• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eve Valkyrie will be launch title on Rift and Morpheus. Rift exclusive on PC (timed?)

EddvMkp.gif

I can see why the Vive would have exclusive games (or at least exclusive features) since it's doing advanced tracking stuff. But how in the heck do you make a display-exclusive game? It's a damn display. Gonna put my anti-Facebook bias into play if this crap starts happening.

Nafai1123

Banned
I figured this would happen with Oculus.

I'm not sure they really have a choice, tbh. They're going to need to cling to their differentiators. Hopefully they don't compound the problem for us by going on a spending spree to buy themselves exclusive support. That's what I'd do if I were them.

The battle against Steam, specifically, is going to be rough sledding.

The differentiator should be price. I think they will be able to come in under the price of Vive with the CV1.

If they think they can come out with their own PC marketplace separate from Steam, they are going to get destroyed.

I've heard many people say that Oculus is the leader in the VR space right now, but honestly I think this couldn't be farther from the truth. Yes, they were the first name in the game, but they still haven't come out with a consumer product, and it looks like Valve (who has been a name in the PC game far longer) will be releasing before them. I just don't see them having much leverage to do this kind of shit.

To be honest it's not that surprising if CCP were thrown money. (e.g. Dust 514) Though they simply could have had a contract with Oculus before these other VR headsets were even a thing. Valkyrie has been in development for at least a few years, before all the Oculus competitors even existed.

But it being timed exclusivity is the most likely scenario if you look at the Dust 514 -> Project Legion situation. How long it lasts, who knows? CCP does have a relationship with Valve with EVE being on Steam with the relatively recent addition of allowing you to buy subscriptions/PLEX/authenticate through Steam (instead of being forced to have a separate account.) I'm sure they're not oblivious to the potential eyeballs and wallets they'd attract with a Steam release. The projects are different in scope/direction, but I'm sure they're sweating a bit about Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous (which aren't on Steam either, yet) taking mindshare.

Schryver

Well this could be a shitty development. No way I'm buying 2 different headsets for the PC. Might not even be willing to buy a PC one and a PS4 one unless Sony has multiple killer apps

YuShtink

Well, it was Valve's choice to enter the game the way they did and try to steal Oculus's thunder. They are also taking advantage of a developer community that Oculus built over the last couple of years. Everybody makes Valve out to be the good guy here but the fact of the matter is that none of the software shown in development for Vive would be anywhere close to what it currently is without Oculus and the foundation they have laid by having developer kits out in the wild since 2013. People seem to conveniently forget that. So I don't blame Oculus in trying to fight back with exclusive deals. But this "exclusive" deal was announced WELL before the Vive was in the picture anyway, so who knows, it could change.

If it's oculus exclusive that means oculus paid to have it that way.

Which means that oculus can get fucked as far as I'm concerned.

VR hasn't even gotten out of the gate and shitty coprorations are already working on trying to hinder the competition.

I hope people keep these kind of anti competitive, anti consumer practices in mind when they decide on what VR headset they want to buy.

The differentiator should be price. I think they will be able to come in under the price of Vive with the CV1.

If they think they can come out with their own PC marketplace separate from Steam, they are going to get destroyed.

I've heard many people say that Oculus is the leader in the VR space right now, but honestly I think this couldn't be farther from the truth. Yes, they were the first name in the game, but they still haven't come out with a consumer product, and it looks like Valve (who has been a name in the PC game far longer) will be releasing before them. I just don't see them having much leverage to do this kind of shit.

For sure price could be a big differentiator.

If Oculus was toying with the idea of including their wip control scheme, I think they'd be better off excluding it now, unless it's out of this world. Take the price cut, and the fact that the majority of early software is still going to be built around traditional controls, and use those to their advantage.

It's seems like their HMD could be superior, at least from resolution stand point, so that could be a score too.

If it's oculus exclusive that means oculus paid to have it that way.

Which means that oculus can get fucked as far as I'm concerned.

VR hasn't even gotten out of the gate and shitty coprorations are already working on trying to hinder the competition.

I hope people keep these kind of anti competitive, anti consumer practices in mind when they decide on what VR headset they want to buy.

What the fuck or you on about? They are publishing the game on PC, why wouldn't they expect the game to come to their platform first if their funding it.

Exuro

What the fuck or you on about? They are publishing the game on PC, why wouldn't they expect the game to come to their platform first if their funding it.
Well the idea is full exclusive rather than timed. If that's the case then that sucks and sets a bad precedent. Valve's already said that their SteamVR platform will support as many HMDs as possible including the Rift, which removes fragmentation cause by having games exclusive to headsets.

kyser73

I think I'm going Morpheus to kick off then, sometime in the medium-future when I can persuade my wife to let me have a room for it, build a ninja VR set-up using Vive. I might even be able to afford one of those shiny new Titan Xs by that point...

Atomski

I kinda expected Oculus to do this. They did start their own publishing and such for a reasOn.

dosnt really phase me though.. who ever gets the best hardware out will most likely get the most support and that's looking like Vive to me.

I can see why the Vive would have exclusive games (or at least exclusive features) since it's doing advanced tracking stuff. But how in the heck do you make a display-exclusive game? It's a damn display. Gonna put my anti-Facebook bias into play if this crap starts happening.

Wait... so you'd be ok with Valve having VR exclusives but not Oculus?

Also I think people are forgetting that VR is more then just the display. Oculus will have their own API's and software rendering.

I guess someone will have to work around this sillyness. Shouldn't be too hard really.

I wouldn't be surprised if this "exclusive" is just for marketing purposes and they just haven't announced support for any other headset yet. I can't imagine any VR developer limiting their sales at this early stage of the game.

Bad news. Just bad. Nothing is good with this. Let the consumers choose. Shit, my Video Card needs "specific" software to run but besides some performance issues with very, very few games it will run any game on the PC.

This is display tech. If this goes "game" exclusive it just becomes another console ... that you need a PC to run.

Exuro

Wait... so you'd be ok with Valve having VR exclusives but not Oculus?

Also I think people are forgetting that VR is more then just the display. Oculus will have their own API's and software rendering.
He's saying that because Vive offers the room scale experience while rift doesn't, so if games support that then it makes sense that that feature/game is exclusive to Vive since the rift isn't capable of using it.

Quasar

I think I'm going Morpheus to kick off then, sometime in the medium-future when I can persuade my wife to let me have a room for it, build a ninja VR set-up using Vive. I might even be able to afford one of those shiny new Titan Xs by that point...

Yeah. PC headset makers buying exclusives for their headset has me backing away from buying a pc headset.

Well done. Way to kill my enthusiasm for vr on pc.

Pandy

Oh boy, now exclusives for PC too? So people will have to own both headsets if they want to play all the games?
Until we get to a common VR standard (like 'TV' is a standard, but individual devices have extra features) this is bound to happen. Sucks for early adopters.

Genio88

Exclusives on PC? It's always VR, give modders less than a week and it'll work perfectly on Vive too, by the way so far the VR support doesn't seem so strong, but i'll get a Vive on launch

Lord Phol

I was afraid of this, if VR is going to succeed the last thing we need is games being exclusive to different headsets, timed or not. Hopefully this is only a deviant and not the norm for what is to come.

U-R

The funny thing: while Oculus shops around for first person exclusives, the company they're fighting against actually OWNS the most important first person franchises on PC (and also: the entire gaming pc marketplace, more or less).

If it's going to be a war of exclusives and anti-consumer formats... let's say i know on whom to bet there.

Seanspeed

Banned
The funny thing: while Oculus shops around for first person exclusives, the company they're fighting against actually OWNS the most important first person franchises on PC (and also: the entire gaming pc marketplace, more or less).

If it's going to be a war of exclusives and anti-consumer formats... let's say i know on whom to bet there.
Man some people are overreacting.

Oculus are not shopping around for exclusives. This was a deal made like a year ago, well before we heard anything from Valve and before the Facebook buyout I'm pretty sure. Oculus are publishing the game on the PC side. There's still a good chance this gets Vive support now that we know its coming, too.

Also, VR is not just about first person stuff.

As much as it pains me, I'll probably only be able to do VR on PS4. This news is good in that respect, yes, but I feel I'll still be missing out on a tonne of amazing content. I hope Sony is as aggressive with corralling indie devs for Morpheus as they have for their systems.

If you don't see what's wrong with software being proprietary to one specific headset on pc then idk what to tell you.
Sucks for the others but rift did pay for the game, they get their exclusive.

Ya it sucks but if you have an issue you can always pray there no more exclusives.

SparkTR

I'm pretty sure it's just exclusive because nobody knew Valves thing existed until the event. this game was also 'exclusive' to Oculus/PC until Morpheus got announced.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm pretty sure it's just exclusive because nobody knew Valves thing existed until the event. this game was also 'exclusive' to Oculus/PC until Morpheus got announced.
I think what will happen is that this will be exclusive to the Oculus Store, but will be compatible with the Vive headset.

jediyoshi

Well, it was Valve's choice to enter the game the way they did and try to steal Oculus's thunder. They are also taking advantage of a developer community that Oculus built over the last couple of years.

You think if Oculus didn't sell to Facebook, Valve wouldn't still cooperate with them?

I never liked the Facebook deal and this only compounds it. Defending the Facebook deal as merely a means to create VR ubiquity and tech is looking harder and harder. They went from pioneers to looking like Microsoft forcing their way into the console market with bought exclusives and studios ...

At the very least these boards will have VR drama to talk about.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Given I'm pretty much sold on the Vibe, this doesn't bode well for the game. The last thing we need is stuff Luke this. It just stagnates sales.

Seanspeed

Banned
I never liked the Facebook deal and this only compounds it. Defending the Facebook deal as merely a means to create VR ubiquity and tech is looking harder and harder. They went from pioneers to looking like Microsoft forcing their way into the console market with bought exclusives and studios ...

At the very least these boards will have VR drama to talk about.
What on earth are you talking about?

Bought exclusives? Which other exclusives are we talking about? What studio(s) have they bought?

This deal has nothing to do with Facebook. It happened before Facebook were ever in the picture.

P44

Not looking good from Oculus. It's hard to compete with what seems to be better hardware on top of a competitor in that is actually loved by a ton of pc gamers. I have firm belief that valve will cut similar sorts of deals, but not doing it first was important I think, strategy wise. To be honest, I think that Valve are better placed to push their hardware over Oculus' so I don't 100% understand why Oculus is doing this - they can't really get away with it, they're not really over with the pc gaming crowd, especialyl after the facebook buyout. People are just waiting for a reason to say fuck you to them.

When Valkyrie was initially revealed at fanfest I had asked a developer that is part of the team and the reasoning is that Oculus wants a game designed for VR, the entire gameplay experience is designed around VR, it's not like other games where VR an "add-on" to the experience, there has been no game that is designed from the ground up for VR, Valkyrie is going to have more than just VR, it's going to go into other parts regarding motion of your body and whatnot.

It's difficult to explain without playing the game, your head movement itself adds to the gameplay/mechanics... it's not just a visual thing, it's becomes part of the actual gameplay experience/mechanics. Even from stuff like the UI, so many games that has rift support fail miserably in usability with the rift.

There is no game with as much traction as Valkyrie right now that is designing the game itself around VR, so every decision they make is around VR itself, it's a totally different approach. Oculus has wanted this to be able to show off the right VR experience because a lot of VR experiences lately have been both great but also met with frustration because there are things in some games that had not been designed with rift 100% in mind.

It has nothing to do with FB because this was going on way before there was FB involved with Oculus. Designing for VR is a lot different and no game has dedicated its design around VR besides Valkyrie yet. Even Elite which is probably the best representation of VR to the public right now can be frustrating when dealing with the UI part of the game (and you're interacting with the UI a lot), it's a shortcoming of the rift being an "add-on" experience. Valkyrie is supposed be 100% dedicated to VR, and Oculus snapped that up to demonstrate their product and the ability of VR otherwise the experience can be more frustrating than enjoyable if VR is not done right.

Seanspeed

Banned
I have firm belief that valve will cut similar sorts of deals, but not doing it first was important I think, strategy wise. To be honest, I think that Valve are better placed to push their hardware over Oculus' so I don't 100% understand why Oculus is doing this
They're not 'doing' anything. This was 'done' a while ago.

People are just waiting for a reason to say fuck you to them.
That has become very apparent from the day Valve announced the Vive.

People's need to take sides was immediately noticeable.

How this could be? PC is not consoles - it is open platform, you can play with every controllers you want and this should be true for VR headsets too. Maybe Eve will have some special features for Oculus Rift (just like nvidia with physx), but it can't be exclusive too Oculus Rift.

How this could be? PC is not consoles - it is open platform, you can play with every controllers you want and this should be true for VR headsets too. Maybe Eve will have some special features for Oculus Rift (just like nvidia with physx), but it can't be exclusive too Oculus Rift.

That's like saying that because there is both Direct 3d and OpenGL in computer, pc gamers have to support both.

Precisely because it's an open platform, developers can choose if support one, the other, or both. Same with VR systems.

Seanspeed

Banned
Like Durante said, this is likely something that could be worked around even if the devs don't include official support.

But Oculus could make it exclusive to the Oculus Store, which seems more likely to me than being exclusive to a specific headset.

Like Durante said, this is likely something that could be worked around even if the devs don't include official support.

But Oculus could make it exclusive to the Oculus Store, which seems more likely to me than being exclusive to a specific headset.

Of course Valve won't say it straight, but I suspect that's what really caused the end of the collaboration between them and Oculus. They can say to the public all the rhetoric about wanting to improve pc standards and advance the platform as a whole but the moment it was clear that Oculus was firm in having their own store/service system, which it could be a Steam competitor, they jumped ship and made their own hardware.

Top Bottom