• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Review Thread

Somnia

If you pre-order it on PS4 over Amazon you get the 2nd tier of hunters instantly. Buying the Xbox One digitally (to make sure 2K gets as much of your money as possible) gets you the 3rd set of hunters right away. As a PS4 owner, another reason to skip on this one.

Or you can do the right thing and select option #10: Don't waste your money on this DLC-riddled mess and spend your $60 on something that respects your time and your dollar, like Bloodborne.

So are you going to cry when Bloodborne has multiple dlc's announced?

Evolve is giving us maps and modes for free going forward, they are only charging for new hunters/monsters which you can play with and against if you don't buy them...

Also regarding your top part... did you ignore Destiny since it got shit XB1 users didn't?

About where I thought they'd fall. Good core concept with its strength being the encouragement of communication and tearmwork from players, but the downside being the concerns of longevity (not helped that new characters ranging from $7.50 to $15.00, and the free maps and mode support doesn't have any ETA) and that it's not a drop in and play friendly game.

I'm really disappointed in Jason Schrier's DLC overview. It's 3 SKUs (revolving around future DLC that everyone can purchase separately) plus 2 preorder incentives. Really simple, but instead he muddles it in a way to make it look complicated for effect that could be done the same way to dozens of games.

Tabasco

I don't think it's exactly fair giving a game a lower score because of a lack of a proper single player experience, because quite honestly, there are plenty of games that are multiplayer only and they still deliver gameplay.

Not all games need a strong storyline, single player, or other aspects that exist in other games. What matters in a game is what it provides to people, and the kind of game that it is.

Reviewers fail to keep this in mind, and if they just considered the kind of game that it is aiming to be, then we would see reviews that don't take everything into account and are actually given a score it deserves.

I'm not saying I was expecting a lot of high scores, but hopefully I'm at least understood.

Or you can do the right thing and select option #10: Don't waste your money on this DLC-riddled mess and spend your $60 on something that respects your time and your dollar, like Bloodborne.

Why would you ever recommend someone interested in Evolve to play Bloodborne? They are entirely different games.

Trace

Banned
Why would you ever recommend someone interested in Evolve to play Bloodborne? They are entirely different games.

Because one game is all but guaranteed to respect the money you put into it, the other does not. You could make the same argument with The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, Persona 5 or any other game of that caliber.

If you pre-order it on PS4 over Amazon you get the 2nd tier of hunters instantly. Buying the Xbox One digitally (to make sure 2K gets as much of your money as possible) gets you the 3rd set of hunters right away. As a PS4 owner, another reason to skip on this one.

So having bought it digitally on the PS4 storefront I won't have any of the tiers already unlocked? That's what it sounds like. I want to work to unlock them and was worried everything would just be there tomorrow. (also this is profoundly depressing. dlc and preorder stuff shouldn't be like this)

bsod

Banned
Because one game is all but guaranteed to respect the money you put into it, the other does not. You could make the same argument with The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, Persona 5 or any other game of that caliber.

You have a weird way of looking at things. 1) neither game is released, so you certainly don't know how Bloodborne will "respect" someone's money, and 2) what if the person thinks Bloodborne is shit? Now they've spend $60 on something they don't like. GJ!

But the two games couldn't be more different. You might as well say "Hey man. Why use that money to buy Mortal Kombat X when you could buy The Order." Sure they cost the same amount of money, but they are different experiences and different people are going to put different values on those experiences at different times.

Trace

Banned
You have a weird way of looking at things. 1) neither game is released, so you certainly don't know how Bloodborne will "respect" someone's money, and 2) what if the person thinks Bloodborne is shit? Now they've spend $60 on something they don't like. GJ!

Every game I mentioned is part of a series of amazing AAA games with many hours of content and no extreme micro transaction DLC pricing. The point isn't the specific game, the point is the pricing structure. If the person likes the rest of the souls series, they would like Bloodborne. If they don't, they shouldn't buy it and buy some other game that respects their money.

$70 CAD for Evolve is not a good use of money.

bsod

Banned
But the two games couldn't be more different. You might as well say "Hey man. Why use that money to buy Mortal Kombat X when you could buy The Order." Sure they cost the same amount of money, but they are different experiences and different people are going to put different values on those experiences at different times.

Hey man, instead of buying Evolve, why don't you buy some Le Creuset espresso mugs?

Somnia

Every game I mentioned is part of a series of amazing AAA games with many hours of content and no extreme micro transaction DLC pricing. The point isn't the specific game, the point is the pricing structure. If the person likes the rest of the souls series, they would like Bloodborne. If they don't, they shouldn't buy it and buy some other game that respects their money.

$70 CAD for Evolve is not a good use of money.

How do you know they don't have any micro transactions yet or crazy dlc post launch? None of these games are out yet so we don't exactly know what they will or won't have come launch day.

We know Witcher 3 is getting a bunch of free DLC, but so is Evolve with Maps and Modes...

I don't think it's exactly fair giving a game a lower score because of a lack of a proper single player experience, because quite honestly, there are plenty of games that are multiplayer only and they still deliver gameplay.

Not all games need a strong storyline, single player, or other aspects that exist in other games. What matters in a game is what it provides to people, and the kind of game that it is.

Reviewers fail to keep this in mind, and if they just considered the kind of game that it is aiming to be, then we would see reviews that don't take everything into account and are actually given a score it deserves.

I'm not saying I was expecting a lot of high scores, but hopefully I'm at least understood.

When asking $60 entry, the content that's there on one end should be extensive enough to not care for another mode. I like Evolve, but I'm not sure if it's a $60 value for me personally and can see a lot of reviewers thinking the same. Similar to Titanfall. Really addictive gameplay, but that 'campaign' was a joke that didn't go over well.

There's also expectations coming in due to the pedigree. L4D had less content than Evolve, but the map design that had story-telling elements and interaction with the players coupled with the fantastically engaging A.I. director brought a lot of life to that content. Evolve's map design and fauna fail in comparison. The changing factors depending on who wins the previous round in the Evacuation 'campaign' help bring variety, but don't feel enough to flesh out the gameplay to gameplay moments.

Brandwin

What about a NFL quarterback with a 50% pass completion? Or a NBA player with a 50% 3-pt success rate? Do you think they're terrible too?

Yea...that'd be pretty terrible.

For the QB, but not for 3-pt success rate. Above 50% would be the best all time. Of course it depends on the number of 3 point attempts, which is at least 250 attempts in a career.

Chobel

Ladies and gentlemen, we have reached a point that scores are based on how the game " looks". This is some legit review right here.

Its my personal opinion not a review, and while I'll admit I didn't play the game, after reading the (provisional) reviews and seeing that footage (And add DLC controversy to the mix) I don't think the game deserves the "8"s.

TomShoe

Banned
So having bought it digitally on the PS4 storefront I won't have any of the tiers already unlocked? That's what it sounds like. I want to work to unlock them and was worried everything would just be there tomorrow. (also this is profoundly depressing. dlc and preorder stuff shouldn't be like this)

I'm looking around the PSN website and don't see anything about it. I'm pretty sure it's just the base game, though I could be wrong.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Because one game is all but guaranteed to respect the money you put into it, the other does not. You could make the same argument with The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, Persona 5 or any other game that I am excited for.

fixed

HowZatOZ

Banned
I ended up purchasing the base game on GMG for $40, which is easily worth the price tag considering it would have typically been $100 in Australia. That will probably be the cheapest I can find it for now, and will grab the season pass when its on special.

I've got about three friends who are picking it up so seems like we'll be good to play and enjoy the game. Hopefully the playerbase holds up, would be a nice change for a multiplayer game.

You know what? I have like $25 Gamestop credit. If I can still get the 4th monster free, I think I'll put a reservation down today.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You know what? I have like $25 Gamestop credit. If I can still get the 4th monster free, I think I'll put a reservation down today.

You could, they still give out bonuses the day before. I actually had one sitting around and did the same.

Also, I'm just tweaking some of the spacing on the OT so it's gonna be up really soon.

Welp
oyDQacJ.jpg

F2P-style DLC in a $60 retail game is the point I was trying to get across, actually. But you paid $30 so "not a big deal" amirite?
Also, weren't you all "peace I'm out of here"?

I dunno, Evolve is hardly the first game to do this.

Go look at the accessories/costumes for sale in a Tales game for PS3 (Xillia/Xillia 2 etc).

Servbot24

Banned
So are you going to cry when Bloodborne has multiple dlc's announced?

Evolve and Souls DLC (assuming Bloodborne DLC will be that way) are wildly different. Souls DLC is developed after the game (which is a complete and massive game) is released, and they are each stand alone areas that are quite meaty.

I dunno, Evolve is hardly the first game to do this.

Go look at the accessories/costumes for sale in a Tales game for PS3 (Xillia/Xillia 2 etc).

In conjunction with paid DLC characters, though? This $60 game has $15 and $5 characters, and now $5 and $7 skin packs.
For the record, I already caved (I'm weak) because I managed to get a good deal on the Monster Race edition, but I still think the DLC pricing is outrageous.

In conjunction with paid DLC characters, though? This $60 game has $15 and $5 characters, and now $5 and $7 skin packs.
For the record, I already caved (I'm weak) because I managed to get a good deal on the Monster Race edition, but I still think the DLC pricing is outrageous.

I'm speaking specifically about the skins. The Monster DLC is still trash since the game only ships with 3 of them.

Somnia

Evolve and Souls DLC (assuming Bloodborne DLC will be that way) are wildly different. Souls DLC is developed after the game (which is a complete and massive game) is released, and they are each stand alone areas that are quite meaty.

Evolve monsters and hunters are being made post launch, new maps and modes are also being made post launch and will be free to everyone. They are two very different games so of course the DLC will be different. The point is both will have post launch DLC. Evolve happens to be giving us post launch DLC for free though.

Ridley327

Really? Didn't it used to be a week before launch?

6 PM EST on the day before seems odd considering so many people get their hands on early copies of games thanks to retailers breaking street date.

It was a rule change, to prevent bloated OTs from happening too quickly. There were a lot of OTs that were already onto OT2 the day of the game's release, which is rather silly.

Klyka

Banned

They could price the DLC at 1000$ per item/monster/hunter/skin and I wouldn't give a shit because I am never, ever, ever, EVER forced to buy it.

So who gives a toss?

I'm weak. Just preordered on PS4. GCU and the $10 rewards made it seem worthwhile. Hopefully there will be a good amount of Gaffers on PS4 to play with.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
They could price the DLC at 1000$ per item/monster/hunter/skin and I wouldn't give a shit because I am never, ever, ever, EVER forced to buy it.

So who gives a toss?

Ideally this type of stuff funds other DLC.

Like, I'd be more than okay with people buying skins that I can ignore if it meant the more impactful stuff becomes free. Mass Effect 3's MP was actually really good in that regard, as it constantly added characters, maps, even another enemy faction for free due to the option of buying crates to unlock things that you could just earn ingame.

Klyka

Banned
Ideally this type of stuff funds other DLC.

Like, I'd be more than okay with people buying skins that I can ignore if it meant the more impactful stuff becomes free. Mass Effect 3's MP was actually really good in that regard, as it constantly added characters, maps, even another enemy faction for free due to the option of buying crates to unlock things that you could just earn ingame.

I completely agree with this, but I we'll have to live with maps and gamemodes.

2K is a cancer on this game

Top Bottom