• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex- NHL Player, Adam Johnson, 29, dies after getting his neck slashed by a skate in freak accident during game.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
Thats literally my argument, smart guy - It was an accident. You? Intentional. Murder. Manslaughter at minimum.

Correct. Because its fucking stupid to think this was intentional. Period. I've explained why. I've shown countless examples of the same thing happening with a different result. You ignore it. Thats a you issue.

If I'm the meteorologist, you're the the genius who puts an electrical fire out with water.

A bunch of blind people laughing at the man with one eye.

It's all starting to make sense.

You either haven't understood anything anyone has said or you're being intentionally obtuse. Either way it's pointless talking to you.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Represent. Represent.

You have no idea what you're talking about. You also clearly have never played ice hockey (in real life). Please stop talking, as someone who has actually played ice hockey forever.
Receipts please. No one who actually plays hockey calls it "ice hockey".
I'm not saying this guy intended to kill someone however he was going for a dirty dirty play and it got out of hand.
Then why hasn't been suspended by the league?
That previous video of him tripping the other player, is another dirty play.
Everybody trips everybody in games. That's called a 2 minute power play. It happens like 5 times a period. Are you sure you play hockey?
This guy should be banned from hockey.
Should Brad Marchand be banned from hockey? Raffi Torres? How many times did that guy get suspended? Max Domi? Nazem Kadri?

Petgrave has played hockey for 14 years and has 3 suspensions. Domi, Kadri and Marchand are still playing today and have more than that in less time. Should they be banned for wreckless play?
Represent. Represent. Let me ask you a question. So in your mind there is 0 chance that he kicked the guy on purpose?
Thats exactly what I'm saying. So is the league. So is the team he played for. So is the family. So are the fucking police. But UnravelKatharsis UnravelKatharsis told me he did it on purpose so I guess we're all wrong.

NHL needs to mandate neck guards to prevent this shit from happening again. Which I suspect they will eventually. End of discussion

Represent.

Represent. Represent. The league said there is 0% chance that he kicked him on purpose? and even if he didn't do it on purpose the guy died. I don't think many people crash on purpose but they are still held accountable if they cause a crash and someone dies. So this guy should get manslaughter charges at minimum.
Sports have separate rules.

If a boxer punches a guy and he dies. That boxer isn’t getting charged with manslaughter.

If a hockey player punches a guy in the face. He’s not getting charged with assault.

And yes, the league made a statement and in the statement they call it a freak accident.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
Represent. Represent. The league said their is 0% chance that he kicked him on purpose? and even if he didn't do it on purpose the guy died. I don't think many people crash on purpose but they are still held accountable if they cause a crash and someone dies. So this guy should get manslaughter charges at minimum.

You got your answer. He thinks there's zero chance. This is like Adam sandlers speech at the end of Billy Madison. Nonsensical. And we're all dumber for having listened to it.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

If a boxer punches a guy and he dies. That boxer isn’t getting charged with manslaughter.

If a hockey player punches a guy in the face. He’s not getting charged with assault.

And yes, the league made a statement and in the statement they call it a freak accident.
The objective in boxing is to literally punch each other. The objective in hockey is to put a puck in the net. Not quite the same.

Represent.

The objective in boxing is to literally punch each other. The objective in hockey is to put a puck in the net. Not quite the same.
There is fighting in hockey. It’s part of the sport.

What I said is factual.

A hockey player won’t be charged with assault for punching a guy and knocking him out.

Try doing that outside of the rink.

I feel like I’m explaining sex to a bunch of virgins

Last edited:

What I said is factual.

A hockey player won’t be charged with assault for punching a guy and knocking him out.

Well maybe if we 'do sex' your way it would be unintentional, right? 😂

What I said is factual.

South Yorkshire Police: "Due to the complex nature of this tragic and unprecedented incident, it is likely the wider investigation will take some time"

I imagine there will be some serious digging going on... Even to the point of deep combing social medias... Everything.

Interesting feature up on the telegraph, your boy Avery...

"The ice hockey player whose stray kick slashed an opponent’s throat was making an “unorthodox move” and “absolutely” trying to make contact, a former National Hockey League player has claimed."

Represent.

South Yorkshire Police: "Due to the complex nature of this tragic and unprecedented incident, it is likely the wider investigation will take some time"

I imagine there will be some serious digging going on... Even to the point of deep combing social medias... Everything.

Interesting feature up on the telegraph, your boy Avery...

"The ice hockey player whose stray kick slashed an opponent’s throat was making an “unorthodox move” and “absolutely” trying to make contact, a former National Hockey League player has claimed."
Sean Avery is a clown and one of the few NHL players to ever have his contract terminated. His wife also has a restraining order against him, and when he played he was known as the biggest pest in the league, and teams would constantly trade him away. He says/does shit to stir the pot, always has.

Anyways, we're done here. We'll see what the police say. Pretty sure I'll be bumping this thread in a bit with the conclusion being im right.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

What I said is factual.

I didn't ask if there was fighting. What is the objective in hockey? I'm convinced you're trolling on the spectrum or have some sort of personality disorder

Last edited:

Represent.

I didn't ask if there was fighting. What is the objective in hockey? I'm convinced you're trolling or are on the spectrum
What the fuck does the objective of the sport have to do with the facts?

If a hockey player punches a guy, he doesn't get charged with assault. Because sports have different rules. That is a fact.

The oBjEcTiVe is irrelevant. You're just trying to win an argument.

Sean Avery is a clown and one of the few NHL players to ever have his contract terminated. His wife also has a restraining order against him, and when he played he was known as the biggest pest in the league, and teams would constantly trade him away. He says/does shit to stir the pot, always has.

Anyways, we're done here. We'll see what the police say. Pretty sure I'll be bumping this thread in a bit with the conclusion being im right.
Wait a minute... So NOW you're... But he's a former professional though is he not?

Actually - I have this all wrong... Let's pretend we didn't get a verdict from him who has a lesser understanding and knowledge of the sport than someone as yourself that possesses such a high-calibre of insight...

🤔...Hmmm... 🤔 Erm... I guess that would be you, Champ! Ya got my vote! 👌

Represent.

Wait a minute... So NOW you're... But he's a former professional though is he not?

Actually - I have this all wrong... Let's pretend we didn't get a verdict from him who has a lesser understanding and knowledge of the sport than someone as yourself that possesses such a high-calibre of insight...

🤔...Hmmm... 🤔 Erm... I guess that would be you, Champ! Ya got my vote! 👌
If you wanna play that game, there are probably 10:1 players who have said it was an accident.

Everyone from Sidney Crosby to Morgan Rielly, CURRENT players who said it was an accident.

But sure lets grasp to the one (former) player who had his contract terminated for reckless play and ignore everyone else
cruise.png
5a66b0585eadf_grimacecopy.png

Even Adams coach said it was a freak accident. But again... lets ignore all that and listen to you
cruise.png

Last edited:
If you wanna play that game, there are probably 10:1 players who have said it was an accident.

Everyone from Sidney Crosby to Morgan Rielly, CURRENT players who said it was an accident.

But sure lets grasp to the one (former) player who had his contract terminated for reckless play and ignore everyone else
cruise.png
5a66b0585eadf_grimacecopy.png

Even Adams coach said it was a freak accident. But again... lets ignore all that and listen to you
cruise.png
I'm bored of you now, but before I leave...

...Let me just check my list of things I don't actually care about...

- Radishes
- Rancid (the band)
- Rawhide (the TV show)
- Represent. (Posts of)

There you are! It's in THERE! Right in the 'R' section. Now, take this post back to the stables... And give it a kiss! 😘

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I think once you see it one way it's hard to see it another.

It looks a lot to me like the guy piled into the other player. All his momentum is going toward the other player, he collides and his left foot is way over to his right hand side, and he will fall. He goes to put his left foot ahead of himself to bear the weight, it gets caught on the other guys skate.

He leans away from the momentum to stop himself falling and puts his foot up high to counterbalance himself, and that's when the connection occurs.

In the zoomed in slowmo versions of this, you don't get that sense of momentum and even can miss that his left foot appears to catch on the other guy's skate.

I assume there's no other footage of the incident to give a clearer representation of what's happening, it's difficult to make anything out in the blurry videos at this angle, but the second "kick" I'm not even convinced it's not the guy's gloved hand coming up that with the movement, the blur and the lack of frames to actually look at means it's open for interpretation, and like I say, I think once you perceive it one way it's hard to see it another.
Absolutely. This is a low res video where we can’t even tell what pixels represent which limbs. It’s also slows down a play that happened in a fraction of a second into what seems like forever. It’s hard to draw any definite conclusions and people who watch it over and over again are just trying to convince themselves they see something.

Is it possible he kicked him intentionally? Sure. But it’s very doubtful. I’ll post a screen cap break down to justify my opinion later when I have time, but it’s also worth asking why he would have kicked him? That is not something hockey players do. There are dirty and reckless plays that have traditionally been in a grey area but are now being clamped down on, but kicking goes beyond the pale and is not one of those. Even if the other player had not died, his career would have been over and he likely would have faced criminal charges for attempting to intentionally kick an opponent.

Absolutely. This is a low res video where we can’t even tell what pixels represent which limbs. It’s also slows down a play that happened in a fraction of a second into what seems like forever. It’s hard to draw any definite conclusions and people who watch it over and over again are just trying to convince themselves they see something.

Is it possible he kicked him intentionally? Sure. But it’s very doubtful. I’ll post a screen cap break down to justify my opinion later when I have time, but it’s also worth asking why he would have kicked him? That is not something hockey players do. There are dirty and reckless plays that have traditionally been in a grey area but are now being clamped down on, but kicking goes beyond the pale and is not one of those. Even if the other player had not died, his career would have been over and he likely would have faced criminal charges for attempting to intentionally kick an opponent.

He kicked to try and get contact in, just like he has a history of doing. Blowing hits and swinging his skate at players. This time his foot bounced and caused his leg to extend high. The intent may not be murder and hit that high, but the intent to hit somewhere on his body was there

Thaedolus

Gold Member
it wasn't intentional, people just like to complain and make conspiracies up.
It’s more like they just don’t know how a player can get flipped up like that as hockey players sometimes do. So it appears to them it’s on purpose because they don’t watch hockey. I mean I’ve seen all sorts of guys losing an edge and just endo-ing but even knowing that, it just looks like he jabs his skate at him, even though I’m sure he didn’t intend to

Delt31

Represent. Represent.

I intentionally said ice hockey to give you the benefit of the doubt of actually playing some form of hockey in your (real) life. You clearly have never played ice hockey, which is just further verified by the fact you're asking for receipts.

Nothing else to say here that hasn't already been said. More to come from this for sure.

And the less you talk, the better for everyone, including you.

Represent.

Im the only person in here making any sense and using actual facts as part of their argument. The rest of you are posting a bunch of "looks like and what if's"

No suspension
No punishment
League released a statement saying it was a freak accident
Players on both teams said freak accident
Coach said freak accident
Family said freak accident
Other examples posted of similar things happening with different results

But nope! the NeoGAF hockey experts are right. he intentionally kicked him with skates on. lmfao

Delt31 Delt31 You have no clue what you're talking about, and if you do play hockey, quit.

Last edited:

TurboGrafx16

Neo Member
Family said freak accident
NOPE. I don’t think Johnson’s family said that. I can only find quotes from his aunt though.

“It was very reckless,” Kari said of the “horrific tragedy” while speaking from her Minnesota home. “I just want them [authorities investigating] to get it right. We are looking for justice for Adam.

Kari, who recalled watching the game at home in real-time with Johnson’s parents, said Petgrave’s movement was “totally unnecessary” after she reviewed “hundreds” of replays of the brutal scene.

“We are absolutely calling for a complete investigation,” she said. “You don’t take your leg and kick somebody and cut their throat. I’m sorry.”

Kari said what she saw was “not hockey”
during the controversial play, which took place at the Utilita Arena in Sheffield.

“My nephew was 6-feet tall, and whether you lost your balance or not, to have that leg come up that high and do a kicking motion like he did, that is just unacceptable,” she said.

“I think the actions were unnecessary. It was just unnecessary. Nobody touched him. I’ve watched that video hundreds of times.

“That’s not a hockey play, that’s not a check. I understand that every team has an enforcer, per se, on their team.

“I’m sure Mr. Petgrave probably didn’t even think about the consequences could be of that happening, but there comes a time when you have to realize, that’s not hockey.

“And I’m sure he’s going through a lot too, but he took our boy. There are a few of us in the family that think it was a totally unnecessary, very, very bad action to take.”

Kari explained that she will “have to accept” the eventual outcome of the investigation.

If they find against what I feel, I will have to accept that. But I’ve felt throughout it’s very, very reckless and unnecessary,” she said.

Represent.

NOPE. I don’t think Johnson’s family said that. I can only find quotes from his aunt though.

“It was very reckless,” Kari said of the “horrific tragedy” while speaking from her Minnesota home. “I just want them [authorities investigating] to get it right. We are looking for justice for Adam.

Kari, who recalled watching the game at home in real-time with Johnson’s parents, said Petgrave’s movement was “totally unnecessary” after she reviewed “hundreds” of replays of the brutal scene.

“We are absolutely calling for a complete investigation,” she said. “You don’t take your leg and kick somebody and cut their throat. I’m sorry.”

Kari said what she saw was “not hockey”
during the controversial play, which took place at the Utilita Arena in Sheffield.

“My nephew was 6-feet tall, and whether you lost your balance or not, to have that leg come up that high and do a kicking motion like he did, that is just unacceptable,” she said.

“I think the actions were unnecessary. It was just unnecessary. Nobody touched him. I’ve watched that video hundreds of times.

“That’s not a hockey play, that’s not a check. I understand that every team has an enforcer, per se, on their team.

“I’m sure Mr. Petgrave probably didn’t even think about the consequences could be of that happening, but there comes a time when you have to realize, that’s not hockey.

“And I’m sure he’s going through a lot too, but he took our boy. There are a few of us in the family that think it was a totally unnecessary, very, very bad action to take.”

Kari explained that she will “have to accept” the eventual outcome of the investigation.

If they find against what I feel, I will have to accept that. But I’ve felt throughout it’s very, very reckless and unnecessary,” she said.
First I've heard of the fam speaking out.
So is she saying it was intentional? Or just a wreckless play that needs to be investigated. Theres a big difference between the 2.
Either way the police will be the final judge and I dont think they have enough to charge Petgrave at the end of the day

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
First I've heard of the fam speaking out.
So is she saying it was intentional?

Lol God damn man can you even read? Does she have to utter the words "I think it was intentional" for you to understand the context of what's being said? She uses numerous phrases that indicate she thinks it was dirty play and "not hockey," and that "If they find against what I feel, I will have to accept that."

If you're engaging in "dirty plays" that anyone would agree could be dangerous, then when it goes wrong the blood is on your hands and yes he should be facing some consequence.

And there you have it. She thinks it was, if not an intentional murder, definitely an intentionally reckless play (which aligns with what most level headed people believe.) And we all know according to you the families opinion is all that matters so, case closed right?

Right?

Course not you'll just argue that's not what she meant or she doesn't play hockey so why should we listen to her.

Last edited:

I’d say given how much of a goon Sean Avery is, he’s uniquely qualified to provide an assessment in this matter.

Represent.

Lol God damn man can you even read? Does she have to utter the words "I think it was intentional" for you to understand the context of what's being said? She uses numerous phrases that indicate she thinks it was dirty play and "not hockey," and that "If they find against what I feel, I will have to accept that."

If you're engaging in "dirty plays" that anyone would agree could be dangerous, then when it goes wrong the blood is on your hands and yes he should be facing some consequence.

And there you have it. She thinks it was, if not an intentional murder, definitely an intentionally reckless play (which aligns with what most level headed people believe.) And we all know according to you the families opinion is all that matters so, case closed right?

Right?

Course not you'll just argue that's not what she meant or she doesn't play hockey so why should we listen to her.
God you're dumb.

Someone saying "I feel it was reckless and unnecessary" does not fucking equate to "He intentionally kicked my nephew in the throat"

I am saying: "I feel it was reckless and unnecessary to raise his leg that high"
You are saying: "He intentionally kicked him in the throat, that was his intent"

Do you not see the fucking difference? You know what? Just stop quoting me. You have less sense than a rock.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
God you're dumb.

Someone saying "I feel it was reckless and unnecessary" does not fucking equate to "He intentionally kicked my nephew in the throat"

I am saying: "I feel it was reckless and unnecessary to raise his leg that high"
You are saying: "He intentionally kicked him in the throat, that was his intent"

Do you not see the fucking difference? You know what? Just stop quoting me. You have less sense than a rock.

You've misquoted and misrepresented my words every single time. You're a troll and a moron. You haven't made a genuine argument all thread long and you've moved your own goalposts. Stop trolling and making brainless statements and inferences and I won't quote you. Simple.

Last edited:

Mr1999

I'd like to make it clear again and say that I don't think Petgrave woke up like someone mentioned and thought "I'm going to kill someone today", its an accident similar to how an accident would be seen if I were to run a red light and end up killing someone.

I knew a guy personally who would install entertainment equipment for a living with his van, he would always run a red light, not completely blind, but if he were at a stop light and saw no one coming, he would gun it.

99 percent of the time he knew no one was coming, but you really never know, what if one day a car comes screaming by as you try to gun it, it's similar to what happened here, he rolled the dice and ended up killing the guy.

You know its a bad hit because if you asked Petgrave now he probably would have not done that, it looked risky and that's coming from other players, forget about what I think.

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
I'd like to make it clear again and say that I don't think Petgrave woke up like someone mentioned and thought "I'm going to kill someone today", its an accident similar to how an accident would be seen if I were to run a red light and end up killing someone.

I knew a guy personally who would install entertainment equipment for a living with his van, he would always run a red light, not completely blind, but if he were at a stop light and saw no one coming, he would gun it.

99 percent of the time he knew no one was coming, but you really never know, what if one day a car comes screaming by as you try to gun it, it's similar to what happened here, he rolled the dice and ended up killing the guy.

You know its a bad hit because if you asked Petgrave now he probably would have not done that, it looked risky and that's coming from other players, forget about what I think.

100% agree, I said the same thing and that's what most of us level headed people are saying but apparently if you make this benign claim you're guilty of calling Petgrave an intentional murderer 🤷

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
You want to see murder?

How the guy is not cut immediately from the NFL is beyond me.

If there is consensus among experts that it was a dirty play, he should be never be allowed to play again

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
You want to see murder?

If there is consensus among experts that it was a dirty play, he should be never be allowed to play again

Like I said no one here is accusing Petgrave of murder. The sooner we stop conflating the offence here the better.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Dude should face some sort of manslaughter charge. That ain't no normal hit. If his intent was to get a hit in with BLADED SKATES without killing but we ended up here it's f'ing manslaughter imo.

Braag

Kinda reminds me of this incident, but this guy actually survived despite blood clearly gushing out of his throat.

DavidGzz

He looked to where he was kicking. Intentional af. Like others said, he may not have been aiming for the neck for a lethal blow, but it looked like he knew there was going to be a collision and he put his leg up to deflect the other player.

nbcjr

You want to see murder?

Video unavailable. was it showing a new angle?

Last edited:

TurboGrafx16

Neo Member
BBC is reporting an arrest has been made for manslaughter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-67419951

A man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in connection with the death of ice hockey player Adam Johnson, whose neck was cut during a match.
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

Sybrix

Unfortunately i saw the video on Reddit at the time, it was horrific.

I don't watch hockey at all., however from what i saw, the alleged perpetrator launched his foot about 6ft off the ground at the guy blades first. Does this occurace happen in hockey? Is it even legal in the context of the game?

A man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in connection with the death of ice hockey player Adam Johnson, whose neck was cut during a match.
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.
Just came hear to post this.

Now, this ain't good at all. ☹️

Represent.

A joke honestly, but I highly doubts he gets charged.

Top Bottom