• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070/1060 BIOS Update

Zackat

Well my card seems to run about 10 degrees cooler with this bios update so there's that..

mine is running significantly cooler with it.

I am still debating if I want to RMA it or not

Edit: actually now that I look at it, it is about 10 degrees or so which is nice. so same as you are seeing

Klotera

So, I ran the update.exe and hit "y" to confirm and it seems to just be sitting there. No feedback or anything. Been a while, so I'm wondering if it is actually doing anything. Should I be expecting feedback in the window? I'm guessing it shouldn't take this long, but afraid to kill the executable.

Zackat

So, I ran the update.exe and hit "y" to confirm and it seems to just be sitting there. No feedback or anything. Been a while, so I'm wondering if it is actually doing anything. Should I be expecting feedback in the window? I'm guessing it shouldn't take this long, but afraid to kill the executable.

did it close the cmd window? If so it did it. Just restart and it should be good I think.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
There's so many words here and so much effort being put in to fix it, but I still have no idea how much I actually care. I'll do the BIOS flash cause it can only improve my GPU but otherwise, I can't even really tell if this is a big deal or not.

Jedi2016

I didn't even know this was a thing until I found an offhand remark about it on Reddit earlier today. I've never had any heat problems with my card, but I have been using a custom fan curve since day one, so it's always run pretty cool. I might do the BIOS update at some point, but if I'm using a custom fan curve it probably won't affect anything anyway.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How do I RMA? I'm not seeing the information on that site.

Didn't know about this either and I too have a 1070 evga superclocked card. I think people said those were affected too? Never noticed anything but I'll do the update to be safe.

There's so many words here and so much effort being put in to fix it, but I still have no idea how much I actually care. I'll do the BIOS flash cause it can only improve my GPU but otherwise, I can't even really tell if this is a big deal or not.

depends on which version of the card you own, how long ago you purchased it and whether or not you had a custom fan curve. if you had it since launch with no custom fan curves and gamed + overclocked heavily id suggest sending it in for RMA because of the potential possibility of a shortened life on the hardware.

for anyone that might know.. i own a corsair air 540 with several fans throughout the case. does that put me below risk?

TheSeks

register your card on EVGA and just open a support ticket would be my best guess.

Alright. Apparently my part-number is 06G-P4-6161-KR. That's not on the site. I don't have to worry about this after all?

Zackat

Alright. Apparently my part-number is 06G-P4-6161-KR. That's not on the site. I don't have to worry about this after all?

Yeah if the card isn't there most likely. It is just the ones that have an ACX 3.0 cooler I believe. It will probably say it on the box if you have it sitting around. Looks like that card came in either 2.0 or 3.0, so you may be fine.

edit: yeah yours is 2.0 so no problems I think

I have the same card. No bios update for it yet and not eligible for the thermal mod. There doesn't seem to be any issues with this card. It's also using ACX 2.0 fan

JBwB

Just updated the bios for my 1080. Thanks for the heads up!

That thermal pad installation video will also certainly come in handy once I get them. My request for thermal pads is currently at "awaiting shipment".

TheSeks

I have the same card. No bios update for it yet and not eligible for the thermal mod. There doesn't seem to be any issues with this card.

Lemme know if that changes, I'll go through the hassle of RMA'ing it if I have to. Otherwise I won't worry about it. It does run a bit faster than my 760 did, but I figured that was just more power/intake and didn't really worry since it's not like setting my house on fire or melting my face.

Iced

I'll wait for more feedback on the whole $1 hold thing before I request an RMA. If it's true I'll totally do it, because even if I somehow never get that dollar back, who cares? Full price is much harder to swallow though.

Updated my BIOS on my 1080 FTW. I looked at those Thermal Pad instructions and I don't think I want to be dealing with that. I know they're not required but I opened a ticket anyway to verify they'll install them if I RMA it.

If they do I'll probably just swap it out.

Hari Seldon

I have a 1080 FTW, part 08G-P4-6286-KR. It says it has the BIOS update for the primary one. There is a physical switch on the card? Does it default to primary or do I have to crack my PC open to check?

Just going to return it to Fry's. Geez. Going to stick to my 770 GTX until a sale comes along again.

Would update day BIOS or RMA. Seems simple enough, registered on website... don't think I can ever trust EVGA again.

low-G

Need some statistics on fan speed RPMs and noise levels while idle & load...

Like I said in the other thread, this has gotta be a really aggressive fan curve to help with a unit that isn't even in contact with the HSF. Like turning your case fans up to cool a CPU with no thermal paste.

Atilac

GP107 is Pascal, note the P in GP107. It's built on a different process than the rest of Pascal family, yes, but this isn't an issue of process or even Pascal, it's an issue of EVGA's badly engineered cooling solution.

my 1050 is from evga :(

I bought a 1080 FTW in May but never opened the box. Should I just send it back to them to get a new one with the updated BIOS and thermal pads?

Phionoxx

Should probably do this just to be safe but I am in the group of those who have been using a custom fan curve that is more aggressive through Afterburner from Day 1 using my 1070. Temperatures haven't ever been a problem with the card.

low-G

Should probably do this just to be safe but I am in the group of those who have been using a custom fan curve that is more aggressive through Afterburner from Day 1 using my 1070. Temperatures haven't ever been a problem with the card.

Except the part that gets too hot doesn't have a temp sensor and has its heat capped by the backplate, instead of conducted.

Werd

The RMA is free shipping (with the option to pay for faster) correct? I've had my 1070 SC for about five weeks, if the RMAs are refurbs than I could get one that's been more heavily used.. eh..

Anyone notice if the fan is noticeably louder now? It's essentially just turning them up under use right?

Klotera

Update on my situation, in case it helps anyone. I left it for a while and it just sat there with a blinking cursor, no feedback or anything. So, reluctantly, I killed the processs and restarted to make sure it hadn't screwed up my BIOS. Luckily, it came back up successfully, but the BIOS was not updated.

So, I booted into safe mode before trying again. I also moved the executable to my C drive instead of running it off my D drive (which hopefully shouldn't make a difference, but just in case something in there was hardcoded to use C). Doing that, it ran in a couple seconds, I rebooted, and my BIOS is updated.

How can you tell if the bios has been updated? I ran the program and it closed, I restarted without an issue so I assume it worked?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Installed the BIOS update for my 1070 and it's actually running warmer than before. About 2-3 degrees when idling.

Might just RMA it.

Koeta

Yes, I confirmed with the rep that it is not for the full card amount. Checked with Chase and only see a pending $1 charge from EVGA.

He also added that replacement cards for RMA should start shipping out next week.

Oh really? I might RMA mine if it's not going to need the full amount on hold, with Black Friday and Cyber Monday can't really put $450 in limbo lol

Zackat

What have they done to fix this problem on the RMA cards they are sending out? Do they just have the thermal pads already in?

Top Bottom