• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Excellent Bioshock Infinite Cosplay

Ellis Kim

Banned
SalsaShark said:
The issue here is that big boobs = average/bland when it comes to gaming at this point.

Im not talking about going in the opposite direction in the name of diversficitation, im saying that going in the opposite direction is the BEST WAY to show what you're trying to do in a medium where character design is king. Fastest way to comunicate something in this medium is to see it. The point would get across more easily. Dont get me wrong, if Levine pulls it off and she becomes far, far more than eye candy and the press and audience in general can get beyond that, then im all for it. I just dont think it'll make the same kind of impression.
Have faith, little mole; life and gaming is no fun as a cynic!

Also, you're wrong. Character design is no longer king, but rather holistic art direction and solid mechanics. Character growth and depth are far more important now for characters.

Art direction will lead the way, as it already does for BI's American exceptionalism visual motif.

Snkfanatic said:
She is on Deviantart by the way if anyone wants to see her other cosplay. Her name on there is Ormeli
Thanks.

Two more:
no____by_ormeli-d47gggx.jpg

possible_end_by_ormeli-d47sr4d.jpg

Salsa

Ellis Kim said:
Have faith, little mole; life and gaming is no fun as a cynic!

Also, you're wrong. Character design is no longer king, but rather holistic art direction and solid mechanics. Character growth and depth are far more important now for characters.

Art direction will lead the way, as it already does for BI's American exceptionalism visual motif.

Oh i dont know, character depth and whatnot are of course as important, but as even you said earlier in the thread: you need to start somewhere, and that's character design. One doesnt neglect the other, i see character design as part of his depth, actually.

Also after playing something like Bioshock you know that this is something wich is really important to the team.

Im not trying to be a cynic, there's just little people in the industry i have big amounts of respect for, so when i see something pointing towards an issue that i dont like being made by people i respect and think of as progresive in the industry; i get defensive. Its only natural.

And dont "little mole" me!

Wallach

SalsaShark said:
Sorry man, but its true. Even the blandest of the bland are meant to be like that, nothing is accidental in character design.

Nothing is really accidental, but not every single aspect of a character has a grand amount of thought put into it. Some aspects are iterated on a few times, you find the one that looks the best and you move on.

Salsa

Wallach said:
Nothing is really accidental, but not every single aspect of a character has a grand amount of thought put into it. Some aspects are iterated on a few times, you find the one that looks the best and you move on.

Im not saying every character has a grand amount of thought put into it. Im saying that nothing is accidental in the sense that no competent character designer is gonna leave marks or things that they dont want that character to represent by mistake or by "rushing" it or whatever.

In the same way they're not gonna make random red henchmen in front of red walls by mistake, they're not gonna leave those tits there "just because" without thinking about the fact that everyone's gonna greatly notice those.

Ellis Kim

Banned
ResidentDante said:
Can I marry her? Sweet baby Jesus she is pretty!
No, she's mine!

SalsaShark said:
Again, game design =/= life, every thing about character design has a meaning and reason behind it.
I really don't get why you keep beating this drum. You talk like no one in real life actively prepares and coordinates how they're going to look dressed, intentionally or otherwise. Or that character design isn't at all inspired by real life and that EVERYTHING in character design serves (or should serve) a utilitarian purpose.

Salsa

Ellis Kim said:
I really don't get why you keep beating this drum. You talk like no one in real life actively prepares and coordinates how they're going to look dressed, intentionally or otherwise. Or that character design isn't at all inspired by real life and that EVERYTHING in character design serves (or should serve) a utilitarian purpose.

How'd you get that from that sentece?

The fact that a game character can be inspired by real life doesnt have anything to do that there's not a reason behind the way he/she looks. What im saying with what you quoted goes beyond clothing, since we are talking about boobs here. Im saying that if you want a character to evoke a certain emotion you design it that way, from the way they look even naked, not just clothing. That's not the case in real life that's all im saying, we are born as we are born, not because someone wanted us to be good-looking or not, lol.

And by saying that every character is thought about and serves a purpose, im saying that this is true even if they want the character to have no puporse.. you know? im saying people dont leave things that might give people the wrong impression of the character by mistake.

Games, as movies, aim for a more dramatic and to the point version of real life. Everything you see on camera is given 10x the importance of what you see in life in terms of planning. There's no mistakes there. They didnt put the boobs there just because its possible that people look like that and because there are girls that look like that. They are well aware of those boobs and made them that away to appeal and express something.

THERE'S BEEN MEETINGS ABOUT THOSE BOOBS

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Just wanted to note that the style the character is rendered, designed and modeled is actually a whole lot more EUROPEAN in style than Japanese.

Character design wise, she looks fine to me. I'll reserve judgment of whether she fits in the game or not AFTER I've played the game, because I agree that she wouldn't fit in Bioshock 1, but this game has a very different aesthetic and the way a character looks can be heavily influenced by the story.

DonMigs85

Raging Spaniard said:
Just wanted to note that the style the character is rendered, designed and modeled is actually a whole lot more EUROPEAN in style than Japanese.

Character design wise, she looks fine to me. I'll reserve judgment of whether she fits in the game or not AFTER I've played the game, because I agree that she wouldn't fit in Bioshock 1, but this game has a very different aesthetic and the way a character looks can be heavily influenced by the story.
Indeed

289420-106246-mrs-geriatrix_large.jpg

Raziel

SalsaShark said:
The issue here is that big boobs = average/bland when it comes to gaming at this point.

Im not talking about going in the opposite direction in the name of diversficitation, im saying that going in the opposite direction is the BEST WAY to show what you're trying to do in a medium where character design is king. Fastest way to comunicate something in this medium is to see it. The point would get across more easily. Dont get me wrong, if Levine pulls it off and she becomes far, far more than eye candy and the press and audience in general can get beyond that, then im all for it. I just dont think it'll make the same kind of impression.
what is this thing or point you think levine and co are trying to do/make?

Salsa

raziel said:
what is this thing or point you think levine and co are trying to do/make?

not trying to do, since they clearly arent with what ive seen

and im refering to show that women can be important and meaningful characters even as love interests and whatnot, without the need to be overly sexualized. I dont like seeing an overly sexualized character when there's no need to. That's the whole basis of the thing here.

Game will tell, though.

Chinner said:
lets be honest, and i'm not going to be harsh to you because this applies to me, but if she ever met us she would just look straight through us for the men we are - emtpy, devoid and lacking any interesting quality. it'd be better for her to go out with someone who she actually liked and who is interesting than go out with us.

we're never going to be happy, take a lesson from me and don't get stuck in a dream.

Brother of my heart!

Raging Spaniard said:

slowclap.gif

I didn't know Bioshock games had characters until Infinite. Everything I knew of Bioshock was crazy olde timey divers with drill hands and disembodied hands holding guns, in other words - just another god damned FPS.

Infinites marketing / presentation showing human characters is what piqued my interest; unfotunately my interest ends at stylized tits. I have no interest in faux cinematic wank gaming and FPS on consoles. :\

Ellis Kim

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:

God, finally, a voice of reason.
ResidentDante said:
Then Sir, it looks like we have no other option than to engage in an good old-fashioned duel to the DEATH!
I win by declaring first, not just in this thread, but the cosplay thread as well. :I

Salsa

Ellis Kim said:
God, finally, a voice of reason.

alright now youre just hatin

i never said anything directly contrary to what spaniard's saying there, just that the character gave me a jap vibe. After i was told that the actual plot has something to do with the way she looks (monster makes her dress like that), i gave it the benefit of the doubt till i play it.

Ellis Kim

Banned
SalsaShark said:

and im refering to show that women can be important and meaningful characters even as love interests and whatnot, without the need to be overly sexualized. I dont like seeing an overly sexualized character when there's no need to. That's the whole basis of the thing here.

Game will tell, though.
That's part of the problem: you're making a lot of assumptions about what "end" or "purpose" she's going to serve. You're only going to disappoint yourself if you continue this negativity and line of thought. Elizabeth doesn't fit the ORIGINAL Bioshock's visual style, and with obvious reasons: Bioshock Infinite's not Bioshock 1 or Bioshock 2--its not undersea, and especially not art deco. She isn't meant to be just pandering eyecandy, either.

I suggest you find Bioshock Infinite's Comic-Con panel and watch that if you haven't.

Gintamen

SalsaShark said:
Again, game design =/= life, every thing about character design has a meaning and reason behind it.
Nomuras design for FF charactes don't agree. Most of the time, his designs would be more disruptive than reasonable.[90%]

Ellis Kim

Banned
SalsaShark said:

i never said anything directly contrary to what spaniard's saying there, just that the character gave me a jap vibe. After i was told that the actual plot has something to do with the way she looks (monster makes her dress like that), i gave it the benefit of the doubt till i play it.
You are still dismissive because she doesn't fit an arbitrary bill of expectations you have for what fits Bioshock, even after when all expectations were thrown out the window with Infinite's announcement CG trailer (perhaps even literally so).

She has cleavage. I don't get why you let this bother you, why you let other people's potential experience with Elizabeth to cloud your own enjoyment, and why you hold so little faith in Irrational's ability to deliver.
Raging Spaniard said:
Conversely, I'm ALL about stylized tits.
lol

DonMigs85

Gintamen said:
Nomuras design for FF charactes don't agree. Most of the time, his designs would be more disruptive than reasonable.[90%]
I generally liked his designs for TWEWY, except for their scrawny limbs and Shiki's bony hips.

Raziel

SalsaShark said:

Game will tell, though.
are you saying they should compromise their artistic vision to "make a point" ?

Gintamen

FF != TWEWY, man do I love that game. :D

@SalsaShark:
Maybe she "has" to wear those clothes to look pretty for the unknown villain?

Papercuts said:
They really should tone down the ingame character's giant eyes.

the eyes are not the problem imo, it's the head to body proportion, either the head's too big, or the body's too small which make her looks off.

Callibretto said:
the eyes are not the problem imo, it's the head to body proportion, either the head's too big, or the body's too small which make her looks off.

It's not real life.

I guess people have gotten so used to Bad Art™ this gen that they react poorly to Good Art™.

.la1n

SalsaShark said:

If you guys were ever in OT, you would know this man should be listened to, especially when it comes to women ;)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
As mentioned before.

This is nothing about that character that isn't intentional. From her clothes, to her eyes, the color of her dress, her hair and makeup.

All of that is discussed and sketched and edited and re-designed for them to instill what they want in the character.

She has that distant sad look with her features, so players that have that bit of white knight in them will identify and feel like protecting her more. And yes, maybe her boobs are a little over-emphasized, but again this is to appeal to the more aggresive player who might think "she has nice boobs, I should protect her."

I fall more into the first category. She just looks sad to me, and it looks like she has been sad her whole life.

Top Bottom