• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex- NHL Player, Adam Johnson, 29, dies after getting his neck slashed by a skate in freak accident during game.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Only joke around here are your opinions
awww.gif

VulcanRaven

Unfortunately i saw the video on Reddit at the time, it was horrific.

I don't watch hockey at all., however from what i saw, the alleged perpetrator launched his foot about 6ft off the ground at the guy blades first. Does this occurace happen in hockey? Is it even legal in the context of the game?
I watched the video and to me it looks like he flew in the air because he collided with the other player.

Last edited:

GymWolf

There’s a reason it’s only twitter nerds and people who have never watched a second of the sport who think it’s on purpose.

Yes, a man who has zero history with the deceased player decided to kick him in his throat with skates on. What a stupid take.

It’s the fastest sport on earth. You’re playing with a rubber puck on ice with knives of your feet. It’s a physical sport. Shit happens. After a big hit, sometimes your feet fly in the air.

Literally not even his family is saying it’s intentional. Literally only people who don’t know shit about the sport and angry twitter nerds who seek controversy at every turn. If it was intentional, his family would be asking for justice. But as usual it’s just a loud as shit minority blabbing their stupid mouths off.

But ok. Let’s go with he purposely hit the man in the neck with skates on for no reason and ruined his life for no nothing.
People are not arguing about the will to kill, but about the will to kick.

Maybe the dude tried to kick a leg or the torso and it got out of hands.

Nobody think that petgrave wanted to actually kill the dude because he is a stone cold killer, but it looks like he wanted to at least stop him with a dangerous move, both things can be true.

Liamario

Banned
I've never watched ice hockey, but that fall was very strange if it was accidental. Why did he kick his legs up? I don't think he tried to kill him, but from a position of being human being and falling in the past, that's a strange way to fall.

Delt31

A joke honestly, but I highly doubts he gets charged.

So now there is an arrest.....and you're wrong again. But more importantly, why would anyone care what you think at this point? It's funny that you still post here as if you even matter. How many times can you be wrong before you just look at yourself in the mirror and realize you're a complete joke? I know you won't certainly admit it online but I truly do pity you. So sad. And feel free to write some half witted response as to why you're right - no one cares and I'm no longer showing your responses in an effort to limit any more stupidity from you.

Glad to hear this guy was arrested b/c anyone with half a brain could see what happened and the arrest just corroborated this.

Trilobit

So many people were completely convinced that the police can't do anything because it was on the ice. Now some are even worried how a possible charge could affect the game.

That's messed up. A person has died and the most important thing is that the police investigates the whole thing.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
So many people were completely convinced that the police can't do anything because it was on the ice. Now some are even worried how a possible charge could affect the game.

That's messed up. A person has died and the most important thing is that the police investigates the whole thing.
It's crazy that the guy got a standing ovation. Sports were a mistake.

Represent.

People are not arguing about the will to kill, but about the will to kick.

Maybe the dude tried to kick a leg or the torso and it got out of hands.

Nobody think that petgrave wanted to actually kill the dude because he is a stone cold killer, but it looks like he wanted to at least stop him with a dangerous move, both things can be true.
I get all that. My issue is with the word “intentional” . It seems people here have no idea what the fuck that means lol.

He made a wreckless play that ended up taking the life of a player.

That makes it a wreckless play.

Not “intentional”. The word “intent” has one meaning and one meaning only. And people here try to dilute the meaning of the word.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I get all that. My issue is with the word “intentional” . It seems people here have no idea what the fuck that means lol.

Not “intentional”. The word “intent” has one meaning and one meaning only. And people here try to dilute the meaning of the word.
He intended to make a reckless play. It's not that hard.

Represent.

So now there is an arrest.....and you're wrong again. But more importantly, why would anyone care what you think at this point? It's funny that you still post here as if you even matter. How many times can you be wrong before you just look at yourself in the mirror and realize you're a complete joke? I know you won't certainly admit it online but I truly do pity you. So sad. And feel free to write some half witted response as to why you're right - no one cares and I'm no longer showing your responses in an effort to limit any more stupidity from you.

Glad to hear this guy was arrested b/c anyone with half a brain could see what happened and the arrest just corroborated this.
Holy shit lol. Were you crying as you typed this? Step outside, get some fresh air.

GymWolf

I think people use the word intentional to define the will to kick\make a reckless foul, not for the intent to kill or seriously injure the dude.

The kick\foul was intentional, the intent to kill was not intentional.

We are really discussing semantics here and english is not even my native language.

P.s. guys let's maintain civil tones, a dude died in this story.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good to hear that he's at least getting arrested. After seeing people retardedly applauding his return. (When I first saw this I thought they were applauding the person that was killed)

Interesting how the cops try to keep the name confidential when everyone has known it was Petgrave since the beginning.

Represent.

How does missing a check cause you to kick high like that?
nhl-hit.gif

Look at this gif. Missed hit. Skate in the air.

I mean this literally happens in every single game.

If #44 (Zack Kassian of the Edmonton Oilers) is turned the other way, facing the blade, that skate hits his throat. It's just an unfortunate event/freak accident.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Going to be impossible to prove he meant to do it. Although looking at the shitty quality video him doing a flying karate kick seems suspicious. You rarely see that in hockey. Sometimes you do see guys wipe out or get blindsided by a huge hip check and they do a cartwheel face forward. But it's rare.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
nhl-hit.gif

Look at this gif. Missed hit. Skate in the air.

I mean this literally happens in every single game.

If #44 (Zack Kassian of the Edmonton Oilers) is turned the other way, facing the blade, that skate hits his throat. It's just an unfortunate event/freak accident.
The leg only goes in the air when he's check into the boards.

That dude who kicked his leg up and it unfortunately killed a guy, was on open ice.

Last edited:

Represent.

The leg only goes in the air when he's check into the boards.

That dude who kicked his leg up and it unfortunately killed a guy, was on open ice.
nhl-hit-2.gif

Point is after you miss a hit it's not uncommon for your foot to go flying in the air and look like a kicking motion.

" I need to address something about the accident," Johnson's teammate posted on X, formerly Twitter. "We wholeheartedly stand with Matt Petgrave. The hate that Matt is receiving is terrible and completely uncalled for.

"I was at the ice level on the bench closest to the accident, I saw both players moving fast. The unintentional clip of the Panther player's leg by the Sheffield player caused the somersault.

"It's clear to me his actions were unintentional, and anyone suggesting otherwise is mistaken, Let's come together and not spread unwarranted hate to someone who needs our support."

It's part of UK due diligence, they can arrest to question him it doesn't mean he's guilty. Someone died, it's part of the process but hey im wrong and dumb. Lets see if these charges stick. UnravelKatharsis UnravelKatharsis might have a heart attack if they do

Last edited:
Presumably the police are looking at the actual HD footage and not some potato-cam recording of a television. One would think with decent footage it won't be hard to tell if his leg went up from contact or he went full karate retard. Arrest implies the latter. Imagine giving this dude a standing ovation... did they come to the hockey game straight from the pro-Hamas rally?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
nhl-hit-2.gif

Point is after you miss a hit it's not uncommon for your foot to go flying in the air and look like a kicking motion.

" I need to address something about the accident," Johnson's teammate posted on X, formerly Twitter. "We wholeheartedly stand with Matt Petgrave. The hate that Matt is receiving is terrible and completely uncalled for.

"I was at the ice level on the bench closest to the accident, I saw both players moving fast. The unintentional clip of the Panther player's leg by the Sheffield player caused the somersault.

"It's clear to me his actions were unintentional, and anyone suggesting otherwise is mistaken, Let's come together and not spread unwarranted hate to someone who needs our support."

It's part of UK due diligence, they can arrest to question him it doesn't mean he's guilty. Someone died, it's part of the process but hey im wrong and dumb. Lets see if these charges stick. UnravelKatharsis UnravelKatharsis might have a heart attack if they do
Every gif you share, you are showing collisions.

Homeboy touched nobody and came in with a blindside kick well above the waist.

Just stop.

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member

Tams

Petgrave is going to spend a few years in prison and never play ice hockey again. Not that anyone would want to get on the ice with him now anyway.

There's no conspiracy about the time between the incident and the arrest, nor the arrestee not being named. Both are required by the law.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Just stop.

You're using a blurry low resolution video that is difficult to make out. To me it seems like he makes contact with the leading Nottingham player, with his left shoulder definitely contacting him and his left or right skate also potentially clipping the right skate of the leading player. He then loses his footing and goes flying. It seems unlikely he would go flying like that without a collision. Both his knees are flexed and his head is facing away from the deceased player, which is also not consistent with a kicking motion.

This is also how a team mate of the deceased player who saw the hit at ice level described it:

Essentially, the Sheffield player (who is now charged) clipped the leg of the leading Nottingham player and somersaulted.

There are a few examples from the NHL of similar episodes in this video. Obviously much higher quality:

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Just stop.

If he did collide with the other white jersey and lost control. How does his left leg go up first instead of the right leg, as he trips?

Top Bottom