• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex Blizzard Employee Leak : First person Diablo IV, Overwatch 2 is shaping badly, RTS genre is dead and more

Lanrutcon

Fuck that people are high thinking that d2 framerate is ok in 2019 dear lordy

Issue is that to get D2 working at 60fps they'd have to fix the way the engine depends on the framerate (which would require work I'm 100% certain Blizzard will not want to do). They're going to go the cashgrab route and do the minimum that they can. I'll change my avatar to the Blizzard logo for an entire year if they announce a proper remaster with modern resolution, framerate and scrolling options.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Fuck off making everything a first person shooter. I love FPS games but I don't want everything turned into one. Its the same as open world, just... Fucking stop, man...

Lanrutcon

Fuck off making everything a first person shooter. I love FPS games but I don't want everything turned into one. Its the same as open world, just... Fucking stop, man...

Hear me out on this: Diablo would actually work as an open world game. Just make a giant open version of Sanctuary, stuff it to the brim with demons and let the player loose. Scatter some themed underground areas, place some locations from previous games in lore appropriate areas and give the player access to teleport stones. Make it all about slaughtering your way from one end of the world to the other alone or with friends.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Issue is that to get D2 working at 60fps they'd have to fix the way the engine depends on the framerate (which would require work I'm 100% certain Blizzard will not want to do). They're going to go the cashgrab route and do the minimum that they can. I'll change my avatar to the Blizzard logo for an entire year if they announce a proper remaster with modern resolution, framerate and scrolling options.
Let's hope man.
And yes as sceptical as you

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hear me out on this: Diablo would actually work as an open world game. Just make a giant open version of Sanctuary, stuff it to the brim with demons and let the player loose. Scatter some themed underground areas, place some locations from previous games in lore appropriate areas and give the player access to teleport stones. Make it all about slaughtering your way from one end of the world to the other alone or with friends.
I still wouldn't buy it, and I don't think I'm alone. One of the main draws (for me personally) is that my wife and I love playing Diablo together. She is absolutely horrible with 3D / FPS controls so she would never play it. I wouldn't play it without her.

If the rumors are true, maybe I could finally convince her to switch things up and give Path of Exile a try finally.

Lanrutcon

I still wouldn't buy it, and I don't think I'm alone. One of the main draws (for me personally) is that my wife and I love playing Diablo together. She is absolutely horrible with 3D / FPS controls so she would never play it. I wouldn't play it without her.

If the rumors are true, maybe I could finally convince her to switch things up and give Path of Exile a try finally.

Oh, sorry: I wasn't clear. Keep the same perspective as the traditional Diablo games. I am 100% against a first person or Assassin's Creed style view for a Diablo game.

Hinedorf

Banned
I tend to believe all of this. It honestly sounds like every company I've ever worked for in that from top to bottom there's tons of disharmony and a lack of direction.

It also sounds exactly like what Blizzard has been producing. Does anybody remember the last BlizzCon? "You people have cellphones right?" for Diablo Mobile

Virtually every video game decision Activision/Blizzard has made since the success of WoW has been about making money, not games.

Anybody remember Starcraft and how successful it was? Does anybody truly think breaking a complete game into 3 individual paying transactions was done for the sake of gaming or money?

Anybody remember Warcraft 3 and how successful it was leading to the birth of the MOBA community with original DOTA. Where's the innovation? Where's Warcraft 4? It's locked behind a paywall called World of Warcraft where the company is actively looking to drain every cent out of their 10 year old product EVEN RELEASING IT AGAIN versus making new IP

Trying to sell Necromancer for 20$ in Diablo 4? That a move based on gaming or money?

Overwatches commitment to frequent themes targeted at loot boxes, is that gaming or money?

Blizzard has been on their knees sucking the almighty dollar since they went public, they will never be the same again.

Phase

I know this is probably the last company we'd get this from, but the industry's been pissing me off for too long. I'm done with the remakes and remasters, or re-purposing a game. Can we get some creative new IP's? Or is taking a chance completely dead in this industry now.

I'm not the biggest fan of 2d indie games so games like Valfaris, while great, only hold my interest for maybe 5-6 hrs. They aren't a substitute for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Shin

Banned
Dutch article [image below is German]: https://tweakers.net/nieuws/158862/blizzard-spreekt-in-advertentie-over-artwork-van-diablo-iv.html

2003149090.jpeg

thelastword

Banned
Well either try something new or watch the franchise rot into obscurity...….There's nothing wrong with rebooting a franchise or changing perspective, if done right...…...RTS has not been the hottest thing for a minute now...…..They can put these stories and worlds in a mold that attracts more persons to play them...….

iconmaster

Banned
I know this is probably the last company we'd get this from, but the industry's been pissing me off for too long. I'm done with the remakes and remasters, or re-purposing a game. Can we get some creative new IP's? Or is taking a chance completely dead in this industry now.

Look to the east. I mean the indies. I mean the east indies.

Fuz

Banned
Diablo 4 is the only way they have to make stupid gamers forget about China and Diablo Immoral.

Presenting a FPS Diablo 4 will end up in a lynching on stage.

Guys, it's not gonna happen. There's no reason to believe D4 will be first person.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
lol, I kinda forgot about Diablo Immortal. I don't think he's with the company anymore, but I talked to one of the guys on the business side at Blizzard a little bit after the announce, and he was like "yeah, everyone shat on it and wouldn't give it a chance. " I didn't have the heard to explain why it was like... maybe the dumbest idea possible for Blizzard.

Phase

Diablo 4 is the only way they have to make stupid gamers forget about China and Diablo Immoral.

Presenting a FPS Diablo 4 will end up in a lynching on stage.

Guys, it's not gonna happen. There's no reason to believe D4 will be first person.
We can almost be sure the FPS thing won't happen. From what I've heard it's more a dark gothic-like themed D4.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I tend to believe all of this. It honestly sounds like every company I've ever worked for in that from top to bottom there's tons of disharmony and a lack of direction.

It also sounds exactly like what Blizzard has been producing. Does anybody remember the last BlizzCon? "You people have cellphones right?" for Diablo Mobile

Virtually every video game decision Activision/Blizzard has made since the success of WoW has been about making money, not games.

Anybody remember Starcraft and how successful it was? Does anybody truly think breaking a complete game into 3 individual paying transactions was done for the sake of gaming or money?

Anybody remember Warcraft 3 and how successful it was leading to the birth of the MOBA community with original DOTA. Where's the innovation? Where's Warcraft 4? It's locked behind a paywall called World of Warcraft where the company is actively looking to drain every cent out of their 10 year old product EVEN RELEASING IT AGAIN versus making new IP

Trying to sell Necromancer for 20$ in Diablo 4? That a move based on gaming or money?

Overwatches commitment to frequent themes targeted at loot boxes, is that gaming or money?

Blizzard has been on their knees sucking the almighty dollar since they went public, they will never be the same again.

This is true - you didn't even mention launch Diablo 3, which was as cynical and terrible of a product as you can find in all of gaming ever. If it was named literally anything but Diablo it would have gone down in flames as it deserved to.

That said, Blizzard was never the "innovative" company. They swooped into an established genre late and released an ultra polished and playable version of it. Even Diablo 1, a genre which didn't really exist back then, was a game (and studio) they purchased as it was close to completion. Diablo 2 was like the Blizzard version of Diablo 1 in that regard.

The high water mark of this approach was WoW, but I also think WoW is what kind of killed them as a company, as it required so many new people that the culture changed irreversibly and brought in so much money that it became a major focus of the people in charge.

I just don't trust Blizzard to make a good Diablo game, and luckily there is stuff like Grim Dawn and PoE which are quite good and well supported. It's not 2004 anymore.

joe_zazen

This is true - you didn't even mention launch Diablo 3, which was as cynical and terrible of a product as you can find in all of gaming ever. If it was named literally anything but Diablo it would have gone down in flames as it deserved to.

That said, Blizzard was never the "innovative" company. They swooped into an established genre late and released an ultra polished and playable version of it. Even Diablo 1, a genre which didn't really exist back then, was a game (and studio) they purchased as it was close to completion. Diablo 2 was like the Blizzard version of Diablo 1 in that regard.

The high water mark of this approach was WoW, but I also think WoW is what kind of killed them as a company, as it required so many new people that the culture changed irreversibly and brought in so much money that it became a major focus of the people in charge.

I just don't trust Blizzard to make a good Diablo game, and luckily there is stuff like Grim Dawn and PoE which are quite good and well supported. It's not 2004 anymore.

that was something else. They turned the premier loot game franchaise into a gold farming game and totally ruined the loop. They literally changed the essence of the game and forever made ‘real money auction house‘ a swear word to me.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
PoE would be really nice... if it wasn't dragged down by stupid anachronistic design flaws like the XP loss on death, the limited respecs (on a game that has a HUNGE intimidating skill tree, no less) and the lack of an AH.

sendit

After all the bad PR Blizzard has faced this year, what’s one more with a first person Diablo? We’ve had 3 mainline Diablos limited in moving the series forward.

sendit

PoE would be really nice... if it wasn't dragged down by stupid anachronistic design flaws like the XP loss on death, the limited respecs (on a game that has a HUNGE intimidating skill tree, no less) and the lack of an AH.

The skill tree in PoE was just to give players a sense of choice. However, end game? It only had a few viable builds.

Kenpachii

The problem with blizzard is there endless greed with no return for it other then even more greed.

Look at heroes of the storm there are 87 heroes in that game, lets say the average hero goes for 500 gems, 100 bucks = 12k gems that's 24 heroes u can buy, u gotta pay what? 300-400 bucks just to get access towards the heroes? smite gets u all of them and future heroes for 15 buck package.

And its still riddled with paid cosmetics that costs tons of cash to go for.

it's a joke.

Look at wow, u paid 1000 bucks already for your wow access and expansion through the years? well don't worry if you don't pay 15 bucks the next month u lose access towards everything. rofl.

I paid 15 bucks 2 times that's 30 bucks to wow vanilla, can't even play the retail without paying another 30 bucks and another 15 bucks for the next month of gametime ????????

Black desert online cost you 10 bucks and u get access to all the stuff + forever access towards there servers.

yea that's blizzard for you.

It's a joke.

I can go on and on and on. The company is a total joke for what it is.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

A first person diablo actually sounds pretty good. There isn't a lack of good traditional point and click action rpgs out there. I would be really happy with Borderlands actually if it had some of the features that diablo has.. Such as adventure mode, rifs/grater rifts and such. Overwatch 2 doesn't make sense to me... The game isn't all that old. It's not like you see counter-strike getting new sequels frequently.

Animagic

Banned
Companies with a culture that the customer is a necessary evil they have to put up with are toxic and miss the entire point. The customer is literally the only reason you exist.

that culture of disgust for the customer is cancer for a company or business.

decisions

Frankly, I consider Blizzard's games/business practices to be an absolute blight on the industry that has glorified, normalized, and standardized soulless, meaningless games which have made the industry less consumer-friendly and less interesting.

Combined with the recent happenings with regard to China, I hope they fail.

Arozay

Diablo leaks would be funny if true. Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo all ending up with some fight the void big bad bullshit.

Doubt it though.

diffusionx

Gold Member
And that's the problem. You fuck up your build and get to end game...
Yea but PoE is designed for people who like doing that. It's a game built by and for hardcore Diablo 2 players who like to make tons of builds and experiment. They found a niche and delivered a game for that niche. It's really good at that. It's not for you (or me, really), but that's ok. My point is that those people don't really need Blizzard anymore.

Does anyone really trust 2019 Blizzard to do a good job with a Diablo 2 remaster?

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
I genuinely refuse to believe the working conditions are that bad. In no way, in current clown world america would waymens be required to track ovulation cycles for their employer. It would be an international scandal. A crisis of crisis.

Last edited:
I genuinely refuse to believe the working conditions are that bad. In no way, in current clown world america would waymens be required to track ovulation cycles for their employer. It would be an international scandal. A crisis of crisis.

They're not required to do it, but it's incentivized. It was pretty widely reported back when people first became aware of it. The Washington Post even ran an article on it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...ay-be-more-public-than-you-think/?arc404=true

sendit

Diablo as a first person game would make me interested in the series again.

Think...skilled shots with a bowzon

Last edited:

FMXVII

LMMFAO... oh, Blizzard.

If your sucking at the teets and micro-penis of Whiney Xi Poo[poo-head] and willingly getting gang-gaped by the CCP wasn't already more than enough reason to never give you another single red[Red] cent (it absolutely is)...

...that description of Diablo 4 ought to do it.

For any thinking being (or even any CCP robot for that matter).

FMXVII

You just KNOW that Blizzard is using the whole "side with the demons" angle to draw heat away from, and tangentially "justify" their actually doing so, with China.

Sanctuary?

Pfffft.

Xi-angst-Poo-wary, more like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom