• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex- NHL Player, Adam Johnson, 29, dies after getting his neck slashed by a skate in freak accident during game.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Very sad shit.

Rest in Peace to the young man. Video is out there if you want to see it for yourself but I won't be posting it here.

wcu8hvbvxndb8i94rb7c.jpg

Adam Johnson, a forward who played 13 games for the Pittsburgh Penguins from 2018-19, died Saturday as a result of what his Elite Ice Hockey League team in England called a "freak accident" on the ice during a game. He was 29.

Hockey is a fucking dangerous sport man.

Biff

Tragic. So frustrating as this is an entirely preventable risk that has been solved in youth / casual hockey leagues for years.

I grew up playing hockey (Canadian obv) and we were all mandated to wear kevlar neck guards - they look kinda like a thick fabric dog collar.

I have no idea why professional leagues don't mandate them. They aren't uncomfortable, they don't restrict movement. I guess it would change the "appearance" of a player such that they look like they are wearing a turtleneck, but I'm sure the NHL has enough money to design one that looks badass/futuristic and would actually make kids want to wear them too.

Represent.

Yeah I dont
Tragic. So frustrating as this is an entirely preventable risk that has been solved in youth / casual hockey leagues for years.

I grew up playing hockey (Canadian obv) and we were all mandated to wear kevlar neck guards - they look kinda like a thick fabric dog collar.

I have no idea why professional leagues don't mandate them. They aren't uncomfortable, they don't restrict movement. I guess it would change the "appearance" of a player such that they look like they are wearing a turtleneck, but I'm sure the NHL has enough money to design one that looks badass/futuristic and would actually make kids want to wear them too.
Yeah I dont get it either.

F7cdcQ-W4AAy3K_.jpg

These things right here should be mandatory.

Wonder if the league will make any changes, doubt it.

Are players allowed to wear them if they choose though?

Mr1999

It's hard to believe that the initial impact?(I cant even tell from potato video quality) would cause the body to react in such a way where your skate goes upwards to the head area of opposing player while you are not on the ground, i understand slipping or getting slashed as you come up but that was a chop to the neck from what it looked like, probably why he bled out so fast. Rest in peace.

Last edited:

nothing

It's hard to believe that the initial impact?(I cant even tell from potato video quality) would cause the body to react in such a way where your skate goes upwards to the head area of opposing player while you are not on the ground, i understand slipping or getting slashed as you come up but that was a chop to the neck from what it looked like, probably why he bled out so fast. Rest in peace.
ive been rewatching the clip, and it looks intentional.

Represent.

Its definitely not intentional people, come on people lol, no one intentionally kills someone in a game. He went up in the air and his feet kicked up - could he have tried to keep them lower? sure. But he definitely did not kick his skates in the guys neck on purpose. It happened in a split second.

Xenon

Its definitely not intentional people, come on people lol, no one intentionally kills someone in a game. He went up in the air and his feet kicked up - could he have tried to keep them lower? sure. But he definitely did not kick his skates in the guys neck on purpose. It happened in a split second.

Nobody's saying that he tried to kill the guy. But it seems pretty obvious that he was extending his leg to trip the guy up. It just so happens that the Johnson was, leaning back which created and angle where the skate slid straight up his body to his neck.

I just can't see anything in the video that would explain why the leg would be raised like that. Nothing hit it. Seems like a reckless move on Petgrave's part. Does he have a history of doing this type of stuff?

Not 100% because of the resolution i'm seeing, Also only Petgrave knows his true motivation.

Last edited:

Horatius

here's the video for those who haven't seen, it's grainy so not super gruesome on its own but obviously you're watching something that killed a man so act accordingly

some fucking accident lol, reporting is borderline disgusting on this one, this is straight up manslaughter

karate kick to the throat with a razor sharp skate, gee i wonder what the possible outcomes are of that gee wiz

Represent.

here's the video for those who haven't seen, it's grainy so not super gruesome on its own but obviously you're watching something that killed a man so act accordingly

some fucking accident lol, reporting is borderline disgusting on this one, this is straight up manslaughter

karate kick to the throat with a razor sharp skate, gee i wonder what the possible outcomes are of that gee wiz

Have you ever watched hockey? Skates go up quite often after a hit, they just never hit necks. I can show you probably 100 video of this same shit happening but just not hitting a neck... which is what makes it a freak accident. thinking this was on purpose is just plain whack

MacReady13

Horrific. Absolutely horrific. I’m from Australia so ice hockey really isn’t a thing here but some of you are mentioning a neck protector. Why the hell isn’t that a thing already?
By the way, doesn’t look accidental to me. Although slowing things down especially in sports don’t do anyone any favours and gain, I’m no expert in hockey so I don’t know if shit like this is common.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm curious if it looks intentional, but it just feels wrong to watch it, so I'm going to pass.
Certainly he didn't mean to do that even if he threw his feet up a bit more.

Portugeezer

That clip is rough, RIP.

Looks accidental, rewatching and slow motion can be misleading, these accidents happen in sports and constantly replaying an accident always looks work.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Definitely looked like he tried to kick while falling

Scotty W

Gold Member
Looks like he meant to kick up, but I doubt he meant to kill him, probably kust to mess with the guy. He should probably be in prison. There is no way Petgrave can continue to play in the NHL, not when at least a fairly large proportion of the players think it was intentional.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Im surprised so few neck injuries happen from skates or pucks. Aside from goalies, pretty sure no NHL players ever wear neck guards.

Mr1999

Ok, watching the video in slow motion and zoomed in, it's now easier to see that it wasn't a freak accident. It even looks like there were two chops near the end, one that went to his neck area and the other even higher around the top of his helmet. He also skates away like he knew he did something wrong while even his own team mates were rushing to get some help. I don't think he was trying to kill him but definitely trying to hurt him in some way. I guess only he knows what he was trying to do, but it's all there. Someone was saying there was footage of another angle, but I have yet to see that one.

Last edited:

Superkewl

Gold Member
Anyone who has actually played ice hockey competitively will know that this was an accident. You can see the guy's skate bang into the other guy's skate in front of him and it shot his leg up like a slingshot. If you don't have much experience playing hockey, you might not get it. Weird(and terrible) stuff happens on the ice sometimes.

Mr1999

Anyone who has actually played ice hockey competitively will know that this was an accident. You can see the guy's skate bang into the other guy's skate in front of him and it shot his leg up like a slingshot. If you don't have much experience playing hockey, you might not get it. Weird(and terrible) stuff happens on the ice sometimes.

Been reading the latest comments on the largest hockey forum, a good amount of them, probably more than half now are saying it was no freak accident, him dying yes. Players are saying that your body would not react in such way with a weak initial hit, it doesn't even look like his skate clipped to be honest and in slow motion he is looking at the player and his skate goes twice, one to the neck and the other to the head, the zoomed up video is pretty damning.

I know the quality is not so good, but this is even more compressed, there is a webm which is cleaner.
U9ync8h.gif

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have never played but to me it looks more like he tried to take his leg and sweep the other player and pretty much missed his foot causing it to fly up in the air

The reason I say this watching it in slow mo the guys skate is on the right side of the player he tried to hit, he pushes his leg out and the other player's foot never flinches as he missed his target

Again having never played I honestly don't know but I would think if he banged into the other guys skate with such force it throws his leg in the air that far the guy he banged into would have at least flinched

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Sad.

I don't think the other player was trying to kill him, but it does look like he was trying to kick him. And the amount of blood he lost when they moved him was unreal. I don't se a reason your skate ever gets that high.

MikeM

Canadian here that played a ton growing up too (I have family who plays NHL/AHL). Neck guards were mandatory but not sure how it is now. Never found them restrictive so not sure why players don’t wear them.

Completely avoidable with safety gear, but that hit is very questionable. Irrelevant now though.

Delt31

I've played ice hockey my entire life and still play now.

Based on the incredibly compressed video, I've never seen a player react like that with the lift of their leg and slingshot effect. Never ever and that's my experience playing and watching NHL my entire life too. Players are well aware they have blades on their skates and do their best to be safe. That is a crazy video.

What a terrible tragedy.

EDIT - I just saw the better quality video in post #15 - whaaaaaaat? No doubt - absolutely no doubt the guy cuts in, and then lifts his leg and ultimately skate into the player. I've never seen something like that in my entire life.

Last edited:

Shodai

Explain the physics then. I don't need to be a hockey player to see something isn't adding up.

Been reading the latest comments on the largest hockey forum, a good amount of them, probably more than half now are saying it was no freak accident, him dying yes. Players are saying that your body would not react in such way with a weak initial hit, it doesn't even look like his skate clipped to be honest and in slow motion he is looking at the player and his skate goes twice, one to the neck and the other to the head, the zoomed up video is pretty damning.

I know the quality is not so good, but this is even more compressed, there is a webm which is cleaner.

U9ync8h.gif
This definitely makes it look more intentional that I originally thought.

HoodWinked

ya seems like most people that have the stomach to watch the video are saying its intentional.

maybe not to the degree that he wanted him dead but being careless in that manner there is that chance that you cause real damage. involuntary manslaughter at the minimum.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
It was careless, but intentional? No hockey player lifts his skates up that high intentionally unless they want to kill someone. He lost control. Seems like he tried to make a hit, lost his footing and his feet went flying. This happens all the time on HFboards where people overanalyze a blurred out video replayed in slow motion frame by frame.

"You see when that black pixel appears at 1m30.5765s? That's when he decided to kill the guy!"

Just google "hockey players go flying" and you'll find dozens of videos of hockey players skates going up. Here are two guys from a random video. If the experts at HFboards are to be believed, this was actually kick boxing battle to the death and not a hockey game:

Last edited:

Danknugz

It was careless, but intentional? No hockey player lifts his skates up that high intentionally unless they want to kill someone. He lost control. Seems like he tried to make a hit, lost his footing and his feet went flying. This happens all the time on HFboards where people overanalyze a blurred out video replayed in slow motion frame by frame.

"You see when that black pixel appears at 1m30.5765s? That's when he decided to kill the guy!"

Just google "hockey players go flying" and you'll find dozens of videos of hockey players skates going up. Here are two guys from a random video. If the experts at HFboards are to be believed, this was actually kick boxing battle to the death and not a hockey game:
the video the guy isn't really falling down and losing control of his skates like in your photo though, he clearly aims and kicks where his head is facing in a similar manner to someone aiming to kick an apple off someone's head

BossLackey

Gold Member
I watched the video probably 50 times. There is ZERO doubt in my mind that the kick was intentional. He obviously wasn't looking to grievously wound or kill, but he was absolutely going for a dirty hit there.

Comments to the contrary on TikTok make me feel fucking crazy.

TurboGrafx16

Neo Member

U9ync8h.gif
Jeez.

That really does look like two hits. One to the neck area quickly followed by another hit to the head/helmet area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom