• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

Gorillaz

Oh, huh, apparently Abbie Heppe (Community Manager for Respawn) is the one doing the VO for Sarah, the character that tells you when your Titan is ready.

No wonder I thought the character had a cute voice.

yea I caught that in that leaked alpha vid last night too

Jarmel

Banned
One cool thing might be if the timer for your Titan changes depending on which Titan you have. Like the more powerful Titans take 5 minutes. That of course depends on there being more than the 3 Titans shown...

Chobel

Well, people were talking about it. I own an X1, and don't really care about graphics (I have a high end PC for that). But my point was (in that rant), was that I don't really see why people should be expecting Titanfall to be 1080p etc. I'm totally fine with 720p. Do I wish it was better? Obviously. But it's not the be all to end all (at least for me).

I don't want people to panic, since this is Alpha. But I don't really think this game in its current state, runs that smoothly. I've had numerous occasions where the FPS has dipped quite a low. I have a really low ping, and an Open NAT. So I know it's not my internet. The game has a very fluid and feel to it (in terms of the speed), but I think some are ignoring the fact that this game can feel clunky at times (in terms of the FPS).

How often does this happen? and what are usually the occasions when this happens?

antitrop

That I hilarious because I suspected that was her months ago, and tweeted her asking if it was, and she ignored me. :(

aIIvbAg.png

Abbie is fucking awesome, loved her on G4 when she was working on X-Play, and glad she's moved on to do something cool with Respawn.

Please stop with the alpha talk. This game is out in 50 days. Discs will begin being pressed in the next 30 days. This game is very nearly finished, regardless of what title they put on this current testing they're running.

And please stop making the assumption that the build they put out for a network stress test is anywhere near recent.

Mononoke

Banned
How often that happen? and what are usually the occasions when this happens?

I feel like it happens often enough. But let me play a game right now, and I'll pay attention specifically to it, and I'll let you know aprox how many times it happens, and at what points its happening.

And please stop making the assumption that the build they put out for a network stress test is anywhere near recent.

Yeah that was my understanding. That the version we are playing, might be an older version, and is purely being used to test the servers. That is why I'm cautious when talking about certain elements, because I'm not sure if we are playing a much older build.

swcpig

Banned
Well, people were talking about it. I own an X1, and don't really care about graphics (I have a high end PC for that). But my point was (in that rant), was that I don't really see why people should be expecting Titanfall to be 1080p etc. I'm totally fine with 720p. Do I wish it was better? Obviously. But it's not the be all to end all (at least for me).

I don't want people to panic, since this is Alpha. But I don't really think this game in its current state, runs that smoothly. I've had numerous occasions where the FPS has dipped quite a low. I have a really low ping, and an Open NAT. So I know it's not my internet. The game has a very fluid and feel to it (in terms of the speed), but I think some are ignoring the fact that this game can feel clunky at times (in terms of the FPS).

I hear ya. I don't know if will be or not. But I don't think a launch window game really answers what can or can't be done with hardware. I know a lot of folks here have judged the hardware harshly but if this game is the caliber of games we can expect to enjoy on the platform... Well that answers itself. It also how small those debates really are when confronted with a game this damn fun.

Mononoke

Banned
I hear ya. I don't know if will be or not. But I don't think a launch window game really answers what can or can't be done with hardware. I know a lot of folks here have judged the hardware harshly but if this game is the caliber of games we can expect to enjoy on the platform... Well that answers itself. It also how small those debates really are when confronted with a game this damn fun.

Pretty much how I look at it. I mean, I don't excuse poor graphics. I would be lying if I said really incredible graphics didn't add to the immersion of the game. Because they do. But at the end of the day, I'll still buy a game if the gameplay is incredible, and it's a lot of fun. That said, I do expect series to improve as they go on. I hated how COD pretty much refused to updated their stuff in a big way, so that each iteration barely had any improvements.

I'm not sure what Titanfall will look like in its final build. Respawn said the Alpha only has 25% of the texture quality. I'm not sure if the Alpha test has an older build that isn't close to the final build. But whatever it looks like at release, I do expect improvement in the sequels and so on.

Mononoke

Banned
Thank you.

So, the next game I played it didn't happen as often in terms of big drops. But i actually thought it was worse in terms of it was kind of happening a lot just running around. I notice it happens more specifically when I run by plants/trees. When I eject from a Titan and fall from the sky, there is a jutter. I notice this jutter just running around in general (but these are smaller, and not large dips. Still annoying).

The bigger dips come when I'm in a Titan and moving around quickly in the level. And when I eject from a Titan as it's about to explode. The only other time that it's really noticeable, is as I said when I'm running around or through plant life. In past games where I noticed big dips, it would be when I was sprinting and I would run underground (so quickly running through a path that takes you under the level or through a tunnel. These dips would have a big FPS drop and stutter, and then it would clear up after a couple seconds.

I'm going to imagine your average gamer won't notice the jutter as your running around, but hobbyist, and those that are enthusiasts about game performance, will not be happy (assuming this is something that happens in the final build).

Gorillaz

TF2 has massive potential the more I think of it. They can go the way of Starhawk and involve more air combat titans.

Starhawk what happened....Sony why didn't you market it
9jBmg.png

Alienous

TF2 has massive potential the more I think of it. They can go the way of Starhawk and involve more air combat titans.

You can't give it that acronym.

Anyway, for Titanfall 2, I want to be able to climb on a Titan in a simplified SOTC style. Like, climb on the leg to slow its movement. Climb on the arm to decrease its accuracy. Heck, it'd be cool if multiple players could climb on a Titan and topple it over.

Yep, Titanfall 2. That's what I have to look forward to.

