• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Review Thread

maneil99

Watching it in real-time....

...Dayum. This won't end well.

EDIT: On second thought seems like it's a pretty small number that just keeps cycling. Still though, only one thumbs-up from that batch. Might not be reflective of total community sentiment, but that's a pretty terrible batch.

I just checked like 10 users accounts, they dont even own the game, it looks like if you played the beta you can write reviews

Many people for some reason hate online only games. You can look at only GAF and come to this obvious conclusion.

Looking at the Steam reviews it has nothing to do with being online only, but basically the DLC practices and lack of content for the asking price. Couple of the reviews even say the gameplay is good.

I agree that on GAF MP focused games are not popular, but there's no connection here.

Footos22

I was watching chef big willy streaming this on xbox last night.
Kept going on about how great it is yet the entire time as the wraith saying how awesome it is and how hes easily the best monster he just found himself running away and never attacked the hunters once, then kept going into the same cave system where they trapped him in and instead of fighting his way out or even trying he just kept running. Then said "credit to the hunters they know what they are doing, respect"

So goddamn boring. like watching people play tag.

Klyka

Banned
Kept going on about how great it is yet the entire time as the wraith saying how awesome it is and how hes easily the best monster he just found himself running away and never attacked the hunters once, then kept going into the same cave system where they trapped him in and instead of fighting his way out or even trying he just kept running. Then said "credit to the hunters they know what they are doing, respect"

Game can be boring, game can be fun. All depends on who is playing and how they are playing.

Klyka

Banned
So good playing with no lag - Aussie based servers on PC confirmed.

Kiwi Dropbears rejoice! We can hit the Kraken!

Isn't the whole game P2P based? And the matchmaking basically HUGELY goes for people in your own region?
Cause I totally get matched up with Germans in every game. Usually ONLY Germans.

Manbig

"M-muh DLC I never have to spend a cent on"

Every Evolve review on Steam.

If you really think that it is that simple when it comes to a game where the only mode is competitive multiplayer, then you need to get your head checked out.

Klyka

Banned
If you really think that it is that simple when it comes to a game where the only mode is competitive multiplayer, then you need to get your head checked out.

Tell me where I have to spend money after my initial purchase to keep playing the game

Tell me where I have to spend money after my initial purchase to keep playing the game
You really should disclose the reason that you're okay with the DLC pricing is because you got the game for $30 on day 1. If you got it for $60 like most players, you'd probably be at least a little peeved at the surprise $3-6 skin DLC.

Manbig

Once again you are clearly missing the point here. It's not as simple as spending more money for "optional" (I use quotations because in a competitive multiplayer game, you had better buy the other newer characters if you care at all about keeping up) DLC.

It's about the fact that what you get in the base game is absolutely laughable. If they wanted to design a DLC factory, they should have made the base game Free to Play.

Klyka

Banned
You really should disclose the reason that you're okay with the DLC pricing is because you got the game for $30 on day 1. If you got it for $60 like most players, you'd probably be at least a little peeved at the surprise $3-6 skin DLC.

I am not ok with the pricing. At all. It is way too high.

I am however getting sick of people acting like the existence of the DLC somehow forces them to buy it or makes the game a 100$+ affair. Cause it is not.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
GMG has the Digital Deluxe version for $59.99 at the moment, on the VIP deals page.

At that price, it's worth it whatever way you look at it (unless you don't like frenetic fun fps shooters that is).

Skyzard

Banned

I guess the only issue is if they make the DLC characters more powerful than the regular characters.

But that would cause such a huge backlash, I can't imagine they'd be THAT sleezy.

Also that over time you'll want some new things to play with and it's a bit pricey. That alone isn't reason enough to skip out on it though. The above is slightly concerning but gotta hope I guess, not missing this game, not many like it.

LowSignal

I like the game but you really have to assemble a competent team in order to enjoy it. Playing as a team is a must and some people are incapable of playing the roll assigned.

tanooki27

Its my personal opinion not a review, and while I'll admit I didn't play the game, after reading the (provisional) reviews and seeing that footage (And add DLC controversy to the mix) I don't think the game deserves the "8"s.

this makes very little sense

BokehKing

Banned
I think the game looks cool, but I just don't wanna get burned for an only multiplayer game. Really bummed Evolve doesn't have a proper single player, and I can already assume the game suffers the same problem with Titanfall regarding lack of content

It's only supposed to keep you busy until the order comes out on the 20th

BokehKing

Banned
After reading the last few posts I'm a little confused

I need to buy dlc skins in order to play the game or enter certain game modes?

Somnia

After reading the last few posts I'm a little confused

I need to buy dlc skins in order to play the game or enter certain game modes?

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or honest question so I'll answer as a real question.

You do not have to buy a single piece of DLC to ever play this game. The audience will never be fragmented as all new maps/modes will be free. They are selling new Hunter characters, new Monster's and skins for said characters. You can always play this game 100% with everyone (even those who own the new characters) with the 12 hunters, 3 monsters you get in the box. You can CHOOSE to buy the additional stuff if you want, but in no way do you have to.

PhatSaqs

Banned

lol this is like watching a street fighter match where a honda does nothing but headbutt and turtle ftw and saying the game is boring.

SpaceHorror

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or honest question so I'll answer as a real question.

You do not have to buy a single piece of DLC to ever play this game. The audience will never be fragmented as all new maps/modes will be free. They are selling new Hunter characters, new Monster's and skins for said characters. You can always play this game 100% with everyone (even those who own the new characters) with the 12 hunters, 3 monsters you get in the box. You can CHOOSE to buy the additional stuff if you want, but in no way do you have to.

This is why I don't get why the backlash is so strong.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the questions on why the DLC is so high (and it is much too high and 2K should rightly be ashamed), but I'd be much angrier if the expensive DLC eventually fragmented me and others away from the DLC owning consumers.

It doesn't. So, I'm not really super pissed about it.

sn00zer

Via Jason Schreier

B9bLaCoCUAAhvG5.png

Where's that Watch Dogs diagram?

Chobel

Jim Sterling review (The Jimquisition) - 6/10
To be quite honest, Evolve is an inoffensive experience despite the gauche focus on DLC it had leading up to launch. As an overall game, it offers a basic shooter with a nice gimmick, and I do think you can gather some friends together to get an afternoon’s worth of laughs out of it. I don’t believe there’s enough mileage to have those laughs regularly, though, and certainly not enough to where I’d recommend rushing out and getting it so soon after launch. Maybe when it gets an inevitable “Game of the Year” release with all the extra content included, it’ll be an easy buy – provided it still has a user base by then. As it stands currently, Evolve stands as a brilliant idea that needed to be so much more than simply an idea.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I am not ok with the pricing. At all. It is way too high.

I am however getting sick of people acting like the existence of the DLC somehow forces them to buy it or makes the game a 100$+ affair. Cause it is not.

It's just the perception that many people have. They expect to have everything meaningful in a game (excluding superfluous pre-order DLC and other "boost" like nonsense) when they buy it as a packaged product at $60 at launch.

When there is meaningful content being sold separately at launch, it feels like it's being held back--like it it's important to the game, but the developers want to charge more than $60 for their product.

It's easy to constantly have a nagging feeling that you're getting an incomplete experience despite having paid full price. That negative sentiment will probably continue to grow and grow and turn a lot of people off in regards to the game. I think it was a monumentally stupid decision on the developer/publisher's part, and I don't doubt it will lead to this game's potential popularity being heavily stinted as well as dropping off more steeply than it would have.

derExperte

It's only supposed to keep you busy until the order comes out on the 20th

And go back to after running through Order over the weekend.

It's about the fact that what you get in the base game is absolutely laughable.

That's not a fact. After the first 10hrs I've yet to see all levels, unlock the second monster and have to play two of the four classes. Which in themselves have different guys/gals which play differently. Also it's obvious that everyone is still learning, there's a lot of hidden depth. I also am convinced that new characters/monsters won't be overall stronger because that would fuck up the whole balance and destroy the game which isn't really about 'keeping up'.

Currently sitting at 79 metascore. Didn't this game take a lot of best in show awards?

Over a single playable demo from what games were submitted, just like everything else.

Doesn't mean the the whole game comes together as GOTY. Concepts and the match-to-match stuff is fine. Just seems the variety of modes and map dynamics that are bringing the game down.

GMG has the Digital Deluxe version for $59.99 at the moment, on the VIP deals page.

At that price, it's worth it whatever way you look at it (unless you don't like frenetic fun fps shooters that is).

Keep in mind that although the "deluxe" edition does come with the 4 new hunters, it still DOES NOT come with the 4th Monster. The only way to get the Behemoth was to preorder or buy the $100 Monster Race edition (PC only). Or pay $15 outright when he's released in a couple of months.

I'm sorry, but this game is fantastic. I've been playing with a friend for the last two days, and we're both having a really good time with it. I hated the beta, and really couldn't get into it. Today for 5 hours we played with a full lobby of people with Mics, really had a good time. I love the concept, and it executes pretty well in game. Idk what it is, but there's something about how the game plays to make feel different each time you hunt. Playing with well coordinated team (status grenades, health grenade launders, combat shotgun, support turrets) just makes the game so satisfying when you melt a monsters health bar into nothing. Best $28(dying light traded in after I beat it) I've spent.

Klyka

Banned
I'm sorry, but this game is fantastic. I've been playing with a friend for the last two days, and we're both having a really good time with it. I hated the beta, and really couldn't get into it. Today for 5 hours we played with a full lobby of people with Mics, really had a good time. I love the concept, and it executes pretty well in game. Idk what it is, but there's something about how the game plays to make feel different each time you hunt. Playing with well coordinated team (status grenades, health grenade launders, combat shotgun, support turrets) just makes the game so satisfying when you melt a monsters health bar into nothing. Best $28(dying light traded in after I beat it) I've spent.

Did we play together today?

Top Bottom