• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evidence of Afterlife, Says Radiation Oncologist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowley

danwarb said:
Long-term memory definitely exists in the brain, we can see its structure change as it learns new things.

Whatever comes after death, I'm pretty sure it isn't anything like 'life' for the individual, since all of our senses are part of our bodies and need to be processed by our living brains.

Actually, that would still fit with my theory, because I'm not really denying that memory resides in the brain.. that's why i would say it is RAM as well. Stretching the computer model a little further, you bring your memories from the HDD into RAM that they can be used, but they still exist on the HDD at the same time.

A better analogy might be to think of the brain as a remote computer, being controlled by another computer over the Internet. The other computer is keeping a backup copy, while the main computer is "in the field" doing the work and gathering new data. The home computer may also have data that the field computer is not aware of, but the home computer is aware of everything that the field computer does or experiences.

Anyway, you can take these kinds of arguments to endless extremes, and it's just like any other kind of religious discussion in the sense that there is no way to prove it or disprove it. When you get into the realms of the metaphysical, there is always an answer to any objection, so it's hard to have a rational discussion when we don't know what kinds of limitations might exist..

For example your explanation about the bodies senses could easily be explained if our entire physical existence is specifically designed by an intelligent creator to mimic the sensory experience we have in pure spirit form.

way more

Krowley said:
It was this kind of thinking that made scientists so slow to believe in ideas like continental drift.

Continental drift is a great example actually because there was tons of very strong circumstantial evidence supporting the idea, but for many decades scientists acted like anybody who believed in it were total crackpots. The level of disbelief went well beyond healthy skepticism into the realm of outright illogical denial. NDE's aren't quite as bad because the evidence isn't nearly as strong, but it's strong enough to be interesting.

Continental drift was one of an infinite amount of theories ranging from the backs of turtles to a fixed and immovable earth. In the end it was the theory with the most evidence that won out.

Your theory is again just one of an infinite amount of theories but it falls into the "backs of turtles," spectrum.

Pimpwerx said:
Can we establish that anyone clinging to any shred of hope of this article being true is taking the creationist/religious view of things? I can't mesh any of this nonsense with science fact. PEACE.
I'm not religious in any way, and never have been. that doesn't mean I can say without a doubt that this type of scenario isn't at least possible.

way more

Krowley said:
Actually, that would still fit with my theory, because I'm not really denying that memory resides in the brain.. that's why i would say it is RAM as well. Stretching the computer model a little further, you bring your memories from the HDD into RAM that they can be used, but they still exist on the HDD at the same time.

A better analogy might be to think of the brain as a remote computer, being controlled by another computer over the Internet. The other computer is keeping a backup copy, while the main computer is "in the field" doing the work and gathering new data. The home computer may also have data that the field computer is not aware of, but the home computer is aware of everything that the field computer does or experiences.

Anyway, you can take these kinds of arguments to endless extremes, and it's just like any other kind of religious discussion in the sense that there is no way to prove it or disprove it. When you get into the realms of the metaphysical, there is always an answer to any objection, so it's hard to have a rational discussion when we don't know what kinds of limitations might exist..

For example your explanation about the bodies senses could easily be explained if our entire physical existence is specifically designed by an intelligent creator to mimic the sensory experience we have in pure spirit form.

This is what consciousness is. Your model of a computer aligns with most theories of how the brain operates such as stimuli and inputs reacting with neurons to form a thought processes. Where you lose credence is when you add the mystical aspect.

It's the same problem with people who say that god has a hand in evolution. The biologist is saying 1 + 1 = 2. The person interjecting God is saying 1 + 1 +(God) = 2 + (God.) It's adding superfluous aspects.

Why come up with the theory of the remote computer? Why is it necessary? Your computer theory would work just as well calling the experiences corrupted data and simplifies the outside aspect.

mac said:
This is what consciousness is. Your model of a computer aligns with most theories of how the brain operates such as stimuli and inputs reacting with neurons to form a thought processes. Where you lose credence is when you add the mystical aspect.

It's the same problem with people who say that god has a hand in evolution. The biologist is saying 1 + 1 = 2. The person interjecting God is saying 1 + 1 +(God) = 2 + (God.) It's adding superfluous aspects.

Why come up with the theory of the remote computer? Why is it necessary?

Basically, he is saying that your conscious is backed up in a air conditioned server room in Iowa for some reason.

OH SHIT! Field of Dreams was right, Heaven is in Iowa, just not in a corn field!

racerx

Banned
theJwac said:
Reincarnation != afterlife in the context of the OP post. People who claim to be reincarnated are either lying or delusional.

You bring up an excellent point about not remembering anything prior to being 3 years old. Of course, there is no afterlife, but you've made it clear that I'm the wrong person to try to explain why they believe so. Thankfully, the afterlife will cease to exist regardless of my inability to debate the topic.

we'll just have to agree to disagree.

theJwac, you like everyone else will eventually die. And if in case it does turn that consciousness does exist beyond death, remember to look up and follow the light.

racerx said:
we'll just have to agree to disagree.

theJwac, you like everyone else will eventually die. And if in case it does turn that consciousness does exist beyond death, remember to look up and follow the light.

Fuck the light, might be a train coming to kill you again.

racerx said:

You must avoid the light. It's Lucifer, the Morning Star, no less... and he wants your soul... but he come for you, you must go to him... seriously... do not enter the light

racerx

Banned
mac said:

Why come up with the theory of the remote computer? Why is it necessary? Your computer theory would work just as well calling the experiences corrupted data and simplifies the outside aspect.

It's necessary because we need to account for the fact that people are aware of thing even when their physical body is a sleep. One of the most famous cases of NDE is the one had by Dr. George Rodonaia.

