• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Green Beret Nate Boyer writes open letter to Trump, Kaepernick, NFL and America

Let me do a little explanation for everyone siding with the guy that wrote this letter:

First we have Johnny Protester, then Johnny Doesn'tknowshit and lastly Johnny Racist.

J.P. faces discrimination, either because they are black/asian/etc or they are gay or both or whatever reason. They then try to protest so they don't have to fear being killed just for walking down the street and bumping into the wrong cop.

J.D. sees that and at first does nothing because they are lazy and just try to ignore it but they feel uncomfortable because J.P. is protesting in a space where he is not invisible to them.

J.R. hates J.P., so he goes to J.D. and tells them than J.P. are whining about nothing, that they just want to make everyone feel sorry for them, but most importantly, they tell J.D. that they shouldn't do a thing, just keep being lazy.

Here's the thing, the only one that can really help make things better is J.D., but they don't want to do anything. They don't want to help, they don't want to listen, they don't want to be pushed by one side or the other. So, what to they do? They go to J.P. and tell them "Hey, so..., I know you want to protest and all that, but it is kind of a pain in the ass. Can't you just go talk to J.R. and tell them to stop being mean to you? They told me they are willing to listen to you, so don't be unreasonable and go fix things with them yourself."

J.D. also says "Look, they really don't hate you, they are holding your flag!" and some months later J.R. does this:

Trump speaks at Values Voter Summit ; pledges homophobic views will not be silenced
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447436

"Just go talk with them and explain why they are wrong"
Black professor receives racist voice mail after Fox News appearance.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447712

"Rape culture doesn't exist"
Rapist awarded joint custody​ of victims child in MI
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1444634&highlight=stayed

So J.P. gets fed up, they, their brothers and sister, their parents and their friends are getting killed, raped, denied healthcare and much more and J.D. just wants to get on with his life. J.P. tells J.D. "You fucker, we are bleeding in the streets and you just want to go see a football match and not be bothered by the sound of us dying like dogs. It doesn't matter if you don't hate me, if you don't do anything you're just as bad as J.R."

In the end J.D. get angry, says "Hey, I'm just here trying to be reasonable but if you're going to act that way I'm not going to help you. Go fuck yourself"

What I'm trying to say is, if you have the nerve to tell someone to compromise their protest just so you don't have to do shit, stop being a lazy fuck or at least just shut up.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Let me do a little explanation for everyone siding with the guy that wrote this letter:

First we have Johnny Protester, then Johnny Doesn'tknowshit and lastly Johnny Racist.

J.P. faces discrimination, either because they are black/asian/etc or they are gay or both or whatever reason. They then try to protest so they don't have to fear being killed just for walking down the street and bumping into the wrong cop.

J.D. sees that and at first does nothing because they are lazy and just try to ignore it but they feel uncomfortable because J.P. is protesting in a space where he is not invisible to them.

J.R. hates J.P., so he goes to J.D. and tells them than J.P. are whining about nothing, that they just want to make everyone feel sorry for them, but most importantly, they tell J.D. that they shouldn't do a thing, just keep being lazy.

Here's the thing, the only one that can really help make things better is J.D., but they don't want to do anything. They don't want to help, they don't want to listen, they don't want to be pushed by one side or the other. So, what to they do? They go to J.P. and tell them "Hey, so..., I know you want to protest and all that, but it is kind of a pain in the ass. Can't you just go talk to J.R. and tell them to stop being mean to you? They told me they are willing to listen to you, so don't be unreasonable and go fix things with them yourself."

J.D. also says "Look, they really don't hate you, they are holding your flag!" and some months later J.R. does this:

Trump speaks at Values Voter Summit ; pledges homophobic views will not be silenced
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447436

"Just go talk with them and explain why they are wrong"
Black professor receives racist voice mail after Fox News appearance.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447712

"Rape culture doesn't exist"
Rapist awarded joint custody​ of victims child in MI
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1444634&highlight=stayed

So J.P. gets fed up, they, their brothers and sister, their parents and their friends are getting killed, raped, denied healthcare and much more and J.D. just wants to get on with his life. J.P. tells J.D. "You fucker, we are bleeding in the streets and you just want to go see a football match and not be bothered by the sound of us dying like dogs. It doesn't matter if you don't hate me, if you don't do anything you're just as bad as J.R."

In the end J.D. get angry, says "Hey, I'm just here trying to be reasonable but if you're going to act that way I'm not going to help you. Go fuck yourself"

What I'm trying to say is, if you have the nerve to tell someone to compromise their protest just so you don't have to do shit, stop being a lazy fuck or at least just shut up.

Yep. If you're not part of the solution, stop standing in the way of those who are.

Has the kneeling-protest spread to other countries yet?

I saw a german football(soccer team) kneeling today. (Hertha BSC Berlin)
Haven't seen that before.
860x860

Wasn't sure what to think about it when I saw it because I wasn't sure if they really understood what the protests were about.(not a protest against Trump, but a specific protest against racial discrimination and police brutality in the US)

But their statement clarified that they understood and saw their kneeling not as their own form of protest, but as a sign of support among athletes.

Their statement:
"Hertha BSC steht für Vielfalt, Toleranz und Verantwortung! Für ein Berlin, dass auch in Zukunft weltoffen ist!"
"Wir leben nicht mehr im 18. Jahrhundert, sondern im 21. Jahrhundert. Es gibt aber einige Leute, die ideologisch noch nicht so weit sind. Wenn wir da etwas Nachhilfe geben können, ist das doch gut."
Translation:
Hertha BSC Berlin stands for diversity, tolerance and responsibility. For a Berlin that stays open minded.
We don't live in the 18th century anymore, but in the 21st. There are many people who haven't progressed to that level ideologically. If we can help out in that regard a little thats a good thing.

Has the kneeling-protest spread to other countries yet?

I saw a german football(soccer team) kneeling today. (Hertha BSC Berlin)
Haven't seen that before.
860x860

Wasn't sure what to think about it when I saw it because I wasn't sure if they really understood what the protests were about.(not a protest against Trump, but a specific protest against racial discrimination and police brutality in the US)

But their statement clarified that they understood and saw their kneeling not as their own form of protest, but as a sign of support among athletes.

Their statement:

Translation:
Hertha BSC Berlin stands for diversity, tolerance and responsibility. For a Berlin that stays open minded.
We don't live in the 18th century anymore, but in the 21st. There are many people who haven't progressed to that level ideologically. If we can help out in that regard a little thats a good thing.

But why do they hate the German flag and military? /s

But why do they hate the German flag and military? /s

I know this isn't a serious question, but I think it should be mentioned that the anthem isn't played in Germany before football matches.
Only when the national team is playing.

There were debates many years ago when some players of the national team (Sami Khedira and Mesut Özil if I remember correctly) refused to sing along.
Özil said he rather prays during that time. He is muslim.
Khedira stated that the anthem doesn't represent his "germanness" so he doesn't feel like singing along.
The vast majority of the media was on their side. Politicians didn't get involved except for far right ones but back then they were insignificant and largely ignored.

The "old guys" like Beckenbauer and Meyer-Vorfelder criticized them for it.
Beckenbauer made singing along mandatory when he was coach in the 90s.

Coach Löw tore the criticism apart stating that german identity, team spirit and success have nothing to do with singing along the anthem and that he thinks singling out players with an immigration background for such allegations is concerning.

Imagine how people today would feel about sit-ins.

Kaepernick isn't being physically spat on him, pushed around and physically abused, but effectively the treatment is the same.

They've stripped him of his livelihood, they banned him from his profession and they're going to keep attacking him until he withers away.

The complaints aren't about the means of protest, they're about a minority having the audacity to speak up and against. It's textbook.

No compromises.

