• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex Blizzard Employee Leak : First person Diablo IV, Overwatch 2 is shaping badly, RTS genre is dead and more

They actually scrapped that Diablo project you mentioned that's similar to Bloodborne.

I never said the game is like bloodborne lol. And yes I am aware Diablo 4 was originally going to be a souls game. I said the art style is dark like bloodborne/souls.
Please learn to read and don't put words in my mouth I never said. Thanks.

Snakey125

To be fair, entertainment targeted at young people tends to be a young people's field. Look at what happened to companies like id when the employees got older. They got BORING.

It's not just the entertainment sector, but tech sector as well that targets young people.

Look at this way, I'm cutting costs and I'm looking for the bottom of the barrel. What do I do? Do I hire this guy who has years of experience and give him a slightly better average pay due to that experience OR hire the "fresh-out-the-window" grad student who is extremely flakey but will take a lower pay than the experienced?

Now put that in triple-A, but (as of the trend lately) on how can I MAXIMIZE profits? This is where a lot of the issues are coming from. I've heard from many people who started in the industry and then instantly regretted it because how triple-A is today. It's why there is a LOT of indie developers because they can develop at their own pace and why there is a brain drain going on right now and why studios are having issues.

Also, id didn't get boring. They made a huge fucking mistake with the mega texture tech over hyped it to hell. Interesting idea on paper, but costed them too much. There's also trying to follow trends instead of mixing their own formula.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
To be fair, entertainment targeted at young people tends to be a young people's field. Look at what happened to companies like id when the employees got older. They got BORING.

Is that really true, though? Like, id got boring as fuck, but outside of Romero, were they ever that good at actually making games, rather than tech? Then you have Miyamoto, Kojima, Sakurai, Igarashi, etc. -- they're all much older than their target audience, but I wouldn't call any of them boring.

Ornoku

I never said the game is like bloodborne lol. And yes I am aware Diablo 4 was originally going to be a souls game. I said the art style is dark like bloodborne/souls.
Please learn to read and don't put words in my mouth I never said. Thanks.
"Best way to describe it is Diablo 2 mixed with Bloodborne/Dark Souls. "

dirthead

Banned
Is that really true, though? Like, id got boring as fuck, but outside of Romero, were they ever that good at actually making games, rather than tech? Then you have Miyamoto, Kojima, Sakurai, Igarashi, etc. -- they're all much older than their target audience, but I wouldn't call any of them boring.

Miyamoto hasn't had anything substantial to do with a game in like 20 years. You're talking about people who are essentially directors. They don't have to have the passion it takes to actually grind out 12 hours of work a day for a game.

"Best way to describe it is Diablo 2 mixed with Bloodborne/Dark Souls. "

Holy fuck. You can't read for shit.

"Diablo 4 is going to be a Isometric RPG and is going back into dark days as far as the art and atmosphere goes. Best way to describe it is Diablo 2 mixed with Bloodborne/Dark Souls."

It's obvious when I mention Bloodborne and Dark Souls that I am referring to the art style. How bad is your reading comprehension buddy?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Miyamoto hasn't had anything substantial to do with a game in like 20 years. You're talking about people who are essentially directors. They don't have to have the passion it takes to actually grind out 12 hours of work a day for a game.

Oh, yeah - outside of the directors, that's not the case. I'm with you there.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not completely buying this rumor, but one thing holding it up: It doesn't take long to see that there is indeed a brain drain issue from the industry. There have been a LOT of companies either nicking pay of older employees or just straight up layoffs. I've spoken to several people who have seen this happen at several companies.

Why? New blood is cheaper. Who gives a damn about experience when a person is trying to get their way in the industry and will do it for cheap.
Who could have thought that encouraging an abusive workaholic culture could lead to talent escaping the industry instead of the magical experience knowing that art is not a 9-5 job with weekend and breaks and rest and enjoying the chance of burning out and destroying your social life to give gamers their next 10-20 hours past time most of the loud internet voices will not buy unless you can actually promise 30+ hours gameplay and yet they would hardly play 8 before moving on to the next thing in their ever increasing backlog...

</rant>...

xrnzaaas

Even it's all bs it's probably not far from reality. I'd be very surprised if Blizzard announced another Warcraft or Starcraft (as an RTS) and Diablo 4 will never meet people's expectations, especially if they've stopped playing Diablo 3 in favor or Path of Exile.

Last edited:
Now this is what I live for.

Be it nonsense or not, that was such a funny read.

Diablo 4 will never meet people's expectations, especially if they've stopped playing Diablo 3 in favor or Path of Exile.

They have the bar set so high they practically have to make a groundbreaking game with Diablo 4. if not, even the new PoE league will be better.

Last edited:
Okay, I think Tracer/Widowmaker is hot.

Wait till you discover real women! ;)

Oh Yay! a 4CHAN RUMOR!!!!!!! Those are always 1000% true.

Anything to hate on Blizzard lately right?

Not sure how this statement can still be a thing. Leaks on chan websites turn out to be far more accurate than on any other site. The anon nature of the site explains this. See: literally any run up to E3.

Last edited:

yugoluke

The Overwatch 2 emphasis on PVE seems to me that it will rather be an expansion for those interested. The competitive scene is deeply rooted and took years to be established. I highly doubt they would split the player base in that way. They also just announced huge updates to how the game will be played by introducing 2-2-2 role lock and teased a hero in the same week. Overwatch will just get add ons and I assume what this leak is referring to is just that.

Lanrutcon

Now this is what I live for.

Be it nonsense or not, that was such a funny read.

They have the bar set so high they practically have to make a groundbreaking game with Diablo 4. if not, even the new PoE league will be better.

I don't know about that. PoE is great, but "PoE 2" with a new shiny engine/zoom functionality/proper transmog support/inventory management made friendly/controller support/etc? That would be even better, and that's very achievable.

The question is who's going to make it first. The opportunity is there if Blizzard had any sense.

But they don't.

Daymos

Very entertaining read. It helps feed my personal theory that the end of gaming as we know it is drawing near.

Basically I just like having a fun excuse to create a huge backlog of physical games. :messenger_beaming:

Xiaoki

Wait till you discover real women! ;)

Not sure how this statement can still be a thing. Leaks on chan websites turn out to be far more accurate than on any other site. The anon nature of the site explains this. See: literally any run up to E3.
It's still a thing because the anonymous nature of 4chan means that anyone can post anything and call themselves a "former employee with secret information"

Right before BfA came out a "former employee" posted a bunch of rumors for Blizzard games and, surprise, none of it was real.

Some 4chan rumors do turn out to be real (fighting game character lists, FF15) but that is hardly any reason to trust anything on 4chan 100%

matheusnienow

Neo Member
This sounds like total bullshit. Not saying that the company is in good shape, we know it is a total mess but this looks way exaggerated.

DonF

Oh Yay! a 4CHAN RUMOR!!!!!!! Those are always 1000% true.

Anything to hate on Blizzard lately right?
Always take it with a grain of salt, But there has been correct rumors on 4chan about overwatch, I remember orisa completely leaked there, like 2 months before (when it was code named "Anchor") and some Sombra stuff.

It might be completely false, only time will tell.

whyman

”they cant get loot to drop properly”

This line alone makes me think its BS. Sure there might be issues but its not like they havent made a RPG before.

dorkimoe

Blizzard used to be trendsetters, I hope they really arent just chasing e-sports. Everything they made prior to e-sports was a god damn great game.

I would take that Diablo though, I find it hard to believe they cant get "loot to drop right" lol.

Who could have thought that encouraging an abusive workaholic culture could lead to talent escaping the industry instead of the magical experience knowing that art is not a 9-5 job with weekend and breaks and rest and enjoying the chance of burning out and destroying your social life to give gamers their next 10-20 hours past time most of the loud internet voices will not buy unless you can actually promise 30+ hours gameplay and yet they would hardly play 8 before moving on to the next thing in their ever increasing backlog...

</rant>...

That is just spot on. I don't believe these rumors, but we will never ever get a game like Diablo 2 again. The magical days of Blizzard are long gone. This is the Blizzard of Bobby Kotick and every game has to be a small business venture, generating ridiculous amounts of cash for the greedy share holders and execs.

johntown

Banned
Diablo 4 in first person? I won't count it out before seeing anything but it just seems strange. I could see making 3rd person more like a souls game and getting rid of the isometric view but first person just doesn't seem to fit with the series or genre in general.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Crying at Reaper being gay. That's what I wanted to happen so all the edgey kids would stop playing him.

I'm not even done reading yet but Blizzard is a joke.

flacopol

Everyone said that this is fake and yada yada... archive this and will see. After "do you guys not have phones" ....

MayauMiao

Diablo 4 going FPS sounds absolutely bullshit. Surely the wise people at Blizzard can't be that stupid to let it happen, right? RIGHT?

Ornoku

Holy fuck. You can't read for shit.

"Diablo 4 is going to be a Isometric RPG and is going back into dark days as far as the art and atmosphere goes. Best way to describe it is Diablo 2 mixed with Bloodborne/Dark Souls."

It's obvious when I mention Bloodborne and Dark Souls that I am referring to the art style. How bad is your reading comprehension buddy?
Relax man why are you so upset. Work on your sentence structure. If you knew that there was a bloodborne type game in the works then you say "Best way to describe it is Diablo 2 mixed with Bloodborne/Dark Souls", why get so upset about it? I would highly suggest not nitpicking other peoples reading skills.

Last edited:
Relax man why are you so upset. Work on your sentence structure. If you knew that there was a bloodborne type game in the works then you say "Best way to describe it is Diablo 2 mixed with Bloodborne/Dark Souls", why get so upset about it? I would highly suggest not nitpicking other peoples reading skills.

Why I am getting upset? Because you're putting words in my fucking mouth that I never said and making me look like a liar.

I would highly suggest you go back to English class. You need to learn to read brother for fucks sake. <3

Last edited:

llien

I read the orihinal statement the way it was elaborated later. DS only in the art direction sense.

Aintitcool

Banned
AAA gaming is going into nextgen hot with devs freaking out. Games as a service seems to be pulling hairs out of everyone.

If only they never tried the loot boxes and got addicted to that cash flow.

Tako Ou

Banned
I don't believe it at all. The part about RTS would just be insane if true.
And it's far too negative overall.
The only part I can believe concerns Ion.

Why I am getting upset? Because you're putting words in my fucking mouth that I never said and making me look like a liar.

I would highly suggest you go back to English class. You need to learn to read brother for fucks sake. <3

Your sentence wasn't precise as to its subject, the preceding sentence is about gameplay and art.
We are supposed to guess it only refers to the latter without any further precision ?

You could have simply added that precision or you could also shift the blame on us for failing to read your mind.

mcjmetroid

This lost me at the self-harming part.
Too over the top.
You know that if this actually happened we would have heard about it ALL over twitter by now.

Herr Edgy

Pretty sure it's fake, but the fact that some of the worse things seem likely tells you much about the current state of Blizzard. It's just a shadow of its former self.

Shifty

Skepticism levels are off the charts with this one cap'n.

If Diablo 4 ends up being first person and notable game-as-a-service Overwatch gets a sequel, then pigs will sprout wings and fly.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

A D2 remaster? highly unlikely. A D2 rerelease with some higher resolution options that mods have already provided for years? maybe.

Top Bottom