"[During Yuri's(George Rodonaia) NDE, he] could go visit his family. He saw his grieving wife and their two sons, both too small to understand that their father had been killed.

"Then he visited his next-door neighbor. They had a new child, born a couple of days before Yuri's "death." Yuri could tell that they were upset by what happened to him. But they were especially distressed by the fact that their child would not stop crying.

"No matter what they did he continued to cry. When he slept it was short and fitful and then he would awaken, crying again. They had taken him back to the doctors but they were stumped. All the usual things such as colic were ruled out and they sent them home hoping the baby would eventually settle down.

"While there in this disembodied state, Yuri discovered something:

"l could talk to the baby. It was amazing. I could not talk to the parents - my friends - but I could talk to the little boy who had just been born. I asked him what was wrong. No words were exchanged, but I asked him maybe through telepathy what was wrong. He told me that his arm hurt. And when he told me that, I was able to see that the bone was twisted and broken."

"The baby had a greenstick fracture, a break in the bone in his arm probably cause by having been twisted during childbirth. Now Yuri and the baby knew what was wrong, but neither had the ability to communicate the problem to the parents.

"Eventually the doctor from Moscow came to perform the autopsy on Yuri. When they moved his body from the cabinet to a gurney, his eyes flickered. The doctor became suspicious and examined his eyes. When they responded to light, he was immediately wheeled to emergency surgery and saved.

"Yuri told his family about being "dead." No one believed him until he began to provide details about what he saw during his travels out of body. Then they became less skeptical. His diagnosis on the baby next door did the trick. He told of visiting them that night and of their concern over their new child. He told them that he had talked to the baby and discovered that he had a greenstick fracture of his arm. The parents took the child to a doctor and he x-rayed the arm only to discover that Yuri's very long-distance diagnosis was right."

How did George know of the baby's broken bone?

"The white light" has been apart of the human experience for a very long time. Tibetan buddhists call it the "clear light of mind"; it's a glimpse of the true nature of reality where you exist as every possible thing at every possible time (which is similar to ideas in quantum physics and the double slit experiment).

I'm more inclined to the buddhist view of things as I tend to question everything including my own perceptions, emotions and physical sensations. If you think about it our sense of self is illusory because it is entirely based off the awareness of sensations that can be completely fabricated... "crazy people" for example can completely believe in their hallucinations so what makes our world any more valid?

When we dream we believe it to be real no matter how strange or surreal it is, but when we wake up we're reintroduced to the world and simply dismiss the dream and all the "real people" that inhabited it. Perhaps in this sense life is one huge dream that dissolves when our mind believes itself to be dead.

I_D

Krowley said:
If you take hallucinogenics, your mind generates completely random experiences. there is usually no way to completely control what kind of hallucinations you will have. Dreams are the same way, most dreams are at least semi incoherent, and almost nobody can control their dreaming mind.

This whole sequence of events.. rising above the body, seeing a light, interacting with dead relatives and seeing a heavenly place is awfully specific and consistent for a brain that is in shock from lack of oxygen. It would seem likely that you would see more cases where people describe random hallucinatory experiences that don't make sense. Why would the brain have such a specific and sensible kind of hallucination right around the time of death? Why would NDE's perfectly fit with the idea of a soul going to another plain of existence? There is no evolutionary pressure for the brain to generate comforting death visions. Obviously when you are on the verge of death, you aren't going to be passing your genes on anymore. Why don't most people just have dreams about giant frogs or exploding teeth or some other random shit when they die.

Part of it is a self-fulfilling prophecy, I'd assume. Everybody knows about the "light at the end of the tunnel" metaphor, so it simply comes to mind when their body is in peril.

Another part of is it poor memory and interpretation. Having been "close" to death before (passing out, fainting) and having taken plenty of hallucinogens, I can easily see how people would mistake what they see for light at the end of a tunnel.
Every time I've been in that situation (literally every time) I end up seeing a point of light on the horizon. That light makes everything around it appear dark (kinda like a tunnel) and eventually that light takes up my entire field of vision (as if I was walking down the tunnel).
When your mind is under stress, it's not surprising that certain things gain priority over other things. Vision simply is not as important as cognitive function, so when vision starts to go crazy, people use their minds to attempt to explain what's happening.

As far as seeing family members, that could also be part of the self-fulfillment. Heaven is a well-known concept, so people hallucinating old family members isn't that surprising.

Humans all experience similar lives, relatively speaking, and all have similar needs. The fact that their minds revert to similar occurrences when in distress simply seems to fit the pattern of life.

Krowley

mac said:
Continental drift was one of an infinite amount of theories ranging from the backs of turtles to a fixed and immovable earth. In the end it was the theory with the most evidence that won out.

Your theory is again just one of an infinite amount of theories but it falls into the "backs of turtles," spectrum.

Well not exactly...

With continental drift, it went like this... Continents fit together like puzzle pieces, and fossil evidence supported the idea that continent's had been drifting apart, but mainstream science was so skeptical of the idea that they invented much less likely theories like land bridges to explain the fossil evidence, even though there was no evidence at all for land bridges, and no explanation for how they could have vanished so completely.

This happened because some of the people that figured out continental drift weren't actually geologists. One of the main driving forces behind the idea was a meteorologist. Because his mind was not closed by years of orthodoxy, he was able to see things in a way that geologists with years of experience could not.

Because his background wasn't impressive, and because he could not explain exactly what was causing it to happen, the rest of the scientific community basically ignored his evidence, or even went out of their way to try and discredit his hypothesis without even considering it.

Did the right theory win out in the end? Yes.

Did undue skepticism cause it to take much longer than it should have? Absolutely.

Any reasonable person could look at the evidence for continental drift and see that it fits perfectly with the obvious explanation that the world has been splitting at the seams, even if the mechanism for how that could be happening is not necessarily obvious.

Sometimes you have to just make intuitive leaps. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, maybe it's actually just a duck? It could all be a trick, but that seems like a stretch.

It's like the crazy people looking at fossil evidence and denying evolution on the basis that the whole thing is some kind of big hoax perpetrated by Satan. That's just the creationist equivalent of the land bridges that scientists used to deny continental drift. At some point, things are just obvious, even if you can't explain the entire process of why or how they are happening.

NDE's aren't quite so cut and dried, and anything were personal accounts are the primary form of evidence are going to be open to skepticism, but some of the alternate ideas to explain the phenomenon seem like a pretty big stretch as well.

If you notice when people have NDEs they report that they came back because they still had work to be done or they just generally "loved their life". In other words they had desires for and were still attached to "the real world" because they failed to see it as the illusion it really is. This is also the reason why people see dead relatives... that's what they expect so that's what they experience.

The life review (or rather all of his past lives) is also something that the Buddha experienced shortly before his enlightenment.

I'm a rational person that loves technology and science but I'm also willing to question and analyse all of my preconceptions about reality. I also wouldn't believe in this stuff if I hadn't already experienced it through deep meditation (which is something everybody should try).

Monocle

Masaki_ said:
And here's a video for those who stubbornly defend the legitimacy of any supernatural phenomenon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9XntsSEro&feature=channel
QualiaSoup makes such informative videos. I admire the clarity of his explanations.

ChoklitReign said:
Except this phenomenon has decent evidence.
That there is an observable phenomenon is not under dispute. It's the conclusion people are questioning, and rightly so because it's inadequately supported. That might have occurred to you if you hadn't had your mind made up already.

ChoklitReign said:
I guess the idea of evidence is in the eye of the beholder then. We just need a consensus.
There is a consensus about what constitutes reliable evidence among professional scientists. If you'd bothered to set aside your biases and carefully investigate the subject, you'd know that.

racerx said:
It's necessary because we need to account for the fact that people are aware of thing even when their physical body is a sleep. One of the most famous cases of NDE is the one had by Dr. George Rodonaia.

I like how you just assume that testimony gives a perfectly accurate picture of events, with no missing details and nothing misremembered or intentionally distorted. It must be so much easier than making the effort to learn why some forms of evidence are weaker than others.

ConfusingJazz said:
Or, your brain doesn't function properly. Your brain can't recall memories correctly, and is not properly interpreting what your senses are reporting. I figure its something like schizophrenia when you start to die.

In a way to counter the argument you so brilliantly played: I find it so curious you give this conscious drifting theory so much credence.

No. Like I said, I've had an NDE. You sense perceptions become hyper-realistic. Clearer and more defined than even reality, this implies that your brain is actually working better with a greater level of cross-communication and self integration or holistic activity. It's actually a really profound experience, as not only is sensory experience so much clearer and more unified within the realm of present experience, your heart is also in a state of ease.

Frankly speaking, it feels nothing like how I imagine schizophrenia or other chaotic brain activity to feel like. It's one of the closest things I can think of to a pure, all natural 'religious experience' that has been available to us since forever. Obviously we'd like to avoid situations that will place is in near death circumstances but I don't think you can adequately judge these experiences without experiencing them. Primarily because they do have such profound spiritual or religious overtones. It doesn't matter what your metaphysical beliefs are, spirituality is just an aspect of human experience. Numinous intimations or sensations of profundity, sensed presences, moments that seem to extend beyond time, ego loss, etc. All of these things are textbook religious experience type stuff and they're all quite prominent in NDE's.

jay

How would not dying provide evidence of what happens when you die?

I almost went to Africa once, let me tell you about how it was.

jay said:
How would not dying provide evidence of what happens when you die?

I almost went to Africa once, let me tell you about how it was.

The definition of death is being extended all the time. With things like cryogenics and other 'zombie-animal' experiments where animals can theoretically be brought back to life after a period of death kinds of makes a concrete definition of death as relating to a hypothetical spirit or soul somewhat problematic.

edit: I meant to say in terms of NDE's, since it's a given with NDE's that the body doesn't die permanently.

jay

umop_3pisdn said:
The definition of death is being extended all the time. With things like cryogenics and other 'zombie-animal' experiments where animals can theoretically be brought back to life after a period of death kinds of makes a concrete definition of death as relating to a hypothetical spirit or soul somewhat problematic.

So then the actual living people do after a near death experience is proof of life after death.

jay

umop_3pisdn said:
I don't think I follow you.

It was tongue in cheek. If the definition of death is expanded to include near death then recovering from that state back into normal living would be an after life.

jay said:
It was tongue in cheek. If the definition of death is expanded to include near death then recovering from that state back into normal living would be an after life.

I see. I just meant that depending on your view... if the brain is like a conduit for some ethereal consciousness, a biological manifestation as a means of 'realizing' it within the real or material sphere (perhaps in an archetypal sense, like Platonic forms, the essense of consciousness is 'transmitted' from some abstract, non-real 'reality', NDE's could just be the temporary 'severing' of this transmission. Or perhaps without a medium for containment the projection begins to gradually collapse. When the body is revived, contact is re-established.

This is just a theoretical mental framework. I'm not attempting to further it as a truth or anything, as obviously it's entirely unfalsifiable and self-invented... but the subjective nature of these experiences points to something along those lines.