Ogodei

We pick sides because one side is writing apologia for Nazis and criminal cops while the other side is trying to make it so that people can live lives free from harassment, intimidation, and state-sanctioned murder.

If you refuse to pick a side then you're helping the bad guys.

Now, i don't think Mr. Boyer or his comrades are doing this deliberately. As soldiers they're taught to believe in the American ideal because that's what helps inspire them to fight. It's important that they see this social division for what it is, though, and that we need people who fight the internal enemies of the American idea just as relentlessly as they pursue the external enemies of the USA. There's no reason for them to lay their lives down for a country that gets overrun by Klansmen.

It's a great letter but unfortunately Trump has never been and will never be the type of person to whom this would do anything. Still worth writing for the sake of the public and probably for a sense of catharsis, but frankly Trump is a lost cause. All we can hope to to is contain the damage and resist.

I know this isn't a serious question, but I think it should be mentioned that the anthem isn't played in Germany before football matches.
Only when the national team is playing.

There were debates many years ago when some players of the national team (Sami Khedira and Mesut Özil if I remember correctly) refused to sing along.
Özil said he rather prays during that time. He is muslim.
Khedira stated that the anthem doesn't represent his "germanness" so he doesn't feel like singing along.
The vast majority of the media was on their side. Politicians didn't get involved except for far right ones but back then they were insignificant and largely ignored.

The "old guys" like Beckenbauer and Meyer-Vorfelder criticized them for it.
Beckenbauer made singing along mandatory when he was coach in the 90s.

Coach Löw tore the criticism apart stating that german identity, team spirit and success have nothing to do with singing along the anthem and that he thinks singling out players with an immigration background for such allegations is concerning.

That’s really good to know. Germany rocks.

His heart is in the right place here. Obviously he should not be asked to come up with solutions to issues or for his take on socio-economics. The heart being in the right place is what you can shape and build on.

That being said, there is definitely a problem with many Americans preferring to bury their heads in the sand rather than address actual issues and challenges. Until people stop shunning knowledge and information....until people are willing to admit they don't know everything they need to know already, we'll continue to have social problems.

Read the letter twice, it's some both sides bullshit dressed up with a nice tie around it.

It's naievety and wishful thinking, mabe in the past this notion, this thinking could be entertained, but not today. You bet your ass lines have been drwan. It's the purveyors of human destruction aginst those who want, nay need a better world for all to live in.

Both siders still aren't living in the real world, even with all of this information. If they do learn, grow and evolve their opinions, one would hope that they don't go even more to the right.

I can sympathise with the sentiment, but there will be no "unity" between Americans like Kaepernick and Americans like that woman who left the 8 minute voice message to that Black professor.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Colin Kaepernick and President Trump should be the ones uniting our country together. Wait...what? I know it sounds crazy, but maybe that's exactly what we need to see. Maybe that's how we start to heal. Two men sit in a room and talk, simple as that.

Colin Kaepernick is a football player.

Donald Trump is supposed to be President of the United States.

This is absurd.

Colin Kaepernick is a football player.

Donald Trump is supposed to be President of the United States.

This is absurd.
Just the fact that Kaepernick has been blacklisted after a silent protest while Trump was elected President after all the horrible things he's said and done over just the two years he was running should have been enough to make Boyer pause and rethink his position but nope, still both sides.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Just the fact that Kaepernick has been blacklisted after a silent protest while Trump was elected President after all the horrible things he's said and done over just the two years he was running should have been enough to make Boyer pause and rethink his position but nope, still both sides.

Yep.

All Kap did was take a knee. It is 100% a gesture. There is no harm done, no attack on others, no hostility, division, or malice.

Here you have an ex Green Beret, condemning an American for exercising their rights, in the purest sense. He should be ashamed. He's forgotten what he was fighting for.

Joe

PKrockin

Let's settle in the middle and only shoot some unarmed black children without consequence.

Two men sitting in a room to talk until they resolve the issue can't happen because one of the men won't acknowledge any issue with the police at all.

Top Bottom