• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Human Head developer alleges on Twitter that Bethesda is lying about Prey 2

Wow @ n8rtot's posts on page 2. Revealing stuff. This industry is just as shady and cutthroat as any other, not that that's surprising.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Despite all the shitty things going on behind the scenes, this game is one of my dream games and I hope it makes it out on next gen. Arkane is a good studio to finish it up too. I just want to know why such an awesome looking game was treated so badly. The concept prints money. I do think it would be better served as a new IP since Prey isn't exactly the type of game that has much of a following.

Hindle

Banned
I'm conflicted over Arkane being involved. I'd have preferred a Dishonored sequel or an IP that's more like Deus EX. But then, they name check System Shock as a game Arkane were striving to make, so they can easily turn this into a game thats influenced by Deus Ex/System Shock. Call me hyped I suppose.

Grief.exe

I'm conflicted over Arkane being involved. I'd have preferred a Dishonored sequel or an IP that's more like Deus EX. But then, they name check System Shock as a game Arkane were striving to make, so they can easily turn this into a game thats influenced by Deus Ex/System Shock. Call me hyped I suppose.

Dishonored sequel is still happening.

Arkane has multiple teams

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Prey 2 on the other hand could revert back to the Radar Group if it's not used by a certain time or declared cancelled.
No, it cannot. Zenimax outright owns the Prey copyright. Apogee/3D Realms sold/moved the IP to Radar in June 2009, who in turn sold the IP to Zenimax the following month.

You guys know Bethesda owns Arkane, so they can make them do whatever they want them to do. During production of Dishonored, Bethesda started to arbitrarily reject milestones. In doing so, the then-independent-Arkane had to find ways to pay their staff since successful milestones are what feeds the bank.
I find it odd that you are unaware that Arkane did contract outsourcing work, which supplemented milestones payments from their publisher for Dishonored. Up until they were acquired, my understanding is that they were working on the multiplayer for a AAA shooter in addition to their work on Dishonored.

unbias

I'm pretty sure the simplest explanation is the truth: Bethesda spent money to get the Prey license and hasn't done anything with it yet. It'd be embarrassing to just accept that as a sunken cost. They want to get at least one game out of their investment.

But if the game was already a "full game" they went past 10 million+ in development costs, no? Seems like a financially bad decision to scrap the whole thing. Starting from ground 0 costs a lot more, and we have been given no indication that it was scrapped because they saw no value in it. The situation is odd.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Not really true, at least not in the way you worded it. EA owns the trademark to the name "System Shock", while Star Insurance owns the intellectual property.

Exactly, thanks for the clarification.

I'm pretty sure the simplest explanation is the truth: Bethesda spent money to get the Prey license and hasn't done anything with it yet. It'd be embarrassing to just accept that as a sunken cost. They want to get at least one game out of their investment.

Well, of course it would be true. The real news here is the way they're treating developers, which should be covered by gaming press.

Woah, I know this is probably just a bit of throwaway hyperbole, but let's not go crazy, here.

Yeah, sorry about that. It just really bothers me that they treat developers like cannon fodder to improve their financial call's numbers.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
This is very upsetting. I had never heard of Prey prior to the demo they showed at E3, but that was enough to get me excited about the game and want to purchase it. Knowing that it will probably never see release depresses me.

Go ahead and be quick to judge Bethesda.

But seeing how they've published 3 of the most acclaimed games of this generation, a game that could of been if it wasn't broken on every console at release, and Dishonored. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. One disgruntled former employee isn't infallible.

And who is to say the entire game looked that good? One good gameplay demo doesn't indicate it's overall quality.
How quick we are to forget Skyrim PS3. They released a broken game on PS3 willingly.

Both Obsidian and inXile have spoken out publicly about how shitty Bethesda treated them.

It isn't a leap of logic to accept they did similar things to Human Head, in addition to forcing the Prey 2 name onto Arkane.

But if the game was already a "full game" they went past 10 million+ in development costs, no? Seems like a financially bad decision to scrap the whole thing. Starting from ground 0 costs a lot more, and we have been given no indication that it was scrapped because they saw no value in it. The situation is odd.

Probably caught up in contract disputes, something like Bethesda cannot hand off HH code to another developer and release it.

unbias

How quick we are to forget Skyrim PS3. They released a broken game on PS3 willingly.

