• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everything looks like crap after playing TLOU2

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I still play some PS1 era games, so I guess it depends on your perception.

To me art is more important.

Something ultra-realistic can be impressive for a little bit, but that's all it is.

Dory16

Banned
Nah. RDR2, DMC5, Gears 5, Death stranding all better graphically and some of them are years older. TLOU2 = UC4 + slightly prettier cutscenes. Still impressive.
Clean your eyes. the crap may be in there.

Something ultra-realistic can be impressive for a little bit, but that's all it is.
I'm still playing PS1-2 games and somehow I've tricked my brain that the graphics look pretty good!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
acted animu bullshit cutscenes
To some might be negative points but not for someone like me, I got amazing dance sequence in Chapter 9 because of "animu bullshit" and I loved every minute of it.

Last edited:
Have you played it?

I mean, yeah, the game does have its fair bit of walk and talk gameplay which isn't terribly exciting but there is also quite a bit of combat/stealth gameplay and it's pretty goddamn awesome.
Out of principle, no I haven't. I know that makes my opinion invalid, but I'm not in a rush to find out if it's a fun game. Maybe when the game goes down to <$5 used.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

lachesis

Well, instead of buying TLOU2 - I bought Persona 4 Golden on steam and having a blast. Going for all-commu this time around. (P4G was my first Persona game, so I had literally no idea of how the game worked and all... till very very late in the game.

I like all the choices I can make in the game. Rescue mission? Well, that can wait till I flirt around other animu girls.... and maybe have some Ramen from the restaurant.... or perhaps after reading up some book on some weird subject.

I haven't noticed the gfx much from the original Vita ver, but 1080p gfx shows some character models quite strange with their strange stares and all. LOL - but still having a blast - and the art direction of the opening is beautiful, as well as all the interface and all. Not as over-the-top like P5, but I still appreciate the direction of it. Clean, colorful, cheery and all.

Will jump into TLOU2 when it hits $4.99, or when my life is too peach and need some depressing story with depressing ending to bring my mood down for a few days.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Out of principle, no I haven't. I know that makes my opinion invalid, but I'm not in a rush to find out if it's a fun game. Maybe when the game goes down to <$5 used.
They'll probably release it again in PS5 at 60 frames. And they'll also probably gift it with PS Plus just like with the first one, so... yeah, I can wait too. :p

JeloSWE

Separating rendering techniques and style, my opinion is that aesthetically ND games are at the top of the industry, they hit a sweet spot of slightly stylized photo realism and most of their games age very well. I think they have such good artists, the layout and distribution of details and shapes in the game levels are as good as it gets. Colors, materials and lighting is also perfect. But I do really love games that go for even more stylized look such as Overwatch, LOL and FF7R. Other games that have aged remarkably well this generation are Infamous Second Son and Killzone Shadow Fall.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game's a powerhouse and a looker yeah, but I still think art matters most than pure graphics.

But still, RDR2 looks miles better. And for some reason that game didn't turn on my PS4 Pro jet engines.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Everytime after Naughty Dog game came out, it's was embarassing during Uncharted 2 time and it's embarassing now. Maybe you should not play on weaker console : P

It's ND's animation that really sets it apart for me. Little things like the firehose spinning when Abby goes down it or the subtle movements of the horses. These things make the world so much more believable.

carlosrox

Banned
Out of principle

What principle?

Honestly it's just a well made game no matter how you slice it. The hate is bullshit. Even if you don't agree with the politics or story stuff the game itself is just solid. And I don't mean it's OMG BEST GAME EVAR GOTY GOTG but no it's a finely made game, it plays well, and there was a ton of passion put into it.

Opinions and taste and all that I suppose, but questioning the craftsmanship of something like this is just silly.

It's very much a worthwhile videogame at the very least.

It's not some bargain bin Burger King game, it's a finely made piece of entertainment. It's worth more than fuckin' 5 dollars lol.

Last edited:
I'm not a graphics whore, and I did not like this game after completion, but I will say that the game really does look good.

Plants
snow
water
Lighting inside houses (spoiler house I can't mention)

I will never say that this game looked bad, because that is an outright lie. Even on base ps4, it looked really good.
Can't comment on sound because I'm half deaf.

SirTerry-T

It's ND's animation that really sets it apart for me. Little things like the firehose spinning when Abby goes down it or the subtle movements of the horses. These things make the world so much more believable.
Disclaimer. I don't own the game so my only points of reference are multitude of gameplay videos and screens out there.
The animation is very, very good, especially some of the facial stuff.
Incredibly realistic and really helps sell these characters as believable people with distinct personalities...however...what ruins all this realism for me is that totally ridiculous walking backwards, backtracking animation that Ellie and Abby seem to be doing a lot of the time in all those gameplay videos.
It looks stupid, really stupid, and totally breaks any immersion that the rest of the fantastic character animation creates for the player.

