Gurren Lagann comparisons at all, even if that featured giant mecha cruisers. TTGL's designs are outlandish and cartoonish; the Wunder seems like a grotesque mismatch of colours powered on the vertebral column of an angel corpse.

Actually, I've never quite got the overall opinion that the Rebuild series is somehow inspired by TTGL's success.

raven777

I don't see the Gurren Lagann comparisons at all, even if that featured giant mecha cruisers. TTGL's design are outlandish and cartoonish; the Wunder seems like a grotesque mismatch of colours powered on the vertebral column of an angel corpse.

Actually, I've never quite got the overall opinion that the Rebuild series is somehow inspired by TTGL's success.

yea not too much Guren Lagan similarities, but still the crew of Will-E kinda reminds me of Guren Lagan.

Obviously the art style is completely different from Guren Lagan.

And with Nadia there is definitely some feel of it. Reusing many of its music, the Misto's new look and Will-E's style, Wunder etc.

hirokazu

Looks to be true, yeah. Also looks like all the people who speculated that Rebuild was a sequel were right with the two lances and all.
To be honest, I don't think we'll ever find out. They'll probably leave that idea open for speculation forever.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Is there even any evidence that Rebuild isn't a continuation? Applying Occam's Razor and all, I'm not sure why people are so uppity against the idea.

hirokazu

Is there even any evidence that Rebuild isn't a continuation? Applying Occam's Razor and all, I'm not sure why people are so uppity against the idea.
Whose uppity about it. Just saying a lot of things people point out can be placed there as a homage or allusion to the original series or because Anno is just trolling. Or it could be hints it's a sequel. Being Evangelion, it'll probably never be answered definitively and will continue to be speculated on. How do we pick out what are simply allusions and what is to be taken seriously? We don't know.

Not saying people aren't allowed to believe it. I just hold a neutral view on it and I find some people jump to conclusions on it too quickly, confirmation bias up the wazoo. For example: the sea being red is explained in the Rebuild movies as a result of Second Impact, but people like to ignore that fact and use it as evidence to prop up the idea that its red because it directly followed the state of the earth in End of Evangelion. Or the old shot up NERV logo in the Evangelion 3.0 trailer where people went as far as saying it "definitely" proves it's a sequel, despite that logo appearing throughout the Rebuild movies so far. Now that we know details of 3.0 and how NERV was mostly dismantled after 2.0, it has really been disproved and put into context.

Like the other guy mentioned, I'd just be cautious about saying that the sequel theory is "definitely" proven, because its not and it does lead to some confusion and misinformation. We can all speculate and form our own views on it, and nobody's stopping you from doing that.

/XX/

I don't see the Gurren Lagann comparisons at all, even if that featured giant mecha cruisers. TTGL's designs are outlandish and cartoonish; the Wunder seems like a grotesque mismatch of colours powered on the vertebral column of an angel corpse.

Just a related anecdote I found funny; one comment I saw from an spectator said that on Evangelion: 3.0 the relationship between Kaworu & Shinji reminded him/her more of the one between Kamina & Simon rather than the relationship they had on the original series!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Whose uppity about it. Just saying a lot of things people point out can be placed there as a homage or allusion to the original series or because Anno is just trolling. Or it could be hints it's a sequel. Being Evangelion, it'll probably never be answered definitively and will continue to be speculated on. How do we pick out what are simply allusions and what is to be taken seriously? We don't know.

Not saying people aren't allowed to believe it. I just hold a neutral view on it and I find some people jump to conclusions on it too quickly, confirmation bias up the wazoo. For example: the sea being red is explained in the Rebuild movies as a result of Second Impact, but people like to ignore that fact and use it as evidence to prop up the idea that its red because it directly followed the state of the earth in End of Evangelion. Or the old shot up NERV logo in the Evangelion 3.0 trailer where people went as far as saying it "definitely" proves it's a sequel, despite that logo appearing throughout the Rebuild movies so far. Now that we know details of 3.0 and how NERV was mostly dismantled after 2.0, it has really been disproved and put into context.

Like the other guy mentioned, I'd just be cautious about saying that the sequel theory is "definitely" proven, because its not and it does lead to some confusion and misinformation. We can all speculate and form our own views on it, and nobody's stopping you from doing that.
Great, now you just moved me to the camp of "not a sequel" because that means Anno is trolling everyone and that's my favourite Anno.
Just a related anecdote I found funny; one comment I saw from an spectator said that on Evangelion: 3.0 the relationship between Kaworu & Shinji reminded him/her more of the one between Kamina & Simon rather than the relationship they had on the original series!
Awww hell naw.

Soma

You know what the most tragic thing about all this is?

After 14 years, Pen Pen would probably be dead by now.