Both Obsidian and inXile have spoken out publicly about how shitty Bethesda treated them.

It isn't a leap of logic to accept they did similar things to Human Head, in addition to forcing the Prey 2 name onto Arkane.

Probably caught up in contract disputes, something like Bethesda cannot hand off HH code to another developer and release it.

That still doesn't really address what I said. That means they willfully took a hit and are starting from scratch for reasons unknown, and are just using the name for the sake of using it(because they possibly may lose it). I mean, unless this is a simple pride thing, of not wanting to look like a fool, because the title wasn't looking good... but again, there is no word that is the case. I mean, don't get me wrong, it isn't abnormal for a private company to stay tight lipped about this. But at the moment, with nothing to go off of if they really had a full game, they just waited money, for an unspecified reason.

Even if that stand to lose the title for not using it, the game has been out of the mind of consumers for so long, I cant see Prey having the mindshare to justify the cost of restarting, when you have so much money already invested. From a financial aspect, to me, it doesn't make sense on its own, at all.

jschreier

Well, of course it would be true. The real news here is the way they're treating developers, which should be covered by gaming press.
I can tell you that n8rtot's post echoes things I've heard a few times before, and things I'd already been doing reporting work on. I can also tell you that those claims are exceptionally difficult to prove, and that the gaming press should certainly not be reporting accusations like that without significant evidence.

unbias

I can tell you that n8rtot's post echoes things I've heard a few times before, and things I'd already been doing reporting work on. I can also tell you that those claims are exceptionally difficult to prove, and that the gaming press should certainly not be reporting accusations like that without significant evidence.

I agree. That said it seems like if there is a story somewhere in this, some form of journalism would be picking up on this in most other industry and asking around, poking around and ect.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Of course, those are not allegations that should be thrown around without evidence, it is merely asking for game journalism to look further into it so people know what some companies do. Which I knew you were already doing, so thank you, Jason.

Eusis

Yeah, it could well be like Battlefront 3 or something where apparently the game wasn't as far along as they liked to say it was.

Wow, sarcasm or have we found the one person who actually cared about the story in Prey?
The ending of Prey said that TOMMY WILL RETURN

Don't make Prey 2 without Tommy as the protagonist, simple as that.

You can make it a spinoff, sure, but at that point why would you?

Also making the protagonist GENERIC WHITE GUY doesn't help.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The ending of Prey said that TOMMY WILL RETURN

Don't make Prey 2 without Tommy as the protagonist, simple as that.

You can make it a spinoff, sure, but at that point why would you?

Also making the protagonist GENERIC WHITE GUY doesn't help.

game is not called Tommy Tawodi big Adventure, it's called Prey, and Tommy arc ended as he "found himself" already and just wanted some answers,honestly it will be boring to have him again.

and it's not about race, Killian Samuels was on the airplane from Prey 1 and got kidnapped by aliens for years and went to their planet then turned into a freaking aliens bounty hunter in the freaking aliens planet(how cool is that), this is alone is more interesting than everything in Prey 1.

Interesting read. Not gonna take this at face value, but after the Skyrim PS3 debacle, I couldn't think much less of Bethesda anyways.

I couldn't get into Dishonored so I'm not sure what news about this is going to get me excited again.

Stimpack

Well, it's no surprise. Did you see the way he vaulted over cover in that demo? No way that could run on current generation consoles.

Also I wanted this game so bad it hurts.

maladroit

Yeah, so why don't you fucking guys, you know, do some legwork, you know, actual reporting? Like real journalists do? Really investigate? I guess it's easier to run vapid stream of consciousness opinion pieces on shit like "what it's like to be a female that plays adult visual novels", or regurgitate corporate press releases, and just collect that ad revenue, than it is to actually investigate something and maybe cause waves in an industry with a history of shady practices, mistreating employees, retaliation, gender discrimination, etc.

Jac_Solar

"Why is the Prey name so important?"

This is what everyone's wondering. Prey 1 was a launch title from like 7 years ago that barely anyone bought and barely anyone remembers. Why are they doing this? I don't get it. Just release HH's Prey 2 and let Arkane make a new IP. This doesn't make sense. How is the Prey IP lucrative in any way...

I think that an established IP has a better chance of getting more sales than a completely new IP, even if it's a slightly old, semi-mediocre IP.

Like, there are probably atleast 1 million people that have played Prey by now, 40-50% of those might have told friends about it, and 40% of those might be fans who'd buy the next title. It already has some "mindshare".

Even if a brand new IP looks super impressive, I don't think it would have the same sales potential as a mediocre title with an established IP.

And it's much easier to market, since it has some mindshare. An important part of advertising is just to get people to remember the title and what it's about. It'd be easier to remember the new game (Through marketing and such.) if it's the successor to a game you might have heard about or played.

But yeah, it's probably because they bought the IP or something, or at least mostly because of that.

They suddenly stopped production, handed it over to another team and told them to start from the beginning, so there has to be some other reason for why they are doing this. The marketing logic would have them release the successor as fast as possible to make profit.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yeah, so why don't you fucking guys, you know, do some legwork, you know, actual reporting? Like real journalists do? Really investigate? I guess it's easier to run vapid stream of consciousness opinion pieces on shit like "what it's like to be a female that plays adult visual novels", or regurgitate corporate press releases, and just collect that ad revenue, than it is to actually investigate something and maybe cause waves in an industry with a history of shady practices, mistreating employees, retaliation, gender discrimination, etc.

because video games sites depend on publishers ads and reviews codes to survive we will never see any real investigation going on because that might upset the publishers who might put that site on their black list, in the end these people have families to feed (maybe if a rich Media Network entered the video games news world we will see better things)

Human Head and Zenimax thing was going since late 2011 and we still don't have the full picture on what happened.

yeah, they did the same thing with rogue warrior. and I'm pretty sure zombie, the original developers on that, were treated the same way as human head were on this. people blame rebellion for how shitty the rogue warrior game that was released was, but it's pretty obvious it was a super short dev cycle rushjob on no budget at all. for no actually good reason.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
yeah, they did the same thing with rogue warrior. and I'm pretty sure zombie, the original developers on that, were treated the same way as human head were on this. people blame rebellion for how shitty the rogue warrior game that was released was, but it's pretty obvious it was a super short dev cycle rushjob on no budget at all. for no actually good reason.

to be fair Rebellion track record is not good at all, I don't think they can make a good game even if you give them 4 years.

FACE

Banned
What went wrong with HH's Prey 2

In the following months, a source claimed, "Bethesda denied further funding of the project, and started failing milestones,” asking for changes and fixes without following through on its previous promise to give the team more time. The promise, however, was not inked on the contract, so Bethesda had no legal obligation to fulfill it. In addition, a source said, Bethesda was likely concerned with the "dated planning, tools, and techniques" Human Head was using. Meanwhile, the contract didn’t give the creative team any leverage: Prey 2 was the only game Human Head was legally allowed to develop on its own until the agreement expired -- to fill time and keep the lights on, the studio supported the development BioShock Infinite and Defiance. If it were to ever release, the team needed more cash and time to meet the rising demands to adjust Prey 2, which "needed a lot of work" and was "lackluster" from the publisher's perspective.

Sounds exactly like this:

You guys know Bethesda owns Arkane, so they can make them do whatever they want them to do. During production of Dishonored, Bethesda started to arbitrarily reject milestones. In doing so, the then-independent-Arkane had to find ways to pay their staff since successful milestones are what feeds the bank. Knowing that Arkane wasn't making their milestones on time and potentially going to suffer internally, such as loosing staff, or ultimately shutting down, Bethesda's parent company Zenimax stepped in to help Arkane out by floating them loans during this "quality issue" period. That seemed nice of Zenimax to help out Arkane, right?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Maybe. But Arkane knows much more about RPGs than HH and they seem like a better fit for turning Prey 2 into a System Shock-like RPG.

Prey 2 is gonna be as Bioshock or Dead Space is to SS2, which means not really.

Nikhil

Neo Member
How can Bethesda still publish a Prey 2? I'd have thought Human Head owned the IP, since the first game was published by 2K.

Does HH own the code they developed for Prey 2? Maybe they could modify the story to be a new IP and still release what's essentially the same game.

unbias

Well, at least it is gaining traction. Hopefully the story on Bethesda doesn't die, simply because it is out of the mind of the consumers. Game company business practices inside its own company, needs to be reported more, so we know what we are buying, beyond just a game. Don't like supporting companies that routinely rely on hostile takeovers to expand business.

Top Bottom