• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

Caddle

If this game is 720p then they are using some aa because the game hardly have any jaggies. Those who say it does probably haven't played the game and just talking out of their ass. We can always verifiy who is playing, just share your gamertag.

GavinGT

Banned
If this game is 720p then they are using some aa because the game hardly have any jaggies. Those who say it does probably haven't played the game and just talking out of their ass. We can always verifiy who is playing, just share your gamertag.

Azula is definitely playing, and he says there are lots. It really depends on screen size and viewing distance, though. He's on a 55-inch.

Besides, this version isn't supposed to be representative of the final visuals.

bidguy

Banned
Azula is definitely playing, and he says there are lots. It really depends on screen size and viewing distance, though. He's on a 55-inch.

Besides, this version isn't supposed to be representative of the final visuals.

lets wait for the launch to judge the game
they dont want people to break the nda for a reason

Chobel

I don't think Azula is lying. Share with us your TV screen size and how far you sit from the TV, also is your TV 1080p?

Wow. Just... wow. As someone who practically plays nothing but CoD, this is damn, damn good. This is straight up CoD4 greatness once again. Holy shit, the real IW is back.

Mayyhem

After 8 or so games I'm starting to get bored. I'm not that excited to keep playing. If this game doesn't have as many maps as CoD does at launch (~15) I'm out.

Something just feels missing here. The game is fast paced and does feel like CoD quite a bit. It isn't a bad thing but I don't know how much the addition of mechs and mild parkour can make this series have lots of longevity for me.

I was mostly just expecting a more skillful arena shooter. Everything about this game just seems "cod easy" once you get the new mechanics down (which doesn't take long if your an average FPS player). The guns kill quick, there's a noticable amount of auto-aim, zero recoil, and tons of easy ways to eliminate pilots (let alone the lol-worthy AI). I also doubt this game will have any skill based ranking system, I envision a CoD clone EXP based unlock system (as seen in the alpha) being the only form of leveling.

I'm not a fan of the maps either. Just seem to promote random havoc, and I fail to see much competitive strategy coming out of them. Their design is rather bland as well.

Don't get me wrong, the game is fast and fluid. Because of the fact the idea is fresh and welcome in this stale FPS economy its also quite fun. That is expected of Respawn, however I don't see it being anymore than a casual CoD type shoot-em-up once things settle in. For those expecting a skill based rewarding arena shooter I don't think this is for you. Just like how I don't think CoD is for you. Which is fine, can't cater to every audience.

I hope to be proven wrong though come launch.

There is almost no chance the final game will have a different resolution than the beta. I think Respawn would have mentioned that, just like they did with the textures.

The resolution and other shortcomings should be viewed purely as the limitations of the hardware, and not the fault of Respawn.

What does that have to do with anything?

After watching some footage I went from, "I guess I have to buy an Xbox One for this," to, "I'll wait for the second on PS4."

I might change my mind during the launch hype, but something doesn't look right in the leaked vids.

NuKERxyz

After 8 or so games I'm starting to get bored. I'm not that excited to keep playing. If this game doesn't have as many maps as CoD does at launch (~15) I'm out.

Something just feels missing here. The game is fast paced and does feel like CoD quite a bit. It isn't a bad thing but I don't know how much the addition of mechs and mild parkour can make this series have lots of longevity for me.

I was mostly just expecting a more skillful arena shooter. Everything about this game just seems "cod easy" once you get the new mechanics down (which doesn't take long if your an average FPS player). The guns kill quick, there's a noticable amount of auto-aim, zero recoil, and tons of easy ways to eliminate pilots (let alone the lol-worthy AI). I also doubt this game will have any skill based ranking system, I envision a CoD clone EXP based unlock system (as seen in the alpha) being the only form of leveling.

I'm not a fan of the maps either. Just seem to promote random havoc, and I fail to see much competitive strategy coming out of them. Their design is rather bland as well.

Don't get me wrong, the game is fast and fluid. Because of the fact the idea is fresh and welcome in this stale FPS economy its also quite fun. That is expected of Respawn, however I don't see it being anymore than a casual CoD type shoot-em-up once things settle in. For those expecting a skill based rewarding arena shooter I don't think this is for you. Just like how I don't think CoD is for you. Which is fine, can't cater to every audience.

The skill that will separate the good players from the average will come by mastering the pilots control and Titan control.

Mononoke

Banned
Has anyone in Alpha been able to play with friends that were also in Alpha? All my friends are on PS4, so when I play games with friends I use that system. But I got the X1 for myself, for exclusive games. However, some Gaffers wanted to try to play this together so this is my first time actually playing an X1 game with friends.

Haven't been able to test it out until now. Just curious is someone has already tried.

derFeef

After watching some footage I went from, "I guess I have to buy an Xbox One for this," to, "I'll wait for the second on PS4."

I might change my mind during the launch hype, but something doesn't look right in the leaked vids.

Is it that it's mostly leaked offscreen vids from an alpha and not representative of the final game?

Mononoke

Banned

Yeah, I don't feel this way at all. But I really think this is a great post, and is a good perspective. I actually can't really disagree with any of your criticisms, they are all valid. And I agree, I don't think this is going to be a hardcore competitive shooter. I think it will be more seen as arcadey/quick entertainment in the same vein that COD was seen as.

That said, only time will tell if I get bored like you have. I was able to play for most of the day yesterday and didn't get bored. Getting started late today, so we'll see if my opinion changes in Day 2 of testing.

EDITED OUT HALO: As I guess it was a hardcore competitive shooter.

Has anyone in Alpha been able to play with friends that were also in Alpha? All my friends are on PS4, so when I play games with friends I use that system. But I got the X1 for myself, for exclusive games. However, some Gaffers wanted to try to play this together so this is my first time actually playing an X1 game with friends.

Haven't been able to test it out until now. Just curious is someone has already tried.

I don't think so, even the activity feed doesn't show any signs of the game being played.

derFeef

Well, it's hard to play when there's a $500 gateway to get through, so I have to make my decision based on footage.

You know it's not the final game, do you.
Plus not owning the console does seem to determine your decision anyway so I am better not asking more relevant questions now.

Yeah, I don't feel this way at all. But I really think this is a great post, and is a good perspective. I actually can't really disagree with any of your criticisms, they are all valid. And I agree, I don't think this is going to be a hardcore competitive shooter. I think it will be more seen as arcadey/quick entertainment in the same vein that COD and Halo was seen as.

That said, only time will tell if I get bored like you have. I was able to play for most of the day yesterday and didn't get bored. Getting started late today, so we'll see if my opinion changes in Day 2 of testing.

Halo:CE was a hardcore competitive shooter though.

All the positive impressions are hard to ignore, but I really just can't justify spending $60 on a multiplayer only game. I know that sentiment isn't well received here, but it's the truth for me.

Typically when I purchase shooters, I always go through the story first and take my time with it, and only dabble with the multiplayer afterwards on an on/off basis unless the multiplayer is incredibly addictive to me (Gears of War, Halo). Otherwise I probably play a total of 50 matches during my entire time of owning the game, instead replaying the campaign here and there whenever I get the urge to. So for me, MP only isn't a valuable investment as I'm afraid the initial fun and excitement will wear off quickly after...*sigh*.

HariKari

SMH at people who make profess to make purchasing decisions from alpha footage.

They should be real gamers and order off of trailer footage, right? I think it's a little pretentious to tell people how they should buy games. I mean, someone might take one look at the game (be it footage, a stream, or the alpha itself) and decide it's not for them. That's okay.

The posts about it getting a little boring and not rewarding skill are about what I expected. The initial excitement of Titans, jetpacks, and AI wear off eventually and you're left with the core game mechanics. Those have to be good enough to keep people entertained.

i don't understand this logic since there are much prettier games at higher resolutions on the same platform so in my opinion if a not so pretty game can't reach 1080p when other more demanding looking games can then i think that should be viewed as developer incompetence

Prettier games that don't run at 60 frames per second. You have to understand how much more demanding 60fps is than 30. The game had to render everything you're seeing twice as fast. It's very difficult, and they have to cut back on visuals to make it happen.

Forza is 1080p and 60

You can't compare a racing game to a first person shooter.

What does that have to do with anything?

Just heading off claims that Respawn made an "ugly" XB1 game. They did the best they could with the hardware.

Please stop with the alpha talk. This game is out in 50 days. Discs will begin being pressed in the next 30 days. This game is very nearly finished, regardless of what title they put on this current testing they're running.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Prettier games that don't run at 60 frames per second. You have to understand how much more demanding 60fps is than 30. The game had to render everything you're seeing twice as fast. It's very difficult, and they have to cut back on visuals to make it happen.

You can't compare a racing game to a first person shooter.

Just heading off claims that Respawn made an "ugly" XB1 game. They did the best they could with the hardware.

Please stop with the alpha talk. This game is out in 50 days. Discs will begin being pressed in the next 30 days. This game is very nearly finished, regardless of what title they put on this current testing they're running.

BF4 certainly looks better than this, it's no contest.

I'll also say this might be using old code and they are using it mostly for network testing/last minute balance fixing.

Alienous

BF4 certainly looks better than this, it's no contest.

I'll also say this might be using old code and they are using it mostly for network testing/last minute balance fixing.

Apparently the textures are shit on purpose for the Alpha because reasons. So the true visual fidelity of the game will only be revealed at launch, it seems.

I really hope they launch with more than 8 maps. Anything less for a multiplayer title would be pitiful.

Jarmel

Banned
One thing that I think is missing is some form of killstreaks. I despised the fuck out of them in later CODs due to how broken they can get and how they encourage camping, but they do help to mix up matches and prevent stuff from getting stale. I would have loved some form of simple killstreaks aka MW1 and WAW.

All the positive impressions are hard to ignore, but I really just can't justify spending $60 on a multiplayer only game. I know that sentiment isn't well received here, but it's the truth for me.

Typically when I purchase shooters, I always go through the story first and take my time with it, and only dabble with the multiplayer afterwards on an on/off basis unless the multiplayer is incredibly addictive to me (Gears of War, Halo). Otherwise I probably play a total of 50 matches during my entire time of owning the game, instead replaying the campaign here and there whenever I get the urge to. So for me, MP only isn't a valuable investment as I'm afraid the initial fun and excitement will wear off quickly after...*sigh*.

I'm with you, there's a lot of positivity. If anything I feel a little left out, because what I've seen doesn't excite me, and I am predisposed to agree with your view on MP only shooters.

Mononoke

Banned
I think it's telling that Crytek was making a game exclusively for MS and even they could only hit 900p (and that was with scaling down asserts). Granted, IMO Ryse looks phenomenal (and I really couldn't tell the difference between that and 1080p). But it doesn't really seem to be the norm for most devs to be hitting 1080p on Xbox One. So I don't get why people are point towards Forza as an example (especially when it's the exception and not even close to the norm).

Titanfall wasn't originally designed just for X1. So it would make sense given X1's build, and third party devs having a harder time getting 1080p with it, that it would be 720p. I don't get why people expect it to be 1080p, especially when we have games like Call of Duty ghosts not being able to hit that resolution. I know it all comes down to the Dev etc. But it's pretty clear that with X1, that a lot of third party devs have not been able to hit 1080p (compared to PS4).

One thing that I think is missing is some form of killstreaks. I despised the fuck out of them in later CODs due to how broken they can get and how they encourage camping, but they do help to mix up matches and prevent stuff from getting stale. I would have loved some form of simple killstreaks aka MW1 and WAW.

I personally came to hate Killstreaks. I think Titan's more than make up for that sort of thing. Just me though. Although I see where you are coming from. The earlier KS were a lot better than the later.

Alienous

There seems to the 3 tiers of friendly/enemy AI. Grunts that walk and serve as bullet fodder, a more proficient class of AI (I can't remember their names) that are robotic and can traverse rooftops and a third class. I'm wondering if they key into some kind of killstreak reward system.

Also, you can earn (it seems) perks during Titan combat from killing. One such perk bolsters your Titan damage.

I really hope they launch with more than 8 maps. Anything less for a multiplayer title would be pitiful.

Does the current alpha have 8 maps?

Are we sure there are no streaks present? That would be a little disappointing to me if the only thing you could earn were Titans. I was hoping there were maybe a few more surprises.

Chobel

Now that you mention it, Respawn said there's some kind of campaign mode even though it's multiplayer only game. Nobody here talked about this.

So I'll ask my fellow alpha testers: how does this exactly work?

Mononoke

Banned
Does the current alpha have 8 maps?

Are we sure there are no streaks present? That would be a little disappointing to me if the only thing you could earn were Titans. I was hoping there were maybe a few more surprises.

I've yet to see killstreaks. Although maybe I'm not high enough level to have it?

Jarmel

Banned
I personally came to hate Killstreaks. I think Titan's more than make up for that sort of thing. Just me though. Although I see where you are coming from. The earlier KS were a lot better than the later.

MW2 fucked things up as everything just got too bloated. In later CODs, the killstreaks were too many and too much. In MW1 and WAW, they weren't game changers but something nice to look forward to if you were doing well. MW2 went insane with stuff like nukes and other high level kill streaks that encouraged camping.

Now that you mention it, Respawn said there's some kind of campaign mode even though it's multiplayer only game. Nobody here talked about this.

So I'll ask my fellow alpha testers: how does this exactly work?
Yea, they've said that since the beginning. They have a 'campaign inspired' multiplayer mode. Thing is, it's still multiplayer. I'm still playing against others. There isn't a traditional SP with cutscenes, voice acting, dialogue, story objectives, etc, as noted by Respawn.

HariKari

MW2 fucked things up as everything just got too bloated. In later CODs, the killstreaks were too many and too much. In MW1 and WAW, they weren't game changers but something nice to look forward to if you were doing well. MW2 went insane with stuff like nukes and other high level kill streaks that encouraged camping.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter has the best killstreak system, IMO. They give you a utility reward that goes with the theme of your class. The demolition class, which is slow and has zero range, can get an M32 grenade launcher (can't be reloaded) as a reward. The pointman, a scout class of sorts, could get a small UAV that would fly around and mark targets for you. You could also choose between 2 rewards at each tier, depending on whether or not you wanted something defensive in nature like smoke or offensive like the grenade launcher.

It's a lot better than blanket stuff that just kills the enemy team ala MW2 and later games.

Yea, they've said that since the beginning. They have a 'campaign inspired' multiplayer mode. Thing is, it's still multiplayer. I'm still playing against others. There isn't a traditional SP with cutscenes, voice acting, dialogue, story objectives, etc, as noted by Respawn.

One can only hope they didn't skimp on modes and maps then.

antitrop

Oh, huh, apparently Abbie Heppe (Community Manager for Respawn) is the one doing the VO for Sarah, the character that tells you when your Titan is ready.

No wonder I thought the character had a cute voice.

swcpig

Banned
I think it's telling that Crytek was making a game exclusively for MS and even they could only hit 900p (and that was with scaling down asserts). Granted, IMO Ryse looks phenomenal (and I really couldn't tell the difference between that and 1080p). But it doesn't really seem to be the norm for most devs to be hitting 1080p on Xbox One. So I don't get why people are point towards Forza as an example (especially when it's the exception and not even close to the norm).

Titanfall wasn't originally designed just for X1. So it would make sense given X1's build, and third party devs having a harder time getting 1080p with it, that it would be 720p. I don't get why people expect it to be 1080p, especially when we have games like Call of Duty ghosts not being able to hit that resolution. I know it all comes down to the Dev etc. But it's pretty clear that with X1, that a lot of third party devs have not been able to hit 1080p (compared to PS4).

can we not turn this thread into a graphics war thread?

2. But I just get a sneaking suspicion that 8 will be the total number of maps.

If they ship this game with 8 maps all hell is going to break loose. A $60 multiplayer only game has to have more than 8 maps.

Oh, huh, apparently Abbie Heppe (Community Manager for Respawn) is the one doing the VO for Sarah, the character that tells you when your Titan is ready.

No wonder I thought the character had a cute voice.

That I hilarious because I suspected that was her months ago, and tweeted her asking if it was, and she ignored me. :(

Well, I suppose they feel they can more or less gauge whether or not they want the game based on the footage shown, but I think this game is a very different beast when the player really does an amazing job taking advantage of the pilot's wall running and thruster pack abilities, and if they actually take advantage of the ability to get out of the titan. From what I've seen, very few people ever exit the titan and let it stand guard or follow them around.

Take some risks, folks!

Mononoke

Banned
can we not turn this thread into a graphics war thread?

Well, people were talking about it. I own an X1, and don't really care about graphics (I have a high end PC for that). But my point was (in that rant), was that I don't really see why people should be expecting Titanfall to be 1080p etc. I'm totally fine with 720p. Do I wish it was better? Obviously. But it's not the be all to end all (at least for me).

I don't want people to panic, since this is Alpha. But I don't really think this game in its current state, runs that smoothly (I say that, in comparison to other AAA FPS). I've had numerous occasions where the FPS has dipped quite a low. I have a really low ping, and an Open NAT. So I know it's not my internet. The game has a very fluid and feel to it (in terms of the speed), but I think some are ignoring the fact that this game can feel clunky at times (in terms of the FPS).

This sort of worries me, given the texture resolution is already been lowered substantially. But again, I'm totally ignorant when it comes to this sort of stuff. I don't really get how this testing works, or how a game should be functioning with regards to all that stuff.

simples

Banned
Well, people were talking about it. I own an X1, and don't really care about graphics (I have a high end PC for that). But my point was (in that rant), was that I don't really see why people should be expecting Titanfall to be 1080p etc. I'm totally fine with 720p. Do I wish it was better? Obviously. But it's not the be all to end all (at least for me).

i only play native 4k resolution

i have standards

Top Bottom