One cool thing might be if the timer for your Titan changes depending on which Titan you have. Like the more powerful Titans take 5 minutes. That of course depends on there being more than the 3 Titans shown...

Doubtful. Light, Normal and Heavy Titans are accounted for. I don't think you'll get a Titan that is overpowering relative to the others.

antitrop

Does the pilot still pull the eject lever? In the leaked video I saw, it looks like the pilot just ejects without the cool animation.

Does the pilot still pull the eject lever? In the leaked video I saw, it looks like the pilot just ejects without the cool animation.

Yes, right from below the seat. There's also a perk that auto-ejects + auto-cloaks, but I've still been turning people into hamburger meat after ejection. So much fun.

Mononoke

Banned

Yes. But it depends on how you do it. If your health is low, and you eject at a certain time, you get the animation of the pilot messing with the computer and pulling the lever. If you press eject right as you explode, you just shoot out of it.

Jarmel

Banned
Doubtful. Light, Normal and Heavy Titans are accounted for. I don't think you'll get a Titan that is overpowering relative to the others.

It's kinda shitty how there are only three, especially as they all look and for the most part function identically.

Chobel

So, the next game I played it didn't happen as often in terms of big drops. But i actually thought it was worse in terms of it was kind of happening a lot just running around. I notice it happens more specifically when I run by plants/trees. When I eject from a Titan and fall from the sky, there is a jutter. I notice this jutter just running around in general (but these are smaller, and not large dips. Still annoying).

The bigger dips come when I'm in a Titan and moving around quickly in the level. And when I eject from a Titan as it's about to explode. The only other time that it's really noticeable, is as I said when I'm running around or through plant life. In past games where I noticed big dips, it would be when I was sprinting and I would run underground (so quickly running through a path that takes you under the level or through a tunnel. These dips would have a big FPS drop and stutter, and then it would clear up after a couple seconds.

I'm going to imagine your average gamer won't notice the jutter as your running around, but hobbyist, and those that are enthusiasts about game performance, will not be happy (assuming this is something that happens in the final build).

Thank you for this detailed post, I hope Respawn fix those issues in the final build.

Gorillaz

You can't give it that acronym.

Anyway, for Titanfall 2, I want to be able to climb on a Titan in a simplified SOTC style. Like, climb on the leg to slow its movement. Climb on the arm to decrease its accuracy. Heck, it'd be cool if multiple players could climb on a Titan and topple it over.

Yep, Titanfall 2. That's what I have to look forward to.

haha true

dog pile a titan could be funny tho, I wonder if they could do a multi-pilot titan. One per team having access to it. Idk just rough ideas

Mononoke

Banned
Thank you for this detailed post, I hope Respawn fix those issues in the final build.

I'm going to play a couple more games, and keep an eye out on this specifically. I noticed it yesterday, but was having so much fun, that I didn't really pay attention. But now that I'm getting the swing of things, I'm noticing some stuff a little more.

I'm sort of surprised I haven't seen more people talk about this. Because the FPS hasn't been silky 60FPS smooth during this Alpha. And it doesn't feel like a locked FPS either.

Chobel

I'm going to play a couple more games, and keep an eye out on this specifically. I noticed it yesterday, but was having so much fun, that I didn't really pay attention. But now that I'm getting the swing of things, I'm noticing some stuff a little more.

I'm sort of surprised I haven't seen more people talk about this. Because the FPS hasn't been silky 60FPS smooth during this Alpha. And it doesn't feel like a locked FPS either.

Have you tried visiting the official Titanfall alpha forum? There could be some people talking about these issues there.

Mononoke

Banned
Have you tried visiting the official Titanfall alpha forum? There could be some people talking about these issues there.

Nah, I haven't gone there. Truth to be told, I wasn't that big on Titanfall until this Alpha. I was pretty skeptical about it, and wasn't that interested. But then when I got the Alpha invited randomly, I gave it a whirl and ended up loving it.

But I'll head over there and see what folks are saying. But I'm definitely noticing more stutter and fps drops as I play more and more. It doesn't feel locked to me.

i can't play right now to test but i just watched the atlas trailer and there was sliding but i haven't noticed it can anyone confirm?

I haven't been able to slide. Also, in the Tutorial where you have to learn all the basic moves, sliding was not included.

antitrop

I have not seen that nor have I been able to do it. Perhaps a perk unlocked later on? The only moves you have is rocket boosting left, right, front and back. You use the jet boosts to dodge attacks and to flee when you are being overwhelmed.

I think it happens when you're running towards your Titan with its back facing you and press X. It happens at the end of the E3 Gameplay Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5sqPxbLmIU#t=255

bidguy

Banned
Warhawk had five or six maps and it was an online only game. As long as the gameplay is good, the number of maps doesn't matter.

no

i need a good variety of maps
urban,jungle,desert,rainy,dark whatever

the only maps we have seen so far are angel city and another one i cant remember and they are pretty dull tbh. it gets boring if you always cycle through the same maps

im hoping for 20 on release

Gorillaz

no

the only maps we have seen so far are angel city and another one i cant remember and they are pretty dull tbh. it gets boring if you always cycle through the same maps

Lol

10-12 most likely

no

Actually it really is quality not quantity. of course 5 or 6 would be really low, but 8 to 12 wouldn't be bad for this sort of game. Halo's really good maps were almost infinitely replayable and never really got boring. Having 20 mediocre maps for the sake of variety would actually kill the replay value quicker due to them not having enough thought put into them.

just my opinion I guess. I would rather have 8-10 amazing replayable maps than a ton just for the sake of variety in visual appeal. The setting or visual of the map isn't really what makes it play so well.

Top Bottom