• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex- NHL Player, Adam Johnson, 29, dies after getting his neck slashed by a skate in freak accident during game.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
“I stabbed him on purpose and he died. I didn’t mean to kill him!”

That’s your stupid ass argument.

Now stop quoting me.
The moment you start acting like a reasonable, intelligent, calculating individual I will stop quoting you.

So basically never.

You misrepresented my words again.

I'll make it even easier for someone like you to understand:

Guy kick other guy. Not try to hit neck. Try to hit leg. Oops. Guy missed. Hit neck. Other guy die. Kick on purpose. Kill not on purpose. Guy was wreckless ( I spelled it wrong so you'd recognize that word).

Now, proceed to misrepresent my words again and accuse me and everyone else of calling him a murderer.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
here's the video for those who haven't seen, it's grainy so not super gruesome on its own but obviously you're watching something that killed a man so act accordingly

some fucking accident lol, reporting is borderline disgusting on this one, this is straight up manslaughter

karate kick to the throat with a razor sharp skate, gee i wonder what the possible outcomes are of that gee wiz

It absolutely looks intentional. He held onto the guy in front to even be able to swing like that and his head was turned toward him the whole time. Maybe he only meant to push him away in the chest but swinging out like that seems like it was fully planned.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
Uhhh. Most people are defending him. The man got a fucking standing ovation. GAF is the outlier. You guys are the weird ones. Not me.

Maybe think about that for a second.

Venture out of your echo chamber. Every YouTube video, every tweet I read is post after post of condemning, not defending him. This was the very first one I clicked on. I could've screenshotted hundreds just like it. These shouldn't exist according to you. I'm sure these people with years of playing and watching don't know anything either though.

God damn why am I even talking to you as if you're a serious person? You have to be trolling no one can be this dense.

dXttrPR.jpg
8EnQQu9.jpg

simpatico

Uhhh. Most people are defending him. The man got a fucking standing ovation. GAF is the outlier. You guys are the weird ones. Not me.

I've seen two types. Extreme hockey nerds, and rando's (potentially bots) in the replies of 500k engagement tweets. The responses like yours in this thread are actually some of the most organic seeming supportive posts I've seen outside of the extreme hockey nerds (and they're do a similar decathlon of logic to come to their conclusions).

Venture out of your echo chamber. Every YouTube video, every tweet I read is post after post of condemning, not defending him. This was the very first one I clicked on. I could've screenshotted hundreds just like it. These shouldn't exist according to you. I'm sure these people with years of playing and watching don't know anything either though.

God damn why am I even talking to you as if you're a serious person? You have to be trolling no one can be this dense.

dXttrPR.jpg
8EnQQu9.jpg
to be fair youtube is full of conspiracy theorist and anyone can lie saying they have been a fan for years. nobody is going to kill someone over a hockey game, he didnt do it on purpose.

Soodanim

Gold Member

I don't know what the wider opinion of the world is, but that's not exactly an unbiased source of information.
  1. Home fan bias
  2. Not everyone is clapping in clips I saw
  3. Ice hockey is a small sample size.
If I want to find out what the world thinks of something I'm not going to make a thread on ResetEra.

Again, I fully understand that people looking from the outside of a box can judge without understanding the intricacies of whatever box they're looking into. But this is a professional skate wearer who to many people - fans and non-fans alike - looks like he intentionally swerves towards someone and raises his leg.

And if the information in this article is true, it doesn't exactly do him any favours: https://sportsmanor.com/us-sports-n...ght-after-freak-accident-killed-adam-johnson/

Most penalised, booted out of a game, suspended.

Dice

All I can use is my own knowledge of how skating works. I used to do rollerblading at extreme sport levels and did ice skating various times as well and it was very natural and familiar from my rollerblading skills.

Since absolutely everything related to turning and breaking is from touching the ground, which becomes 100% instinct to maintain and use to direct yourself, I can't think of any reason whatsoever that you would be lifting your leg up ahead of your motion. The video doesn't show anything at all tripping him, pulling on his leg, knocking his leg up, or yanking his arm downward so as to cause an overall body rotation. It is all just open ice and he seems fully in control. He even pushed off sideways to launch himself directly in the direction of Johnson.

Even if something did in fact pull on his body, the only available explanation would be his hand holding the guy in front of him. The natural bodily response to regain composure from this (if he doesn't want to shoulder check, which would be 100x more of a hockey thing to do) would be to bend his knees to crouch and swing his butt around to follow in the direction of the guy in front of him and maybe turn right to cut off the skate path of Johnson. Instead he is very clearly holding his right leg firm and spine upright to turn his left leg up. It makes no sense why a proficient skater would ever do this, It is completely contrary to the fundamental body mechanics of skating to make upright forward extensions.

Well I'm pretty sure they have much better cameras on these games than our potato twitter video, so I'm sure they'll see more.

Reallink

There is no
here's the video for those who haven't seen, it's grainy so not super gruesome on its own but obviously you're watching something that killed a man so act accordingly

some fucking accident lol, reporting is borderline disgusting on this one, this is straight up manslaughter

karate kick to the throat with a razor sharp skate, gee i wonder what the possible outcomes are of that gee wiz

You'd have to be the dumbest most retarded mother fucker on the face of the Earth to watch this and conclude anything besides it being an intentional dirty check gone wrong. Guy literally Liu Kang Flying Dragon'd his ass.

Dice

Sadly, I don't think she's joking.

All her examples are shit. They are all very clearly trips and also have the skates flip up the back of the players as they slip.

Petgrave went in with a full on martial arts side kick. You need to deliberately do that on purpose.
Yes, all those examples completely make sense with the body mechanics and momentum of skating. Petgrave's motion goes completely against everything that would be natural to momentum and position. You would have to actively strain your muscles against the forces on you to make that happen.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
to be fair youtube is full of conspiracy theorist and anyone can lie saying they have been a fan for years. nobody is going to kill someone over a hockey game, he didnt do it on purpose.

No one is claiming he killed him on purpose.... What we are claiming is that he threw his leg up intentionally to break up the play.

Now if you want to conflate that with " he intended to kill him" like Relentless has been doing I guess you're welcome to do that but that's not what any of us are saying.

My only point with the YouTube quotes was that everywhere you look on the internet the overwhelming majority of people agree that the death was an accident but the kick was not. Relentless claims that gaf is the only place with a dissenting opinion when the reality is his is the dissenting opinion.

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
No one is claiming he killed him on purpose.... What we are claiming is that he threw his leg up intentionally to break up the play.

Now if you want to conflate that with " he intended to kill him" like Relentless has been doing I guess you're welcome to do that but that's not what any of us are saying.

My only point with the YouTube quotes was that everywhere you look on the internet the overwhelming majority of people agree that the death was an accident but the kick was not. Relentless claims that gaf is the only place with a dissenting opinion when the reality is his is the dissenting opinion.
ban him from hocky but locking him up for this goes to far imo.

HAYA8U5A

Sadly, I don't think she's joking.

All her examples are shit. They are all very clearly trips and also have the skates flip up the back of the players as they slip.

Petgrave went in with a full on martial arts side kick. You need to deliberately do that on purpose.

I just love how on top of not even being slightly comparable in contact the clips people keep trying to use show players clearly still managing to keep some control of their leg to an extent. Even in the Lindholm and Guehle one you can see Lindholm start to regain control of his leg to slow it and had Guehle not been falling forward too Lindholm would have had enough control to avoid the skate getting that high. In all those clips you also see the second player being impacted by the contact because that is how contact works. Johnson's teammate shows no sign that any contact was even made with him let alone contact that could send a player flying through the air. Not to mention if his teammate did clip him Petgrave's skate would have went the complete opposite direction that it went. Plus even if we go down that road it means he was targeting the player without the puck for a dirty hit and accidentally got launched into the player with the puck. So even the defense of him doesn't end up much of a defense.

But even if people want to try to argue physics to defend it despite it making no sense with there being no contact that could cause that I don't know what the excuse is for the second kicking motion to the helmet after he had already got him in the neck. Honestly not sure why more isn't being made of that second kicking motion. I think a lot of people are thinking that is what got him in the neck but that had already happened and in the slowed down versions you can clearly see a second kicking motion that hits Johnson in the top of the helmet and jolts his head. That second kick is where I really start to question the intent vs freak accident. Not to the point of murder but enough for a lesser charge. Even if you try to give him the benefit of the doubt going through scenarios such as he was embellishing trying to draw a penalty or something of that nature and rule it a careless accident that still wouldn't answer that second kick. His history doesn't help his defense.

While there are trolls or people that will just stubbornly stand their ground more than anything there seems to be some crazy notion fueling the Petgrave defense that hockey will change if he does get charged. Bertuzzi was one of the top players in the NHL before his incident that saw him charged and it didn't change the game. Some nobody goon playing beer league hockey in a non-hockey nation getting charged isn't going to change anything. The mandatory neck guard debate has already fizzled out let alone anything about when players should be criminally responsible for on ice incidents so it is absurd to defend him out of paranoia of that.

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
ban him from hocky but locking him up for this goes to far imo.

I think a ban and a civil suit for wrongful death, much like what happened with OJ -winning the criminal trial but losing the civil trial and being found responsible for Nicole Brown's death- is probably the best and most likely outcome.

A literal trip vs not even touching anyone.

Keep doing.

Big Brother Popcorn GIF by Pop TV

Nah this shit is intentional. As someone who played ice hockey in the past, there's no reason for your skate to get that high except you've been checked or tripped. That was intentional and the dude needs to be locked up. That's some Shawn Michaels sweet chin music shit not hockey.

Last edited:

Mr1999

Not sure if this was posted before but

Aittola takes a moment to compose his words.

Then he is encouraged to give his direct view of the case.

- I don't think his (Petgrave's) intention was to kill anyone. I don't think he intended to harm anyone, says Aittola.

"But if there's one player I'm willing to believe could use his skates to stop an opponent, I think Matt Petgrave could do it." He is an extremely reckless player. Reckless , as they say in England.

Aittola says that there are game clips in Petgrave where he fights opponents with his skates ahead.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not sure if this was posted before but

And if you're recklessly cutting up traffic and cause an accident where someone dies... what happens?

You didn't intend to kill anyone, but you knew beforehand reckless behavior with deadly objects does have that potential to severely injure or kill.

Last edited:
And if you're recklessly cutting up traffic and cause an accident where someone dies... what happens?

You didn't intend to kill anyone, but you knew beforehand reckless behavior with deadly objects does have that potential to severely injure or kill.
I believe that’s involuntary manslaughter and punishable by law. And if he’s charged, I’m sure that’s what he’s be charged with. He clearly didn’t intend to kill him. But sticking his leg out, skate first, to impede him was 100% deliberate and a dirty, illegal, hockey play. If the skate was lower and didn’t kill him, we’d be talking about a match penalty and a lengthy suspension. Dirty illegal hockey play through and through.

Top Bottom