• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVGA Announces Nu Audio Sound Card

nowhat

GPU Audio Output is just the audio signal... it is not related with audio quality at all.
A sound card or an external DAC/amp will offer audio processing for the best audio quality.
Yes, that's precisely my point. Output the audio via HDMI and decode it wherever you wish. The external DAC may be a sound card, it may be an amp, what have you. But before reaching that decoding stage, the signal is as it were. So (barring driver issues as you mentioned) why can't you get the best possible sound with HDMI + external DAC, whatever form it may take?

I'd argue that gaming has little benefit from this and mostly people interested in music would be the target for this product. So it's not a gaming product.
Interested in music is a wide term. I won't be replacing my MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid (yes, it's an old card - it still sounds great) anytime soon with this. Now, if you mean the kind of people who get optical cables with gold-plated connectors and directional ethernet cables - for them, this probably is a reasonable investment.

A.Romero

Yes, that's precisely my point. Output the audio via HDMI and decode it wherever you wish. The external DAC may be a sound card, it may be an amp, what have you. But before reaching that decoding stage, the signal is as it were. So (barring driver issues as you mentioned) why can't you get the best possible sound with HDMI + external DAC, whatever form it may take?

Interested in music is a wide term. I won't be replacing my MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid (yes, it's an old card - it still sounds great) anytime soon with this. Now, if you mean the kind of people who get optical cables with gold-plated connectors and directional ethernet cables - for them, this probably is a reasonable investment.

Of course not. Why would you? Plus, the UltraLite used to cost twice as much or something like that, right?

It's like saying that the newest Intel i5 line is stupid because I can still use my i7 from last gen.

nowhat

Of course not. Why would you? Plus, the UltraLite used to cost twice as much or something like that, right?

It's like saying that the newest Intel i5 line is stupid because I can still use my i7 from last gen.
My point was more that if you're simply looking for a good DAC, the price asked here is actually not that good. Of course you're going to pay more for more input/output channels - which you will do, if you're interested in music as in making it, not only consuming it. For pure consumption, there are cheaper alternatives.

A.Romero

My point was more that if you're simply looking for a good DAC, the price asked here is actually not that good. Of course you're going to pay more for more input/output channels - which you will do, if you're interested in music as in making it, not only consuming it. For pure consumption, there are cheaper alternatives.

Ah, got you.

It seems this has Audio Note somehow attached.

I'm not looking for a solution like this (I'm OK with a low-mid end AVR and integrated card) but could you make a suggestion so anyone that stumbles upon this can consider it?

n0razi

Complete different product purpose.

And sound cards are not waste of money... the improve in audio quality is fantastic.

Like exists people that like better graphics... there are people that like better audio.

If your priority is sound quality, it makes more sense to get a quality USB DAC like the Fiio E17 or E10

DonF

You can get a cheaper card with optical output, or a mobo with optical, a DAC and you are set, for cheaper. Maybe this card is for people that work with sound or something, but for the average consumer, is overkill/a bad deal.

ethomaz

Banned
If your priority is sound quality, it makes more sense to get a quality USB DAC like the Fiio E17 or E10
Probably.

You can get a cheaper card with optical output, or a mobo with optical, a DAC and you are set, for cheaper. Maybe this card is for people that work with sound or something, but for the average consumer, is overkill/a bad deal.
For it category it price is competitive.

You can buy for $199 if you an EVGA Elite too.

The product is clearly for audio enthusiast-class... GAFers will never buy it :D

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I didn’t even realise soundcards were still a thing until relatively recently.

And now, after trying to play a bunch of old PC games and failing to get the old EAX and positional audio working correctly with an onboard soundchip, I’m actually considering adding a soundcard to my next PC build.

I feel like it’s 2002 all over again, lol.

nowhat

I'm not looking for a solution like this (I'm OK with a low-mid end AVR and integrated card) but could you make a suggestion so anyone that stumbles upon this can consider it?
One thing to consider is that no matter what, having your D/A converters inside a PC is not that good of an idea. There is still a chance of electrical interference, so external is better. If analog stereo I/O is all you need, something like Swissonic UA-2x2 is a reasonable starting point. For a bit more, you can get a device that'll do digital I/O as well. Yes, such devices are meant more for music production - that doesn't mean they couldn't handle audio in general, they can and do.

Now, what you won't get (quoting from the official page of this card) is "10-mode RGB audio reactive lighting controllable through the EVGA NU Audio software". If that's what you need in your life, then I guess your options are limited.

People are passionate about their PC components. I respect the hustle.

I haven’t used a sound card in years but maybe I need to get back into the game. I typically just use a decent stereo speaker tho

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
The actual troll here is eVGA. This card doesn't support Dolby Digital Live, DTS Connect, etc. so you'll still get 2.1 for a lot of content. It's trash. It's $250 and they couldn't even pay the fucking Dolby license. Great deal!
Too proud to admit you didn't know the term and were just blabbing, huh?

I ponder sometimes if you even enjoy your offline life.

Now, what you won't get (quoting from the official page of this card) is "10-mode RGB audio reactive lighting controllable through the EVGA NU Audio software". If that's what you need in your life, then I guess your options are limited.
Eh, I'd argue that this card still has reason to exist for you if you are someone who buys their music from Hi-Res sources, especially DSD formats, because this card supports DSD (pretty much SACD in digital form) natively and that is something we haven't had on sound cards before, you could only get it on very high-end $300+ mainboards.

This is actually one of the main selling points. So getting this card might save you some bucks on your next Mainboard purchase, if you're rocking a big DSD collection and you were buying expensive mainboards for the native DSD support. Either way it is very niche and most of us here are perfectly fine with using onboard sound, which has also gotten ridiculously good over the past years.

ethomaz

Banned
What are the specs? Does it have audiofile grade converters.
Specifications:
  • Audio DSP:
  • XMOS xCORE-200
  • Native DSD Support (up to x256)
  • Output Configuration:
  • 2 Channel (Analog)
  • 5.1 Channel (Digital via S/PDIF)
  • Dynamic Range (DNR) / Signal-to-Noise (SNR):
  • 123dB (Stereo Playback)
  • 121dB (Line-In Recording)
  • Playback Format:
  • Up to 384kHz, 32bit (Stereo)
  • Up to 192kHz, 24bit (Optical)
  • Headphone Amp:
  • 16-600ohm (Independent Analog Control)
  • Maximum Voltage:
  • 8Vrms
  • Maximum Current:
  • 250mA
  • Recording Format:
  • Up to 384kHz, 32bit (Line-In)
  • Up to 192kHz, 24bit (Mic-In)
  • RGB Lighting:
  • 10 - Mode w/ Audio Reactive Lighting
  • I/O:
  • Stereo Out (RCA L/R)
  • Headphone Out (6.3mm)
  • Line-In (3.5mm)
  • Mic-In (3.5mm)
  • Optical Out (TOSLINK Passthrough)
  • Front Panel Header
  • Premium Components:
  • DAC - AKM AK4493
  • ADC - AKM AK5572
  • OP-AMP (Headphone) - ADI OP275
  • OP-AMP (Line Out) - ADI AD8056
  • Capacitors - WIMA, Audio Note(UK), Nichicon
  • Power Regulators - Texas Instruments TPS7A47/TPS7A33 ultralow-noise power solution
  • Switchable OP-AMPs:
  • Headphone, Line out
  • Interface:
  • PCIe x1 Gen2
  • Power Connector:
  • 1x SATA Power
  • Supported OS:
  • Windows 10, 8.1, 7

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I use a Music Streamer II+ for my PC and optical into a FiiO D3 for my One X, feeding either to my Schiit Asgard (for Mad Dog headphones w/ Alpha Pads) or Swan M200MkIIIs (speakers) although those can easily be a bit much since I'm in an apartment. I don't understand the appeal of having your audio inside your PC these days.

Top Bottom