• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Zelda game ranked by Metacritic score

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The top 5 all 3d Zeldas. Not enough lols in the world...🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Qasiel

I'm really surprised Link's Awakening scored as low as it did. Game is freaking legendary. Would definitely have placed it above Link Between worlds, but that's because I don't get why so many people thought it was one of the best things ever (don't get me wrong, it was good, but not that good).

13ruce

Banned
Twilight Princess is one of the most boring and tedious games I've ever played. I can only assume it's one of those "it gets better after 6-7 hours" games.

Enjoyed it from the start different tastes i guess?

Imo all those scores are justified but the original LoZ, Minish Cap, alttp and Oracle games should be 90.

LordKano

I'm really surprised Link's Awakening scored as low as it did. Game is freaking legendary. Would definitely have placed it above Link Between worlds, but that's because I don't get why so many people thought it was one of the best things ever (don't get me wrong, it was good, but not that good).

A Link Between Worlds is legit the best Zelda game since Wind Waker (without counting Breath of the Wild, it's far too early for that).
The music, the overworld, the dungeons, the freedom, the intense action. Incredible game.
I think Link's Awakening is better too, but I'm fine with ALBW being where he is.

Redd

Agreed. I love em so much, and it was a shock when discussing with the Zelda community that they're not really all that loved,

I liked them and they felt like Links Awakening but the reason I'm a little hard on them is because the codes never worked for me so I could never get the ultimate ending. They never worked.

Acerac

Banned
Twilight Princess is one of the most boring and tedious games I've ever played. I can only assume it's one of those "it gets better after 6-7 hours" games.
You should catch a fish for this cat. You are finished? CATCH ANOTHER ONE.

The beginning of that game was unbearable, I never got through it despite being a huge Zelda fan up til the time of release. Amazing how quickly the game soured my opinion on the series.

janoDX

WW has the worst dungeons of any major 3D Zelda, a barren overworld, and SO much padding between THAT triforce quest and the boss rush at the end.

The art's pretty though and the story has some good moments. Is that all it takes to be a 96 on Metacritic?

On the other side, WW has one of the best stories and a lot of characters to be remembered. That's why even BOTW has some "returning" characters in some form.

Hell, WW was the only Zelda game where Ganon/Ganondorf has a reason to be the bad guy, instead of "MUH TRIFORCE OF POWER, I'M EVIL".

This game was the first on trying "open world" as a game. Even if 80% of the game is sea. The gameplay is one of the strongest on Zeldas by far.

I really like Windwaker and my trio of best Zeldas are: BOTW > WW > Majora's

Intel_89

Triforce Heroes is the only Zelda game that I've yet to beat and have 0 will power to actually do it.

The other two missing are the Oracles but I plan to play both later this year.

LeleSocho

Banned
Dunno if BotW deserves to top Wind Waker... Wind Waker is pretty magical.

Also Link's Awakening that low is a crime against humanity.

On the other side, WW has one of the best stories and a lot of characters to be remembered. That's why even BOTW has some "returning" characters in some form.

Hell, WW was the only Zelda game where Ganon/Ganondorf has a reason to be the bad guy, instead of "MUH TRIFORCE OF POWER, I'M EVIL".

This game was the first on trying "open world" as a game. Even if 80% of the game is sea. The gameplay is one of the strongest on Zeldas by far.

I really like Windwaker and my trio of best Zeldas are: BOTW > WW > Majora's
Well we can at least agree on BOTW and MM. No question, two of the greatest games I've ever played.

Hazzuh

Wind Waker and Mario Sunshine are always lumped together in my head because they were both clearly rushed through development. It's the worst 3D Zelda by quite a bit IMO, even through I love the way it looks, sounds and it's supporting cast (Windfall Island might be the my favourite location in any Zelda game).

VDenter

Banned
Breath of the Wild should be number 1 but besides that it seems like an alright list. Oh wait never mind how did Skyward Sword and Phantom Hourglass get such high Metacritic Scores?

Gaspard

You should catch a fish for this cat. You are finished? CATCH ANOTHER ONE.

The beginning of that game was unbearable, I never got through it despite being a huge Zelda fan up til the time of release. Amazing how quickly the game soured my opinion on the series.

You only have to catch one fish for the cat in the Wii U HD rerelease.

Also other small QoL adjustments were made like less spirit bugs to squish for the drops.

Zeroth

WW has the worst dungeons of any major 3D Zelda, a barren overworld, and SO much padding between THAT triforce quest and the boss rush at the end.

The art's pretty though and the story has some good moments. Is that all it takes to be a 96 on Metacritic? (Edit: Looking at the scores for Bioshock Infinite, yes, I guess that is basically enough lol)

The issue when ranking Zeldas is that ultimately they focus on different things that may appease different people. I don't know if there is anything like an "objective" best Zelda ever, but all these titles in the top 5 do something that people really like.

Wind Waker may not have had excellent dungeons compared to other games, but its sense of adventure is something I haven't seen any other Zelda grasp (maybe BotW but I haven't played that yet). In this sense, it's understandable many people hold it dearly and it is ranked as it is.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Scores for older games are not representative at all, which is why there's always an asterisk next to them. It's not like Metacritic has access to all the publications from 20 years ago. They can't even use the same scale or weighting system since so many magazines from back in the day don't exist anymore and the way games were reviewed was different. Video games critique has changed a lot over the past few decades.

Still, Zelda I and II at 80+/- is a travesty. As someone pointed out Zelda I was definitely a 100 back then. Such a revolutionary game. Even Adventure of Link was an event.

Also, Wind Waker and Skyward Sword have no business being that high. They're the ones who should be around 80+ at most.

Kraq

While there is, to a large extent, score inflation with regard to Zelda, this phenomenon is not necessarily exclusive. Many established franchises, especially ones which are held to a pedestal, seem to get an easier pass from reviewers. For example, I don't believe that FFXV deserves an 81 on MC, neither does MGSV getting a 93. GTAIV getting a 98 and Skyward Sword getting a 93 are also wrong. But because these are all decade+ long franchises, some reviewers may unconsciously (or not) bypass the flaws thinking that because they were excellent in the past, they are still at the top of their game today. They may also not want to go too much against the popular opinion of these franchises, out of fear of losing credibility amongst certain segments of the gaming populace.

New IP are judged more harshly, which is wrong, and thus brings me to my last point. The original 1986 Zelda is a great game to play even today, with solid controls, a good sense of adventure and lots of secrets to find. There's not many NES games out there that can say that. Shame it "only" got 84.

I'm sitting here and realising that there's not really anything Wind Waker does better than any other 3D Zelda game from the gameplay angle in particular.
It kind of had the sense of adventure point others have brought up but there's this one new entry that just came along and straight up devoured its lunch.

Still good mind you but in an 86 as opposed to 96 way.

Sami+

BotW deserves to be up there and that's really not something I would have expected to say. That said though some of the high scores just baffle me with Zelda. Skyward Sword, even motion controls aside, is just not that remarkable imo. Other games have better stories, more expansive level design, more dynamic and fluid combat systems, more enemy types, better writing, and so on.

Skyward Sword having a higher score than Bloodborne is perplexing to me. I just don't get it.

Also, Wind Waker and Skyward Sword have no business being that high. They're the ones who should be around 80+ at most.
There are whole swaths of those games that are just straight up not fun to play. Wind Waker has the triforce quest, the overworld, the forsaken fortress, and the last dungeon. Skyward Sword has the intro, the dowsing, the tears of light equivalent, the overworld, the instrument.

To be fair, Twilight Princess is very difficult to return to as well because those wolf sections are so fucking bad and completely ruin the pacing of the first three areas.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
They always get the Nintendo die hards to review these games, from what I see.

Or maybe the far more logical event is that the vast majority of Critics really enjoy Zelda.

It's always strange the amount of bitterness in terms of opinions Zelda elicits. So critics like the game more than whatever game you personally enjoy so what.

Zia

How in the shit is MM so high up there?

It's pretty much universally considered one of the top three 3D Zeldas?

And list is interesting from a historical perspective but aside from nostalgia and some great dungeon design, BotW is way better than OoT is 2017.

jett

D-Member
toon_link_animation_by_psarahdactyls-d8o1fh8.png

You can shit on SS all you want but don't you fucking dare group WW in with that trash

Why not?
Shit overworld
Simple dungeons and a miserable amount of them
Original ends on a horrible fetch quest to pad a game lacking in content

Wind Waker is far from deserving a 96.

Sapiens

U know most of those Zelda 2 reviews are from idiots in the last 5 years.

Wind Walker is maybe an 85-90 game. Maybe.

Skyward sword seems to be scored about right.

Link to the past should be right next to Ocarina in a tie.

geordiemp

They always get the Nintendo die hards to review these games, from what I see.

Thats my guess as well, you have a review team and the Nintendo guy always reviews Zelda as they appear every 5-6 years or so, they always gush about prior zeldas in the review and then slap a 10 on.

It would eb fun to get a reviewers opinion who plays COD and not Zelda....and would rate it normally, but I doubt they would bother finishing a game like TP.

daxy

Swap the places of A Link Between Worlds and Twilight Princess and that would approximate my personal list.

RM8

Well, that's nice, but I haven't enjoyed a Zelda game the way I loved ALBW. That's clearly my kind of Zelda and I want more of it :x

How in the shit is MM so high up there?
Because it has some of the best side quests and NPCs in any game ever? Some of the best dungeons in the entire series? A completely unique narrative and tone that is pretty unlike any game since? It's also the easiest Zelda to return too thanks to how unique and unlike the other Zeldas it is.

Machina

Banned
I never overly liked WW all that much either, even the art style. Just very mundane gameplay and horrible dungeons. People were worried sick that BotW would be an empty open world when WW is loved and had exactly that.

n0razi

LttP and Links Awakening should be 1 and 2... MM is the best 3D Zelda... SS needs to be WAAAAAYYY lower

Jacce

Banned
I haven't played Breath Of The Wild (and probably won't) but I would rate the Zelda games that I have played like this:

1) Majora's Mask
2) Wind Waker
3) Ocarina of Time
4) Link's Awakening
5) Oracle of Ages / Oracle of Seasons
7) Twilight Princess
8) Link To The Past
9) Phantom Hourglass
9) Minish Cap
10) Spirit Tracks

I love Majora's Mask and Wind Waker so much. I'll forever have really good memories of those two.
For someone who seems to love Zelda why would you never play what is the consensus greatest Zelda of all time and the closest thing we have to the consensus best game of the past 20 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom