• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever had Sellers remorse?

Type_Raver

Have you ever had any selling remorse, having sold a game/console only later to regret it?
What was it and why do you feel this way?

So I recently watched a video that uncovers the fraud and deception in the videogame sales market (see thread on this here) and I thought id go an have a look at some recently sold prices on ebay.

I used to own a copy of Spawn on SNES, which was VGA rated at 85.
A few years ago I sold it for $130.

It blew my mind to discover that a 75 Wata grade copy recently sold for $910!!

laynelane

I sold most of my PS3 discs a few years back, reasoning being I needed money and I expected to play on my PS4 almost exclusively. A recent heat wave broke the hard drive on my PS4 and I can't replace it until next week. I have my PS3 but since I didn't buy many digital games for it and only have three on disc, I'm stuck with almost nothing to play at the moment. Looking back on it now, I should have at least kept my favourite PS3 discs.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sold my x360 plus a lot of games to buy a PC. Shit was almost worth nothing compared to what I spent.

I regret it so much. I like collecting but needed a new pc. Fucking idiot.

reksveks

Blurays?
Interesting, why bluray movies?
Not in terms of profit really, think i only had one blu-ray that significantly increased in price which was the LOTR trilogy steelbook but i think there are certain anime imports that i sold for a minor profit that i would have liked to keep.

Banned
I sold my 360 to buy a PS3 at launch... yeah, that was the biggest mistake in my gaming life for sure...

if you didn't have a PS3 at launch and didn't have a 360 before that... well, let's just say it felt like I fell into a time machine to 2001 when I turned on that PS3.
at launch the PS3 user experience was so ridiculously outdated and backwards compared to the 360 it was shocking.

and every game looked and ran like pure garbage because not a single developer knew how to develop for it either,
so you had games that not only ran with way lower settings compared to the 360 version, but also at a way worse framerate.

it was when I played Spider-Man 3 on PS3, and then saw and played it on 360 at a friend's house, that I decided I have to correct this colossal error real quick!

so I sold the PS3 about 4 months after I bought it because it really was a steaming pile of shit when it first launched... but hey, Resistance was cool, even tho it looked like an up-resed og Xbox game, it was the only good thing about owning that system at launch

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Not the same thing, but I was angry my brother sold our NES without asking for $30 (in 1999) and gave me half the money. It was Y2K compliant and worth much more than $15 dollars to me.

cireza

Buyer / seller remorse yeah all the time.

Recently bought a Megadrive for more than the original RRP for what it’s worth, and minute I pressed the button I was like why the hell have I done this.
You bought the best console in existence. Get an Everdrive and enjoy.

Tschumi

seller's buyer's remorse... like 'why did i buy this in the first place if i was just gonna sell it?'

also feel bad when i sell something a loved one gave me, i've got some beoplay H3 headphones from band and olufsen, fantastic, only they've got spotty bluetooth... but i don't wanna sell them because my wife bought them for me

i'm also thinking of selling a good $600 worth of livesteaming/vlogging equipment i bought last year and realized i didn't have much use for... humiliating waste of money.. at least they were all second hand so i can kinda ask for the same price i bought them for

Last edited:

kingwingin

I'd often give away games/consoles to people who would appreciate them more than me.

Looking back the only console I kinda regret giving up was my gamecube with official component cables. Would be nice to play a few games I missed out on but I won't lose sleep over it

Graciaus

I collected a physical copy of almost every jrpg from every console and handheld. Then I sold them for no real reason.

Alx

Sort of. I sold my Saturn with all the games I had, some of which were quite rare especially in PAL standard (Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, Guardian Heroes, ...). All for cheap since I mostly wanted to clean up my apartment.
I sometimes think it was a waste to get rid of such a piece of history, but on the other hand I know I wouldn't have played it, and the guy who bought it was thrilled, so everything is better that way I guess.

cireza

Looking back the only console I kinda regret giving up was my gamecube with official component cables. Would be nice to play a few games I missed out on but I won't lose sleep over it
Wii U is a great way to play Gamecube games on modern TVs.

Sold my whole DC set, with like 20 Games and ALL demodiscs from the Official DC Mag. Including Resi 2,3 (very hard to get in germany at the time), HODT2 with 2(!) og lightguns, Quake 3 + Mouse and Keyboard. I even got a (for the time) cool looking high quality vinyl console decal with flaming skulls on it.

I was young and angry at SEGA for abandoning my beloved machine. It was really like a stupid breakup and i was like: no sega, u not dumping ME, im dumping U! To make it even worse, that flippin clerk told me weeks after that sell that a mom was soooo happy buying ALL my stuff for her son. he did that like 5 times....

With ALL that money i bought a PS2 with Zone of the Enders (i hoped for the MGS2 Tanker demo, but lol nope, not in germany, we only got a demoVIDEO) and no memory card.... so yeah by far my worst financial/gaming decision in my life.

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Not my sale but my parents sold my snes for 15€ when I wasn't there on a yard sale...
My brother sold his dreamcast and his neogeo ....I know he still regrets today.
I sold the legend of zelda Windwaker collector's edition with ocarina of time in it.
Now I was trying to build myself a furniture with compartiment for all the consoles and there's so much missing it feels like my family... too much has been lost.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Selling my mint Lunar 2 box set and for some crazy reason giving my babbage's used disc variant copy back to my ex at the same time

MadPanda

Banned
I sold my ps4 pro last August thinking I'll be able to get at least one next gen console arouns launch and that didn't happen. I could've used it to this day...

I also regret selling my lunar white xbox one controller as it's still my favorite one and I've owned a dozen.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
An old car. It was some kind of limited edition Honda Accord. Fully loaded, had them leathers and a V6, all that, and I got it for really cheap after my trade in. Three years later I decided to sell it because it only had about 8k miles, was in immaculate condition, and worth only about $1,500 than I paid for it because of the whole limited edition stuff.

So I sold it for enough to completely buy a new Mini Cooper S, but after just six or so months in the new car I really, really missed that Honda. I still miss how comfortable it was and how smooth the ride was.

jigglet

Banned
Yes. I bought a sealed Gameboy Micro from the discount bin for like $10 and sold it for a measly $100. I should have kept it.

And I sold my copy of Space Station Silicon Valley on N64. What was I thinking?

Finally I sold Viewtiful Joe 2. I wasn't blown away by it hence the sale...but I still regret it.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I bought 2 PS5s one to sell and one to keep. But after finding out how much the resale value was I ended up selling both. Around March of this I regretted selling my 2nd PS5 as I just moved into a new house and had a really big TV and felt I had time for gaming again. So for like a week I was looking at PS5 stock joining discord groups etc. Luckily by the end of the week I managed to grab a PS5 before it sold out in one of the drops. If I didn't get a PS5 then and it took months I would have felt much worse.

Chastten

Banned
The only thing I regret is selling them when I did it.

I sold my NES, SNES, MegaDrive, WonderSwan Color and a bunch of other stuff plus hundreds of games around... 2010 or something? I mean, at that point it was already worth more than in 2005 but still peanuts compared when to the retromarket really started to blow up a few years later. That being said, a couple of thousand euro's extra would've been nice, but I was just glad to get rid of junk I never ever used anymore.

i sold my PS4 thinking i'd get a PS5. ended up buying a PS4 again. it's not because finding a PS5 is hard....just not impressed with the lack of games to play on it. the only game i want to play i will be able to play on PS4 whenever it comes out (Horizon Forbidden West). going forward the only games i imagine i will want to play are the new From Software exclusive and Persona 6. so i'll probably pick up a PS5 in a few years.

Last edited:

Soodanim

The only short-ish term regret I've ever had was getting rid of my DS Lite, which I got really cheap early in the life cycle. There were no good games for it at the time, and I got the same amount for it as I sold it for, but if only I'd known. Ended up getting one on eBay years later, but of course no one takes care of their shit the way I do so the thing was covered in scratches. People are animals.

Kupfer

I gave away my SNES with about 10 games because I got a PS1. This Playstation I sold in 2000 with about 20 games for $78, today more like $120, to buy an Xbox. Also I sold my GBC to a neighbor. Of course I spent the money on nonsense before and got my Xbox years later.
I miss my SNES, PS1 and Gameboy Colour

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
Not really, I have a 3DS and a Switch and I'm pretty happy with my library for them. Nintendo and Atlus keep remastering games.

The only things I kind of regret selling is Skies of Arcadia Legends with my Wii. I got a great price for it though. Hoping for a Remaster one day

Last edited:

joedan

Sold my NES in the early 90s for a GameBoy and some extra cash. Regret it to this day.

Not sold but I loaned my N64 with 26 games to a friend; he returned it with only 14 games while claiming that I only loaned him 14. The rage.

Vagswarm

I can only think of one time this happened, but it wasn't voluntary. I had to sell my Xbox 360 and all its games in order to fly back home from where I was living at the time, 'cause I couldn't afford to have them all shipped back.

Other than that I don't remember selling any games or systems. Did some trading with Gamespot for newer titles, but didn't mind it, despite getting ripped off. lol

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sold N64 with Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros., Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask for what is now absolute peanuts.

TidusYuna

I had TimeSplitter 1-3 on ps2 and traded it in to gamestop for barely nothing. Not just those 3 games, but pretty much 95% of my ps1-ps2 collections. I was a kid at the time and didn't value my retro games. Was always willing to trade multiple older games for credit to get newer games. Kept MGS series and my Final Fantasy' games on PS2 tho. But my PS1 and PS2 collection is pretty non existent because of it. I'd like to go back and rebuild my ps1-ps2 collection but retro games are so expensive right now and can barely keep up with the amount of modern day gaming releases.

Kuranghi

Kinda right now, but its pre-seller's remorse, I bought the Persona 5 OST Essential Edition 4xLP Vinyl Boxset from Iam8bit (kinda shite company who take your money and then make you wait a year or more to get the vinyl/product, you'd think they have enough operating capital at this point to at least partially fund the pressings and get them out to customer sooner but I digress) to sell on for profit and its finally arrived but I kinda want to keep it because it looks so nice and I do love the music.

Knowing there is a 6xLP version with all the tracks makes me think twice though, why not just sell this now when I really need the money and buy the 6xLP version when I actually have money to burn. Its not like I can't listen to it anyway on the PC or phone or wherever.

I started buying vinyls partly because I love the way they look and the art but mostly I wanted to separate my music collection from the PC/Sound system and be able to just sit with music on without having to be on the PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom