• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Excellent Bioshock Infinite Cosplay

nomis

Member
May 15, 2011
5,034
1
680
SalsaShark said:
I was being dramatic on the first response for humor purposes rather, i guess. Never thought we'd get an actual discussion going (I still think of that audience when i look at her design though).

The discussion i was trying to have wasnt that much about this character in the game itself bur rather how out of place she feels in a series like Bioshock, and how i didnt expected that and how it could go down as an example of woman in gaming in general. Like i said i dont think her boobs are gonna change my personal experience with the game, but i still dont see the point. I just dont like watching trailers for the game with 50 youtube comments saying "dem tits", "sexy girl elizabeth *_*" and shit like that, its odd, uneasy and not necesary regarding what we know so far.
Ellis Kim said it better than I could, which is that Bioshock has inherently had character models with exaggerated features, and it's odd that you find her out of place. She's beautiful because that's the point... she's the princess locked in a tower. If she is the "object of desire" for players of the game, then it's appropriate since the player's nemesis is also single-mindedly trying to get her back.

Infinite doesn't need to break the mold of female character design, because the mold is already broken. There are plenty of female characters listed that don't all have huge breasts. They apparently have a different agenda with the design in their game, and I don't personally find it inappropriate.
 

Discotheque

Banned
Oct 5, 2009
51,294
1
0
the character looks like shit, but I like the cosplay picture quite a bit.

don't even know what to think of this game, it's got cool design (aside from that shite character) but Bioshock 1 wasn't even that special aside from the setting. Levine's best is behind him.
 

Glass Rebel

Member
Oct 12, 2010
31,644
11
795
SalsaShark said:
well idk man, i dont think there's a god, no one designs us, there's no purpose for us to look the way we do, lol. That's what i was trying to say.
Haha I know man, I'm just kidding. And I agree somewhat with you but the direction this thread has been taken (I don't blame you but it's just people getting angry at opinions at this point) might not exactly be what the OP had in mind when he created it. I don't get to decide that so I try to poke fun at it ;)
 

Salsa

Member
Aug 29, 2009
72,241
1
0
Montevideo, Uruguay
steamcommunity.com
omnomis said:
Ellis Kim said it better than I could, which is that Bioshock has inherently had character models with exaggerated features, and it's odd that you find her out of place. She's beautiful because that's the point... she's the princess locked in a tower. If she is the "object of desire" for players of the game, then it's appropriate since the player's nemesis is also single-mindedly trying to get her back.
I agree in that it could be appropiate, i just havent seen anything so far that sold me on that regard. A girl that the main character desires doesnt need those kinds of features. But sure, we are all discussing unreleased material here.



and another thing: i think they got mixed wires with their intentions there and that could be the rason. Maybe those features have their own purpose while at the same time the big eyes and face serve another one (as people mentioned her expressions and whatnot), and that's why she looks so weird and out of place. I think a more realistic women wouldnt have the same kind of impact and it wouldnt seem as "odd" with those boobs.
 

nomis

Member
May 15, 2011
5,034
1
680
ThoseDeafMutes said:
God this reminds me of how much I fucking hate the Bioshock character designs. Nobody looks like a real human. Also, that girl is really hot.
Heaven forbid a game studio not strive for absolute photo realism. Do you carry the same "fucking hatred" of Pixar's human designs?
 

Knox

Member
Nov 27, 2005
1,541
0
0
I somewhat agree with what you're saying Salsa, but I think it's smart design to make her this way. It's the same reason romantic interests in movies are always attractive women, it helps the audience empathize. But in games it's a lot harder to create an attractive character, especially an attractive face. So it makes sense to use a character's body to draw the player to the character in the desired way.

They could have tried another way, but in the end Irrational is a big budget game developer looking for mass appeal. Bioshock isn't Transformers, but if I was to make a movie parallel I would say Inception, and there was cleavage in that too.
 
Dec 11, 2010
34,635
0
0
omnomis said:
Heaven forbid a game studio not strive for absolute photo realism. Do you carry the same "fucking hatred" of Pixar's human designs?
If you're talking about animations with aesthetics similar to Tangled (don't know who actually made that) then yes. I think the characters look dreadful. Now my post gets quoted by 20 people booing me or whatever, I don't care. They don't have to be photorealistic, it's just that this specific dis-proportioned style looks terribad.


Chinner said:
WHY IS THERE NO TRISS COSPLAY?
Didn't a pornstar pose nude dressed up like Triss as part of the promotion for TW2?
 

Ellis Kim

Banned
Apr 12, 2010
3,407
0
0
Bay Area, CA
@SalsaShark Your issue is with the audience you associate yourself with, the very same that posts on GAF with nothing to say other than either "would" or "dat ass." Do you hold that against GAF as well?

Alyx is actually a really bad example of female representation in games, as her purpose is to essentially be a pandering and the designated love interest. She's hardly fleshed out, if at all, and the empathy you feel is designed. Not to mention the immediacy of the modding community's reflexive nature with HL2 post-leak's deluge of nude Alyx mods and poses in sexually suggestive positions.

A change in Elizabeth's design wouldn't make this behavior any different. To think like so is shortsighted.
I do agree that the developers and the actual game can turn this around, and ive clearly stated that before, so idk why youre holding that against me.
Its your lack of faith in Irrational and Levine that disturbs me.</vader>
 

StuBurns

Banned
Jan 9, 2008
69,543
0
0
I can't say I 'get' cosplay personally, I don't think it's impressive or anything, but that girl is hot, so there's that.
 

Zeouterlimits

Member
Apr 2, 2007
16,811
0
0
Ireland
www.skynet.ie
StuBurns said:
I can't say I 'get' cosplay personally, I don't think it's impressive or anything, but that girl is hot, so there's that.
Really? I think it's like any hobby, that there are different degress of effort, and you're showing off what kind of things you can make, how far you're willing to go to look like this character you love (in most cases).
I don't see it as much different to any other hobby really.
 

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Sep 30, 2004
15,088
0
0
Georgia
baconmcshig.tumblr.com
omnomis said:
Heaven forbid a game studio not strive for absolute photo realism. Do you carry the same "fucking hatred" of Pixar's human designs?
Cartoony designs are fine if they're done well.

BI's aren't done well. They're straddling this weird line where they want heavy stylization but won't fully commit to a leap from realism, and they've found exactly the right place in that middle ground where the result just looks off-putting and creepy. If they'd just move the slider a bit more in one direction or the other, it'd make a world of difference.
 

StuBurns

Banned
Jan 9, 2008
69,543
0
0
Zeouterlimits said:
Really? I think it's like any hobby, that there are different degress of effort, and you're showing off what kind of things you can make, how far you're willing to go to look like this character you love (in most cases).
I don't see it as much different to any other hobby really.
Well she happens to have a very defined jaw line and a similar nose, she happens to be attractive, half the work here is just being naturally beautiful, most women could dedicate years to the costume and regardless of it's quality would never look similar.

I'm not saying people are wrong to take up cosplay or anything, if it's pleases them that's great, I just find it hard to judge the effort of the costume when it's ultimately so much a question of the things about the person they can't control.
 

Ellis Kim

Banned
Apr 12, 2010
3,407
0
0
Bay Area, CA
^ I still claim her as my wife

ThoseDeafMutes said:
If you're talking about animations with aesthetics similar to Tangled (don't know who actually made that) then yes. I think the characters look dreadful. Now my post gets quoted by 20 people booing me or whatever, I don't care. They don't have to be photorealistic, it's just that this specific dis-proportioned style looks terribad.
The sensory homunculus says hello. Tangled is one of the few caricaturized styles that fits well within the 3D animation medium for humans that don't suffer from uncanny valley.

Do you want more uncanny valley? Be my guest. Modern Warfare and Dead or Alive are waiting to be your friends.
 

nomis

Member
May 15, 2011
5,034
1
680
ThoseDeafMutes said:
If you're talking about animations with aesthetics similar to Tangled (don't know who actually made that) then yes. I think the characters look dreadful. Now my post gets quoted by 20 people booing me or whatever, I don't care. They don't have to be photorealistic, it's just that this specific dis-proportioned style looks terribad.
Tangled was done by Disney Animation, but no not Pixar specifically. I haven't seen Tangled so I don't have an opinion on the extent of their designs' cartooniness.

Shig said:
Cartoony designs are fine if they're done well.
I agree.
BI's aren't done well.
I agree that we disagree.
 

Ellis Kim

Banned
Apr 12, 2010
3,407
0
0
Bay Area, CA
There's a certain farce that hasn't been directly addressed yet surrounding this desire for a more realistically proportioned Elizabeth: Bioshock Infinite is a first person shooter with presumably very few camera-control wrenching cutscenes.

All "good" representations of "realistic" women in games have been ones with cutscenes with directed cameras, or set cameras in third person. Elizabeth's head size/facial proportions are designed to accommodate that. Its a specific design decision that clearly intends for establishing a relationship between the player and Elizabeth even during (and especially during) hectic firefights. The visibility of her expression is obviously key in such circumstances for their design intentions.
 

StuBurns

Banned
Jan 9, 2008
69,543
0
0
Ellis Kim said:
All "good" representations of "realistic" women in games have been ones with cutscenes with directed cameras, or set cameras in third person.
I totally disagree. Alyx is about as good, if not better than any other faux female in gaming.
 

raziel

Member
Jun 19, 2007
3,368
848
1,350
ThoseDeafMutes said:
God this reminds me of how much I fucking hate the Bioshock character designs. Nobody looks like a real human.
yeah, i think its called an "art style"
 

Salsa

Member
Aug 29, 2009
72,241
1
0
Montevideo, Uruguay
steamcommunity.com
Ellis Kim said:
@SalsaShark Your issue is with the audience you associate yourself with, the very same that posts on GAF with nothing to say other than either "would" or "dat ass." Do you hold that against GAF as well?
oh c'moooooooooooooooooooooooooon give me a break here hahahah

of course i post "would" or "dat ass" and i associate with those that do, im a man that likes women! we are talking about a different issue here, one that is related to games.

As far as the rest of your post, i just think we agree to disagree. All is on the table, in the end i just wanna play this damn game already. Fucking announcing it two years before release arghhh.


Gintamen said:
how so?
 

Chinner

Banned
Mar 14, 2007
27,892
0
0
Ellis Kim said:
^ I still claim her as my wife
lets be honest, and i'm not going to be harsh to you because this applies to me, but if she ever met us she would just look straight through us for the men we are - emtpy, devoid and lacking any interesting quality. it'd be better for her to go out with someone who she actually liked and who is interesting than go out with us.

we're never going to be happy, take a lesson from me and don't get stuck in a dream.
 

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
May 3, 2010
12,236
0
795
US
I think this has already been posted in the cosplay thread a few times.
 

Zeouterlimits

Member
Apr 2, 2007
16,811
0
0
Ireland
www.skynet.ie
Chinner said:
lets be honest, and i'm not going to be harsh to you because this applies to me, but if she ever met us she would just look straight through us for the men we are - emtpy, devoid and lacking any interesting quality. it'd be better for her to go out with someone who she actually liked and who is interesting than go out with us.

we're never going to be happy, take a lesson from me and don't get stuck in a dream.
Just don't tell her we play Magic The Gathering and we're set.
 
Dec 11, 2010
34,635
0
0
raziel said:
yeah, i think its called an "art style"
Orly? And here I thought it was just Irrational's artists being incapable of drawing realistic looking people. Next you'll be telling me that Picasso was drawing people like that deliberately!

This is going to come as a huge shock, but it's possible to not only dislike an art style, but hate it. I don't mind the Art Deco stuff in the original bioshock and some of the environments looked very nice, but the characters that inhabit it look abysmal.
 

Ellis Kim

Banned
Apr 12, 2010
3,407
0
0
Bay Area, CA
SalsaShark said:
oh c'moooooooooooooooooooooooooon give me a break here hahahah

of course i post "would" or "dat ass" and i associate with those that do, im a man that likes women! we are talking about a different issue here, one that is related to games.

As far as the rest of your post, i just think we agree to disagree. All is on the table, in the end i just wanna play this damn game already. Fucking announcing it two years before release arghhh.
exhibit A
I just dont like watching trailers for the game with 50 youtube comments saying "dem tits", "sexy girl elizabeth *_*" and shit like that, its odd, uneasy and not necesary regarding what we know so far.
I just want you to stop having large sweeping assumptions based on nothing but fear.

StuBurns said:
I totally disagree. Alyx is about as good, if not better than any other faux female in gaming.
You see Alyx in two manners: Downtime with talking heads (lol zoom key) and silhouettes (e.g. "3rd-person" peripheral action).
 

Ellis Kim

Banned
Apr 12, 2010
3,407
0
0
Bay Area, CA
Chinner said:
lets be honest, and i'm not going to be harsh to you because this applies to me, but if she ever met us she would just look straight through us for the men we are - emtpy, devoid and lacking any interesting quality. it'd be better for her to go out with someone who she actually liked and who is interesting than go out with us.

we're never going to be happy, take a lesson from me and don't get stuck in a dream.
Oh Chinner :( Here's a free hug, buddy.

 

raziel

Member
Jun 19, 2007
3,368
848
1,350
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Orly? And here I thought it was just Irrational's artists being incapable of drawing realistic looking people. Next you'll be telling me that Picasso was drawing people like that deliberately!

This is going to come as a huge shock, but it's possible to not only dislike an art style, but hate it. I don't mind the Art Deco stuff in the original bioshock and some of the environments looked very nice, but the characters that inhabit it look abysmal.
yes, your sarcasm is all very rich and everything, except all your initial post says is that you "fucking hate it" because they "don't look like real humans" ; which is such a simple-minded thing to express, there was really no way for me to know that you were aware of "art styles" or that one was being exhibited with bioshocks human designs.
 

Snkfanatic

Banned
Sep 22, 2010
21,840
0
0
Virginia
Chinner said:
lets be honest, and i'm not going to be harsh to you because this applies to me, but if she ever met us she would just look straight through us for the men we are - emtpy, devoid and lacking any interesting quality. it'd be better for her to go out with someone who she actually liked and who is interesting than go out with us.

we're never going to be happy, take a lesson from me and don't get stuck in a dream.
Good lord man you have horrible self esteem this is not the first post of yours like this :\
 
Sep 2, 2007
17,992
3
0
The real girl is gorgeous. The character game design and the girl is a thousand times better that the character design of the first Bioshock, thank god, so im not gonna complain this time because I also really like it, I dont ee the problem with the big eyes, its only an aesthetic, and I dont think it resembles any loli anime charater in the slightest.

Its like the change from Overlord I to Overlord II with the character design, and it feels good.
 

Ellis Kim

Banned
Apr 12, 2010
3,407
0
0
Bay Area, CA
SalsaShark said:
actual women =/= videogame women


I dont fear, i just become disappointed

the industry has much bigger issue than boob size, we can all agree on that
That equation isn't as simple as we'd all like to believe, yourself included. The ramifications of female representation in games is undeniable, but going the polar opposite direction in the name of diversification, let alone going extremely neutral (i.e average/bland), is not the solution, and far from it.
Snkfanatic said:
Good lord man you have horrible self esteem this is not the first post of yours like this :\
Zelda broke his heart, man.
 

Salsa

Member
Aug 29, 2009
72,241
1
0
Montevideo, Uruguay
steamcommunity.com
Ellis Kim said:
That equation isn't as simple as we'd all like to believe, yourself included. The ramifications of female representation in games is undeniable, but going the polar opposite direction in the name of diversification, let alone going extremely neutral (i.e average/bland), is not the solution, and far from it.
The issue here is that big boobs = average/bland when it comes to gaming at this point.

Im not talking about going in the opposite direction in the name of diversficitation, im saying that going in the opposite direction is the BEST WAY to show what you're trying to do in a medium where character design is king. Fastest way to comunicate something in this medium is to see it. The point would get across more easily. Dont get me wrong, if Levine pulls it off and she becomes far, far more than eye candy and the press and audience in general can get beyond that, then im all for it. I just dont think it'll make the same kind of impression.
 

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sep 20, 2010
84,182
7
0
The lair of yin and yang
SalsaShark said:
The issue here is that big boobs = average/bland when it comes to gaming at this point.

Im not talking about going in the opposite direction in the name of diversficitation, im saying that going in the opposite direction is the BEST WAY to show what you're trying to do in a medium where character design is king. Fastest way to comunicate something in this medium is to see it. The point would get across more easily. Dont get me wrong, if Levine pulls it off and she becomes far, far more than eye candy and the press and audience in general can get beyond that, then im all for it. I just dont think it'll make the same kind of impression.
Those boobs aren't even that big compared to most in games... Also, you know girls willingly wear low-cut shirts all the time, right?
 

Salsa

Member
Aug 29, 2009
72,241
1
0
Montevideo, Uruguay
steamcommunity.com
zoner said:
Those boobs aren't even that big compared to most in games...
sure not, if those boobs were ivy-sized i think everyone would be on my side, lol.


zoner said:
Also, you know girls willingly wear low-cut shirts all the time, right?
Again, game design =/= life, every thing about character design has a meaning and reason behind it. This is an important character, they just dont give her big boobs and a low-cut shirt "just because", everything about the boobs and their size is completely intentional and meaning to catch your eyes. What the game is yet to prove is if there's a reason for that relating to her character and story.