:(

hirokazu

Great, now you just moved me to the camp of "not a sequel" because that means Anno is trolling everyone and that's my favourite Anno.
I dunno if you're being sarcastic, but If you are, I don't get why you're hating on people who are being more reserved about it and getting uppity about it, to use your words.

Evangelion has always been full of things that are ambiguous and never fully explained. Applying Occam's Razor to a fictional world where any sort of crazy thing is possible is a bit nonsensical. Instead, apply it to the context of the creation of films, and it's not a hard stretch to imagine things being thrown in there as allusions or hinted at deliberately to encourage this sort of speculation.

As I've pointed out, people seem to have embraced their confirmation bias when it comes to this sequel idea even though realistically, a lot of the supporting evidence is ambiguous and can be interpreted differently. Just because a lot of it isn't thoroughly explained doesn't mean it begs for a thorough explanation. Asking for proof that it isn't a direct sequel is like asking for proof UFOs don't exist.

I'm also not disclaiming or brushing off several things that support the sequel theory, such as much of Kaworu's dialogue in the films, the stain on the moon, etc. To me, all that just says "it could be a sequel, but it might not, we don't know." Again, my point isn't to attack those who belief in the idea, I'm just stating my point that throwing out the "we don't know" part at this stage seems rather hasty to me.

MechaX

Well, he was out of the picture for 14 years and responsible for initiating the 3rd impact. I can see why she'd be upset.

Yeah, but him being gone for 14 years really wasn't his fault (seems like Gendou couldn't even be assed to reconstruct him) and I think the entire fall-out of the 3rd Impact could have been avoided if someone actually told him that saving Rei would trigger it (at the very least, I'm surprised Ritsuko or Misato didn't tell him about that little detail when he fought Zeruel).

Shinji is many things, but in this movie, I kinda feel bad for him.

hirokazu

Not sure why Misato would be hating. She basically told Shinji to do it for himself and not worry about others when he tries save Rei and caused 3rd Impact.

kewlmyc

Not sure why Misato would be hating. She basically told Shinji to do it for himself and not worry about others when he tries save Rei and caused 3rd Impact.

Exactly what I said. She's coming off as hypocritical. How was Shinji supposed to know that he would cause the end of the world?

raven777

Exactly what I said. She's coming off as hypocritical. How was Shinji supposed to know that he would cause the end of the world?

yea this is thing I don't get. From what I read Misato seems changed a lot. Also Asuka changed. Asuka's hate toward Shinji seems too much (its not her usual tsundere).

Zeroth

Well, technically Misato told him to do what he wants, not that he should trigger the Third Impact. Considering how the Second Impact scarred her, it's understandable that event left her in bad terms with Shinji, specially when his whole attitude during that scene was "forget the world I will save Rei!"

That last bit may be what pissed people the most about Shinji. Whatever he intended to trigger the Third Impact or not is irrelevant, it was his desire that ultimately brought it to life.

B.K.

Maybe she doesn't really hate him. Maybe she just feels bitter and guilty over what happened. Third Impact was partially her fault, too.

Zeroth

Maybe she doesn't really hate him. Maybe she just feels bitter and guilty over what happened. Third Impact was partially her fault, too.

It's also worth noting she had the chance to kill Shinji during a point in the movie, but hesitated.

Apparently she eventually pulled the trigger, but that resulted in Kaworu's dead, and it only happened because they were starting the Fourth Impact.

MechaX

Well, technically Misato told him to do what he wants, not that he should trigger the Third Impact. Considering how the Second Impact scarred her, it's understandable that event left her in bad terms with Shinji, specially when his whole attitude during that scene was "forget the world I will save Rei!"

That last bit may be what pissed people the most about Shinji. Whatever he intended to trigger the Third Impact or not is irrelevant, it was his desire that ultimately brought it to life.

But that last part is slightly out of context; Shinji was saying that he did not care what happened to him in the same breath as him not caring what happened to the world when Ritsuko tried to warn him that pushing EVA-01 to that kind of power would cost him his human form. Shinji's statement was more a heat of the moment kind of thing with his intent being more along the lines of "fuck what happens to myself, I'm saving Rei" as opposed to "I'm going to save Rei and will not care if it destroys humanity." And Misato egging him on regardless would be hypocritical if she knew that 3rd Impact was inevitable and if she didn't, her hate on Shinji would be unjustifiable under the circumstances.

Even if Shinji's own intent didn't matter, Misato especially wouldn't have much of a reason to be angry at him for something that he was egged into doing something which he had no real way of knowing the result. Of course, even if the hate on Shinji being irrational is the point, that's fine. But it just seems a bit too much when considering that in all other prior moments in the series, there were at least very legitimate moments for characters and the audience to be pissed at Shinji. Doing stuff like this just seems like cheating.

Yah, didn't get the vibe that Misato hated Shinji. Everyone he saw when he entered the ship's bridge was of course less than happy to see him, but I don't think it was hate.

Especially considering Misato's had about ten seconds to blow his head off but couldn't do it in the end. She cared too much to flick the detonator switch.

And while Shinji makes lots of unfortunate decisions in 3.0, it's kind of understandable considering he sort of just traveled through time and is trying to cling to what he did know in the past.

As for Rei not being Rei, as the movie progresses, she slowly begins to show signs that she might still be in there. In particular, her reactions to Asuka and others talking to her seem to imply that Rei may not be gone forever.

Asuka doesn't hate Shinji so much as she wants him to grow up and stop being a child. It's his childish ignorance that pisses her off at this point.

Masked Man

I said wow
Kitakami Midori. A member of Wille, apparently. Not sure if there's more to it, or if she's basically just a new Maya.

Honestly, all the new members of Wille feel underutilized--especially Midori, if only because of the OMG NEW CHARACTER!?!?! orgasms that people were having after the most recent batch of trailers.

I wonder if they scrapped everything they had done for 3.0 after they finished 2.0. From all the reports I've read, none of the scenes in the 3.0 teaser at the end of 2.0 are actually in the movie. That would explain the extra year.

I saw the "2.22 trailer scenes = what happened in those 14 years" theory on a Japanese blog, and I really like it. I think that would explain a lot of the gaps. Still disappointed in no Kaji-san this time around. :/

Yah, didn't get the vibe that Misato hated Shinji. Everyone he saw when he entered the ship's bridge was of course less than happy to see him, but I don't think it was hate.

Especially considering Misato's had about ten seconds to blow his head off but couldn't do it in the end. She cared too much to flick the detonator switch.

As for Rei not being Rei, as the movie progresses, she slowly begins to show signs that she might still be in there. In particular, her reactions to Asuka and others talking to her seem to imply that Rei may not be gone forever.

Asuka doesn't hate Shinji so much as she wants him to grow up and stop being a child. It's his childish ignorance that pisses her off at this point.

Agreed that Misato doesn't harbor actual hatred for Shinji. She could have killed him, but she couldn't bring herself to do it.

Question about Rei. We see tentative name: Ayanami Rei (Mark.09 pilot) staring at another Rei clone in a giant LCL tube in Nerv HQ. Are we supposed to know that Rei, or is it just one of many clones that Mark.09 Rei is seeing for the first time? (She's clearly unaware of the nature of her own existence, given her complete surprise when Asuka starts berating her about being a clone during the finale battle.)

Also, I love the new older sister dynamic that Asuka has with Shinji. She's 28 while he's technically still 14. He's no longer "stupid Shinji" (バカシンジ) but "bratty/little shit Shinji" (ガキシンジ). The last scene with her forcing him to get up and walk with her felt much more like an older sibling pushing a younger sibling to toughen up. (Not that I can blame Shinji for being an emotional wreck...)

7Th

I don't get the Gurren-Lagann comparisons because, to me, the designs in Rebuild are more reminicent of Diebuster, specially in Q. The Wille uniforms, the new plug-suits, the new characters... everything is very Diebuster-like.

Blader

I don't get the Gurren-Lagann comparisons because, to me, the designs in Rebuild are more reminicent of Diebuster, specially in Q. The Wille uniforms, the new plug-suits, the new characters... everything is very Diebuster-like.

I think the Gurren Lagann comparison is being made because of the time skip more than anything else.

So is it a thumbs up or down

Thumbs up. I'll be catching it again this weekend.

I also love the new Shinji/Asuka dynamic. She's obviously been through a lot in the 14 years since he vanished. I love seeing her try to push him. Even in the final battle, she's trying her damnest to get Shinji to wake up to reality.

Also poor Shinji. He finds out Rei is basically his mother and that his mum's soul was in Unit 1 back to back. Poor boy's mind.

hirokazu

Guys, so You Are (Not) Alone referred to Shinji finding out he had friends to support him through all of it. You Can (Not) Redo refers to Shinji finding out the world is messed up and he can't fix it.

What did You Can (Not) Advance refer to?

Tabris

Guys, so You Are (Not) Alone referred to Shinji finding out he had friends to support him through all of it. You Can (Not) Redo refers to Shinji finding out the world is messed up and he can't fix it.

The ending. Advancing to Instrumentality?

Quick

Banned

No matter how circumstances play out, the outcome remains the same?

Events in the story can play out in different ways, but Third Impact is inevitable.

The ending. Advancing to Instrumentality?

Tabris...did you name yourself specifically after Kaworu?

If so, well done. Evangelioncongratulationsapplause.gif

The more I watch the original 3.0 trailer, the more inclined I am to believe that all that stuff happened between 2.0 and 3.0.

Eva Unit 06 is all the way down in Central Dogma when Shinji and the others head over to grab the two Lances. NERV personel being held in confinement would jive with an eventual uprising, leading to the creation of Wille.

It's way too much fun digging into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom