• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

antitrop

Do the casual crowd even pay attention to reviews? Word of mouth seems more likely.

Word of mouth starts with reviews, and casuals absolutely do pay attention to them (if nothing else in the press). All it takes is one guy to say "Hey, I read on IGN that Titanfall is a new game from the makers of the old Call of Duties and that it absolutely shits all over the new ones" to pique a CoD-faithful's interest enough to at least maybe search the word "Titanfall" on YouTube or something.

A lot of casuals read IGN, and you can see Ryan McCaffery's Titanfall boner from space.

kiguel182

The leaked footage actually made me interested in this game.

I wonder how it runs on low-end PCs since I only have a laptop and I'm not going to buy a X1.

Good thing about Origin is the whole refund thing, I might try it to see if it works at least. Hopefully the system requirements will be released soon. I'm starting to get interested lol

So how is the AI?

Also, do y'all think this is different enough from COD from a mainstream perspective to pick up any traction? Obviously marketing has not begun just yet, but, as far as I know, a bunch of my friends who play COD/Madden religiously have no clue this game even exists.
Completely.
Especially after COD Ghosts was such a crap game.

Bsigg12

Thinking about it now and, this same game could have almost surely came out being called Call of Duty: Titanfall or something more clever and it would just be seen as a futuristic CoD, without much questions asked.

Pretty much. I wonder if this has been something Zampella wanted to do before the Infinity Ward and Activision thing happened.

antitrop

Pretty much. I wonder if this has been something Zampella wanted to do before the Infinity Ward and Activision thing happened.

Zampella and West were always looking for the next big thing they could do. They didn't even want Call of Duty 2 to be a WW2 game, and then had to fight tooth and nail to bring 4 into "Modern Warfare", while Treyarch putzed around with 3.

Lunzio

Another interesting thing to discuss with regards to Titanfall is what kind of effect hype will have on impressions/reviews. I'm certainly looking forward to getting my hands on the game, but you have to admit that there's a fairly prominent expectation in games media telling me that I should grow weak in the knees and be head over heels for this game - more so than any game in recent memory.

Bioshock Infinite is probably the most recent example I can think of. I loved the crap out of that one and it still was a favorite of mine by the end of the year, but comparing it's reception at it's release versus months later, many people cooled on it and even brought about some severe criticisms on its story/gunplay.

Alienous

Word of mouth starts with reviews, and casuals absolutely do pay attention to them (if nothing else in the press). All it takes is one guy to say "Hey, I read on IGN that Titanfall is a new game from the makers of the old Call of Duties and that it absolutely shits all over the new ones" to pique a CoD-faithful's interest enough to at least maybe search the word "Titanfall" on YouTube or something.

I really don't think so.

The COD faithful tends towards being a causal crowd. I could release a game better than FIFA, with the original game director, and the audience wouldn't care enough to transfer from the series. Add to that the fact that Titanfall is Sci-Fi and that the reduces the universal appeal.

And EA will have a hard time spreading the 'From the makers of the older Call of Duty's' message. Yeah, they'll cherry pick reviewer quotes to get that on the back of the box, but Call of Duty still exists. I don't think the developer is in a casual players consciousness anymore.

It isn't a simple game to market, and it sure as hell won't replace COD.

antitrop

And EA will have a hard time spreading the 'From the makers of the older Call of Duty's' message. Yeah, they'll cherry pick reviewer quotes to get that on the back of the box, but Call of Duty still exists. I don't think the developer is in a casual players consciousness anymore.

Anecdotally, I have a couple of friends that buy 1 game a year, the new CoD, and were so mortified by Ghosts that they said they don't really know if they want to buy this year's version. They might not know about Titanfall, yet, but they're absolutely looking for the next thing. We're talking people who Prestige'd like 20 times in Black Ops II and have already stopped playing Ghosts completely.

I think Ghosts being so poorly received is the greatest thing that could have happened to Titanfall. If it had been slated to come out several months after a well-received CoD, it wouldn't have the same impact.

Another interesting thing to discuss with regards to Titanfall is what kind of effect hype will have on impressions/reviews. I'm certainly looking forward to getting my hands on the game, but you have to admit that there's a fairly prominent expectation in games media telling me that I should grow weak in the knees and be head over heels for this game - more so than any game in recent memory.

Bioshock Infinite is probably the most recent example I can think of. I loved the crap out of that one and it still was a favorite of mine by the end of the year, but comparing it's reception at it's release versus months later, many people cooled on it and even brought about some severe criticisms on its story/gunplay.
Go read the responses here, on twitter, etc. about Alpha and you'll have your answer as to if a TitanFall meets expectations ;)

Can't count the amount of incredible moments I've had in this game... "Xbox Record That" is gonna be coming out of your mouth on a regular basis!!

Believe dat!!!

Not the biggest competitive multiplayer fan but the excitement for this game is infectious. Really wish I had gotten that Alpha invite now!

The extreme speed and verticality completely changes the infantry game. It's satisfying gunplay either way.
Seriously. The gameplay is honesty not like any other FPS out there right now, and I've played almost all the major ones in the past 5 years.
I wish I could talk more about it without getting in trouble :(

antitrop

Seriously. The gameplay is honesty not like any other FPS out there right now, and I've played almost all the major ones in the past 5 years.
I wish I could talk more about it without getting in trouble :(

I'm sure the marketing campaign will kick into Mach 1 come early February, so we'll have plenty to talk about. MS and EA are going to put everything they have behind this one. MS to talk about their new console, and EA to try to make people forget the sting of BF4.

I'm sure the marketing campaign will kick into Mach 1 come early February, so we'll have plenty to talk about. MS and EA are going to put everything they have behind this one. MS to talk about their new console, and EA to try to make people forget the sting of BF4.

EA will market this but MS will help?

MNC

The videos I've seen look... Kind of empty. And pretty baseless deathmatch stuff. Typical COD/BF4 syndrome. :/ Was hoping for atleast a medic class or something.

The extreme speed and verticality completely changes the infantry game. It's satisfying gunplay either way.

I didn't find CoD's gunplay satisfying at all. No recoil, excessive aim assists, point in the general area of your opponent and get a headshot; I think it's the easiest FPS out there to score kills with (depending on your connection) after Perfect Dark.

Does this mean I won't like Titanfall's gameplay? Or is the fact that I can scramble on walls and also jump into a mech, going to completely change my opinion of the sloppy gunplay?

I didn't find CoD's gunplay satisfying at all. No recoil, excessive aim assists, point in the general area of your opponent and get a headshot; I think it's the easiest FPS out there to score kills with (depending on your connection) after Perfect Dark.

Does this mean I won't like Titanfall's gameplay? Or is the fact that I can scramble on walls and also jump into a mech, going to completely change my opinion of the sloppy gunplay?
No, I wouldn't say that.

OG Kush

The leaked footage actually made me interested in this game.

I wonder how it runs on low-end PCs since I only have a laptop and I'm not going to buy a X1.

Good thing about Origin is the whole refund thing, I might try it to see if it works at least. Hopefully the system requirements will be released soon. I'm starting to get interested lol

leaked footage? link?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I really don't think so.

The COD faithful tends towards being a causal crowd. I could release a game better than FIFA, with the original game director, and the audience wouldn't care enough to transfer from the series. Add to that the fact that Titanfall is Sci-Fi and that the reduces the universal appeal.

True enough but CoD certainly isn't Fifa, Fifa is linked to world's most popular sport and has by far the best licenses. Any football fan will see the allure of playing the teams, tournaments and players they enjoy, in comparison to not playing with them.

CoD is simply a fps, a very popular fps but just an fps none the less. There's nothing to set it apart from competiton aside from it's popularity and the reasons for it's popularity. Just like CoD replaced Halo another fps can replace CoD. It may be a slower transition but it's more than certainly possible.

antitrop

Pretty sure this is where they wanted to go next after CoD. Activison wasn't trying to hear it most likely

You would think they would trust Infinity Ward after West/Zampella fought with them to get Modern Warfare to be what it was, the game that launched the franchise into the stratosphere of popularity. But, Activision gonna Activision.

CoD is simply a fps, a very popular fps but just an fps none the less. There's nothing to set it apart from competiton aside from it's popularity and the reasons for it's popularity.

I think the thing that sets COD apart is the super responsive controls, the perks system, and the leveling up mechanics. That was all quite unique when COD4 hit the scene.

Even today though, very few FPS have controls as responsive as COD and a perk system as well executed and varied.

You would think they would trust Infinity Ward after West/Zampella fought with them to get Modern Warfare to be what it was, the game that launched the franchise into the stratosphere of popularity. But, Activision gonna Activision.

I'm not here to disagree, but look at how much cash they made milking the modern war setting. There was definitely a risk attached to it.

They're difficult to compare because of how different the action constantly transitions with having to center the hotspots of conflict around harder-to-kill Titans and the Swiss cheese-interconnectedness of the map design for on-foot. To play this game well is to master the maps and navigation in ways you'd never need or be able to in any other FPS. Very different formula, despte both being about shooting at each other. Guess I'll stop my comments at that, but you'll need to play a few matches to understand why it's pointless to compare.

Yes, you are right.
I will keep an open mind when playing the game.
At least try to.
Good idea, sounds like you're interested in the other aspects of the game so I think you'll enjoy it.
As I said before, gameplay doesn't really feel like any game out there. Mixes aspects of various games with fresh mechanics, results in a completely unique identity.
There's a lot in the game that feels highly competitive. Including the movement, gunplay, etc.

Gorillaz

It basically came down to which was more risky to lose? The IP or the IP makers

You can possibly strike gold again with the IP makers or you can continue to strike gold with the IP itself. That was Activision's line of thinking

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think the thing that sets COD apart is the super responsive controls, the perks system, and the leveling up mechanics. That was all quite unique when COD4 hit the scene.

Even today though, very few FPS have controls as responsive as COD and a perk system as well executed and varied.

Those are part of the features that make CoD popular like I mentioned. Those are not however unique to CoD anyone can take those things and make improvements alterations etc.

Unlike Fifa's license which would require you to buy to have a decent chance at competition.

T.O.P

Banned
Welp watched anything i could find, hype is over the roof even more than before

Hope to see a info blowout in February :)

Top Bottom