• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EW lists the Best TV Shows of 2016...so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll join with the chorus that finds the second season of Schmidt to be weaker than the first and nowhere near the best of TV this year.

Garbage list imo....

No GoT? I bet the last 2 episode alone is probably better than anything on that list.

No Daredevil? (Surprised since that list is spammed with Netflix shows)

better call Saul that low?

Lol so many Netflix show in there. That list reads like an Netflix advertisement to me lol.

the state of TV seems pretty weak rn tbh

hbo needs to get it together

I'm really enjoying better call saul though.. i don't think its better than breaking bad but saul as a character is much better

Sanjuro

Hopefully OJ: The Animated Series lives up to expectation.

Can't believe we can have three OJ shows in the top ten in 2016!

I'm really enjoying better call saul though.. i don't think its better than breaking bad but saul as a character is much better

Walter White is prolly the most entitled brat TV character I've seen in the past few years. Moreso than Joffrey tbh.

I enjoyed Breaking Bad but I just can't seem to care enough to want to watch Better Call Saul, keep hearing good things though. May have to check it out soon.

Blader

The Girlfriend Experience is either seriously underrated or absolutely nobody else watched it.

Also, not that I was that big a fan of Kimmy Schmidt in S1 anyway, but S2 was really fucking forced. That show jumped from zany to annoying in almost no time.

Is The Americans really that good?

It's excellent and gets better every year. I'd have it much higher up on the list myself.

Phased

GoT has only improved in quality once they unshackled themselves from the books. That's part of the reason this season was so damn good. With that said, Saul was definitely fantastic this year.

Monocle

Good to see Better Call Saul (the true best of the year) and Lady Dynamite on there.

No GoT S6 ? WTF Really ? That was the best season of the entire series :eek:
Agreed.

GoT has only improved in quality once they unshackled themselves from the books. That's part of the reason this season was so damn good. With that said, Saul was definitely fantastic this year.
You're aware that GRRM's plans for the book series still inform the show's story, right? Being "shackled" to the books was never an actual problem.

Sober

There are over 400 scripted english television primetime shows that are airing in the US right now, how is that weak?

If the critics' idea of "best of" television don't align with your tastes there are literally hundreds more other shows you might like or critics or fans who have more similar ideas of what a good TV show is. I don't necessarily agree with all those shows or maybe not even with how the approach the show even when they do but they are pretty legit contenders if you want to see what is interesting, thought-provoking or culturally relevant.

This isn't video games where everyone from the big publications nominate the obvious suspects for GOTY awards and toss a bone or two to an indie or three.

surprised you guys rate the americans so highly

thought it was kinda silly and bailed in season 2

actually don't remember anything about it

Sober

I expect everyone in here to post their top 10 TV shows of the year thread come December! Since you all care so much about opinions being wrong and yours is correct.

surprised you guys rate the americans so highly

thought it was kinda silly and bailed in season 2

actually don't remember anything about it

i guess it's the best show on TV now that mad men and the knick are over. it's a fun spy show with a lot of deceptive relationship drama thrown in the mix.

edit: actually nah fuck that, I like black sails and rectify more. but it's still pretty high up there at the moment.

I expect everyone in here to post their top 10 TV shows of the year thread come December! Since you all care so much about opinions being wrong and yours is correct.
fTTBLia.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I'll be there with jingle bells on.

I've been slacking with the summer shows. Other than BrainDead, I've barely watched anything new.

realwords

I can't even get past the first episode of The Americans -- got to the part where
their new neighbor happens to work for the FBI's counterintelligence division
and thought it was so laughably clichè I had no business watching it.

Am I wrong in doing so?

mm04

Kimmy Schmidt is #1? I loved Season 1, but after the first 2 episodes of Season 2, I couldn't continue on. I'm sure I'll pick it up again when I have nothing to watch, but it must really get good after those first 2 episodes I guess.

I would say Agents of Shield had their best year by far. I would put them on the list. Darth Ward was a hell of an actor. Fitz/Simmons love life was amazing. Everybody was amazing.

I'd also put Preacher on the list too.

TDLink

Do you count the episode where
Dany kills a all the leaders of the Dothraki, walks out of the hut unburnt and instantly becomes their queen
as part of those top quality episodes? Because that's one of my least favorite parts in the show so far.

Honestly I think 90% of the Danerys stuff after season 1 has been pretty awful. Easily my least favourite part of the show. She didn't really get much to do this season either, that and what she did in episode 9 were her "Big moments", she has a couple every year, but I don't feel like I got much out of her in general this year...as usual. You could say "well she's a big part of the show" but all of her stuff really seemed de-emphaized this year to focus on King's Landing and the stuff in the North...and both of those focuses this year were very strong.

Noticing a lot of people saying Black Sails too. I don't know if I would say that is better than the list here but it is definitely an Honorable Mention at least. I have watched the show since Day 1 and it has improved dramatically. First season would never be close to this list but the latest was definitely damn good television.

Night Manager is a good pick that was snubbed as well but maybe it's cheating since it's a miniseries.

I can't even get past the first episode of The Americans -- got to the part where
their new neighbor happens to work for the FBI's counterintelligence division
and thought it was so laughably clichè I had no business watching it.

Am I wrong in doing so?

Yes. The characters are good and everything that happens is essentially believable. A lot of lesser shows will make characters act temporarily stupid to contrive some thing happening in the plot, but the characters in the Americans all have a consistent core or personality that makes sense individually and in the context of the story. It actually comes across as really grounded and believable considering that the premise of 'spies' could easily go the other way. It seems like there could be a lot of ways that it could go off the rails, shows with suspense often seem prone to that, but the Americans never does.

Rectify is the best show on TV right now though, but the Americans is at least in the top five.

BokehKing

Banned
As good as I thought this season was after I kinda thought it would fall off a cliff(and looked to be heading that way last season) this is a show that has always needed about 2-3 more episodes a season. Just to let some of the story breathe a bit and add more depth.

Many of the intricate competing storylines that Martin has woven really haven't been done justice because everything just feels so rushed.

They have whittled down and consolidated the cast a good bit so it has helped a lot, but for instance Dorne as you say(and I would argue to an extent Arya recently) is a glaring reflection of the need for a few more world building and side story fleshing out episodes. That and the whole crown vs the church vs the people dynamic was done very shallowly.
Well everyone was also under the impression the show writers would have had another book 2 years ago at least to flesh out your complaints.

why you taking this so personally.. is this your list

forgot about rectify.. love that show

TDLink

I would say Agents of Shield had their best year by far. I would put them on the list. Darth Ward was a hell of an actor. Fitz/Simmons love life was amazing. Everybody was amazing.

I'd also put Preacher on the list too.

Agents of SHIELD had their best year but that show is nowhere close to this discussion. I don't think it ever will be at this point.

If I'm going to put forth a network show that was snubbed from this list it would have to be Person of Interest.

Gotham has been my favourite show this year. Not one dull moment in all of season 2. Does it not count as 2016? I know we had to wait ages for it to be shown in the UK.

Sober

why you taking this so personally.. is this your list

forgot about rectify.. love that show
Heavens no. I've maybe watched half the shows on the list in the OP and it'll be lucky if even 3 or 4 get on my top 10 at the end of the year.

I just find it funny that when someone posts a thread like this everyone comes out of the woodwork to shoot down why shows X, Y, and Z are actually bad and why isn't show D, E, or F aren't on the list; it's had it's best season, arguably (or you caught it having a bad season, please forgive the show and come back).

And then in December when we hold the GAF Show of the Year thread there's nary a peep and/or the same people with all that fire and vitriol can't even muster up 100 words to say why their list of 10 shows of the year is merely 'good'.

ZoddGutts

GoT always had the problem of being slow pace because it didn't want to outpace GRR Martin books, this season had the opposite effect where things felt it was going a bit too fast, I guess it's still an improvement compared the slow hog previous seasons.

Anyways in terms of comedy Broad City is better than Kimmy Schmidt or any of those HBO comedy shows. I tried getting into Kimmy, but it feels like it tries too hard sometimes to be this smart and quirky comedy.

Kimmy S2 really that good? I liked the first season well enough, wouldn't call it love, but it's very quirky and charming. Makes you feel good, really brightened me up every time I'd watch an episode and it didn't outstay its welcome. Much like Daredevil S2 it's something I've been meaning to get around to, just haven't quite yet.

TheFlow

Banned
Game of thrones stans out in full force here.

Nice to see Roots and Oj high up. Unbreakable Kimmy needs to be down.

edit: I am actually surprised that there isn't empire

golem

Everyone is complaining about GoT and I agree, no show delivers the same highs right now as that one period.

I thought Unbreakable Kimmy S2 was not as good as S1. Also didn't really enjoy Love.

Silicon Valley not being on the list is a travesty and Superstore was better than all of those comedies on as well.

Haven't seen Roots but I thought Underground was VERY good.

Edit: Also Broad City and The Night Manager were awesome as well.

Bluth54

lol wut a cbs procedural is good tv? wake me up in never when that happens dude
Person of Interest is much, much better then the average CBS procedural and very much worth checking out (though I don't think it's the greatest show of all time like some die hard PoI fans here do.)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wut. Kimmy Schmidt fell off cliff the moment (ep.9) her stepdad showed up. I've never seen a show drop in quality so fast. It went from "This might become my fav. show" to "I'll dislike everybody in this for years"
Her step-dad? Really? I mean, he's not the greatest character but between him and her mom I thought it was a great way of having Kimmy further separate herself from her past even before the bunker.

Probably the best show I've watched this year, now that I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom