• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Review Thread

9 from IGN

Amazing

Tactically deep, and bursting with character, Evolve offers a level of nuance rarely found in multiplayer shooters.

Chobel

IGN: 9

It’s rare for a big multiplayer game like Evolve to feel so considered and intelligent. Everything – skills, mechanics, and design choices – seem to interlock in a way that’s both natural and purposeful. That it’s so mechanically rich and still conveys the raw energy and fun of duking it out with huge monsters and action-figure-esque hunters is a real design feat. Its progression system stifles it a bit early on, but regardless, Evolve is a deeply rewarding multiplayer experience that packs both brains and brawn.

9 from IGN

Amazing

Tactically deep, and bursting with character, Evolve offers a level of nuance rarely found in multiplayer shooters.
Pretty accurate score. It's hard to judge game like this, without actually investing in a lot of initial hours to get accustomed to how it plays. I feel like it's different, and fresh from your typical COD, TF, BF, Halos, ect. It's definitely a higher 8 for me so far..

Really, that's all the game modes they come up with?
The main hunt mode is already by far the most popular, with hardly anyone playing Rescue – where you have to revive and evacuate settlers. Nest, where you have to destroy/hatch six eggs, is only a little more popular and it’s only Defend that offers anything genuinely different. Here the monster starts off fully levelled up and, along with computer-controlled allies, and attempts to destroy a series of generators defended by turrets.
Even a Honest Trailers video about Evolve had more ideas.
But more seriously the monsters just never feel as powerful as you expect. There’s very little sense of impact or damage with any of the moves, and rather than acting like Godzilla or King Kong you feel barely at Godzooky levels of power most of the time.
lol
And all this is ignoring the self-inflicted issues surrounding the game’s absurd pre-order and DLC promotions. When you start the game only one hunter of each class and one monster are unlocked, and you have to continually play the game and level up their abilities to get the others.

That’s fair enough in principle, especially as all the hunters and monsters are very different, but depending on which of the bewildering away of pre-order packages you buy some of these may or may not already be unlocked for you. This essentially implies that playing the game normally is some sort of chore to be endured, and considering how long it takes to unlock new characters that’s not far wrong.

Perhaps in time new and more varied game modes will be released, or maybe dedicated fans will create much more elaborate strategies to break up the repetition. Both are possible, and amongst the key problems we originally alluded to in reviewing any online-focused game. But our main concern, that it would be weeks before we’d played enough to get a real handle on Evolve, was wrong: we’re bored of it already.
Damn, so the DLC crap did affect the overall game feeling like a chore until you level up.

But there are other problems when you get to the details, and even the mechanics, of the game. The gunplay isn’t especially good (if you’re even playing as someone who has a proper weapon) but the more significant issue is that finding and killing the monster seems so artificial and routine after a worryingly short amount of time.
None of these issues preclude you from enjoying the game, but you do become more acutely aware of them the more you play, and the more you realise just how one track the whole experience is. Destiny is rightly criticised for its repetition but at least the gameplay loop you endlessly travel around is tuned to perfection. Evolve’s flaws are enough to ensure everything begins to grate sooner rather than later.
It's too bad that unlike other repetitive games that you could still play for hundreds of hours, they don't seem to get the actual gameplay nailed down.

Damn, so the DLC crap did affect the overall game feeling like a chore until you level up.

FFS stop spinning. You can't pay to unlock them anywhere in the game.

There was I think on PC and definitely on XBO the option to have the last tier (but not the second) unlocked if you prepurchased the game digitally. That's it.

Given how people wouldn't really know how long to unlock things would take without purchasing the game (didn't take long to unlock the Tier 2 stuff from the little bit of time I did in the Beta), there's nothing to support that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You can unlock characters within ~2 matches pretty much across the board. Monsters take longer but are the same principle of using all the various moves to get adjusted to them, as higher tiers are more complex to work with.

I don't really consider that part to be an issue at all.

Jobbs

Banned
Watching it in real-time....

...Dayum. This won't end well.

EDIT: On second thought seems like it's a pretty small number that just keeps cycling. Still though, only one thumbs-up from that batch. Might not be reflective of total community sentiment, but that's a pretty terrible batch.

the gif only goes for so long. trust me, it keeps going. go look for yourself.

Slowdive

Banned
After watching their livestream earlier this week, I can see why. As they said; good idea on paper, but in practice the actual game was so boring it ended up with people seeking romance advice from Dave Scammell instead of paying attention to what was being played.

Yeah, it was a great stream.

Klyka

Banned
8/10 for me

Absolutely fantastic fun with people in voice chat. I love hunting the monster.
I am not the biggest fan of playing the monster myself but it's fine.

I am deducting points for not enough customization options for the hunters and skins for them just being weapon skins.

Koh

The high reviews pushed me to consider this game where i wasnt before. I watched about two hours of streams last night while working. It did not capture my attention at all. While it may be fun to play, it is not very fun to watch. Every game consisted of running/chasing and then a haphazard final fight to the death. I expected harassment and small engagements but the medic makes anything but full ham pointless.

Supposing the streams i watched were all terrible players, does it get more interesting at higher level play?

pretty impressive scores. I dont know what it is, but this game doesnt do it for me. I'm hoping to see more gameplay footage from streamers.

A part that stood out inthe videogamer review
Take the unlock system, for instance: each of the game's four human classes has unique abilities, three of which must be used enough to earn upgrades and unlock the next Hunter. For example, the Medic, Val, must tranquilise the Monster a certain number of times to level up. By earning enough XP for all three facets of your class, you’ll unlock the next character. However, if only two of the three abilities are upgraded, they’ll stop earning XP towards the later tiers until the third ability reaches its first milestone. This needlessly over-complicated grind feels like a thinly-veiled attempt to hide the limited amount of characters in the game.

It also means players may behave in a way that’s a detriment to the team, focusing on one aspect of your skillset when other abilities might be needed. Which, in a game that values teamwork over everything else, is an issue. Want to skip this grind? Pay extra for one of the ‘limited editions’ available at select retailers and you’ll get the first eight Hunters from day one. It feels like additional content, along with in-game design choices, have come at the cost of the original vision, sacrificed to eek more money out of the product.

Locking characters also feels incongruous to the game's design. Different Hunters are suited to different modes. Take the Trappers, for example, whose skills are crucial for hunting and zoning the beast. Maggie comes with her own Trapjaw, Daisy, who can track down Monsters with her sense of smell. This is very useful in Hunt, the 'main' mode, especially if the Monster is clever enough to jump and crawl away from danger, leaving no tracks to follow. In other modes, like Defend (where the monster comes to the player), Daisy isn’t as vital. Being forced to grind to unlock new characters in order to create balanced matches feels like a bizarre decision, as it lessens the fun of early games.

(no I'm not bolding anything just read it)

WHY, why do some modern games insist on doing this.
It's like battlefield 3 with having to unlock flares for the jets etc (and gun attachments)

Why put stupid bar filling in the way of gameplay (well they explain why, the option to skip the grind with dlc)

It's not just this one and battlefield, it's so many games. There's game mechanics and it doesn't let you at them till you fill a bar by doing repetitive shit, as if that is what people want to do...
Can you imagine having to get 150 kills with the machine gun in quake 3 before you unlock the railgun? And having to walk for 10000 steps before you unlock the ability to strafejump

Caineghis

Neo Member
For me this is a 8/10, its a really fun game to play with friends but not alone, i wish i was better with the monster though, i suck playing with the goliath xD

DeaviL

Banned
I honestly don't care if there's tons of DLC, but the base package seems meager for the price.
That meagerness makes the DLC that should have been a sign of support look far worse.

Ferrio

Banned
D8tGRgo.png

Top Bottom