What principle?

Honestly it's just a well made game no matter how you slice it. The hate is bullshit. Even if you don't agree with the politics or story stuff the game itself is just solid. And I don't mean it's OMG BEST GAME EVAR GOTY GOTG but no it's a finely made game, it plays well, and there was a ton of passion put into it.

Opinions and taste and all that I suppose, but questioning the craftsmanship of something like this is just silly.

It's very much a worthwhile videogame at the very least.

It's not some bargain bin Burger King game, it's a finely made piece of entertainment. It's worth more than fuckin' 5 dollars lol.
I tend to put my money where my mouth is. This game is no exception. I don't think I need to explain myself as to why I won't buy this game as I'm sure you're aware of all the controversy/politics surrounding this game.
You buy whatever game you want, and I'll do the same.

carlosrox

Banned
I'm sure you're aware of all the controversy/politics surrounding this game.

Yeah and I think making a big stink about it on either side is dumb here.

Like I see what people are saying and agree with some of it (on both sides) but the game itself is very good.

I'd play as a gender neutral Mario who fucks dogs if the game was amazing.

People say they don't care about politics...but then they care about politics. So which is it?

I really don't care who or what I play as.

This directly opposes the horseshit narrative over at places like ResetEra that try to claim

MeN haTe wOmeN iN gAmES.

You know how long the list of successful movies and games with women in them is? All the well loved movies, games, and characters involving women?

But no, MEN HATE WOMEN.
LOL so fucking stupid.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Like I see what people are saying and agree with some of it (on both sides) but the game itself is very good.

People say they don't care about politics...but then they care about politics. So which is it?

I really don't care who or what I play as.

This directly opposes the horseshit narrative over at places like ResetEra that try to claim

MeN haTe wOmeN iN gAmES.

You know how long the list of successful movies and games with women in them is? All the well loved movies, games, and characters involving women?

But no, MEN HATE WOMEN.
LOL so fucking stupid.
why is the text getting progressively bigger?

I really don't care who or what I play as. This directly opposes the horseshit narrative over at places like ResetEra that try to claim MeN haTe wOmeN iN gAmES.
Hey, I have no problem with what you choose to buy, even if I disagree with it in some form. I'm all for voluntary trade.
I'm not sure (or care) what ResetEra as a community thinks, so I can't comment on that. The place is a cesspool and that's enough for me to steer clear of that place.

Thaedolus

To some might be negative points but not for someone like me, I got amazing dance sequence in Chapter 9 because of "animu bullshit" and I loved every minute of it.

Hey I love me some goofy animu nonsense and I find the humor in the game to be funny, it’s more the lack of urgency and melodramatic cutscenes...at first I was enjoying it, took a break, replayed TLOU Remastered then determined to finish it off before TLOU2. Going back to it after playing such a tightly paced game with great direction and acting was jarring to say the least. I’m still interested in seeing where they take it but after watching Dunkey’s review, I think I agree with his take. Loved revisiting Midgar and the characters and the remixed OST though. It just has a saccharine feel to it overall

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Hey I love me some goofy animu nonsense and I find the humor in the game to be funny, it’s more the lack of urgency and melodramatic cutscenes...at first I was enjoying it, took a break, replayed TLOU Remastered then determined to finish it off before TLOU2. Going back to it after playing such a tightly paced game with great direction and acting was jarring to say the least. I’m still interested in seeing where they take it but after watching Dunkey’s review, I think I agree with his take. Loved revisiting Midgar and the characters and the remixed OST though. It just has a saccharine feel to it overall
I guess different taste, I actually like story beats in FF7R, in fact I love how it has really goofy and charming moments with serious moments. This is something I feel only Japanese developers can pull off and make it work.

Disclaimer. I don't own the game so my only points of reference are multitude of gameplay videos and screens out there.
The animation is very, very good, especially some of the facial stuff.
Incredibly realistic and really helps sell these characters as believable people with distinct personalities...however...what ruins all this realism for me is that totally ridiculous walking backwards, backtracking animation that Ellie and Abby seem to be doing a lot of the time in all those gameplay videos.
It looks stupid, really stupid, and totally breaks any immersion that the rest of the fantastic character animation creates for the player.
Game definitely has its flaws for sure, but nobody comes close animation wise.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think they hit the uncanny valley. I think you can obviously see the flaws though. Mel’s eyes are goofy looking when you see her in the aquarium with Ellie and lets not forget Owen’s thrusting I feel like playing some multiplayer TLoU2, but there isn’t any. After a days gone by, I’ve been thinking about it, and I want a new Manhunt game.

Top Bottom