• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive games are no longer important in selling consoles according to

Clarissa

Banned
Well, I have a Switch too and I like both but I spend more time on PS4.

I completely disagree with his assertions about PS exclusives, outside ND games, I don't think his assessments are at all accurate. PlayStation has always championed gamplay and Souls was born on PlayStation, it is home to Bloodborne and Nioh and all the most technical games in terms of gameplay.

Insomniac, Japan Studio, SSM and SP are also excellent at gamplay.

San Diego and Polyphony focus on franchises but they also have great gameplay.

ND is the only one that really has a large amount of forced walking sections and I also find them a bit obnoxious.

Nope You're making too much sense. He'd show you this then put you on ignore.

Klayzer

My friend, who is also a relative of your friend says, he never said those things. He/She also said you like to lie to total strangers on the internet and have bad breath. True story.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So the issue with this argument is....

Yes third party games are the huge hits of today, but exclusives are still a big second.

but also what PlayStation fanboys don’t count is MS first party games ARE exclusive to console only owners.

Bryank75

Banned
Nope You're making too much sense. He'd show you this then put you on ignore.

Sony has over 33 Billion dollars in cash and equivalents. So I hope you show him that... haha

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Sony has over 33 Billion dollars in cash and equivalents. So I hope you show him that... haha
Maybe you guys should look at the Japanese source article and see the formula for deriving Net Cash.

Bryank75

Banned
Maybe you guys should look at the Japanese source article and see the formula for deriving Net Cash.
I have a degree in accounting and finance, I used to work in the quant section of a financial analysts.

Liquid assets include cash and cash equivalents and are often not broken down further than that. Cash equivalents are investments such as stocks, short term bonds, treasury bills etc can be quickly converted into cash at short notice and are usually kept in such forms as to negate currency volatility.

Japan is very susceptible to currency volatility and therefore it is important not to have all your liquid assets deposited as yen.

Counting cash and cash equivalents is in keeping with GAAP.

Using the current ratio as they have is normally used in relation to comparing companies in similar industries and has no relevance here, since Sony has many manufacturing operations with stock and WIP to account for and Nintendo is a software company primarily. Apples to oranges.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
You're like a journalist who misrepresents what was actually said for a clickbait headline.

He literally says
No..

He said that next gen is all about performance. Because 343 screwed up Halo Infinite and is launching without any exclusives. So he changed his tune and said that exclusives don't matter knowing that Xbox Series X is more powerful than the ps5.

Before Halo Infinite got delayed, he kept saying the reason why Switch is doing so well is because of the games.

BlackTron

Sounds like your friend is a tool who will just spin any "facts" he can to suit his preference, willfully ignorant of how hypocritical it all blatantly is.

He should try politics.

longdi

Banned
They never was once third parties went multiplatforms.
At least not for high priced consoles.

Once in awhile you got the odd Nintendogs or Wii Sports for low cost gaming masses etc.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have a degree in accounting and finance, I used to work in the quant section of a financial analysts.

Liquid assets include cash and cash equivalents and are often not broken down further than that. Cash equivalents are investments such as stocks, short term bonds, treasury bills etc can be quickly converted into cash at short notice and are usually kept in such forms as to negate currency volatility.

Japan is very susceptible to currency volatility and therefore it is important not to have all your liquid assets deposited as yen.

Counting cash and cash equivalents is in keeping with GAAP.
The source article stated their Net Cash formula, and if Nintendo is the highest they are the highest.

You're $33 billion in cash and equivalents doesn't take into liabilities which Net Cash does, and their formula states (which they even break out how to calculate it).

Goes to show you have no idea what you are talking about as you are comparing apples to oranges to begin with. There's a difference between Net Cash and only tabulating Cash+Equivalents.

No accountant in the world would get those terms mixed up. I'm not even a designated accountant and knew the difference just from remember accounting courses in high school and the two accounting courses I took in university.

What Is Net Cash?
Net cash is a figure that is reported on a company's financial statements. It is calculated by subtracting a company's total liabilities from its total cash. The net cash figure is commonly used when evaluating a company's cash flows.

It pains me to admit it but exclusives still sell hardware.
I'm pretty sure my iphone could have been able to play all the switch exclusives. But I'm forced to buy Nintendo's uncomfortable piece of plastic, that is always out of battery power.
The Switch has all the same moble phone crap in it's store for a much higher price.
Man..... I suddenly think I might actually kind of hate Nintendo now. Anyone want to buy a switch?

skneogaf

Out of 2844 available playstation 4 games, only 74 are playstation exclusives.

People who either want the more powerful console or the cheaper option have 2770 games to play provided the same amount releases on next generation.

110 million ps4 consoles sold yet the highest exclusive amount of sold is uncharted 4 at 16 million so 94 million people didn't care about exclusive playstation games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It pains me to admit it but exclusives still sell hardware.
I'm pretty sure my iphone could have been able to play all the switch exclusives. But I'm forced to buy Nintendo's uncomfortable piece of plastic, that is always out of battery power.
The Switch has all the same moble phone crap in it's store for a much higher price.
Man..... I suddenly think I might actually kind of hate Nintendo now. Anyone want to buy a switch?
A successful console is a mix of tons of things.

If exclusives were a top priority, the ton of exclusive first party and third party games for N64, GC and Wii U would have put all those Nintendo systems as top sellers. These 3 systems were also cheap too. No $400, $500, $600 systems. And the deluxe Wii U was barely above $300. So even with good prices too, they didn't sell great.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
My friend who hates Sony just posted this. Is this true?
WPw6HuV.jpg

turtlepowa

Banned
He's saying that to downplay PS5 launching with Rachet And Clank, and Spiderman.

Btw he says Spiderman is just a DLC game. lol.

He's also trying to damage control Xbox Series X.
Ratchet is "launch window" only, most likely 2021.

Last edited:

John254

Banned
I mean. They are important, but not as much as many of Sony GAFers thinks they are.

PS4 didn't won because of exclusives. It won, because it offered better console at lower price compared to Xbox One. Quality exclusives came later.
Don't take it as "general rule" though. I'm sure, many people are choosing PS5 because of great exclusives of PS4 era.

And attach rates of PS exclusives are a proof. Highest selling exclusive sold what? 16 millions copies? To 110 million users? That's not that high

DJT123

We can only wish they were. The avg person buys a console to play garbage like Fifa like the avg PC gamer plays trash like Fortnite/DOTA.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
Now we have entered mental illness territory.
So is what my friend posted real?

He's been spreading a lot of fear/uncertainty and doubt in chat groups about the ps5 and there's quite a lot in our group who believe him and are getting the Xbox Series X instead of the ps5.

GymWolf

Gold Member
He's saying that to downplay PS5 launching with Rachet And Clank, and Spiderman.

Btw he says Spiderman is just a DLC game. lol.

He's also trying to damage control Xbox Series X.
Say to him that following this logic, almost every mario kart, super mario 2d, mario tennis, mario soccer, kirby, etc are all dlc game and let's see how he respond...

Your friend sounds like a moron and toxic person, the type that doesnt have much of ability to think logically, but instead they go all in in "belief based moroning" and nothing can turn his head out of his ass?

Ironic that he plays on nintendo, the system that have only exclusives to sell it, without copy&paste marios, it would just be an another random Chinese handheld type of system with low quality games

So is what my friend posted real?

He's been spreading a lot of fear/uncertainty and doubt in chat groups about the ps5 and there's quite a lot in our group who believe him and are getting the Xbox Series X instead of the ps5.

It is just bullshit, does he have mental disability?

Making series S as top1 just shows that he understands nothing, it is the slowest of them all lol.

Confort him and tell that he talks bullshit, if he doesnt be your friend anymore, you win.

Also show PS5 gameplay demos and then halo infinity as comparision, I wonder how he reacts to that

And if they are in size order, that makes even less sense haha. Like he thinks that GPU cards are as big as consoles?

+ all Sizes are fucked up in that pic, it would make xboxs like palm sized.

Tell him that he is retard

Last edited:
That´s rich coming from a Nintendo-Fan as great exclusive titles have literally been Nintendo`s saving grace since the first PS.....

Last edited:
For me personally, Never was a priority "exclusives first" mentality and never will be. Always buy both consoles day one anyway.

I spend my dough where the most powerful console is, that plays anything you throw at it effortlessly.

Prime example, CyberPunk+Series X=Annihilation/Domination/Panication/Blue Camp..ation
🤭

Clarissa

Banned
It is just bullshit, does he have mental disability?

Making series S as top1 just shows that he understands nothing, it is the slowest of them all lol.

Confort him and tell that he talks bullshit, if he doesnt be your friend anymore, you win.

Also show PS5 gameplay demos and then halo infinity as comparision, I wonder how he reacts to that

And if they are in size order, that makes even less sense haha. Like he thinks that GPU cards are as big as consoles?

+ all Sizes are fucked up in that pic, it would make xboxs like palm sized.

Tell him that he is retard

Yeah I was wondering how can the disc slot of the ps5 be almost the same size as the Xbox Series S.

I asked if the dimensions are official and he replied this

3AflwtN.jpg

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Either your friend doesn't exist and the whole "my friend said" thing just a mechanism for you to feed your confirmation bias, or you're a really terrible friend who is constantly bringing them up and using the forum to deride and pick at them behind their back.

mitch1971

Why does your freind have the urge to send you one sentence at a time when in conversation? That would do my tits in.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
So your friend is a Sony hater, only because he enjoy his Nintendo console?
It's like saying you hate homosexuals because you are straight.
I'd rather be friends with him than you if I had to choose. He doesn't sound biased.

Just want to drop by to let OP know I'm with him (her?) as s/he battles his Nintendrone friend. The updates on this epic battle are a joy to read.

Last edited:
Top Bottom