Obviously a skeptic would say to question is these perceptions can be trusted, but the thing is if there's not a shred of proof one way or another, I'm not going to disregard my subjective perceptions. In a realm of knowledge with no concrete scientific or empirical insight, even plausibly innacurate subjective perceptions become rather valuable. At least in such areas as metaphysics where observation cannot penetrate, period.

edit:

And I don't see why this should be such a logically untenable position according to the views of some. A person can very easily regard subjective, intuitional, metaphysical insights in a different way than they regard knowledge gained through objective empirical observation... it's apples and oranges. The issues they address and thus the toolsets required are both completely different. How can you apply empirical method to something that's impossible to observe?

jay

umop_3pisdn said:
I see. I just meant that depending on your view... if the brain is like a conduit for some ethereal consciousness, a biological manifestation as a means of 'realizing' it within the real or material sphere (perhaps in an archetypal sense, like Platonic forms, the essense of consciousness is 'transmitted' from some abstract, non-real 'reality', NDE's could just be the temporary 'severing' of this transmission. Or perhaps without a medium for containment the projection begins to gradually collapse. When the body is revived, contact is re-established.

This is just a theoretical mental framework. I'm not attempting to further it as a truth or anything, as obviously it's entirely unfalsifiable and self-invented... but the subjective nature of these experiences points to something along those lines.

Obviously a skeptic would say to question is these perceptions can be trusted, but the thing is if there's not a shred of proof one way or another, I'm not going to disregard my subjective perceptions. In a realm of knowledge with no concrete scientific or empirical insight, even plausibly innacurate subjective perceptions become rather valuable. At least in such areas as metaphysics where observation cannot penetrate, period.

edit:

And I don't see why this should be such a logically untenable position according to the views of some. A person can very easily regard subjective, intuitional, metaphysical insights in a different way than they regard knowledge gained through objective empirical observation... it's apples and oranges. The issues they address and thus the toolsets required are both completely different. How can you apply empirical method to something that's impossible to observe?

Consider me a skeptic. I may not be able to define death perfectly but if you live through it then I'd argue you didn't die. As such these subjective experiences aren't of death in my view and so even if perception were trustworthy it seems irrelevant if the goal is to understand death.

You can't apply any toolset to something that happens after death in my estimate, but I think we are coming at this from quite different places.

jay said:
Consider me a skeptic. I may not be able to define death perfectly but if you live through it then I'd argue you didn't die. As such these subjective experiences aren't of death in my view and so even if perception were trustworthy it seems irrelevant if the goal is to understand death.

You can't apply any toolset to something that happens after death in my estimate, but I think we are coming at this from quite different places.

I suppose. For me, even in the empirical sphere I use my intuition to lead me and I find myself rather satisfied with the results. You just have to make sure you can reign in your 'insights' and communicate them through logical or rational analysis. Intuitive insights are also often generated independent of any external (afferent) input, and I find they're predominantly correct, and not only that they give you a more complete or ellaborate picture, moment to moment, in a sense. It's like a gestalt thing. You just get a hunch, and then run it through the BS detector to see if it stands up to critique. I'm alright holding a position founded purely on intuitive insight in a sphere of life that is fundamentally outside the objective empirical sphere. If I seem at all touchy about that it's because I resent the implication that that makes me a quack :lol

I tend to follow Bergson's model for metaphysical understanding. I believe our intuitions and imaginations are infact our best tools to coming to an appreciable understanding of these things beyond our knowledge, in a form that we can 'use' or find subjective value in.

Zaptruder

Banned
umop_3pisdn said:
No. Like I said, I've had an NDE. You sense perceptions become hyper-realistic. Clearer and more defined than even reality, this implies that your brain is actually working better with a greater level of cross-communication and self integration or holistic activity. It's actually a really profound experience, as not only is sensory experience so much clearer and more unified within the realm of present experience, your heart is also in a state of ease.

Frankly speaking, it feels nothing like how I imagine schizophrenia or other chaotic brain activity to feel like. It's one of the closest things I can think of to a pure, all natural 'religious experience' that has been available to us since forever. Obviously we'd like to avoid situations that will place is in near death circumstances but I don't think you can adequately judge these experiences without experiencing them. Primarily because they do have such profound spiritual or religious overtones. It doesn't matter what your metaphysical beliefs are, spirituality is just an aspect of human experience. Numinous intimations or sensations of profundity, sensed presences, moments that seem to extend beyond time, ego loss, etc. All of these things are textbook religious experience type stuff and they're all quite prominent in NDE's.

But the question is, why look outside the frame work of the natural physical universe for explanation to such phenomena, when you've clearly stated that you don't understand all aspects of the brain.

If you understand everything, and there's still something not adding up, maybe then, there's sense in looking for explanations beyond what is readily observable in the natural physical universe.

As it is, the 'massive, parallel, iterative' nature of the mind, creates such a dizzying array of interactions, that it is almost impossible (certainly beyond our capacity to do so at this point in time) to exhaust possible explanations that arise from examination, introspection of this known, observable universe.

When you reach for a supernatural explanation, you have to explain an entirely new framework of ideas and rules, and the burden of proof is on you; you have to demonstrate that there could be such a dualistic system out there... but these NDEs, not your own experience as you describe it (description been different from subjective interpretation), nor the largely anecdotally derived examples from the OP, do much to prove even the remote possibility of a dualistic system of existence.

Within the framework of our own preconceived bias, we may be able to relate and pick up patterns that reinforce those preconceived bias, but that's not science. That's quackery. Pseudoscience.

Resenting that implication doesn't mean you're free from it.

But in direct response to what you're saying... what you're describing sounds like almost an adrenaline response. At the right cardiac range, and with the appropriate level of hormones as released by our adrenal system, we are able to devote dramatically more of our cognitive resources to sharpening our senses. Literally, time seems to dilate, our neural responses quicken, while shutting down 'unnecessary' higher cognitive functions. Hell, even memory functions shut down to a large extent.

It happens to a lot of people in dangerous situations.

Then consider how our memory is affected post event, by new information. Our memory is biased by information that comes later; we percieve and interpret the information retrieved through the lens of the present, of what we know now, and what we know has resulted.

You may well have percieved a sharpening of senses. At the same time, much of the memory may not have formed at the time; rather upon discussion with others, you begin to 'recall' and over time, you convince yourself that you had a crystal clear memory of the event.

The effect is so pervasive, that you may even recall a great deal of lucidity just right after the event, citing it to deny this line of reasoning.

Or you may indeed, have been incredibly lucid at the point of your near death; just that some other combination of brain processes are applicable in explaining what you actually experienced.

G_Berry

Banned
bjork said:
I hope that when you die, you get access to everything that's ever happened in the past. Like a really hardcore encyclopedia, except you could go and actually witness what happened. So if you wanted to see real dinosaurs, you could. If you wanted to see Hendrix live at Monterey, you could. If you wanted to see bjork in the shower, you could.

And since you're gonna be dead forever unless you return to the planet like Bugenhagen says, there's plenty of time to learn things and also to see the future as well.

I'd love to see a list of my stats :lol

How many hours slept, Shits taken, Ants killed etc.

B00004VVN9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

racerx said:

While there in this disembodied state, Yuri discovered something:

"l could talk to the baby. It was amazing. I could not talk to the parents - my friends - but I could talk to the little boy who had just been born. I asked him what was wrong. No words were exchanged, but I asked him maybe through telepathy what was wrong. He told me that his arm hurt. And when he told me that, I was able to see that the bone was twisted and broken."

"The baby had a greenstick fracture, a break in the bone in his arm probably cause by having been twisted during childbirth. Now Yuri and the baby knew what was wrong, but neither had the ability to communicate the problem to the parents.

"Eventually the doctor from Moscow came to perform the autopsy on Yuri. When they moved his body from the cabinet to a gurney, his eyes flickered. The doctor became suspicious and examined his eyes. When they responded to light, he was immediately wheeled to emergency surgery and saved.

"Yuri told his family about being "dead." No one believed him until he began to provide details about what he saw during his travels out of body. Then they became less skeptical. His diagnosis on the baby next door did the trick. He told of visiting them that night and of their concern over their new child. He told them that he had talked to the baby and discovered that he had a greenstick fracture of his arm. The parents took the child to a doctor and he x-rayed the arm only to discover that Yuri's very long-distance diagnosis was right."

racerx said:
one of the most famous documented NDEs was the one had by Dr. George Rodonaia

-while in an NDE state, he saw that his friend's baby had a broken hip. A nurse had accidentally dropped the baby and didn't report it. The parents had no clue as to why the Baby kept crying.

-after he came back to the physical world, he alerted his friend about the hip. The friend then had his baby x-rayed and it was confirmed that the baby's hip was broken.

It sounds like this "famous documented case" wasn't documented very well.

Zaptruder said:
But the question is, why look outside the frame work of the natural physical universe for explanation to such phenomena, when you've clearly stated that you don't understand all aspects of the brain.

If you understand everything, and there's still something not adding up, maybe then, there's sense in looking for explanations beyond what is readily observable in the natural physical universe.

As it is, the 'massive, parallel, iterative' nature of the mind, creates such a dizzying array of interactions, that it is almost impossible (certainly beyond our capacity to do so at this point in time) to exhaust possible explanations that arise from examination, introspection of this known, observable universe.

When you reach for a supernatural explanation, you have to explain an entirely new framework of ideas and rules, and the burden of proof is on you; you have to demonstrate that there could be such a dualistic system out there... but these NDEs, not your own experience as you describe it (description been different from subjective interpretation), nor the largely anecdotally derived examples from the OP, do much to prove even the remote possibility of a dualistic system of existence.

Within the framework of our own preconceived bias, we may be able to relate and pick up patterns that reinforce those preconceived bias, but that's not science. That's quackery. Pseudoscience.

Resenting that implication doesn't mean you're free from it.

But in direct response to what you're saying... what you're describing sounds like almost an adrenaline response. At the right cardiac range, and with the appropriate level of hormones as released by our adrenal system, we are able to devote dramatically more of our cognitive resources to sharpening our senses. Literally, time seems to dilate, our neural responses quicken, while shutting down 'unnecessary' higher cognitive functions. Hell, even memory functions shut down to a large extent.

It happens to a lot of people in dangerous situations.

Then consider how our memory is affected post event, by new information. Our memory is biased by information that comes later; we percieve and interpret the information retrieved through the lens of the present, of what we know now, and what we know has resulted.

You may well have percieved a sharpening of senses. At the same time, much of the memory may not have formed at the time; rather upon discussion with others, you begin to 'recall' and over time, you convince yourself that you had a crystal clear memory of the event.

The effect is so pervasive, that you may even recall a great deal of lucidity just right after the event, citing it to deny this line of reasoning.

Or you may indeed, have been incredibly lucid at the point of your near death; just that some other combination of brain processes are applicable in explaining what you actually experienced.

It could theoretically be observable. I'm not saying I believe this theory (I actually find it unlikely) but there are some people who believe in an EMF field theory of consciousness, essentially that an EMF field emitted by the brain is the actual carrier of consciousness. If the interior of our experience is within this EMF carrier, then after death it could exist in a state of (infinitely) self-divisible collapse (say if it's nature was holographic or something). Perhaps this collapse occurs after a momentary spike in the EMF field generated by (or existing alongside) the brain around the time of death (NDE's)?

No argument from me, it's easy to do some mental gymnastics to create an entirely speculative explanation attempting to wrap everything up into a neat little package without any evidence to support it. I hold no illusions about this.

Like I said, I'm not saying I believe this. Rather I'm prone not to believing in it. In fact I have the same problem with it that I do the theory of such people as Penrose that the engram is actually created via microtubules, tubulin, etc, interractions within the neuron. It's perhaps plausible but the evidence has to actually support that these structures are being used in these ways. And these are both things that could easily fall within the empirical-observable sphere, so I can easily just await confirmation or dismissal while resting on a position of uncertainty.

The same isn't true for metaphysical problems, yet they often have a greater urgency, because they touch the nature of the unknowable and what may lie in wait for us after we cross over into oblivion. What this causes in people like me is an urgency to feel as if I have a working model for these problems. Some confirmation or denial, no matter how small, as long as it is perceived as internally congruent and not cast into doubt via incongruence with the things I already feel I understand to some degree or another.

At one point I came in hard up on the side of denial. I'm prone to believing that, it's concise and the very definition of everything wrapping up neatly. No brain = no awareness, it's an easy conclusion to come to... but now I don't, not automatically, at least.

I don't see why that matters or makes me a quack if there's no evidence, period, for either position. I'd feel bad adopting a position on something that there was already evidence for that I was wrong about, and in this sense I consider myself a perfectly capable empiricist. I just don't see the problem with adopting an intuitively inspired position on a question we'll likely never even come close to confirming or denying empirically. It's pure pragmatism, in this case in regards to metaphysics. Something is better than nothing.

It says nothing about my rational faculties, because what I am discussing is something not readily grasped by the rational faculties. They occupy different spheres of human awareness. The intuitive sphere isn't inherently faulty but is rather complimented by the logical perspective and vice versa.

If the reach of the intuition extends beyond the reach of observation or falsification, a person can just adopt a tentative or fuzzy position. I see no harm in a fuzzy position on an inscrutable issue.

So that's not to say I believe in them whole-heartedly. It's usually a kind of 'symbolic' belief in the sense that the way intuitive perceptions are experienced isn't implicitly 'literal' or intended to be a concrete par-for-par explanation in any objective sense. That's not the issue. I'm not looking to provide concrete answers with metaphysical explanations, just that some model for satisfactorily accounting for the full range of metaphysical posibilities (in accordance with subjective perception) is better than an entirely lop-sided position predicated on a lack of evidence for either side. In some situations it may just be an interesting hypothetical model. To be able to entertain it as an idea poses some interesting theoreticals. Or it might just give you some small comfort because you now feel as if you know what to expect when our inevitable mortality rears its head.

IMO It's not really looking outside of the natural framework if we don't adequately understand the intricacies of the framework. It's only viewing the subject through a different perceptual lens, perhaps even with the aim of completing said framework.

We have to have an established framework in order to know where it's limits and boundaries are. If it's an incomplete model, a person looking to complete the model is going to try to find ways to do so.

Especially likely is a person to speculate or introspect over a subject that isn't addressed at all by the collected data. In this case subjective experience prompts the investigation into something that cannot be affirmed or discredited empirically. It only makes for bad science if you inject your subjective experience into the objective-empirical sphere and assume you have it all figured out. Not so, it's exceedingly easy to keep the two separate and recognize the different areas of human interest they address.

No doubt about the confirmation of personal biases. The thing is, if I already have a personal bias to begin with, I frankly don't see a single shred of evidence to make me part with it (nor, admittedly, to credit it), so perhaps that is just as much the problem. The fundamental reason I left organized religion was because it didn't make sense to me. Obviously I had no proof, but it just didn't add up in my own head due to some reasoning or intuition operating beneath my threshold of awareness. It just didn't 'sit' with me, it didn't 'make sense', so I became an atheist. Materialism, I felt, made sense. It still largely does... but then I started seeing some of it's limitations, at least insofar as describing human experience.

So in this case it isn't about evidence-based support but rather how well it fits into our existing intuitive schema. As I said earlier, much of the time metaphysical belief is established on internal congruence, since there's simply nothing else to establish it on. In this sense it is different from empirical knowledge, yet still valuable for how we account for a problem.

I did emphasize that we should be studying widespread brain interractions, I only implicated that if any subject of study could point in the direction of a 'spirit' existing it is probably developing a complete understanding of the source of consciousness, which seems likely to be the brain as a dynamic neuronal system acting in a holistic or integrative fashion.

NDE's are a pretty prototypical example of dynamic/non-linear brain activity occuring widespread throughout the brain, so they would be inherently interersting purely on the grounds of neurocognitive phenomenon that may shed light onto the source of consciousness.

And I do see the mind-body system as the seat of consciousness... As for what you interpreted as mind-body dualism I really think of as much more subtle of a distinction. Just because consciousness is phenomenologically dependant upon properly functioning physiology doesn't preculde awareness from being materially transcendent in some abstract sense. Biology may bring about the actualization of a sort of blue-print/archetypal/self-transcendent awareness existing in a kind of theoretical quasi-real state along the lines of 'a priori' knowledge or platonic forms.

But there's no proof of this one way or the other, so I don't see why anyone should be bothered by me holding these beliefs. Even if I was a research scientist attempting to penetrate the source of consciousness using neuroimaging or whatever. This is what I meant by saying I resent the implication that it makes me a quack. I'm able to recognize the total lack of evidence and keep it apart from my own evidence based investigations. They're apples and oranges, the issues they address are completely different. Taking a tentative position based on instinctual heart-feelings, on a numinous issue doesn't make all of my reasoning based on subjects that I recognize as observable and concrete as being inherently suspect.

As for offering an alternate explanation... perhaps. But the demands placed on that explanation are different since it's established on subjective experience. It doesn't need to account for hard specifities beyond a more general, theoretical sense, which is all it can do without empirical knowledge.

I believe brain activity will perfectly account for consciousness. I don't think it will escape our observation. I'm just willing to take intuitive stances on entirely open-book issues. I don't see why anyone should care, or see that as automatically reflecting negatively on my positions taken on more 'closed-book' issues.

Zaptruder

Banned
Argument through verbosity.

Dude, that shit is a word salad to me, and surely to a vast majority of anyone reading it.

You should learn to write in a way that is comprehendable to more people.

Mudkips

Banned
umop_3pisdn said:
It could theoretically be observable. I'm not saying I believe this theory (I actually find it unlikely) but there are some people who believe in an EMF field theory of consciousness, essentially that an EMF field emitted by the brain is the actual carrier of consciousness. If the interior of our experience is within this EMF carrier, then after death it could exist in a state of (infinitely) self-divisible collapse (say if it's nature was holographic or something). Perhaps this collapse occurs after a momentary spike in the EMF field generated by (or existing alongside) the brain around the time of death (NDE's)?

blahblahblah

You can't just throw around sciency words without knowing said science.
I assure you, if you believe any of what you just typed, you know very little science.

KHarvey16

racerx said:

Where is this documented? Why am I reading multiple conflicting reports about how the doctors discovered this man was still alive?

But the brain stays a live a little longer after the heart stops.

So surely these NDEs are just the brain activity that happens until these people are brought to life?

way more

Mudkips said:
You can't just throw around sciency words without knowing said science.
I assure you, if you believe any of what you just typed, you know very little science.

I concur. The way the fringe uses science as a "mad libs" game is frustrating.

msv said:
To RAM? Why would you say that? I'd say RAM is more like short-term memory, or some memory cache we have in our brain for quick lookups.

Consciousness is an illusion of self, of degrees of separation between the system where the consciousness arises and the elements which are beyond. I see it more as a set of algorithms, a program.
The human brain is like the most advanced SRAM on the planet. As long as there is a charge, every experience and sensation is stored. And the truly ingenious filing system that is linked to a multitude of those sensations is just an incredible achievement by nature.

I wonder how long it will be until humanity comes up with another way of doing it.:lol

grumble

The idea of an afterlife while nice in theory has no factual basis. You may actually all be hamsters, but there is also no evidence for it.

...you aren't all hamsters, are you?

Again, hyperexcitability of nerve cells during reduced oxygen flow can explain the NDEs. No afterlife. What happens when a computer turns to dust? Do you think that the computer lives on? Out brains are computers, to think otherwise is an exercise in wishful thinking and ego.

Jacobi

Banned
grumble said:
Out brains are computers, to think otherwise is an exercise in wishful thinking and ego.
Actually many scientists think computers will NEVER be as complex as our brains

Ranger X

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I believe it's possible. Although consciousness as we understand it is linked to the physical and chemical functions of the brain I don't personally think they alone sum up the phenomenon in its entirety. We measure the part that's measurable as best we know how, but there are dimensions to even our own existence which are immeasurable by our standards. That some aspect of us could persist independent of our bodies doesn't strike me as wholly unreasonable, even if we don't yet have a way of quantifying it. Unfortunately it's such a loaded subject that there's bound to be people on the one hand reading all sorts of specifics into it and on the other dismissing it outright. I guess we'll all find out one day, or not.

Exactly. Also, the common people is affraid of even just thinking about stuff. Just imagine questionning their perception of life and stuff! -- no way this happens unless they live through something that would contradict their belief.
However, on wise person would remember by looking at history that sometimes, a core "belief" or a system is completely put back into the table and changed. We once were persuaded that the wind and sun were God until we simply knew better. The arrogance and selfishness of the modern human is baffling. If you think what we know and think we know will never change again this confirms you're stupid.

grumble

Jacobi said:
Actually many scientists think computers will NEVER be as complex as our brains

It isn't a matter of complexity, though I disagree with their statement: once we have computers designing computers in an iterative process, they'll eventually get more complicated.

The point is with the essence of what a brain is, which is a complex computer. It gets information from the environment, filters it through a processing mechanism, and is then stored in either short term or long term storage for later use. I'm not arguing that it isn't a wonderfully complex and amazing organ, but it's still just an organ. Wishful thinking makes it transcendent, not reality.

selig

Banned
Okay, actually, here´s my proof for the existence of an afterlife:

One cannot imagine his thoughts not to exist.

That´s it.
But seriously, you cannot imagine your thought not to be there. It´s impossible, both philosophically as well as realistically. To stay logical, there might be an afterlife or there might not be an afterlife. But I´m saying: WE cannot imagine NOT to exist.

You can be cold-blooded and say "I dont believe in an afterlife", but no matter what, you cannot imagine it. You can speculate about you not existing, but if it comes to actually imagining it, it´s impossible. It always results in the question: "But what happens to my thoughts when I die?" Sure, you can tell yourself that they simply dissaparate, but can you actually imagine it? No.

Again, afterlife or not, we won´t find out if there´s no afterlife. We have only the chance to find out there IS an afterlife. Anything else is impossible to grasp for our mind.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
racerx said:
prove it. prove to me that an actual mirror is on the moon. Prove to me that an actual laser experiment was done.

Think about it, why can't someone just claim that the mirror was placed on the moon and why can't they simply make up fake data.

If I said that I've measure my room this morning, and someone claimed I didn't, how could I prove to them that I did. I can't.
Give me 1 Trillion Dollars and I'll prove it to you in person this time next year.

The human brain is like the most advanced SRAM on the planet. As long as there is a charge, every experience and sensation is stored. And the truly ingenious filing system that is linked to a multitude of those sensations is just an incredible achievement by nature.

I wonder how long it will be until humanity comes up with another way of doing it.
I don't know, I would say you could slit the brain into a ROM, a SRAM, and an extra normal RAM. There is most likely a separate Data buffer too for our senses before being sent to be processed, reducing the depth and filling in any gaps.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
racerx said:
well, since you can't prove that an actual mirror is on the moon, I guess there isn't one.
/eyerooll

Again, for the record, I believe Neil Armstrong did walk on the moon and that an actual mirror does exist.

My point is that there are some things that can't be proven with absolute certainty. As with the moon landings, NDEs can't ever be proven.

I've never been to France. Does France exist? I certainly believe so. But why should I? Because of the testimonial from other people who 've claimed to have visited France, from the details of their testimony, from newspaper articles, etc... I don't have absolute proof that France exists, but I do believe it with all my heart and mind. If France is fake, then there sure was/is quite a bit of coordination with the various people to pull this off.

The same applies with the notion that the mind exist independently of the brain. Read the books on OOBE, read books on NDEs, have your own experiences, look into the details of people's testimony, and you'll reach the same conclusion that I did - that the mind does exist independent of the brain.
I see your love of junk science isn't just limited to hair loss.

selig said:

That´s it.
But seriously, you cannot imagine your thought not to be there. It´s impossible, both philosophically as well as realistically. To stay logical, there might be an afterlife or there might not be an afterlife. But I´m saying: WE cannot imagine NOT to exist.

You can be cold-blooded and say "I dont believe in an afterlife", but no matter what, you cannot imagine it. You can speculate about you not existing, but if it comes to actually imagining it, it´s impossible. It always results in the question: "But what happens to my thoughts when I die?" Sure, you can tell yourself that they simply dissaparate, but can you actually imagine it? No.

Again, afterlife or not, we won´t find out if there´s no afterlife. We have only the chance to find out there IS an afterlife. Anything else is impossible to grasp for our mind.
This is the "I think therefore I am" statement. Consciousness is awareness of thought, emotion and sensations so if those things can be fabricated then what does that make consciousness if it's based off the awareness of illusions?

Shaolin monks can endure extreme physical stress because they've had mental training to separate themselves from their thoughts and physical sensations. They can willingly choose to ignore pain; fear; anxiety and all of those things which to many, who are slaves to their thoughts and sensations, may seem impossible.

What's going on here is that people are constantly forcing their reality on other people and claiming it is THE reality.

grumble

selig said:

That´s it.

This makes no sense. This isn't proof of an afterlife, it's just saying that we can't imagine not being able to think. I can't imagine the fourth dimension, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The universe is not limited by our imagination.

This argument offers no logical argument on why there must be an afterlife. No evidence for the afterlife exists. It's just wishful thinking.

'Hey guys, I want to live forever! That means that I must live forever right?'

racerx

Banned
Drkirby said:
Give me 1 Trillion Dollars and I'll prove it to you in person this time next year.

Sure, to make it really fair. Give me 1 trillion dollars and i'll prove that the mind does exist independently of the brain.

Lucky Forward said:
It sounds like this "famous documented case" wasn't documented very well.

you're right, it wasn't reported accurately from one of the sources. Someone is wrong, but who cares? The point is that George was able to see a broken bone and it was confirmed via x-ray.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
racerx said:
Haha. Well, I'm sorry you weren't able to comprehend my arguments last time.
That's pretty funny. Can't seem to find a rolleyes.gif big enough for that one.

Debating with you is like debating a brick wall. You're not going to change your views no matter how much evidence to the contrary you are presented. It's a futile exercise.

KHarvey16

selig said:

That´s it.

Huh? I can very easily imagine it. Sometimes when I wake up I don't remember my dreams. Or I can ask myself, "what was the year 1254 like?" I'm not sure why you have this idea that imagining yourself having no thoughts to be impossible.

selig

Banned
grumble said:
This makes no sense. This isn't proof of an afterlife, it's just saying that we can't imagine not being able to think. /QUOTE]

Which is why we cant imagine there NOT to be an afterlife, if you read the whole posting.

Your counter-example of "i cannot imagine the 4th dimension, there it doesnt exist - thats stupid" is actually highly interesting. Tell me: What consequences does something have on our existence that we cannot imagine? The answer: None.

It´s the same with a hypothetical afterlife: If there is none, it bears no importance for us. Because we cannot imagine not to exist, to think. Therefore, it makes no sense to assume that there isnt some kind of afterlife. At least, I´d call it non-sensical to say there´s no afterlife, when one cannot imagine it.

You could say that just because we cannot imagine something, it still can have influence on us. Well, I dont think so. For example, if we take your example and assume there´s a 4th room dimension. To have influence on us, it´d need to interact in a 3-dimensional way...which we can imagine very well. So, to take the analogy to the afterlife-theory, if there is no afterlife, we have to be able to experience it for it to have influence on us. But that´s paradox. If there was no afterlife, we could never know that, never experience it, not even imagine it because of our, in our mind, eternal thoughts. Therefore, it bears no meaning.

Of course, you can shrug this all off and say "but it´s still possible for there to be no afterlife", and you´d be right. But the only thing you gain by doing so is a very depressive outlook of the future. And when it comes down to a person´s excistence, I´m willing to think positive. Both because it´s better to live that way and because you cannot imagine otherwise. Only believe otherwise. (and im normally a very scientific person, but when it comes this kind of topic I WANT to think like that. Because if everything ends just like that, we could all die just now, and spare our potential children the fate we have to suffer through).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom