• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Even Amazon thinks the Vita is going to fail

Year of the 3DO!

But man, that brings back memories of seeing the 3DO being liquidated at $100 when I was a kid. That and Virtual Boy. I've always been curious about those two, was there even a killer app for either?

Go_Ly_Dow

VItA AM DOOMeD!

xW71D.jpg

The 3DO Interactive Multiplayer was released in 1993 - a product of the 3DO Company, formed partly by Matsushita, Panasonic's parent company. 3DO's console was not manufactured by 3DO. Instead, the company licensed the technology to other companies such as Panasonic, Goldstar and Sanyo.
The console was revolutionary at the time, using a 32-bit CPU and games on CD-ROM. The console features only 1 controller port, however, there was an additional controller port on the controller itself, allowing "daisy-chain" linking of controllers thus eliminating the need for multiplayer taps if a game requires multiple players. Also included in the system is 32Kb backup memory for save games.

Go_Ly_Dow

dat spec

CPU: Advanced RISC Machines 32-bit 12.5Mhz RISC CPU (ARM60)
Resolution: 640 pixels x 480 pixels, 16.7 million colours
Video Co-processors: 2 x Accelerated Video Co-Processors @ 25MHz producing 9-16 million REAL pixels per second (36-64 Mpix/sec
interpolated), distortion, scalion, rotating and texture mapping, ability to map rectangular bitmaps onto any arbitrary 4-point polygon, texturemap source bitmaps can be 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, or 16 bits per pixel and are RLE compressed for optimised resolution and storage space. Supports transparency, translucency, and colour-shading effects.
Sound: 16-bit Stereo Sound with 44.1KHz Sound Sampling Rate. Fully Supports Dolby™ Surround Sound.
CD-ROM Drive: 320ms access time, 32 Kbyte RAM buffer, Doublespeed 300kbps Data Transfer
DSP: Custom 16-bit Digital Signal Processor @ 25MHz specifically designed for mixing, manipulating, and synthesizing CD quality sound with the ability to decompress sound 2:1 or 4:1 on the fly, Pipelined CISC architecture, 16-bit register size, 17 separate 16-bit DMA channels to and from system memory, On chip instruction SRAM and register memory, 20-bit internal processing, Special filtering for effects.
BUS: 50 Megabytes per second
Separate BUS for video refresh updates (VRAM is dual ported)
Math Co-Processor custom designed by NTG for accelerating fixed-point matrix operations
DRAM: 2MB
VRAM: 1MB, capable of holding and executing code and data
SRAM: 32Kb battery backed up SRAM
ROM: 1MB
DMA Channels: 36
Multitasking 32-bit Operating System
Expansion ports: 1 x High-speed 68 pin x 1 AV I/O port (for FMV cartridge) + 1 x High-speed 30 pin x 1 I/O expansion port
1 Control port, with "daisy chaining" ability capable of linking up to 8 peripherals
Upgradeable

imagine this on OLED!

Wolf3d_3do.png

8byte

Banned
For better or worse, that is the GAF experience.

Not always, but it is becoming more and more common. I feel like console releases always bring out the worst in GAF, but most notably it's failure.

It feels like people post in tgese threads "for the lulz" which is disheartening. I can see why the guy in another Vita thread didn't want to post a positive Vita thread, lol.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It feels like people post in tgese threads "for the lulz" which is disheartening. I can see why the guy in another Vita thread didn't want to post a positive Vita thread, lol.

Sigh.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
When the Vita and Dreamcast sale streams cross...

Magic will happen...

Guaranteed

RSLAEV

I honestly hope Vita fails at this point so all this troll shit can end, really ruins the GAF experience.

Man I feel like I'm back at the Gamefaqs forum...

I seriously cannot fathom the mentality of people who insist on positivity *all the freaking time* If the Vita starts selling better, great! but if not, oh well-it's not the end of the world. God forbid we get some chuckles at the expense of your favorite multinational corporation.

8byte

Banned
Just had to explain to a co-worker why I was crying from laughter.

This really made you cry from laughter? Maybe I'm just a robot =\

I seriously cannot fathom the mentality of people who insist on positivity *all the freaking time* If the Vita starts selling better, great! but if not, oh well-it's not the end of the world. God forbid we get some chuckles at the expense of your favorite multinational corporation.

Who said anything about being positive? I'd just rather see some constructive discussion instead of silly threads where people get to reply with an endless stream of "lol". Trolling just comes across as juvenile to me, and doesn't really help to strengthen the perception of the "hardcore" gamer.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
That has to be a Hall of Fame contender quote

qkrTQm.jpg
:

New Inductee:

SkylineRKR

3DO at least had support from Naughty Dog.

Every time I read it, my heart just winces more, like a dagger piercing millimeter by millimeter

RSLAEV

This really made you cry from laughter? Maybe I'm just a robot =\

Who said anything about being positive? I'd just rather see some constructive discussion instead of silly threads where people get to reply with an endless stream of "lol". Trolling just comes across as juvenile to me, and doesn't really help to strengthen the perception of the "hardcore" gamer.

The what of the what?

They're video games!

viiideeoooo gaaaaammmes!

edit: for the record there are plenty of opportunities for positive discussion on this board. It's not like every thread is an attempt to see who can be the biggest grabber of 'lulz'

Top Bottom